online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Why 1-3-1 defense has been removed from NBA 2K15

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section sports

10 years ago '10        #1
22544 page views
0 comments

Hovi Bryant 
Props total: 24436 24 K  Slaps total: 6533 6 K
Why 1-3-1 defense has been removed from NBA 2K15

I read this thread a few days ago on Operation Sports, and I thought it was worth summarizing it all up for you good folks here on BX. Before that, here's who's who for those not in the know:

LD2K - Chris Manning, community manager for NBA 2K

OGSPORTS - Scott O'Gallagher, former NBA Live dev and currently gameplay producer of 2K

Da_Czar - Long-time poster at Operation Sports, now employed at Visual Concepts (2K dev)

MMChrisS said

It seems Scott O'Gallagher's presence on the NBA 2K team is being felt already. ↪ In a tweet earlier today ↪ after the release of the Yakkem trailer, O'Gallagher claimed that both the charging cheese and the 1-3-1 defense are both no longer in the game -- both have been major complaints of sim-heads for quite awhile.

In a tweet clarifying the above statement
, Chris Manning said, "When you move your player around them, you will and can dribble around defenders. No more quick-draw charges."

So there is some good gameplay news for you today. How do you like both changes?
 LD2k said
It was removed fairly recently. They had addressed multiple issues to why it was considered "overpowered" last year prior to it's removal. Lots of factors. Lots of improvements.

More on that later.

NBA 2K15's gameplay team has been ki1ling it improving on everything from a gameplay perspective across the board.

Competitive 2K. :)
 LD2k said
 ckgray said
How did charge cheese ever get through to the release of 2K14?...I mean, it's flagrant cheese. They had to have known about it during testing.

Player behavior thing. A little dog can look so cute until you go to pet it and it bites your hand, making you bleed and question how a little Yorkie could bite so hard... mean dog, unpredictable.

I guess I'm saying some online users are like little biting out-of-control Yorkies.

LD2k said
 thedream2k13 said
Will the post game be relevant this year? Seems like no one uses it

Depends on if you want to win or lose this year.
 OGSPORTS said
What’s good SimNation?!

I apologize for not posting in here earlier. Anyway… let’s talk about the removal of the 1-3-1 cheddar! :) As many of you have posted in here, it’s not a defense that NBA teams play. This wasn’t even a hard decision, to be honest. We knew it had to be taken out. I’ve been fortunate enough to speak with over half of the coaches in the league and they have all communicated the same message, “Nobody in league plays a straight 1-3-1.” This includes Doc Rivers, who we spoke with last week. Let us understand that the 1-3-1 that was in 2k14 was the same scheme that you would see in college hoops. I could go on and on for why teams don’t use it.

I’m big into ranked matches; anyone who’s played online knows that whenever your opponent got in trouble, he would go right to that cheddar zone! There’s obviously other reasons why that zone was so effective, though we will break down those improvements later. I’m very pleased to see the responses thus far for removing it.

“X’s and O’s”
I think what may confuse some is when you see that initial 1-3-1 look as the PG is bringing up the ball. I’ve seen it in the NBA as well. This is just a “junk look” until the first pass. For example, a team like Dallas may show a 1-3-1 until the first pass, then they will drop into a 2-3/3-2 or a match up 2-3. You will hear Carlisle yell “13 to 23”…that’s all it means.

OG

Da_Czar said
 Mintsa said
Not sure I agree with removing 1-3-1 zone from the game in order to remove it's cheesiness. There has to be another way.
As OG mentioned earlier there are other, as yet unannounced improvements, that also reduced the overpowered 1-3-1's effectiveness.

At the end of the day it was removed simply because NBA teams don't use it. Not because it was still too powerful. At least in my estimation.
 Original thread here

Last edited by Hovi Bryant; 08-29-2014 at 08:40 AM..
+6   

icon
best
icon
worst
0 comments

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+829
Image(s) inside Damn she living like that
125 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props-266
Image(s) inside The difference between a 30 year old in the 80s vs 2024
35 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+346
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career
287 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
logo 🌈⏸️ SHE-Wade confirms he's been a BATTYMON 💅 ..
41 comments
2 days ago
@sports