This is BX @ Boxden.com

ESPN fires writer for penning racist Jeremy Lin headline; suspends anchor for 30 days

ESPN fires writer for penning racist Jeremy Lin headline; suspends anchor for 30 days
topic by jlandryst - 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

ESPN has fired the writer who wrote a headline using the phrase “chink in the armor” to refer to Jeremy Lin, the network said Sunday morning.

The network also hit anchor Max Bretos, who used the same term on the air while discussing Lin, with a 30 day suspension.

“We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future,” ESPN said in a statement.

A commentator made a similar reference on ESPN Radio New York Friday. ESPN officials say the commentator was not an employee.

The headline — “Chink in the Armor: Jeremy Lin’s 9 Turnovers Cost Knicks in Streak-stopping Loss to Hornets” was posted on ESPN’s mobile site for about a half hour early Saturday morning before it was removed.

Read more: ESPN fires writer for penning racist Jeremy LinÂ*headline; suspends anchor for 30 daysÂ* - NY Daily News

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

111 comments for "ESPN fires writer for penning racist Jeremy Lin headline; suspends anchor for 30 days"

02-19-2012, 10:20 AMaway - #2
Agentzer0oo0 132 heat pts132

d 
space
$48,554 | POWERFUL
 02-19-2012, 10:21 AMonline - #3
5_star_smitty|m 147 heat pts147

d 
space
$37,397 | POWERFUL
knew that was gonna happen to the guy who made the line...
didn't know about Max though
 02-19-2012, 10:21 AMonline - #4
T.O.N.Y. 2424 heat pts2424

d 
space
$48,215 | POWERFUL
chink in armor ?

02-19-2012, 10:22 AMaway - #5
27Lives 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$5,856 | 18426067
Damn.. nobody deserved to be fired.
 02-19-2012, 11:27 AMaway - #6
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts

d 
space
$12,863 | POWERFUL
The pussification of america continues

Over ####ing sensitive people
 02-19-2012, 11:37 AMaway - #7
YoungRay20 163 heat pts163

d 
space
$15,678 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cap Peeler
The pussification of america continues

Over ####ing sensitive people
this.
 02-19-2012, 11:40 AMonline - #8
SmooveDude 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$14,453 | POWERFUL
over a headline tho...these ni##a lin finna be out the league in 2 years max
 02-19-2012, 11:42 AMaway - #9
ShaDoW1 6 heat pts

d 
space
$4,821 | POWERFUL
every one is so damn sensitive now holy ####
 02-19-2012, 11:53 AMaway - #10
AnyGiven 39 heat pts39

d 
space
$6,692 | POWERFUL
That writer had 0 common sense. Deserved to get fired
 02-19-2012, 12:00 PMaway - #11
banga 3 heat pts

d 
space
$26,772 | POWERFUL
sensitivity or not, that's a hell of a coincidence in using that phrase in reference to lin.
 02-19-2012, 12:08 PMaway - #12
Ricky Towel 104 heat pts104

d 
space
$14,213 | POWERFUL
I bet if it was a headline that said something like "giants win with Reese's ni##ardly moves" a lot of yall would want him fired and wouldn't be calling it the pussification of america.
 02-19-2012, 12:13 PMaway - #13
Sabotage 8 heat pts

d 
space
$17,091 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by 27Lives
Damn.. nobody deserved to be fired.
bet if that #### had to do something about a black person this site would be up in arms demanding protests and riots
 02-19-2012, 12:16 PMonline - #14
Special Edd 85 heat pts85

d 
space
$16,150 | POWERFUL
Exactly sabotage if it was something about black person yall would be going ham 20 pages deep stfu pussies all of yall lmaoooo everything is never a big deal when it doesn't have nothing to do with you stupid ******s. ronnie dont exuse me SPELLING NI99ER ####ING COONS HERE NEED TO DIE AND BURN.
 02-19-2012, 12:16 PMaway - #15
BigAssTree 1 heat pts

d 
space
$538 | 1571097
Originally Posted by SmooveDude
over a headline tho...these ni##a lin finna be out the league in 2 years max

and this is based on what? The kid is 23, can ball, is only getting better, and you say he's gonna be out of the league in 2 years max.... This is why I love Boxden....

