This is BX @ Boxden.com

McNabb says he wants to retire as an Eagle

McNabb says he wants to retire as an Eagle
topic by Donovan McNabb - 01-31-2009, 05:10 AM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

TAMPA - The fictional pool party Donovan McNabb envisioned yesterday sounded a whole lot more colorful than what the real contract talks between Eagles' management and its quarterback are likely to resemble.

McNabb suggested that he, Andy Reid and team president Joe Banner were going swimming in Tampa, with Reid "wearing a Speedo," Banner carrying "a little float," and Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie barbecuing, as they hashed out contract details. This would clear a major offseason hurdle for the team, and provide some memorable video footage, as well.

Unfortunately, we're pretty sure McNabb was joking.

McNabb, in high spirits as he toured the Super Bowl XLIII media center "radio row" with his parents on behalf of Novartis pharmaceutical company and its medications, reiterated to a group of Philadelphia-area reporters that his contract will indeed be on the agenda in his offseason sitdown with management. But he emphatically declared, "I want to retire as an Eagle."

That part came when McNabb was asked about NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders' repeated a$sertions that the quarterback and his family want out of Philadelphia.

"I talk to Deion. Deion is a great guy, but Deion's not speaking for me. I want to retire as an Eagle," McNabb said. "I remember my rookie year, or I believe my second year, with Mayor Street, I said I wanted to bring a Super Bowl back to Philadelphia, go down Broad Street with the parade. The Phillies did it first, and I'm happy for them that they did, but myself and [free safety] Brian Dawkins, it's something we've talked about for years, being able to do that. We look forward to hopefully bringing it back next year, down Broad Street, I believe [the game's] in Miami, be able to hold that trophy up and say, 'We did it.' "

McNabb was asked about Banner's recent media tour and his contention that neither McNabb nor agent Fletcher Smith has said anything to the Eagles about McNabb's contract being an issue. So will his contract will be part of the discussion?

"Everyone knows that," McNabb said, laughing off the idea that Banner will somehow be surprised. "You guys know that, and you talk about it. We'll just leave it behind closed doors. Communication'll go well. We'll hopefully get things solved. We'll be here [in the Super Bowl] next year, hopefully, and I won't have to go through media row. I'll be sitting at the little tent with the chair [on an interview podium] trying to answer questions and get ready for the game on Sunday."

The contract issue is less about money and more about security. McNabb is scheduled to make about $9.2 million next season, but thanks to voidable years, his contract is up the year after that, and the salary-cap penalty for trading or releasing McNabb between now and then is not substantial. If McNabb were to get a new contract, presumably it would entail a signing bonus that would make it very difficult for the Birds to take the cap hit if they wanted to part with him over the next few years. Such an obligation might color any future decisions like the one Reid made back on Nov. 23, benching McNabb for the second half of the 36-7 loss in Baltimore. At the time, it seemed the McNabb era was ending.

"It deals with a lot of different things," McNabb said, when asked what the contract concern really entails. "We'll kind of leave it at that. Things get taken care of, then I won't have to answer, 'Will I be back next year?' "

McNabb agreed yesterday that when he signed for a reported 12 years and $112 million in 2002, the idea always was that the contract would be reworked before it expired. In 2002, a $10.3 million cap charge, such as McNabb will incur in 2009, seemed unthinkable. Then, no one saw the cap expanding as rapidly as it has. The benefit from dramatically lowering their 2009 cap obligation might not be as big an incentive to the Eagles as it seemed in 2002.

"I think a lot of times, fans just look at it like, 'He's getting paid a lot of money, why does he want to talk about this?' [But] when you do contracts, that's kind of the way it goes," McNabb said. "We'll communicate on it, get things solved, and I won't have to answer, 'Will I be back next year?' . . . I've had to answer [questions about his future] 16, 20 weeks this year, and last year as well. It's tiresome. But I'd rather people ask me every year than, say, me be somewhere else, or whatever, and people saying, 'Well how was it in Philly?' I want to be in Philly.

"I saw Irving Fryar - what'd he get, a motorcyle when he retired? I don't ride motorcycles, but I can get a car; I can drive a car."

