This is BX @ Boxden.com

TIME VS LEGEND (I want that ol' thing back)

TIME VS LEGEND (I want that ol' thing back)
topic by Cambury - 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

My observation has been that in the years after the legendary players have retired the media and fans have tried their hardest to pinpoint the next heir (or "air" if you believe Jordan to be the greatest) to the the throne.

The most common way to do this would be to find a great current player than to take his age or years in the league and compare him with that of his likeness. I don't agree of disagree with this form of comparison, I just like it to be within reason and for it not to be taking out of context. Recently I have noticed a growing trend with the fans of sports...they live in the "NOW" and forgotten are the legends.

The best example is how Dwight Howard was given and accepted the "Superman" moniker and Shaq is still in the league, still playing for championships and still a factor albeit not as significant as in previous years nonetheless a starting center on a good team. Dwight is less like an early Shaq and more like Kevin Willis (check the stats). This trend is one of the many things that is k!lling the sport and competent conversation about the game and its players. We all are fans of players who have rivals some valid some not. It seems as though the present has taken on more value than it has ever had in a sport that is timeless. Time was always just an illusion. We would ignore Time and still talk about Ali vs Tyson, Shaq vs Chamberlain, Kobe vs Jordan all with respect to these athletes legendary careers. THIS IS WHERE THE HATE MAY COME IN NUMBERS...

It has come to my attention that Kobe Bryant is the latest victim of "Time". Threads come and threads go some tasteful and some hard to swallow like brussell sprouts. The amount of disrespect for one of the games legendary players makes me sad for the sport and happy that he, Tim Duncan, Shaq and KG are all able to get out the sport now because of the change that is occurring.

I see threads comparing Lebron, Dwayne, Carmelo and other top perimeter players to "Bean" and it is very clear that yesterdays enemy "Time" has successfully brainwashed fans into believing that nothing else matters. An argument that one player is better than the next because "if they switch teams he would make the other team better" is something I have never heard of before and is absurd reasoning.

The inspiration behind this "LONG a$s READ" was a thread I saw today. I open it up and not to my surprise it says "at this point Melo will surpass Kobe who is at his peak...", really? I have tried throughout the years and to some success, to not entertain any arguments I deem to be of no debate but I guess dude caught me at the right time. Melo is in his 7th year in the NBA and is playing some awesome basketball, arguably one of the best scorers in the game right now BUT Kobe Bryant is in his 7th year (2002-03, 24 years old) became LEGENDARY.

During that year Kobe lead a championship team thru their season like not many before him and noone after him as of yet. Bean averaged 40 points over the month of February, played some of the best defense and showed an undying will to win at any cost. Melo this year has battled some injuries but is posting a gawdy 29.2 ppg 6.4 rpg 3.4 apg, Bryant played all 82 games that year and posted 30 ppg 6.9 rpg 5.9 apg alongside another forgotten legend Shaquille O'neal who missed 15 games makes those numbers even more impressive because his best came in those stretches. The Cambury definition of "Greatness" is to consistently do great things during the times when you are needed most. No disrespect to Melo but Kobe was clearly better than even Kobe's stats in that year and if he was fully unleashed...well we won't even discuss because the lawd had mercy on their souls. MODERATORS CAN NOW CLOSE VJLINDSE'S THREAD "CARMELLO BETTER THAN KOBE AND LEBRON".

There is no way you can compare what someone has done to what someone might do. This is one of many examples showing that "Time" has had a gruesome affects on the way the average fan sees players now. I propose fans to take more of a responsibility when speaking about sports and their players to do the research so that they may not seem so foolish when speaking to those that Love the game and its legends. There is still hope if we can educate ourselves and others about our Legends so that we may keep the conversations tasteful and the sport TIMELESS.

THE OUTRO

*Respectful Bow*

Latest Sports Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

56 comments for "TIME VS LEGEND (I want that ol' thing back)"

02-15-2010, 01:08 PMaway - #2
Main Event 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$36,116 | POWERFUL
 02-15-2010, 01:10 PMaway - #3
Sabotage 8 heat pts

d 
space
$17,093 | POWERFUL
<------ not reading that one big a$s paragraph.

I can bet it doesnt make a whole lot of sense though
 02-15-2010, 01:12 PMonline - #4
Cambury 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$24,211 | POWERFUL
do my #### need to say ESPN Analyst for ni##as to feel like its valid...gimme a break, ####s a good read
 02-15-2010, 01:12 PMonline - #5
Cambury 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$24,211 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Sabotage
<------ not reading that one big a$s paragraph.

