This is BX @ Boxden.com

Stan Van Gundy says John Wall not good enough for Wizards to build around

Stan Van Gundy says John Wall not good enough for Wizards to build around
24 topic by T.O.N.Y. - 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

The Wizards are unquestionably the worst team in the league this season. At a record of just 4-25, Washington has four fewer wins than the Bobcats team that just finished up an 18-game losing streak.

Things are not only dismal in Washington, but few see any sign that the franchise has even begun to put the pieces in place to begin the long climb to legitimacy.

Go ahead and count Stan Van Gundy among the non-believers.

Appearing on ESPN 980′s The Sports Reporters last week (via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post), Van Gundy was clear in his a$sessment ó not only does he not see a fit with the current players on the Wizards roster, but he also doesnít believe that John Wall, whom the team selected with the number one overall pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, is good enough to build around as a franchise player.

ďYou know, I donít see it, to be honest,Ē Van Gundy said. ďIíd love to tell you youíre two years away; I really donít [see it]. That roster doesnít make a lot of sense to me. I know theyíll be better when John Wall comes back. Heís certainly got talent, but I donít know that even John Wall is a great player to build your franchise around. I donít know WHO youíre building around, so itís tough to even think about what the construction of your team is. Thatís just a bad basketball team.Ē

ďI think maybe they thought it was gonna be John Wall Ė maybe they still think it is. I think thereís a lot of people in the league Ė Iíd certainly be one that would share this opinion Ė I donít think John Wallís good enough to be the guy that you build around. I think heís got great speed and quickness, but point guard is a decision-making position. Thatís what makes you great as a point guard, is your decision-making. I havenít seen any indication that John Wall is a great decision-maker.Ē

Noe exactly what you want to hear if youíre a Wizards fan.

Wall has yet to play a game this season due to injury, so kicking a guy when heís down doesnít necessarily feel all that great here. But he didnít show marked improvement a season ago, finishing with averages that were either right at or a hair below those of his rookie campaign in nearly every statistical category.

We donít know if Wall will turn into that cornerstone player once he gets healthy, and itíll take even longer to evaluate Jan Vesely and Bradley Beal, the teamís two lottery picks that followed. Time will tell, but the start to this season hasnít been all that encouraging.

With that in mind, the fact that one of the more respected former coaches in the game isnít a fan of the combination of young talent thatís been compiled so far shouldnít be much of a surprise.

Stan Van Gundy says John Wall not good enough for Wizards to build around | ProBasketballTalk

Latest Sports Hot Topics Ľ   share this topic Ľ   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

62 comments for "Stan Van Gundy says John Wall not good enough for Wizards to build around"

01-02-2013, 11:49 AMonline - #2
Blkboipurp 

d 
space
$9,598 | POWERFUL
Wall stans lost
 01-02-2013, 11:50 AMonline - #3
TattooedMPsz 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$15,792 | POWERFUL
kyrie>>>>wall
 01-02-2013, 11:52 AMaway - #4
Two02x3 

d 
space
$2,473 | 9974895
He's telling the truth. Wall is extremely athletic but that's about it. How can you build around talent that hasn't really show you anything?
 01-02-2013, 11:56 AMaway - #5
Rico23 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$33,244 | POWERFUL
 01-02-2013, 11:58 AMaway - #6
That Guy Fly 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$46,193 | POWERFUL
What's with all these Stan quotes lately? Nothing he has said is news, we all knew this ####.
 01-02-2013, 12:00 PMaway - #7
T.O.N.Y. 2426 heat pts2426

d 
space
$48,247 | POWERFUL
Wall is trash ni##a can't even shoot the rock
 01-02-2013, 12:01 PMaway - #8
ManWithoutFear! 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Tell us something we didnt already know Stan
 01-02-2013, 12:01 PMonline - #9
wtr1906 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$14,188 | POWERFUL
Its Stan Van Gundy though.......
 01-02-2013, 12:02 PMaway - #10
Ca$h Out 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$24,439 | POWERFUL
Better trade for cousins to pair with em....

welp to bad he gonna be a celtic.

