This is BX @ Boxden.com

Vikings Coach Leslie Frazier's Reaction To Not Receiving Extension After 10-6 Season

Vikings Coach Leslie Frazier's Reaction To Not Receiving Extension After 10-6 Season
topic by Young_ - 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53345/leslie-frazier-navigating-purgatory

Lotta #### talked in this article but imo they made the right choice. AP had such an unusual year for any RB, he'd only won 6 games total before this past year, and that division ain't gonna just lie down for em he could f!ght hard & still go 8-8. This interview ain't done yet.

INDIANAPOLIS -- If Leslie Frazier were more of a jerk, chances are he would have a contract extension by now. I found that conclusion difficult to avoid Friday while talking to Frazier about his arrival in contract purgatory during the third offseason of his tenure with the Minnesota Vikings.

When team officials decided against extending his deal after a breakthrough 10-6 season, disregarding a common practice among NFL teams, they knew Frazier was too nice to make a public stink and too loyal to question them privately. In football and every business, money is the best tool for keeping the personnel peace. But Frazier's classy demeanor rendered it unnecessary and no doubt emboldened the team in taking a defensible, but hard-line approach to Frazier's future.

In essence, as we discussed last week, the Vikings have told Frazier that his performance has not met their standard for long-term security. By simply picking up a previously-unreported option, keeping Frazier under contract through 2014, the Vikings met the minimum level of professional decency and nothing more.

To no one's surprise, Frazier offered not a single disparaging word about the situation during a series of questions from local reporters here at the scouting combine. But it seemed clear that he had expected the Vikings to make an offer, and it was easy to read the disappointment in his body language. Frazier admirably pledged to accept the judgment, but it would be a perfectly human reaction to be hurt by it.

"What I believe and what actually is, that's what you have to deal with," Frazier said. "As you guys know, that's the reality. And that's what I want to deal with -- the reality of the situation. You guys are well aware of what my situation is. There was an announcement made. That's where things are. I'm excited to be the head coach of the Vikings. I like the job that I have, and I like the team that we have."

Frazier has been the Vikings' coach for about two and a half seasons. He was 3-3 as an interim coach in 2009, 3-13 in 2011 and 10-6 in 2012. You could reasonably argue that a 16-22 career record isn't good enough to merit a long-term commitment, and it's true that the option year gave the Vikings an efficient alternative. After all, one could say, why spend money when you don't have to?

But this wasn't just a business decision. It was also an unwritten job review. If the Vikings were convinced that Frazier was equipped to be their coach in the long term, they would have ripped up the option year and offered him an extension. Frazier is smart and has been in the NFL a long time. He understands the underlying message: His bosses aren't sold on him yet. And in his case, they didn't feel compelled to commit a few million dollars to avoid the discussion we're having right now.

Frazier said Friday that he "moved on" as soon as he was informed of the decision, an answer that lets the Vikings off the hook for creating what could be a distraction in 2013.

"My focus shifted," Frazier said. "I've just go to let my agent handle what needs to be handled, and I've got to remove myself from that and concentrate on what I have to get done."

So what happened here? First, we have to remember what we've discussed before: Frazier is working for a general manager who did not hire him. Rick Spielman was the Vikings' vice president of player personnel when owner Zygi Wilf elevated Frazier into the permanent job in January 2011, apparently without conducing another interview. A year later, Spielman was promoted to general manager and Wilf said "all football-related activities" would be his responsibility.

If Spielman had recommended a contract extension, I'm sure it would have happened. If Wilf ignored Spielman's advice, then I would be concerned for the future of this front-office structure. I'm going to a$sume that's not the case. Asked this week about Frazier, Spielman only said: "I know we're very excited and ownership is very excited with what Leslie has done with this football team."

Again, many of you might agree with a cautious approach. There is plenty of gray area here. But in the name of caution and efficiency, the Vikings have set up a very public judgment year for Frazier. His career as a head coach depends on similar or better success in 2013. If the Vikings slip, he will almost certainly be fired. That's a tough message to send in the weeks after a playoff season.

"The most important thing for me," Frazier said, "and the best thing I can do for our team is to really focus on getting our guys ready to have a great season. That's all that's important, that's the only thing that's important. I think our players, coaches, from a leadership standpoint, I can't ever forget that. They derive a lot of their energy from me. I need to make sure I'm focused on what we needed to get done in order to have a great year."

I wouldn't have expected any less honorable of an answer than that. I've covered other coaches in unfavorable contract situations. They usually devolve into awkward and uncomfortable spaces. If anyone can maintain serenity at a moment of career uncertainty, it's Leslie Frazier. Make no mistake: His bosses know that, too. And so here we are. ...

