This is BX @ Boxden.com

Lance Berkman bashes Miami Marlins new stadium

Lance Berkman bashes Miami Marlins new stadium
topic by Tiko377 - 04-08-2012, 11:18 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Lance Berkman is never shy when it comes to expressing opinion about things. He rarely gives politically correct answers and often times stirs controversy with his brutal honesty.

Just a few weeks ago Berkman stirred the pot when he accused Bud Selig and Major League Baseball of extorting the Houston Astros and forcing them to move to the American League. Last season Berkman got into a verbal exchange with the Texas Rangers and their former pitcher C.J. Wilson through a radio station in Dallas.

Now, after the Cardinals season opening win over the Miami Marlins, the first official MLB game played in the stadium, Berkman is letting his thoughts be known on the new stadium. To the surprise of few, his thoughts on the new stadium are not so rosy.

First Berkman ripped the atmosphere and some of the nostalgia of the Marlins opening night.
“I wasn’t real sure we were playing a baseball game, to be honest with you. It seemed more like an SEC football game for a while. But they did intend for us to play baseball. I found out about 15 minutes before first pitch.”
“There were a lot of shenanigans. The thing about it is, if I was building a new ballpark ... one of the things about baseball that people gravitate toward is nostalgia. That’s why people love Wrigley Field. They love Fenway Park. You can kind of step back in time."
"What they tried to do here is step forward in time. A lot of the things you normally a$sociate with baseball ... you don’t see cheerleaders at baseball games. They were there tonight. You don’t see flamenco dancers. They were there tonight. You don’t see DJs and bands during the game. You saw that tonight. ... I’m not sure baseball fans embrace that kind of change.”
Then Berkman ripped the size of the Marlins new stadium, which is among the most spacious in baseball.

“It’s huge ... the biggest ballpark in the game,” Berkman said. “If they don’t move the fences in after this year, I’ll be surprised. I’ll go with two years with the over/under on that."
“People have tried this big ballpark deal and it never works. Detroit moved the fences in. New York moved the fences in. There’s a reason why it’s 330-375-400. That’s a fair baseball game. You try to get too outrageous, you end up with something that I think will be detrimental to their ballclub.”
Finally, Berkman did manage to complement the architects of the stadium, but still was unclear as to what the Marlins were thinking about the new stadium.
“I think the stadium itself is really pretty. It’s got some good architecture. But the dimensions leave something to be desired.”
So what do you think? Is Berkman right? Are flamenco dancers and DJs appropriate for baseball games? Is the stadium too big as Berkman entails or just perfect for the Marlins speedy lineup? Lets here your thoughts.
Berkman bashes Marlins Park

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

72 comments for "Lance Berkman bashes Miami Marlins new stadium"

04-08-2012, 11:20 PMaway - #2
breakingbad 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$1,575 | 12384056
lance might be the ####est player in the big leagues.
 04-08-2012, 11:22 PMonline - #3
BronxBombers 164 heat pts164

d 
space
$32,294 | POWERFUL
He's right Thou

The game of baseball is built on tradition Y try to change and adjust for the 21st century

Look at the New Yankee stadium it's a exact replica of the original Stadium back in 1923
 04-08-2012, 11:23 PMaway - #4
breakingbad 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$1,575 | 12384056
Originally Posted by Bronxb0mbers
He's right Thou

The game of baseball is built on tradition Y try to change and adjust for the 21st century

Look at the New Yankee stadium it's a exact replica of the original Stadium back in 1923
and kevin milar ####es about it

04-08-2012, 11:26 PMonline - #5

d 
space
$32,294 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by breakingbad
and kevin milar ####es about it

Kevin Millar is a f#g thou .....HEs a Salty Muthafuccker

The Marlins had Flamingos dancers between innings who does that
 04-08-2012, 11:28 PMonline - #6
AC_89 64 heat pts64

d 
space
$18,794 | POWERFUL
Dude does talk alot but he speaks his mind I like that
 04-08-2012, 11:31 PMaway - #7
lilsnatch770|M 92 heat pts92

d 
space
$27,870 | POWERFUL
A lot of people don't like the New Yankee Stadium from what I've heard I didn't look at the dimensions in Miami and I haven't watched a game from there yet. It is a little weird to have cheerleaders and #### but
 04-08-2012, 11:32 PMaway - #8
Fearless Genius 64 heat pts64

d 
space
$3,832 | POWERFUL
He's right Thou

i don't know whether berkman is right or wrong about the stadium but I will say that baseball really needs to get with the times on certain things. there is no reason we need an umpire to call balls and strikes when we have the technology to have an automated strike zone. also, baseball needs to expand instant replay to things like whether a player was safe or out. i don't get why they don't. it's mostly because baseball is run by a bunch of old guys who are way too stubborn about tradition. they like the human element, which is just stupid. i say, when possible, get rid of the human element. no reason for it when we have the technology to handle that stuff.
 04-08-2012, 11:34 PMonline - #9
Moony Jackson 263 heat pts263

d 
space
$17,031 | POWERFUL
hes right and the funny thing is he didn't even mention the fruity a$s sculpture in left field
 04-08-2012, 11:34 PMaway - #10
steeLTown 111 heat pts111

d 
space
$19,186 | POWERFUL
How far back are the fences in that park?