I can bet it doesnt make a whole lot of sense though
put ya money where ya mouf is
 02-15-2010, 01:13 PMaway - #6
Sabotage 8 heat pts

d 
space
$17,093 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cambury
do my #### need to say ESPN Analyst for ni##as to feel like its valid...gimme a break, ####s a good read
no but paragraph breaks wouldnt hurt you turkey neck ####
 02-15-2010, 01:15 PMaway - #7
Rynoh 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Main Event
I bet you gotta whole .gif stash saved on MS Word.
 02-15-2010, 01:16 PMonline - #8
Cambury 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$24,211 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Sabotage
no but paragraph breaks wouldnt hurt you turkey neck ####
i indented when i wrote it myself i thought it would go thru...i didnt kno which button to press for it to show up when i submitted
 02-15-2010, 01:25 PMaway - #9
PBM24 6 heat pts

d 
space
$1,453 | 3643616
kobe haters are idiots and dont respect the game.

kobe played with shaq and still put up those numbers, if he was a second option on that team why was he putting up better numbers that melo is and he's the number one option.

melo imo will never be better than kobe. he might have a good scoring career but kobe has his number on that one too. melo try averaging 35 ppg, 5 apg and 4.5 rpg and make it to the playoffs and almost knock off the 2nd place suns.
 02-15-2010, 01:34 PMaway - #10
Rico23 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$34,135 | POWERFUL
My observation has been that in the years after the legendary players have retired the media and fans have tried their hardest to pinpoint the next heir (or "air" if you believe Jordan to be the greatest) to the the throne. The most common way to do this would be to find a great current player than to take his age or years in the league and compare him with that of his likeness. I don't agree of disagree with this form of comparison, I just like it to be within reason and for it not to be taking out of context. Recently I have noticed a growing trend with the fans of sports...they live in the "NOW" and forgotten are the legends.
The best example is how Dwight Howard was given and accepted the "Superman" moniker and Shaq is still in the league, still playing for championships and still a factor albeit not as significant as in previous years nonetheless a starting center on a good team. This trend is one of the many things that is k!lling the sport and competent conversation about the game and its players. We all are fans of players who have rivals some valid some not. It seems as though the present has taken on more value than it has ever had in a sport that is timeless. Time was always just an illusion. We would ignore Time and still talk about Ali vs Tyson, Shaq vs Chamberlain, Kobe vs Jordan all with respect to these athletes legendary careers. THIS IS WHERE THE HATE MAY COME IN NUMBERS...
It has come to my attention that Kobe Bryant is the latest victim of "Time". Threads come and threads go some tasteful and some hard to swallow like brussell sprouts. The amount of disrespect for one of the games legendary players makes me sad for the sport and happy that he, Tim Duncan, Shaq and KG are all able to get out the sport now because of the change that is occurring. I see threads comparing Lebron, Dwayne, Carmelo and other top perimeter players to "Bean" and it is very clear that yesterdays enemy "Time" has successfully brainwashed fans into believing that nothing else matters. An argument that one player is better than the next because "if they switch teams he would make the other team better" is something I have never heard of before and is absurd reasoning.
The inspiration behind this "LONG a$s READ" was a thread I saw today. I open it up and not to my surprise it says "at this point Melo will surpass Kobe who is at his peak...", really? I have tried throughout the years and to some success, to not entertain any arguments I deem to be of no debate but I guess dude caught me at the right time. Melo is in his 7th year in the NBA and is playing some awesome basketball, arguably one of the best scorers in the game right now BUT Kobe Bryant is in his 7th year (2002-03, 24 years old) became LEGENDARY. During that year Kobe lead a championship team thru their season like not many before him and noone after him as of yet. Bean averaged 40 points over the month of February, played some of the best defense and showed an undying will to win at any cost. Melo this year has battled some injuries but is posting a gawdy 29.2 ppg 6.4 rpg 3.4 apg, Bryant played all 82 games that year and posted 30 ppg 6.9 rpg 5.9 apg alongside another forgotten legend Shaquille O'neal who missed 15 games makes those numbers even more impressive because his best came in those stretches. The Cambury definition of "Greatness" is to consistently do great things during the times when you are needed most. No disrespect to Melo but Kobe was clearly better than even Kobe's stats in that year and if he was fully unleashed...well we won't even discuss because the lawd had mercy on their souls. MODERATORS CAN NOW CLOSE VJLINDSE'S THREAD "CARMELLO BETTER THAN KOBE AND LEBRON".
There is no way you can compare what someone has done to what someone might do. This is one of many examples showing that "Time" has had a gruesome affects on the way the average fan sees players now. I propose fans to take more of a responsibility when speaking about sports and their players to do the research so that they may not seem so foolish when speaking to those that Love the game and its legends. There is still hope if we can educate ourselves and others about our Legends so that we may keep the conversations tasteful and the sport TIMELESS.

THE OUTRO

*Respectful Bow*
Originally Posted by PBM24
kobe haters are idiots and dont respect the game.

kobe played with shaq and still put up those numbers, if he was a second option on that team why was he putting up better numbers that melo is and he's the number one option.

melo imo will never be better than kobe. he might have a good scoring career but kobe has his number on that one too. melo try averaging 35 ppg, 5 apg and 4.5 rpg and make it to the playoffs and almost knock off the 2nd place suns.

