Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

McNabb says he wants to retire as an Eagle

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
335 viewing
 Video inside GS9 Member comes at 50 Cent's neck"Keep Bobby Shmurda & Rowdy Rebel's n..
51 comments
most viewed right now
196 viewing
Image inside Tyga caught cheating on Kylie with a Transjenner?
432 comments

top in section
100 viewing
 NBA Stephen Curry Lovingly Trolls David Lee After His Trade from Golden State
top in sports
top in section
39 viewing
 Your most tragic save game mishaps
top in games

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 McNabb says he wants to retire as an Eagle
Unread 6 years agoclass of '09 - away - #1
831 pageviews
29 comments

Donovan McNabb  space
I Got Knocked Da Fu*k Out!
space
$280 | 0
TAMPA - The fictional pool party Donovan McNabb envisioned yesterday sounded a whole lot more colorful than what the real contract talks between Eagles' management and its quarterback are likely to resemble.

McNabb suggested that he, Andy Reid and team president Joe Banner were going swimming in Tampa, with Reid "wearing a Speedo," Banner carrying "a little float," and Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie barbecuing, as they hashed out contract details. This would clear a major offseason hurdle for the team, and provide some memorable video footage, as well.

Unfortunately, we're pretty sure McNabb was joking.

McNabb, in high spirits as he toured the Super Bowl XLIII media center "radio row" with his parents on behalf of Novartis pharmaceutical company and its medications, reiterated to a group of Philadelphia-area reporters that his contract will indeed be on the agenda in his offseason sitdown with management. But he emphatically declared, "I want to retire as an Eagle."

That part came when McNabb was asked about NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders' repeated a.ssertions that the quarterback and his family want out of Philadelphia.

"I talk to Deion. Deion is a great guy, but Deion's not speaking for me. I want to retire as an Eagle," McNabb said. "I remember my rookie year, or I believe my second year, with Mayor Street, I said I wanted to bring a Super Bowl back to Philadelphia, go down Broad Street with the parade. The Phillies did it first, and I'm happy for them that they did, but myself and [free safety] Brian Dawkins, it's something we've talked about for years, being able to do that. We look forward to hopefully bringing it back next year, down Broad Street, I believe [the game's] in Miami, be able to hold that trophy up and say, 'We did it.' "

McNabb was asked about Banner's recent media tour and his contention that neither McNabb nor agent Fletcher Smith has said anything to the Eagles about McNabb's contract being an issue. So will his contract will be part of the discussion?

"Everyone knows that," McNabb said, laughing off the idea that Banner will somehow be surprised. "You guys know that, and you talk about it. We'll just leave it behind closed doors. Communication'll go well. We'll hopefully get things solved. We'll be here [in the Super Bowl] next year, hopefully, and I won't have to go through media row. I'll be sitting at the little tent with the chair [on an interview podium] trying to answer questions and get ready for the game on Sunday."

The contract issue is less about money and more about security. McNabb is scheduled to make about $9.2 million next season, but thanks to voidable years, his contract is up the year after that, and the salary-cap penalty for trading or releasing McNabb between now and then is not substantial. If McNabb were to get a new contract, presumably it would entail a signing bonus that would make it very difficult for the Birds to take the cap hit if they wanted to part with him over the next few years. Such an obligation might color any future decisions like the one Reid made back on Nov. 23, benching McNabb for the second half of the 36-7 loss in Baltimore. At the time, it seemed the McNabb era was ending.

"It deals with a lot of different things," McNabb said, when asked what the contract concern really entails. "We'll kind of leave it at that. Things get taken care of, then I won't have to answer, 'Will I be back next year?' "

McNabb agreed yesterday that when he signed for a reported 12 years and $112 million in 2002, the idea always was that the contract would be reworked before it expired. In 2002, a $10.3 million cap charge, such as McNabb will incur in 2009, seemed unthinkable. Then, no one saw the cap expanding as rapidly as it has. The benefit from dramatically lowering their 2009 cap obligation might not be as big an incentive to the Eagles as it seemed in 2002.