and i wish all players in every sport spoke their mind like Berkman does...so we aint gotta hear the same old cliche #### these players say interviews...
 04-08-2012, 11:39 PMonline - #11
JamcnPrettyboy 75 heat pts75

d 
space
$18,154 | POWERFUL
Cheerleaders, flamenco dancers, dj's, and bands at a baseball game? Wtf?
 04-08-2012, 11:40 PMonline - #12

d 
space
$32,294 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by JamcnPrettyboy
Cheerleaders, flamenco dancers, dj's, and bands at a baseball game? Wtf?
Thats What I'm saying thats not a baseball Event

Thats CARNIVAL
 04-08-2012, 11:42 PMaway - #13
That Guy Fly 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$45,292 | POWERFUL
I guess...ehhh #### this #### I'm outta hear
 04-08-2012, 11:42 PMaway - #14
Dangerously 204 heat pts204

d 
space
$44,581 | POWERFUL
1. Berkman forgets what City he's in. This stadium is here to celebrate everything that is Miami. The Clevelander, the cheerleaders, flamenco dancers, even that huge monstrocity in the outfield, it's all the culture of excess that is Miami. The fact that he doesn't get that shows how culturally ignorant Berkman is. There have been cheerleaders in Carribean baseball for years.

2. Exactly what kind of Baseball nostalgia is there in South Florida? Playing ball on the islands? Give me a break.

3. Seeing those Giancarlo Stanton pop flies deep in center makes me think they'll move the fences after this season.

4. Berkman is 1000% right about Selig forcing the Astros to move.
 04-08-2012, 11:42 PMonline - #15

d 
space
$32,294 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by EnlightenMe
i don't know whether berkman is right or wrong about the stadium but I will say that baseball really needs to get with the times on certain things. there is no reason we need an umpire to call balls and strikes when we have the technology to have an automated strike zone. also, baseball needs to expand instant replay to things like whether a player was safe or out. i don't get why they don't. it's mostly because baseball is run by a bunch of old guys who are way too stubborn about tradition. they like the human element, which is just stupid. i say, when possible, get rid of the human element. no reason for it when we have the technology to handle that stuff.
i dont agree with none of this i rather really on a human being calling the game than technology

and for the replay we don't need it on every play then a 3hr baseball game becomes 5-6 hrs not to mention how long Redsox vs yankees game
 04-08-2012, 11:46 PMaway - #16
dg177bx 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,603 | POWERFUL
Thats What I'm saying thats not a baseball Event

Thats CARNIVAL
#### you ####ing for? its called CHANGE. the marlins former stadium didnt have historic lore that the original teams have, to be even considered as part of a "traidition", anyone that knows baseball knows this. the marlins came INTO A FOOTBALL stadium in 93', its idiotic for berkman and you to even talk aimless #### when in fact the marlins needed their own identity to begin with. dont discuss baseball please
 04-08-2012, 11:46 PMaway - #17
Blah 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$20,083 | POWERFUL
guess berkman has never seen baseball games in other countries

loud drums trumpets ####es dancing on top of the dugout
 04-08-2012, 11:54 PMaway - #18

d 
space
$44,581 | POWERFUL
I'm slightly defensive about this stadium because I've heard several interviews with David Samson and heard him get ####ted on and abused for this stadium. He put a lot of thought and a lot of care into the stadium.
 04-08-2012, 11:56 PMaway - #19

d 
space
$44,581 | POWERFUL
i dont agree with none of this i rather really on a human being calling the game than technology
There have been too many horrible calls in the last year that would've been reversed with a simple look on replay.
 04-09-2012, 12:00 AMaway - #20
Fearless Genius 64 heat pts64

d 
space
$3,832 | POWERFUL

and for the replay we don't need it on every play then a 3hr baseball game becomes 5-6 hrs not to mention how long Redsox vs yankees game
why would you rely on a human being when the technology can get it right 100% of the time (referring to automatic strike zone). the automated strike zone or kzone technology you see on tv is used to determine if a home plate umpire made the right call. why not just use the kzone and get rid of the umpire's ability to call balls and strikes alltogether? it wouldn't take any longer than the umpire. as far as the safe or out part, maybe i was ambiguous but replays are used when the play is questionable. i wasn't suggesting to change that aspect. just allow the umpires to review the safe or out aspect on the bases when it's questionable. why not get the call right? i don't understand why you'd rely on a human for a call that is objective and can be done right 100 percent of the time. who wants to see a team get robbed of a win or a world series championship because of a wrong call? it doesn't make any sense. and the games wouldn't be any longer than they already are.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  asian twins Wiz cheated on Amber Rose with?
56 comments
NBA LIVE 15 Gameplay Improvements: Offense
67 comments
NBA So Anthony Davis is the Best PF in the League?
64 comments
 Article inside Beef ! Troy Ave Threatens Ilovemakonnen Hopefully It ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 154 comments - by ajeana
  Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor |ot| The Lotr Game We'v...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 213 comments - by CrAkKedOuT
 Image(s) inside Trick Daddy Celebrates His Birthday With #lhhatl’s Mim...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 108 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Image(s) inside Peter Rosenberg & Charlamagne Tha God Exchange Wor...
New reply 28 minutes ago - 65 comments - by Dray
  Sep 30 - White Woman Sues, Says Sperm Bank Gave Vials ...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 141 comments - by BeatTycoon
 Video inside Acting Hard On Tv Goes Wrong!
New reply 35 minutes ago - 84 comments - by majestykagiso
 audio inside New Joe Budden - Nothing Changes Ft Ransom & Tsu S...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 70 comments - by dominicanlink12
 NBA Carmelo Anthony Quote Of The Year!!!!
New reply 49 minutes ago - 80 comments - by Dray

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,817 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.