This is BX @ Boxden.com

Ron Artest: I used to drink Hennessy at half time (on the Bulls)

Ron Artest: I used to drink Hennessy at half time (on the Bulls)
topic by Dee Grande - 12-02-2009, 09:29 AM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

Ron Artest, the 30-year-old, first-year starter with the Los Angeles Lakers, may yet prove to be a crucial piece of an improved championship puzzle.

But those who are counting on one of the league's most explosive personalities to avoid controversy with his fifth NBA team may want to temper their expectations.

In a lengthy interview for the December 7 issue of Sporting News magazine, Artest—best known as the central figure in the infamous Malice at the Palace in 2004—bared all, including a startling admission that he drank alcohol during games as a member of the Chicago Bulls, for whom he played from 1999-2002.

"I used to drink Hennessy … at halftime," Artest says in the interview, which hits newsstands this week. "I (kept it) in my locker. I'd just walk to the liquor store (near the stadium) and get it."

Artest speaks openly in the interview on many other sensitive topics.

* On his life as a St. John's star and a first-round draft pick, Artest says: "When I was a 19-year-old father, whew. I was a single pimp! I was wild. A lot of marijuana and alcohol—even before (that age). … I (still) party and I have fun, but not like I used to. I used to drink every night and party every night."

* On why things fell apart for him in Chicago and Indiana: "It was all my fault. The first team, in Chicago, I was a head case. I worked really hard but still had this ghetto thing in me that I could not get out. … I could've stayed at Indiana my whole career, but I said I wanted to be traded. I was getting more st@ble, but I was still unst@ble and I was a bad teammate. They had to get rid of me."

* On the 2004 brawl in Detroit for which Artest was suspended 73 games and lost $7 million in salary: "It wasn't my fault. … I don't see anything I could have done different. The only thing I could have done was have God pause time so I could have said, 'Oh, look, you're about to run in some stands, so stop.'"

* On the Rockets' loss to the Lakers in the 2009 Western Conference semifinals: "(Referee) Joey Crawford basically said, 'Who cares about the Houston Rockets? Kobe Bryant is on the floor.'"

* On comparisons with Trevor Ariza, the player he replaced at small forward in the Lakers' starting lineup: "I really don't understand why people compare me to him, or try. With what I've done in this league already, I mean, seriously? … I think it's the hype behind (a championship)."

* On accepting a role in Bryant's supporting cast: "It's weird because people don't think about the whole basketball game. There's offense: Kobe averages 30 and is a great offensive player. Then you have defense. So on defense, now I have my supporting cast. … I'm one of the best defenders to ever play basketball, so I'm still the first option on defense."

* On his feelings toward Ben Wallace, the Pistons center whose altercation with Artest touched off the melee in Detroit: "I see Ben, I'm on my guard now. I'm always in the mood to f!ght him. … I'll get suspended 10 games, 15 games (because) I'll just f!ght him right there. It won't go into the stands."

Artest also reveals his plans to become a professional boxer: "I started training two years ago," he says. "In four years, I'm going to try to have my first f!ght."

But the comments that may follow him most closely in the coming weeks are about drinking alcohol during games early in his career, which Artest says happened in part because the Bulls lost so often.

Previously, Artest hid any use of alcohol and marijuana well, according to his former coach at St. John's, Fran Fraschilla.

"It's a surprise because every day at practice, he came out in a mood to play. He came out in a basketball rage," said Fraschilla, now an analyst for ESPN. "He was fully committed; he wanted to let our upperclassmen know that he was the alpha male.

"It never came up that he had any sort of a problem with alcohol. This is the first I've heard of it."

SN Conversation with Ron Artest: 'I used to drink Hennessy at halftime' - Steve Greenberg - NBA - Sporting News
:lachen001:

and he wanted no part of ben wallace. he needs to stop > Ron Artest: I used to drink Hennessy at half time (on the Bulls) - Photo posted in BX SportsCenter | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

37 comments for "Ron Artest: I used to drink Hennessy at half time (on the Bulls)"

12-02-2009, 09:50 AMaway - #2
luda06 

d 
space
$18,630 | POWERFUL
Ben Wallace got the muscle, but Artest would drop him.
 12-02-2009, 10:23 AMaway - #3
DaForce13 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$4,086 | POWERFUL
thats right Artest... rep St. John's... LETS GO!
 12-02-2009, 10:29 AMaway - #4
unkoricky 75 heat pts75

d 
space
$7,657 | POWERFUL
i'd try to forget about my miseries too playing for the bulls
 12-02-2009, 10:33 AMaway - #5
AKS MUZIK 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$5,722 | POWERFUL
I've always liked Artest even though he acts like a child sometimes. At least he has a chance to win a title this year. Good for him....
 12-02-2009, 10:42 AMaway - #6
SantinoMurder 

d 
space
$2,517 | 5103862
ron is the man and yes he would drop ben wallace a$s easily. no one in the league wants any beef with artest and they know it too. its one thing about the ni##a being strong but the ni##a is really crazy.
 12-02-2009, 11:05 AMonline - #7
JamcnPrettyboy 75 heat pts75

d 
space
$18,041 | POWERFUL
well at least he acknowledges that he's ghetto.