"I think a lot of times, fans just look at it like, 'He's getting paid a lot of money, why does he want to talk about this?' [But] when you do contracts, that's kind of the way it goes," McNabb said. "We'll communicate on it, get things solved, and I won't have to answer, 'Will I be back next year?' . . . I've had to answer [questions about his future] 16, 20 weeks this year, and last year as well. It's tiresome. But I'd rather people ask me every year than, say, me be somewhere else, or whatever, and people saying, 'Well how was it in Philly?' I want to be in Philly.

"I saw Irving Fryar - what'd he get, a motorcyle when he retired? I don't ride motorcycles, but I can get a car; I can drive a car."

McNabb also was asked to address another NFL Network commentator's unsubstantiated a.ssertion. That paragon of fitness, Warren Sapp, a.sserted this week that McNabb is not in shape, and claimed that a patch McNabb wore near his elbow toward the end of the NFC Championship Game indicated an intravenous site, meaning McNabb got dehydrated.

"I didn't get an IV," McNabb said, showing reporters a turf burn near his elbow that was bandaged during the game. "I had a little boo-boo . . . I'm in pretty good shape. I still get my cardio every day. I don't know about that one."

Often, when McNabb speaks at the Super Bowl, he says something about needing more weapons, which becomes the headline for his remarks. He was reluctant to be drawn into that discussion yesterday. He certainly was not on any "give me this" crusade.

"Are we going to talk about that now?" McNabb asked, when a questioner brought it up. "Yeah, we do need more weapons, on both sides, all phases of the game."

But he agreed with Dawkins, that better health for some key offensive figures, such as guard Shawn Andrews, running back Brian Westbrook and wideout Kevin Curtis, might make a big difference.

Asked when his much-discussed offseason sitdown might take place, McNabb said, "That's between us."

And the guy who hands out towels at the pool. *

image Pay the man, shirley.

29 comments for "McNabb says he wants to retire as an Eagle"

- To post a comment, join the squad -

Unread 6 years agoclass of '07 - away - #2
dionedre3000  space
Varth Dader.......NASA8
space
$7,951 | POWERFUL
Better him then me cuz my a.ss would've have been gone along time ago.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #3
Doe Stacks  space
STACKHOUSE
space
$4,381 | POWERFUL
dionedre3000 said:
Better him then me cuz my a.ss would've have been gone along time ago.
And go where? and play for who? The Chicago Bears? Good 1.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '08 - away - #4
Iverson Romo  space
space
$822 | 0
there a good fit, a player who has accomplished nothing will retire with a franchise that has accomplished nothing :applause:
Unread 6 years agoclass of '09 - away - #5
Donovan McNabb  space
space
$280 | 0
^ says the guy reppin the two biggest losers in sports history...
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #6
Doe Stacks  space
STACKHOUSE
space
$4,381 | POWERFUL
Iverson Romo said:
there a good fit, a player who has accomplished nothing will retire with a franchise that has accomplished nothing :applause:
What has Iverson accomplished compared to Mcnabb? Lol I swear people dont think b4 they post...Too late to hit the edit button now homie.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '08 - away - #7
Iverson Romo  space
space
$822 | 0
Doe Stacks said:
What has Iverson accomplished compared to Mcnabb? Lol I swear people dont think b4 they post...Too late to hit the edit button now homie.

you were better off being a jets fan :greetings10:
Unread 6 years agoclass of '06 - away - #8
smokeweed101. 4 heat pts space
Boston Sports >
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Donovan McNabb said:
TAMPA - The fictional pool party Donovan McNabb envisioned yesterday sounded a whole lot more colorful than what the real contract talks between Eagles' management and its quarterback are likely to resemble.

McNabb suggested that he, Andy Reid and team president Joe Banner were going swimming in Tampa, with Reid "wearing a Speedo," Banner carrying "a little float," and Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie barbecuing, as they hashed out contract details. This would clear a major offseason hurdle for the team, and provide some memorable video footage, as well.

Unfortunately, we're pretty sure McNabb was joking.

McNabb, in high spirits as he toured the Super Bowl XLIII media center "radio row" with his parents on behalf of Novartis pharmaceutical company and its medications, reiterated to a group of Philadelphia-area reporters that his contract will indeed be on the agenda in his offseason sitdown with management. But he emphatically declared, "I want to retire as an Eagle."