McNabb also was asked to address another NFL Network commentator's unsubstantiated a$sertion. That paragon of fitness, Warren Sapp, a$serted this week that McNabb is not in shape, and claimed that a patch McNabb wore near his elbow toward the end of the NFC Championship Game indicated an intravenous site, meaning McNabb got dehydrated.

"I didn't get an IV," McNabb said, showing reporters a turf burn near his elbow that was bandaged during the game. "I had a little boo-boo . . . I'm in pretty good shape. I still get my cardio every day. I don't know about that one."

Often, when McNabb speaks at the Super Bowl, he says something about needing more weapons, which becomes the headline for his remarks. He was reluctant to be drawn into that discussion yesterday. He certainly was not on any "give me this" crusade.

"Are we going to talk about that now?" McNabb asked, when a questioner brought it up. "Yeah, we do need more weapons, on both sides, all phases of the game."

But he agreed with Dawkins, that better health for some key offensive figures, such as guard Shawn Andrews, running back Brian Westbrook and wideout Kevin Curtis, might make a big difference.

Asked when his much-discussed offseason sitdown might take place, McNabb said, "That's between us."

And the guy who hands out towels at the pool. *

> McNabb says he wants to retire as an Eagle - Photo posted in BX SportsCenter | Sign in and leave a comment below! Pay the man, shirley.

Latest Sports Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

29 comments for "McNabb says he wants to retire as an Eagle"

01-31-2009, 07:18 AMaway - #2
dionedre3000 

d 
space
$7,625 | POWERFUL
Better him then me cuz my a$s would've have been gone along time ago.
 01-31-2009, 07:53 AMonline - #3
Doe Stacks 

d 
space
$4,367 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dionedre3000
Better him then me cuz my a$s would've have been gone along time ago.
And go where? and play for who? The Chicago Bears? Good 1.
 01-31-2009, 07:54 AMaway - #4
Iverson Romo 

d 
space
$822 | 0
there a good fit, a player who has accomplished nothing will retire with a franchise that has accomplished nothing :applause:
 01-31-2009, 07:56 AMaway - #5
Donovan McNabb 

d 
space
$280 | 0
^ says the guy reppin the two biggest losers in sports history...
 01-31-2009, 08:03 AMonline - #6
Doe Stacks 

d 
space
$4,367 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Iverson Romo
there a good fit, a player who has accomplished nothing will retire with a franchise that has accomplished nothing :applause:
What has Iverson accomplished compared to Mcnabb? Lol I swear people dont think b4 they post...Too late to hit the edit button now homie.
 01-31-2009, 08:05 AMaway - #7
Iverson Romo 

d 
space
$822 | 0
Originally Posted by Doe Stacks
What has Iverson accomplished compared to Mcnabb? Lol I swear people dont think b4 they post...Too late to hit the edit button now homie.

you were better off being a jets fan :greetings10:
 01-31-2009, 08:07 AMaway - #8
smokeweed101. 4 heat pts

d 
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Donovan McNabb
TAMPA - The fictional pool party Donovan McNabb envisioned yesterday sounded a whole lot more colorful than what the real contract talks between Eagles' management and its quarterback are likely to resemble.

McNabb suggested that he, Andy Reid and team president Joe Banner were going swimming in Tampa, with Reid "wearing a Speedo," Banner carrying "a little float," and Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie barbecuing, as they hashed out contract details. This would clear a major offseason hurdle for the team, and provide some memorable video footage, as well.

Unfortunately, we're pretty sure McNabb was joking.

McNabb, in high spirits as he toured the Super Bowl XLIII media center "radio row" with his parents on behalf of Novartis pharmaceutical company and its medications, reiterated to a group of Philadelphia-area reporters that his contract will indeed be on the agenda in his offseason sitdown with management. But he emphatically declared, "I want to retire as an Eagle."

That part came when McNabb was asked about NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders' repeated a$sertions that the quarterback and his family want out of Philadelphia.

