This is BX @ Boxden.com

The Return of the Great White Athlete

The Return of the Great White Athlete
topic by MosDefinition - 01-11-2009, 04:46 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

There’s a resurgence of great white athletes
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...ry/975114.html

There was no time to say this Thursday night when Tim Tebow and the Florida Gators were winning another national championship, but a significant thought ran through my mind:

We’re witnessing a resurgence of great white athletes in football and basketball.

OK, this is an underdeveloped thought. It danced across my mind watching Tebow run and throw the Gators past the Oklahoma Sooners. As I contemplated Tebow’s collegiate legacy Thursday night and then listened Friday morning as talk-show hosts wondered aloud whether Tebow could wind up the greatest player in the history of college football, I started placing Tebow’s ascension in broader context.

Although he didn’t win the Heisman Trophy this season, it’s quite obvious Tebow is the best football player in the college game.

In today’s game, the Heisman Trophy is given to the player ESPN decides to hype the most. That player, most likely a quarterback, will preferably play for a highly-rated team that ESPN/ABC televises regularly.

Tebow, the 2007 Heisman winner, was robbed this year. He’s a freakish athlete in the mold of Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Jim Brown and Vince Young. Not surprisingly, Sanders, Brown and Young never won the Heisman Trophy. For some reason we struggle to properly honor and recognize our most physically gifted athletes.

That might have to do with the fact that we generally perceive those athletes to be black.

Well, now here comes Tim Tebow, and it appears everyone is ready to fall in love with Touchdown Timmy, the half-man, half-monster quarterback. He appears to be a novelty, a white athlete with limitless athleticism.

I think he’s a symbol of what has already transpired and what we’ll soon recognize. The boys from the suburbs are spending just as much time as the boyz from the ’hood working on their bodies and skills.

I don’t have any hard evidence. I can’t back it up with 40 times and vertical leaps. I’m basing it off what I see when I travel the country watching the best athletes compete.

This wasn’t discussed much at the time of the selections a year ago, but in the 2008 Pro Bowl the four defensive ends were all white, including Jared Allen. Other than cornerback, a pass-rushing defensive end is probably the most athletic player on a football field.

They’re 6-foot-5, sleek thoroughbreds who excel because of a combination of strength, size and athleticism that is as rare as a perfect spouse.

For the past few years we’ve watched a number of white kids dominate college basketball. Tyler Hansbrough is this year’s leading candidate for player of the year. His raw offensive game makes him a suspect NBA prospect, but you cannot doubt his athleticism. Given his work ethic and tenacity, Hansbrough could be a Dennis Rodman knockoff.

And, of course, we’ve seen many foreign-born white players have tremendous success in the NBA, including Canada’s Steve Nash, the winner of two MVP awards.

No doubt, it’s time we reassess our stereotypes of athletes based on race.

Watching Tebow run, throw awkwardly and display his emotions for all to see did not conjure images of Peyton Manning. Tebow looked more like Michael Vick.

Mentioning Vick raises my last theory on why the real or perceived gap between black and white athletes might be closing.

Too many young black men are rotting in jail.

America’s out-of-control incarceration rate has devastated the black community in many ways. Athletics has not been immune.

When you hear the stat rattled off about more young black men being in jail than in college that also means that there are a lot of talented athletes throwing away college scholarships by running afoul of the law.

Athletics used to be a poor black kid’s ticket to education and out of poverty. You can’t punch that ticket if you’re saddled with felony convictions before you get out of high school. You can’t participate in state-of-the-art training methods if you’re locked up.

My point is, expect to see a few more Tim Tebows.

The football and basketball landscapes are changing. Integration is sweeping the “great athlete” discussion.