01-02-2013, 12:04 PMonline - #11
Blkboipurp 

d 
space
$9,598 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Phonk$
Better trade for cousins to pair with em....

welp to bad he gonna be a celtic.

2k doesn't count
 01-02-2013, 12:09 PMaway - #12
AnyGiven 39 heat pts39

d 
space
$6,693 | POWERFUL
You know, I don’t see it, to be honest,” Van Gundy said. “I’d love to tell you you’re two years away; I really don’t [see it]. That roster doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
 01-02-2013, 01:56 PMaway - #13
2DaySports 

d 
space
$158 | 22975
He may be right... Wall is real flashy and fast, but he can't really shoot. People keep taking shots at him, including Shaq (rookie challenge) and that's for a reason. He has an overly confident demeanor. People like humble guys (Curry, Kyrie, Chris Paul, D-Will, D-Rose, Parker etc...) unless your game consistently speaks for itself, and you're just a known #### (Kobe, Rondo, Garnett). Wall is far from all those guys, but you wouldn't think so by looking at him
 01-02-2013, 02:14 PMaway - #14
Vincent Vega 

d 
space
$5,478 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TattooedMPsz
kyrie>>>>wall
lol obviously
 01-02-2013, 02:18 PMaway - #15
Dee Grande 893 heat pts893

d 
space
$18,469 | POWERFUL
lebron should go to the nets and help him out
/2009
 01-02-2013, 02:25 PMaway - #16
X_WunderKind_X 852 heat pts852

d 
space
$25,589 | POWERFUL
Wall cool to me but damn, Stan #### on that ni##a
 01-02-2013, 02:37 PMaway - #17
hood135 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,607 | POWERFUL
Couldn't disagree more. #### Stan Van Gundy. Its not Wall, its the organization.

The kid, just like any other kid was drafted off of potential and he's still got that. Good size, great athletic ability, great speed, great handles. He has to work on his J and his decision making ability. His J will improve with practice and repetition. His decision making ability will improve with maturation. Wall would be light years ahead of where he is now if they had an old crafty vet that could teach him the nuances of the game but they don't have that. Not a lot of young PGs can walk into a situation and change it for the better with unproven coaches and talent around him. That's the organizations job. Wall is good enough. It's his support system that's weak.

And they actually pay Stan Van Gundy for his opinion?!? What a joke.
 01-02-2013, 02:44 PMaway - #18
Dee Grande 893 heat pts893

d 
space
$18,469 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hood135
Good size, great athletic ability, great speed, great handles
so he can run, jump & dribble you really showed stan
 01-02-2013, 02:51 PMaway - #19
BronxBombers 165 heat pts165

d 
space
$32,696 | POWERFUL
InB4WallIsTheFastestPlayerTo1KPts&1kAssist
 01-02-2013, 03:02 PMonline - #20
Blkboipurp 

d 
space
$9,598 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dee Grande
so he can run, jump & dribble you really showed stan

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Wii U - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U >>>>
71 comments
NBA According to Bleacher Report: Steve Nash will miss entir..
50 comments
NBA 2013 Superteam Lakers the worst manufactured Superteam i..
80 comments
 NBA Breaking News: Steve Nash Out For Season
New reply 47 seconds ago - 135 comments - by theFREAK
 NBA Espn Nba Insiders: Harden, Howard Among Most Overrated...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 67 comments - by T.O.N.Y.
 audio inside Lupe Fiasco - Haile Selassie Ft. Nikki Jean (prod. By ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 108 comments - by 10th Wonder
 NBA Espn First Take: Nash Or Iverson: Who's The Better Pla...
New reply 33 minutes ago - 195 comments - by JNumbaNC
 audio inside T.i. - About The Money (remix) (ft. Lil Wayne, Young T...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 57 comments - by malc
 Video inside Iggy Azalea -- I Would Never Make A Song With Snoop Dogg
New reply 38 minutes ago - 52 comments - by Carlton Black
 Image(s) inside Daaaaamn My Nigga French Montana Back
New reply 25 minutes ago - 112 comments - by SHADOW
 Image(s) inside 21 Best One-liner Jokes
New reply 41 minutes ago - 61 comments - by slipnslide85

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,797 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   Ľ    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.