"I talk to Deion. Deion is a great guy, but Deion's not speaking for me. I want to retire as an Eagle," McNabb said. "I remember my rookie year, or I believe my second year, with Mayor Street, I said I wanted to bring a Super Bowl back to Philadelphia, go down Broad Street with the parade. The Phillies did it first, and I'm happy for them that they did, but myself and [free safety] Brian Dawkins, it's something we've talked about for years, being able to do that. We look forward to hopefully bringing it back next year, down Broad Street, I believe [the game's] in Miami, be able to hold that trophy up and say, 'We did it.' "

McNabb was asked about Banner's recent media tour and his contention that neither McNabb nor agent Fletcher Smith has said anything to the Eagles about McNabb's contract being an issue. So will his contract will be part of the discussion?

"Everyone knows that," McNabb said, laughing off the idea that Banner will somehow be surprised. "You guys know that, and you talk about it. We'll just leave it behind closed doors. Communication'll go well. We'll hopefully get things solved. We'll be here [in the Super Bowl] next year, hopefully, and I won't have to go through media row. I'll be sitting at the little tent with the chair [on an interview podium] trying to answer questions and get ready for the game on Sunday."

The contract issue is less about money and more about security. McNabb is scheduled to make about $9.2 million next season, but thanks to voidable years, his contract is up the year after that, and the salary-cap penalty for trading or releasing McNabb between now and then is not substantial. If McNabb were to get a new contract, presumably it would entail a signing bonus that would make it very difficult for the Birds to take the cap hit if they wanted to part with him over the next few years. Such an obligation might color any future decisions like the one Reid made back on Nov. 23, benching McNabb for the second half of the 36-7 loss in Baltimore. At the time, it seemed the McNabb era was ending.

"It deals with a lot of different things," McNabb said, when asked what the contract concern really entails. "We'll kind of leave it at that. Things get taken care of, then I won't have to answer, 'Will I be back next year?' "

McNabb agreed yesterday that when he signed for a reported 12 years and $112 million in 2002, the idea always was that the contract would be reworked before it expired. In 2002, a $10.3 million cap charge, such as McNabb will incur in 2009, seemed unthinkable. Then, no one saw the cap expanding as rapidly as it has. The benefit from dramatically lowering their 2009 cap obligation might not be as big an incentive to the Eagles as it seemed in 2002.

"I think a lot of times, fans just look at it like, 'He's getting paid a lot of money, why does he want to talk about this?' [But] when you do contracts, that's kind of the way it goes," McNabb said. "We'll communicate on it, get things solved, and I won't have to answer, 'Will I be back next year?' . . . I've had to answer [questions about his future] 16, 20 weeks this year, and last year as well. It's tiresome. But I'd rather people ask me every year than, say, me be somewhere else, or whatever, and people saying, 'Well how was it in Philly?' I want to be in Philly.

"I saw Irving Fryar - what'd he get, a motorcyle when he retired? I don't ride motorcycles, but I can get a car; I can drive a car."

McNabb also was asked to address another NFL Network commentator's unsubstantiated a$sertion. That paragon of fitness, Warren Sapp, a$serted this week that McNabb is not in shape, and claimed that a patch McNabb wore near his elbow toward the end of the NFC Championship Game indicated an intravenous site, meaning McNabb got dehydrated.

"I didn't get an IV," McNabb said, showing reporters a turf burn near his elbow that was bandaged during the game. "I had a little boo-boo . . . I'm in pretty good shape. I still get my cardio every day. I don't know about that one."

Often, when McNabb speaks at the Super Bowl, he says something about needing more weapons, which becomes the headline for his remarks. He was reluctant to be drawn into that discussion yesterday. He certainly was not on any "give me this" crusade.

"Are we going to talk about that now?" McNabb asked, when a questioner brought it up. "Yeah, we do need more weapons, on both sides, all phases of the game."

But he agreed with Dawkins, that better health for some key offensive figures, such as guard Shawn Andrews, running back Brian Westbrook and wideout Kevin Curtis, might make a big difference.

Asked when his much-discussed offseason sitdown might take place, McNabb said, "That's between us."