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

17 comments for "The Return of the Great White Athlete"

01-11-2009, 04:48 PMaway - #2
Dee Grande 838 heat pts838

d 
space
$17,064 | POWERFUL
@ the kc star sending this house nicca out to write this !!. i'm about 90% sure he didnt come up with this idea
 01-11-2009, 04:55 PMaway - #3
voewyd 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$24,106 | POWERFUL
:wtf:
 01-11-2009, 04:55 PMaway - #4
Garnet & Gold 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$27,239 | POWERFUL
Uncle Ruckus? Dude is such an Uncle Tom it's ridiculous.
 01-11-2009, 04:57 PMaway - #5
MosDefinition 7 heat pts

d 
space
$16,306 | POWERFUL
i wouldnt call him a house negro i just think that he thinks like bill cosby
 01-11-2009, 05:06 PMaway - #6
PizzaFace07 

d 
space
$1,123 | 0
who cares honestly? the skin color of athletes is trivial.. this is just some bull!! to spark more racial tension..

thats directed at the author of the article not the thread starter
 01-11-2009, 05:20 PMaway - #7
MosDefinition 7 heat pts

d 
space
$16,306 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by PizzaFace07
who cares honestly? the skin color of athletes is trivial.. this is just some bull!! to spark more racial tension..

thats directed at the author of the article not the thread starter
thats what i was going for to

RACE WAR!!!!!!!!!!!
 01-11-2009, 05:26 PMaway - #8
A.G 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$36,057 | POWERFUL
Jason Whitlock is a stupid a$s whitewashed negro.
 01-11-2009, 05:28 PMaway - #9
BoSox84 

d 
space
$20,903 | POWERFUL
Does Whitlock ever write about anything in sports other than race?
 01-11-2009, 05:34 PMaway - #10
beantown 74 heat pts74

d 
space
$23,246 | POWERFUL
who cares... ppl looking for reasons to pop ish
 01-11-2009, 05:39 PMaway - #11
A.G 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$36,057 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BoSox84
He should be writing for ya boy, Robert Littal.
 01-11-2009, 05:40 PMaway - #12
Afnorth123 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$16,807 | POWERFUL
@ whitelock...dudes a super coon.
 01-11-2009, 05:50 PMaway - #13
NickJ Da Voice 

d 
space
$3,370 | 8781272
comical he's writing for hicktown Kc if this was New york !! would've been published however America likes 2 bring up the Race issue
 01-11-2009, 05:57 PMaway - #14
BoSox84 

d 
space
$20,903 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by str8_akademiks
He should be writing for ya boy, Robert Littal.
True
 01-11-2009, 06:13 PMonline - #15
iggyemu 

d 
space
$15,409 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BoSox84
The nicca fat and black and writes for a KC newspaper. He either writes about McDonalds or he writes about race in sports cuz ain't !! else sports worthy about KC.
 01-11-2009, 06:30 PMaway - #16
timdog 229 heat pts229

d 
space
$14,222 | POWERFUL
whitlock>
 01-11-2009, 06:45 PMaway - #17
MATIX 

d 
space
$7,768 | 15228520
why does race come up in everything? prolly comes up in bingo too
 01-11-2009, 06:47 PMaway - #18
DrX 56 heat pts56

d 
space
$34,929 | POWERFUL
whitlock is a attention chick, nobody coons this hard. he gotta be doing it for the attention

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Apr 22 - Christie vows not to legalize pot: New Jersey..
66 comments
Image inside  New Call of Duty info
50 comments
BOX Stephen A.: "Floyd Mayweather Will Destroy Pacquiao" ..
88 comments
  So Whats The Last Verse That Actually Made You Rewind ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 83 comments - by d2921
 Image(s) inside My Dad Changed His Contact Info In My Phone And Preten...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 99 comments - by surreyjack
 Image(s) inside Just Blaze React's To Jay-z Alleged Extortion Plot
New reply 2 minutes ago - 93 comments - by SM
 Image(s) inside The Real Nike Re Stock In The Next 10 Days
New reply 3 minutes ago - 94 comments - by donmagic901
  Rappers That Never Took Off.
New reply 2 minutes ago - 199 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 Video inside Big Sean Makes History Doing Something Jay, Ye, Wayne ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 72 comments - by PrimeLamboJr.
 Image(s) inside Here's A Good Reason To Not Shop At Kohl's
New reply 2 minutes ago - 51 comments - by justakidd
 NBA Miami Heat Owner Micky Arison When Asked Percentage Of...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 64 comments - by Motion

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,710 fans of BX | none new today 4,650 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.