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

34 comments for "Vikings Coach Leslie Frazier's Reaction To Not Receiving Extension After 10-6 Season"

02-22-2013, 01:44 PMonline - #2
TimmyGee 3 heat pts

d 
space
$7,334 | 18482520
This gonna turn into a race war again.
I ain't knocking it though
 02-22-2013, 01:44 PMonline - #3
#JewLife 70 heat pts70

d 
space
$11,347 | POWERFUL
Handing the ball to Adrian doesn't warrant an extension.
 02-22-2013, 01:47 PMaway - #4
Peterparker 9 heat pts

d 
space
$13,664 | POWERFUL
Hmmmmmm i'm not shocked but you know why i'm not shocked and it rhymes with "SLACK"
 02-22-2013, 01:53 PMaway - #5
Young_ 215 heat pts215

d 
space
$20,077 | POWERFUL
homie coulda also went 9-7 and this wouldn't even be a conversation. only 1 win difference
 02-22-2013, 02:00 PMonline - #6
justinjones 228 heat pts228

d 
space
$42,103 | POWERFUL
my uncle grew up with him so im rooting for the vikings to do well enough for him to keep his job
 02-22-2013, 02:03 PMaway - #7
shadymilkman 9 heat pts

d 
space
$4,242 | 17368799
Originally Posted by Peterparker
Hmmmmmm i'm not shocked but you know why i'm not shocked and it rhymes with "SLACK"

He smoke Crack?
 02-22-2013, 02:03 PMaway - #8
Dangerously 199 heat pts199

d 
space
$42,944 | POWERFUL
If Lovie can lose his job AND not get hired, there's no hope for this cornball brotha.
 02-22-2013, 02:05 PMonline - #9
G Code 37 heat pts37

d 
space
$4,836 | POWERFUL
Hope he gets a nice long extension
 02-22-2013, 02:24 PMaway - #10
WhoNextWithPlex 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$6,724 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Peterparker
he went 16-22 because hes black?

thats racist bro
 02-22-2013, 02:29 PMaway - #11
JohnDoe B1 

d 
space
$5,319 | 12243860
Originally Posted by Thee Yung Star
Handing the ball to Adrian doesn't warrant an extension.
 02-22-2013, 02:59 PMaway - #12
Michael 1987 632 heat pts632

d 
space
$57,973 | POWERFUL
 02-22-2013, 03:01 PMaway - #13
3rdcoasta 101 heat pts101

d 
space
$2,938 | POWERFUL
let the ni##a coach mayne!
 02-22-2013, 03:42 PMaway - #14
GUNIT-FINEST 

d 
space
$16,301 | POWERFUL
of course they wont sign him because they dont really want him he is just a filler as soon as they have a bad season prob next year they will fire him and bring in the cracker coach that they really want. I dont see how anyone is still shock by this bs
 02-22-2013, 03:45 PMaway - #15
DJ Maximum|M 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$35,579 | POWERFUL
ni##as get fired for being 10-6 and other coaches keep their job being 6-10

race does play a part to an extent i hate to admit that
 02-22-2013, 04:21 PMonline - #16
#JewLife 70 heat pts70

d 
space
$11,347 | POWERFUL
Schottenheimer got fired after going 14-2.

Shut that race #### up.
 02-22-2013, 05:34 PMaway - #17
Young_ 215 heat pts215

d 
space
$20,077 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Thee Yung Star
Schottenheimer got fired after going 14-2.

Shut that race #### up.
shottenheimer got fired by AJ Smith's dumb a$s u kno that #### don't count
 02-22-2013, 05:36 PMaway - #18
Bkjj11 189 heat pts189

d 
space
$36,381 | POWERFUL
how come josh freeman didnt get an extension yet
 02-22-2013, 05:43 PMaway - #19
Moony Jackson 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$16,708 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by GUNIT-FINEST
of course they wont sign him because they dont really want him he is just a filler as soon as they have a bad season prob next year they will fire him and bring in the cracker coach that they really want. I dont see how anyone is still shock by this bs
he wasn't even hired to be head coach he was a$sistant and then became interim
 02-22-2013, 06:09 PMaway - #20
Bullseye 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$6,794 | POWERFUL
This definitely ain't about race. They just need another year to see if it's worth extending him yet and I don't blame them. AD's historic season made a lot of things look better than they did. AD saved Frazier's job. Their season was spiraling down before AD turned beast mode. One more season to prove he's a right coach before showing him the money is the right move.

Last edited by Bullseye; 02-22-2013 at 06:11 PM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Rainbow Six: Siege MP Gameplay Video
56 comments
Image inside  So who's copping Destiny?
80 comments
Destiny will have 22 Story Missions, 11 Crucible Maps, 6 Strike..
97 comments
 Image(s) inside [chiwire] Durk Fu-kin W/ The Opps, Fredo Not With The ...
New reply 59 seconds ago - 161 comments - by Squadd
 Image(s) inside Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice Footage And Wonder...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 151 comments - by Doc Logical
 Video inside Batman V Superman Comic-con Trailer
New reply 2 minutes ago - 89 comments - by SM
 NBA Rumor Heat Twitter Account Lost 300k Followers Since B...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 51 comments - by Motion
 Video inside Dj Star Gets Chased Off The Block... Nigga Looked So S...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 71 comments - by g0tt1
  Fab Tucced His Chain In Detroit Fuccin Wit Vezzo And T...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 105 comments - by SavageMitten
  Jul 26 - I’ve Worked At Mcdonald’s For 10 Years And St...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 278 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 Image(s) inside What's Your Favorite Drink From The Freestyle Coca Col...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 76 comments - by EscoNore

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,757 fans of BX and 3 new today 4,750 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.