And the guy who hands out towels at the pool. *

Pay the man, shirley.
Your name sucks and McNabb is a loser.
 01-31-2009, 08:07 AMonline - #9
Doe Stacks 

d 
space
$4,367 | POWERFUL
Didnt I say it was too late for u? Please dont let me get started on Romo. Just take the L and keep it moving.
 01-31-2009, 08:09 AMaway - #10
Donovan McNabb 

d 
space
$280 | 0
Originally Posted by smokeweed101.
Theres my little #### smokeweed....sees an eagles thread and comes running ...11-5 and no playoffs, bummer!
 01-31-2009, 08:09 AMaway - #11
Iverson Romo 

d 
space
$822 | 0
Didnt I say it was too late for u? Please dont let me get started on Romo. Just take the L and keep it moving.

your an eagles fan, what are you going to bring up? all the superbowls you guys have won?

or maybe ull talk about all them Doe Stacks you got :rolleyes:

geek
 01-31-2009, 08:11 AMonline - #12
Doe Stacks 

d 
space
$4,367 | POWERFUL
your an eagles fan, what are you going to bring up? all the superbowls you guys have won?

or maybe ull talk about all them Doe Stacks you got :rolleyes:

geek
Did u just say geek? Ah man..Im done wit u. No need to respond cuz I wont.
 01-31-2009, 08:14 AMaway - #13
Iverson Romo 

d 
space
$822 | 0
Did u just say geek? Ah man..Im done wit u. No need to respond cuz I wont.

because you lost :greetings10:
 01-31-2009, 08:14 AMaway - #14
Syphernix 9 heat pts

d 
space
$16,239 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by smokeweed101.

:dancingcool:
 01-31-2009, 08:23 AMonline - #15
Doe Stacks 

d 
space
$4,367 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Syphernix

:dancingcool:
I know u aint talking. U still salty about the last game?
 01-31-2009, 08:30 AMaway - #16
smokeweed101. 4 heat pts

d 
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Donovan McNabb
Theres my little #### smokeweed....sees an eagles thread and comes running ...11-5 and no playoffs, bummer!
Super Bowl 39, Patriots over Eagles

Brady 3, McNabb 0.
 01-31-2009, 08:30 AMaway - #17
smokeweed101. 4 heat pts

d 
space
$19,343 | POWERFUL

#### the Eagles
 01-31-2009, 09:40 AMaway - #18
Syphernix 9 heat pts

d 
space
$16,239 | POWERFUL
I know u aint talking. U still salty about the last game?
salty over what, yall didnt accomplish nothing

:laughing19:@ you thinkin you get a prize for defeating the giants

Last edited by Syphernix; 01-31-2009 at 09:41 AM..
 01-31-2009, 10:24 AMaway - #19
primetime 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$20,670 | POWERFUL
I would love that too
 01-31-2009, 12:13 PMaway - #20
Donovan McNabb 

d 
space
$280 | 0
Originally Posted by Syphernix
salty over what, yall didnt accomplish nothing

:laughing19:@ you thinkin you get a prize for defeating the giants
Sure do get a prize....its called braggin rights...hoe :dancingcool:

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NBA Ray Allen leaning toward signing with the Cavaliers
74 comments
NBA Throwback: Ed Davis: "Ain't no way a REAL basketball pla..
61 comments
NBA Seattle & Louisville To Both Get New NBA Teams
72 comments
 Image(s) inside Rick Ross Is Out Here Losin Weight.. Part 2
New reply 8 seconds ago - 78 comments - by MusicVideos
 Image(s) inside Dr Dre Yacht Life With Xzibit
New reply 10 minutes ago - 70 comments - by WizDoM
 Image(s) inside 30 Facts You Didn't Know About Sleep (infographic)
New reply 2 minutes ago - 57 comments - by LowaEastSide5
 Video inside Yg Bicken Back Bein Bool Video
New reply 11 minutes ago - 106 comments - by SM
 Image(s) inside She Goes By Thick Yellowbone
New reply 3 minutes ago - 73 comments - by daddy31+2
 Article inside Drake Calls Himself & J. Cole The "only Two K...
New reply 16 minutes ago - 147 comments - by justinjones
 NBA Reports : Kevin Love To Cleveland Could Be Done By Fri...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 158 comments - by theFREAK
 Image(s) inside My Moms Sent Me This Text, Yall Folks Do This Sh-t?
New reply 16 minutes ago - 73 comments - by Affliction

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.