02-15-2010, 01:37 PMaway - #11
st21 392 heat pts392

d 
space
$27,850 | POWERFUL
another kobe bryant d*cksucking fest.

nothing to see here ppl.
 02-15-2010, 01:39 PMonline - #12
Cambury 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$24,211 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by #21
another kobe bryant d*cksucking fest.

nothing to see here ppl.
watch ya mouth...ur missing the point but you people always do
 02-15-2010, 01:45 PMaway - #13
st21 392 heat pts392

d 
space
$27,850 | POWERFUL
watch ya mouth...ur missing the point but you people always do
no im not missing any point. you're upset kobe is getting disrespect by ppl on boxden correct?

i get it. but what you don't get is that ppl on boxden don't hate kobe, they hate his annoying fans like yourself who can't let a single day pass without there being a new kobe thread made on bx.

i gaurantee if there wasn't a kobe d*ckriding thread made every 10 minutes there would hardly be anyone on boxden hating on him.
 02-15-2010, 01:45 PMaway - #14
TriniSoldier 55 heat pts55

d 
space
$40,696 | POWERFUL
So this was a giant paragraph, made to slurp kobe?
Posted via Mobile Device
 02-15-2010, 01:48 PMonline - #15
Cambury 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$24,211 | POWERFUL
Kobe wasnt mentioned more than Shaq but he was the inspiration becuz of someones dumb thread...instead of people saying u kno wat ur right we need to be accountable for wat we say they are comin to hate kobe...but i predicted this
 02-15-2010, 02:01 PMaway - #16
PoetikTrev 7 heat pts

d 
space
$4,472 | 14730750
Originally Posted by sneekas
1 word......

Ball
chemo
 02-15-2010, 02:05 PMaway - #17
DEDOS 100 heat pts100

d 
space
$43,438 | POWERFUL
im not reading that shyt famo
 02-15-2010, 03:05 PMaway - #18
Afnorth123 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$17,057 | POWERFUL
cliff notes or delete this ####
 02-15-2010, 03:17 PMaway - #19
GuttaMane618 4 heat pts

d 
space
$990 | 3164302
where that didnt read gif.
 02-15-2010, 03:25 PMaway - #20
hood135 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,607 | POWERFUL
Great read regardless of what the naysayers have to say. Yes there are a multitude of useless and annoying Kobe threads and yes they sometimes drown out the good descent ones. This is a good one.

Maybe Jordan set the bar too high and made it impossible for there to be an heir to the thrown. Or maybe there is a heir but people just don't want it to be Kobe. They've doubted him since he was 17 years old when we first heard the comparisons and just won't let it register that he just might be that great.

So many want him to fail and so many want him to succeed. I've never seen anything like it. Kobe has his faults and #### ups just like anybody else but I've never seen an athlete so driven and so focused on what he has to do and what he's expected to do...ex: r### case...basically being "Tiger Woods'ed" on a daily basis, flying in late to games, and getting it done night in and night out throughout. That's mental toughness for your a$s right there. Being booed by the world and still standing up dropping 40 against all odds. Having his image, his marriage, reputation, and his livelihood on the line for making a mistake, a mistake that had many people cheering for his downfall, and then having the courage to show your face and still be great. That's why I respect the guy. No other basketball great that I know has faced those kinds of odds and walked away on top (see Black Magic...documentary on the first black players to play in the league and their struggle - mad respect for them and there's no question that they went through waaay worse but that's a different story).

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NFL Redskins QB Colt McCoy to start on Sunday vs Indianapolis
169 comments
NBA Hornets coach says Hot N*gga Lance is not a "star player"
55 comments
NFL Gobble Gobble bi-ch.. Philadelphia Eagles (8-3) @ Dallas..
105 comments
 NFL 'robert Griffin Is Done In Washington'
New reply 2 minutes ago - 54 comments - by Frasier
  Chief Keef "mansion Musik" (artwork +trackli...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Aztronautz
 Image(s) inside Dam Bx , Tay600 Really Mad At Me!
New reply 3 minutes ago - 94 comments - by SlimDunkin
 NBA Rose Basically Admits He Sat Out Just Because He Was T...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 68 comments - by MikeJones212
  How Is Dej Loaf Famous? (might Be The Worst Performanc...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 122 comments - by 1LynguisticMind
 Image(s) inside :minimestopit:
New reply 17 minutes ago - 201 comments - by Ari Gold
 Image(s) inside Chiwire: Lil Reese Calls Out P. Rico For Fake Jordans
New reply 7 minutes ago - 55 comments - by Nasty Neighbor
  Nov 26 - Michael Brown's Mom: Darren Wilson Testimony ...
New reply 31 minutes ago - 91 comments - by RAZAH CUTS

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,864 fans of BX | none new today 4,814 following and 2 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.