drinkin during games

and artest ain't taking no responsibility for the palace brawl. not surprised he still wants to f!ght wallace
 12-02-2009, 11:05 AMaway - #8
Stillballin187 

d 
space
$282 | 329835
I was just reading this ####

i love artest. dude gonna be beast this year.
 12-02-2009, 11:11 AMaway - #9
Storchaveli 79 heat pts79

d 
space
$25,552 | POWERFUL
 12-02-2009, 11:14 AMaway - #10
Illuminated 

d 
space
$2,063 | 0
Lol @ people thinking that Ron Artest would give Ben Wallace the business. If that were true, he would've ran up on Ben Wallace that night in Detroit instead of running up on a small guy that didn't even throw the cup.

Artest might be crazy, but he's not stupid.
 12-02-2009, 11:16 AMaway - #11
KnicksLost 9 heat pts

d 
space
$37,841 | POWERFUL
I was gonna post this...this has to be the funniest interview of all time
 12-02-2009, 11:17 AMaway - #12
infamxus 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$5,348 | POWERFUL
legalize it!
 12-02-2009, 11:17 AMaway - #13
ChiCity Fingaz 114 heat pts114

d 
space
$43,155 | POWERFUL
Sounds like Artest was like every other Bulls player and fan during that time then.

*Remembers Elton Brand saying he used to daydream during huddles when Tim Floyd drew up "plays"*
 12-02-2009, 11:20 AMaway - #14
Antony Cruz 

d 
space
$73 | 52177
In the words of Tony Montana, "u need people like me, so u can say that's the bad guy".....well, we need people like artest, they bring some excitement to the otherwise, sometimes boring game.....same goes for boxing, I'll pay to watch him f!ght.
 12-02-2009, 11:23 AMaway - #15
Mike Nitty 6 heat pts

d 
space
$18,347 | POWERFUL
ni##a wants no parts of Ben even right now...gotta keep it Hood tho so I understand.

Boxing aint all about muscles gotta have intelligence to go with it but Big Ben is decidedly stronger than that ni##a even at his age right now....I'd wanna c this tho like Paq and PBF.

As far as him drinking Hennessy at Halfrime--some things are better left unsaid...smh at this ni##a actually doing it, getting away with it till now and then snitching on hisself while he in a Laker UNI.
 12-02-2009, 11:25 AMaway - #16
Angry_Black_757 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,664 | 8294134
QB's finest! Tru Warier!
 12-02-2009, 12:36 PMaway - #17
Pimpwin 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,478 | 5830005
What a beast! haha Reminds me of when I used to work at Olive Garden.. bust out a flask and woo.. The customers wouldn't even know what hit em, rack up those tips.
 12-02-2009, 12:49 PMaway - #18
wheezyfbaby 9 heat pts

d 
space
$4,261 | POWERFUL
I would drink too if d*ckey Simpkins was my team captain.
 12-02-2009, 02:06 PMaway - #19
beantown 74 heat pts74

d 
space
$23,333 | POWERFUL
who cares? dude ran into the stands and hit the wrong fan, what else do you need to knwo about him to know he's a dangerous breed of psycho/moron
 12-02-2009, 02:36 PMaway - #20
Jerry Loller 

d 
space
$1,145 | 0
Wanna-be vernon maxwell

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Aug 22 - Sixth-Grade Teacher Charged With Rape Of 13-..
60 comments
NFL 2ND Annual BXSC NFL Pick Em Challenge Week 1 Picks!!!!!
160 comments
NBA Minnesota Timberwolves to send Luc Mbah a Moute, Alexey ..
69 comments
 NFL Nfl Rookie Mike Evans -- Insane Nightclub Brawl ... Th...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 154 comments - by Dray
 Video inside The Breakfast Club Ethers Floyd Mayweather As He Strug...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 419 comments - by MajorD
 Image(s) inside Biggie’s Son Denies He’s Gay, Hints That He "gets...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 101 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Image(s) inside Aug 22 - Pimpstagram: Sex Trafficker Left Photo Trail
New reply 10 minutes ago - 52 comments - by messy marv stan
  Aug 20 - Boy, 9 In Chicago Shot To Death
New reply 8 minutes ago - 137 comments - by GLOCKN SKIMASK
  Every Simpsons Ever Marathon On Fxx
New reply 14 minutes ago - 58 comments - by TheChief
 BOX New Floyd Mayweather Gifs!
New reply 9 minutes ago - 100 comments - by PotheadFocker
 Image(s) inside Best Looking Video Game Console Ever?
New reply 25 minutes ago - 90 comments - by Kierris24

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.