This is BX @ Boxden.com

Popovich a leading candidate as next Team USA coach

26 topic by T2THEONE - 05-17-2012, 10:43 AM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

The head of USA Basketball, Jerry Colangelo, said Popovich is a leading candidate for the head coaching spot.

"You have to be able to adapt. Coach K came in and we changed the infrastructure, the culture, the program. After London, we'll sit down and look at everything. Pop would certainly be a leading candidate if it's going to be a pro coach."

Of course there was some reported ill-will between Pop and Colangelo when Coach K was chosen over Pop but according to Colangelo, it was simply a case of misunderstanding.

"If you recall, Mike and Pop were my two choices in 2005," Colangelo said in a phone interview. "When I talked to Coach K, he almost jumped through the phone. I didn't sense that same enthusiasm in my conversation with 'Pop.' Afterward, he sent me a letter and said I misinterpreted what he said. He felt I had misjudged him, and maybe I did. But that was a long time ago. How can anyone argue with his record, his performance? With him as a great coach?"

It is hard to argue against Pop taking over the reigns as head coach of Team USA but you have to wonder if Pop is willing to still coach in 2016. That's four years from now and who knows if he will have stepped aside as Spurs head coach or simply just be done with the game of basketball as he sips wine in retirement.

However, a chance to coach on the international level could be appealing to Pop. He pretty much has been coaching international teams in San Antonio and has experience with Team USA as an a$sistant coach in 2004 in Athens.

If Pop takes the job, there is no doubt Team USA will be gaining one of the greatest coaches in NBA history.

What do you have to say Spurs fans? Can you see Pop guiding Team USA for the 2016 Olympic games?

Latest Sports Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

1 comments for "Popovich a leading candidate as next Team USA coach"

05-17-2012, 11:08 AMonline - #2
somerandomguy 39 heat pts39

d 
space
$3,533 | POWERFUL

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Rihanna Celebrates 4/20
74 comments
BOX Stephen A.: "Floyd Mayweather Will Destroy Pacquiao" ..
79 comments
NFL Raiders trade Terrelle Pryor to Seahawks
62 comments
  Rappers That Never Took Off.
New reply 15 minutes ago - 192 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 Video inside Iggy Azalea Talks Getting F#ngered By Fans, Bedroom Li...
New reply 48 minutes ago - 76 comments - by SM
 NBA 7'2" Indiana Pacers Center In Bizarre Decline Lis...
New reply 33 minutes ago - 61 comments - by Motion
 Image(s) inside My Dad Changed His Contact Info In My Phone And Preten...
New reply 51 minutes ago - 80 comments - by surreyjack
 Video inside Rza At The Breakfast Club: Wu-tang Beef, Pirating Musi...
New reply 37 minutes ago - 53 comments - by BreakfastClub
 NBA Noah To Be Named Defensive Player Of The Year
New reply 57 minutes ago - 87 comments - by Kadillac87
 Image(s) inside The Real Nike Re Stock In The Next 10 Days
New reply 42 minutes ago - 77 comments - by donmagic901
 NBA Laker Fans Take Pictures With Lakers Cheerleaders (pics)
New reply 58 minutes ago - 153 comments - by Chrisdunk

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,710 fans of BX | none new today 4,652 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.