This is BX @ Boxden.com

Should the NFL ban face masks?

Should the NFL ban face masks?
topic by ReggieA - 11-11-2010, 03:06 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Bob Ford saw something on television recently that he decided to pass along to his vast readership. He saw Bryant Gumbel of HBO's "Real Sports" advocating for the NFL to remove face masks from helmets to promote safer play. This was actually an idea Washington Redskins founder George Preston Marshall had in the 1950s, but it didn't really gain any traction.

"The concept of getting rid of the masks is sound, however, because nobody likes pain," writes Ford. "It would be interesting to see a study comparing the incidence of concussions between helmeted football players and helmetless rugby players. Does the obvious vulnerability keep rugby players from incurring as many concussions, or is it just too hard to tell the difference when they have them?"

I don't think this will happen in a million years, but it's an interesting concept. Unfortunately, I'm afraid there would still be a ton of injuries. Players have been taught from the time they were on Pop Warner teams to plant that face mask in the chest of an opposing player. You have to "see what you hit" is what we've heard throughout the years.

Players would have to learn a completely new technique, and that would take some time. And something tells me the players union might not be overly supportive of this concept.

If the face masks were removed, teams would suddenly look like motorcycle gangs. But hey, I'm willing to give it a try. Would you guys be bothered by the removal of face masks if you knew it would have a major impact on reducing head injuries?

Source: Should the NFL ban face masks? - NFC East Blog - ESPN

Something I came across browsing Twitter earlier.

Latest Sports Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

9 comments for "Should the NFL ban face masks?"

11-11-2010, 03:08 PMaway - #2
Tempus # 1 3 heat pts

d 
space
$17,433 | POWERFUL
so instead of concussions players will be breaking their necks and getting paralyzed from ducking their heads
 11-11-2010, 03:10 PMonline - #3
StateProperty88 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$32,914 | POWERFUL
horrible idea considering the type of athlete we see in today's game...horrible
 11-11-2010, 03:11 PMaway - #4
bibbyboi 14 heat pts14

d 
space
$7,758 | POWERFUL
The only problem is that they would have to do away with all padding if they decided to get rid of helmets..and players in the NFL hit much harder than rugby players...No offense to rugby...And rugby hits are definitely hard, but there is no way you can tell me guys over there can hit as hard as Ray Lewis and other LB's in the NFL...
 11-11-2010, 03:12 PMonline - #5
JetsLost 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$6,733 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Tempus # 1
so instead of concussions players will be breaking their necks and getting paralyzed from ducking their heads
Originally Posted by StateProperty88
horrible idea considering the type of athlete we see in today's game...horrible
I disagree w/ it too. But in theory its supposed to make the players realize that they're not invincible so hopefully they wouldn't use their bodies as ####ing torpedos
 11-11-2010, 03:18 PMaway - #6
lboog1423 201 heat pts201

d 
space
$18,791 | POWERFUL
No facemask will actually lead to more injuries than the number of concussions
 11-11-2010, 03:27 PMaway - #7
@RG3 45 heat pts45

d 
space
$16,232 | POWERFUL
soooooo what we gunna talk about next... how many eyes get guaged out?

imagine what happens when the face mask is removed... think about what they accidently grab...
 11-11-2010, 03:31 PMaway - #8
Got Cheeve? 111 heat pts111

d 
space
$41,000 | POWERFUL
ya'll just overreacting IMO. another writer has been saying this for years too.

Another theory he had was to bring back the bump and run. It would keep the spaces tighter thus leading to less high speed collisions. Basically the Peyton Manning rule along with the rules from the 1970s allowing offensive linemen to basically hold is what has caused this mess we see.

Another theory is to eliminate intentional grounding to get rid of the silly QB penalties. The QB could simply surrender and be embarrassed for being a #### and the defense would win because they busted their play.
 11-11-2010, 03:34 PMaway - #9
LordBlanco|M 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$23,390 | POWERFUL
Are you ####ing serious?

While we're at it lets go back to these helmets.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 30 - Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
74 comments
Image inside  Oct 28 - Life under Obama sucks. And these numbers pr..
74 comments
IGN Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
94 comments
  How You Can Get A New Ps4 For $275
New reply 36 seconds ago - 202 comments - by SpazzOut
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 199 comments - by NoLastName
 Video inside Throwback: Iggy Azalea Refuses To Freestyle On Sway In...
New reply 1 minute ago - 94 comments - by The Bully
 Image(s) inside Lil Durk's Baby Mama Is A Freak
New reply 18 minutes ago - 95 comments - by Turk3
 Video inside This Guy Asked A Homeless Man For A Slice Of Pizza. An...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 89 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 Video inside Why This Old Nigga Was Stoppin Sh-t Like He Was Goku?
New reply 18 minutes ago - 53 comments - by HeatMafia410
 NBA Reddit User Digs Up Old Tweets From Players
New reply 5 minutes ago - 72 comments - by Wardell Curry II
  Best Rap Album Of 2014?
New reply 18 minutes ago - 104 comments - by QB Eagles

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.