That part came when McNabb was asked about NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders' repeated a.ssertions that the quarterback and his family want out of Philadelphia.

"I talk to Deion. Deion is a great guy, but Deion's not speaking for me. I want to retire as an Eagle," McNabb said. "I remember my rookie year, or I believe my second year, with Mayor Street, I said I wanted to bring a Super Bowl back to Philadelphia, go down Broad Street with the parade. The Phillies did it first, and I'm happy for them that they did, but myself and [free safety] Brian Dawkins, it's something we've talked about for years, being able to do that. We look forward to hopefully bringing it back next year, down Broad Street, I believe [the game's] in Miami, be able to hold that trophy up and say, 'We did it.' "

McNabb was asked about Banner's recent media tour and his contention that neither McNabb nor agent Fletcher Smith has said anything to the Eagles about McNabb's contract being an issue. So will his contract will be part of the discussion?

"Everyone knows that," McNabb said, laughing off the idea that Banner will somehow be surprised. "You guys know that, and you talk about it. We'll just leave it behind closed doors. Communication'll go well. We'll hopefully get things solved. We'll be here [in the Super Bowl] next year, hopefully, and I won't have to go through media row. I'll be sitting at the little tent with the chair [on an interview podium] trying to answer questions and get ready for the game on Sunday."

The contract issue is less about money and more about security. McNabb is scheduled to make about $9.2 million next season, but thanks to voidable years, his contract is up the year after that, and the salary-cap penalty for trading or releasing McNabb between now and then is not substantial. If McNabb were to get a new contract, presumably it would entail a signing bonus that would make it very difficult for the Birds to take the cap hit if they wanted to part with him over the next few years. Such an obligation might color any future decisions like the one Reid made back on Nov. 23, benching McNabb for the second half of the 36-7 loss in Baltimore. At the time, it seemed the McNabb era was ending.

"It deals with a lot of different things," McNabb said, when asked what the contract concern really entails. "We'll kind of leave it at that. Things get taken care of, then I won't have to answer, 'Will I be back next year?' "

McNabb agreed yesterday that when he signed for a reported 12 years and $112 million in 2002, the idea always was that the contract would be reworked before it expired. In 2002, a $10.3 million cap charge, such as McNabb will incur in 2009, seemed unthinkable. Then, no one saw the cap expanding as rapidly as it has. The benefit from dramatically lowering their 2009 cap obligation might not be as big an incentive to the Eagles as it seemed in 2002.

"I think a lot of times, fans just look at it like, 'He's getting paid a lot of money, why does he want to talk about this?' [But] when you do contracts, that's kind of the way it goes," McNabb said. "We'll communicate on it, get things solved, and I won't have to answer, 'Will I be back next year?' . . . I've had to answer [questions about his future] 16, 20 weeks this year, and last year as well. It's tiresome. But I'd rather people ask me every year than, say, me be somewhere else, or whatever, and people saying, 'Well how was it in Philly?' I want to be in Philly.

"I saw Irving Fryar - what'd he get, a motorcyle when he retired? I don't ride motorcycles, but I can get a car; I can drive a car."

McNabb also was asked to address another NFL Network commentator's unsubstantiated a.ssertion. That paragon of fitness, Warren Sapp, a.sserted this week that McNabb is not in shape, and claimed that a patch McNabb wore near his elbow toward the end of the NFC Championship Game indicated an intravenous site, meaning McNabb got dehydrated.

"I didn't get an IV," McNabb said, showing reporters a turf burn near his elbow that was bandaged during the game. "I had a little boo-boo . . . I'm in pretty good shape. I still get my cardio every day. I don't know about that one."

Often, when McNabb speaks at the Super Bowl, he says something about needing more weapons, which becomes the headline for his remarks. He was reluctant to be drawn into that discussion yesterday. He certainly was not on any "give me this" crusade.

"Are we going to talk about that now?" McNabb asked, when a questioner brought it up. "Yeah, we do need more weapons, on both sides, all phases of the game."

But he agreed with Dawkins, that better health for some key offensive figures, such as guard Shawn Andrews, running back Brian Westbrook and wideout Kevin Curtis, might make a big difference.