Originally Posted by Ricky Towel
I bet if it was a headline that said something like "giants win with Reese's ni##ardly moves" a lot of yall would want him fired and wouldn't be calling it the pussification of america.
seriously.... and I say this again: This is why I love Boxden...
 02-19-2012, 12:43 PMaway - #16
Sabotage 8 heat pts

d 
space
$17,091 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Universal Mind

I remember the article about the black guy who made a racist comment to an Asian store owner, telling him to go back to his country...all because he had an issue with the price of gas. Then the Asian man told him to go back to Africa. Next thing you know, the whole ignorant part of the community began to protest the man's store. Can you say double standard?

I point that out on here all the time, but according to these coons on here, I'm an "Uncle Tom" for speaking the truth.
quoted for the mother####ing truth. if you dont like other people coming to "your" country, perhaps they take their a$s to a dictator a$s country that doesnt allow ####.
 02-19-2012, 12:43 PMonline - #17
SmooveDude 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$14,453 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BigAssTree
[/color]
and this is based on what? The kid is 23, can ball, is only getting better, and you say he's gonna be out of the league in 2 years max.... This is why I love Boxden....

seriously.... and I say this again: This is why I love Boxden...
if the knicks wouldnt of gone thru that terrible losing streak ni##a wouldnt even of got the look...he average atleast 7 TO's per game and his FT's are suspect

please dont make it seem like you knew this ni##a was gon have a cold 2 weeksbut yea this is why you love boxden...go sitdown somewhere ni##a
 02-19-2012, 12:43 PMaway - #18
That Guy Fly 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$46,182 | POWERFUL
Yeah, this was the right thing to do. While unpopular amongst most fans it was still a poor lack of judgment by the writer and needed punishment
 02-19-2012, 12:47 PMaway - #19
maxnn 100 heat pts100

d 
space
$9,698 | POWERFUL
Michael Kim @MKimESPNAmerica Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
There are thousands of fine, outstanding people at ESPN who I am proud to call colleagues, including Max Bretos.
--------
Dude above is an espnews anchor. Dude probably didn't realize what he said.

Last edited by maxnn; 02-19-2012 at 12:49 PM..
 02-19-2012, 12:57 PMaway - #20
BigAssTree 1 heat pts

d 
space
$538 | 1571097
Originally Posted by SmooveDude
if the knicks wouldnt of gone thru that terrible losing streak ni##a wouldnt even of got the look...he average atleast 7 TO's per game and his FT's are suspect

please dont make it seem like you knew this ni##a was gon have a cold 2 weeksbut yea this is why you love boxden...go sitdown somewhere ni##a
Look here, NOBODY saw this coming. But to say a player will be out of the league in 2 years MAX with no solid backing is just plain stupid because dude is balling. And why are people bringing up AVERAGES at this point of his career? Dude has started 7 games, the averages will definitely be inflated, or are you too bird-brained to understand that?

Turnovers just come with the territory when you're just starting to get the insane amount of playing time he's currently getting and play the role of floor general; not to mention him driving to the bucket all the time. Let's not act like dude hasn't been getting double teamed off the pick, as well. Dude is a playmaker and he's gonna be out of the league in 2 years? Making stupid comments like that...YOU go sit down somewhere, LOL.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 23 - Substitute Teacher Gives Student A BJ On Her First Day
109 comments
Oct 23 - Ebola in NYC
81 comments
Image inside  Oct 23 - 65 Year Old Grandmother Admits to Selling Hu..
51 comments
 NCAAF Notre Dame Freshman Wr Justin Brent Dating Legendary F...
New reply 30 seconds ago - 168 comments - by theFREAK
 NBA Shawn Kemp Top 10 Dunks (the Blake Griffin Of The 90s,...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 133 comments - by EZ Green
 Image(s) inside White Girl Got Azz!!!!!!
New reply 49 seconds ago - 99 comments - by tokinjohn
  Phil Spencer On Whether He Would Have Made Xbox One Mo...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 92 comments - by Da Ill One
 Image(s) inside Ransom Jumps In Ilovemakonnen Beef With Troy Ave After...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 83 comments - by PyrexVisionary
 Image(s) inside Klay Thompson Still Winning Yoooooooooooooooooo!
New reply 13 minutes ago - 149 comments - by Ari Gold
 Image(s) inside After All These Halloweens, I Never Knew (mind Blown)
New reply 5 minutes ago - 81 comments - by italiansteve
 NBA Kendrick Lamar, Kevin Hart Highlight Cleveland Cavalie...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 98 comments - by metatr0n

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,795 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.