Asked when his much-discussed offseason sitdown might take place, McNabb said, "That's between us."

And the guy who hands out towels at the pool. *

Pay the man, shirley.
Your name sucks and McNabb is a loser.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #9
Doe Stacks  space
STACKHOUSE
space
$4,381 | POWERFUL
Iverson Romo said:
Didnt I say it was too late for u? Please dont let me get started on Romo. Just take the L and keep it moving.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '09 - away - #10
Donovan McNabb  space
space
$280 | 0
smokeweed101. said:
Theres my little bi*ch smokeweed....sees an eagles thread and comes running ...11-5 and no playoffs, bummer!
Unread 6 years agoclass of '08 - away - #11
Iverson Romo  space
space
$822 | 0
Doe Stacks said:
Didnt I say it was too late for u? Please dont let me get started on Romo. Just take the L and keep it moving.

your an eagles fan, what are you going to bring up? all the superbowls you guys have won?

or maybe ull talk about all them Doe Stacks you got :rolleyes:

geek
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #12
Doe Stacks  space
STACKHOUSE
space
$4,381 | POWERFUL
Iverson Romo said:
your an eagles fan, what are you going to bring up? all the superbowls you guys have won?

or maybe ull talk about all them Doe Stacks you got :rolleyes:

geek
Did u just say geek? Ah man..Im done wit u. No need to respond cuz I wont.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '08 - away - #13
Iverson Romo  space
space
$822 | 0
Doe Stacks said:
Did u just say geek? Ah man..Im done wit u. No need to respond cuz I wont.

because you lost :greetings10:
Unread 6 years agoclass of '07 - on now - #14
Syphernix 9 heat pts space
Future Shutdown Corner
space
$16,247 | POWERFUL
Iverson Romo said:
smokeweed101. said:

:dancingcool:
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #15
Doe Stacks  space
STACKHOUSE
space
$4,381 | POWERFUL
Syphernix said:

:dancingcool:
I know u aint talking. U still salty about the last game?
Unread 6 years agoclass of '06 - away - #16
Boston Sports >
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Donovan McNabb said:
Theres my little bi*ch smokeweed....sees an eagles thread and comes running ...11-5 and no playoffs, bummer!
Super Bowl 39, Patriots over Eagles

Brady 3, McNabb 0.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '06 - away - #17
Boston Sports >
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Iverson Romo said:

fu*k the Eagles
Unread 6 years agoclass of '07 - on now - #18
Syphernix 9 heat pts space
Future Shutdown Corner
space
$16,247 | POWERFUL
Doe Stacks said:
I know u aint talking. U still salty about the last game?
salty over what, yall didnt accomplish nothing

:laughing19:@ you thinkin you get a prize for defeating the giants

Last edited by Syphernix; 01-31-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Unread 6 years agoclass of '08 - on now - #19
primetime 60 heat pts60 space
space
$21,150 | POWERFUL
I would love that too
Unread 6 years agoclass of '09 - away - #20
Donovan McNabb  space
space
$280 | 0
Syphernix said:
salty over what, yall didnt accomplish nothing

:laughing19:@ you thinkin you get a prize for defeating the giants
Sure do get a prize....its called braggin rights...hoe :dancingcool:

Home > all sections > BX SportsCenter

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
36 viewing
Jul 6 - US jets intercepted Russian bombers
44 comments
@news
most viewed right now
33 viewing
Image inside When yo Momma
54 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
31 viewing
Video inside Tyrone vs Big Brody
93 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
27 viewing
Image inside Jul 6 - PIRATE BAY WAS WORTH DOING PRISON TIME FOR, CO-FOUNDER SAYS
114 comments
@news
most viewed right now
26 viewing
Article inside "F*ck That Alligator": Man Killed Seconds After Mocking Gator Warning
80 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
12 viewing
Image inside Waka Flocka Flame Says He Hated On Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp A Butterf..
114 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
10 viewing
Image inside Niggas ever notice how GAY Apollo was lookin in Rocky 3?
91 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
8 viewing
NCAAF Surveillance video shows FSU QB De'Andre Johnson punching woman in face
366 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
8 viewing
Video inside Movies that weren't Critically Acclaimed, but aged well..
127 comments
@movies

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time