This is BX @ Boxden.com

Dana White on Fedor: ‘We tried everything to sign him’

Dana White on Fedor: ‘We tried everything to sign him’
topic by DHARMA - 08-02-2009, 04:16 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

On the morning of negotiations with M-1 Global and Fedor Emelianenko, Dana White didn’t just wake with a good feeling. The UFC president says he knew he was going to sign the top-ranked heavyweight in the world.

“This is going to happen,” White said he told UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta. “It’s going to happen today. We’re going to make this thing happen.”

Days later, however, Emelianenko is back in Russia and still outside the UFC. White was adamant during a media conference call Friday that the fault belongs to M-1 Global.

“I was f---ing miserable, miserable … because we couldn’t make this deal,” White said. “I was so confident we were going to get this done because we were willing to do it. We were willing to make a deal at almost any cost.”

The “almost” involves co-promoting. White said he won’t do a deal that includes co-promotion, and M-1 Global President Vadim Finkelstein has said he won’t do one that excludes it.

“We built this business, this entire freaking industry,” White said. “How are they going to come in and help us co-promote? It’s basically them coming and saying, ‘We’ve got this guy and some people say he might be the best heavyweight in the world. So for that, we want half your business.’ Yeah, OK. That #### probably works in Russia. Not here.”

White added that the Fertittas’ gaming license would hinder co-promoting with M-1.

“People from other countries just don’t walk in and jump in business with the Fertitta brothers,” he said. “There has to be full background checks and all kinds of crazy ####. It doesn’t work that way. It’s impossible; it will never happen.”

Other than co-promotion, White said he had relented on previous sticking points such as allowing Emelianenko to compete in sambo tournaments. He characterized himself as “the nicest Dana ever” during negotiations and described his offer to Emelianenko as “amazing.” No figures were discussed, but White guaranteed the Russian would not be offered a better deal.

“He got offered a f---ing a$sload of money,” White said. “A ton of money, everything he wanted. He can go f!ght in sambo every f---ing Thursday night if he wants to. He can do everything he wanted to. We showed them nothing but respect.”

White sounded equal parts angry and exasperated Friday. He had said he didn’t want to discuss Emelianenko but then did numerous times over the hour-long call.

“It’s insanity to turn down a deal like this,” White said. “To turn down a deal like this, you don’t care about proving you’re the best in the world. You don’t want to f!ght the best in the world. You don’t care about money. How do you deal with something like that?”

Several times White reiterated that the door to a deal was still open, then he kind of closed it by saying he was over the deal and didn’t want to discuss Emelianenko anymore, then he opened it again by saying M-1 could call him right then and they could reach an agreement if they’d budge on co-promoting.

By the call’s end White was back to questioning Emelianenko’s status as the best in the world and wondering why the media cares so much about a heavyweight who will not challenge himself in the sport’s top promotion.

In that way, the UFC wagons have circled. Might as well. M-1’s are going round and round, too, and against everything Dana White was certain of when he woke one morning this week, Fedor Emelianenko is still not in the UFC.

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

34 comments for "Dana White on Fedor: ‘We tried everything to sign him’"

08-02-2009, 04:17 PMaway - #2
DHARMA 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,529 | 0

08-02-2009, 04:20 PMaway - #3
DEDOS 99 heat pts99

d 
space
$42,747 | POWERFUL
" the nicest dana ever "

i hate that ####in ####... shut ya mouf ... you dont throw hands
 08-02-2009, 04:21 PMaway - #4
DHARMA 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,529 | 0
Anyone else think that the best way to get Fedor is by going out and signing f!ghters like Roger Gracie, Bob Lashley and Brett Rogers. We can argue all day about whether or not they "deserve" to be in the UFC.

The fact is, though, that they are probably the most compelling f!ghts for Fedor outside of the UFC. If Dana's gets those guys into the UFC fold then who's left for Fedor to f!ght? Barnett? Rematches with Arlovski or Sylvia?
 08-02-2009, 04:24 PMaway - #5
-BigC- 

d 
space
$7,837 | 0
I side with Dana on this one, he gave in on a lot of #### and in the end they wanted to much.
 08-02-2009, 04:26 PMaway - #6
-BigC- 

d 
space
$7,837 | 0
Originally Posted by DHARMA
Anyone else think that the best way to get Fedor is by going out and signing f!ghters like Roger Gracie, Bob Lashley and Brett Rogers. We can argue all day about whether or not they "deserve" to be in the UFC.

The fact is, though, that they are probably the most compelling f!ghts for Fedor outside of the UFC. If Dana's gets those guys into the UFC fold then who's left for Fedor to f!ght? Barnett? Rematches with Arlovski or Sylvia?
Yea sign up everyone he would f!ght, doing that would take away his money because he wont get a big purse f!ghting more heavyweight bums.
 08-02-2009, 04:38 PMaway - #7
I'm The Dan 5 heat pts

d 
space
$10,537 | POWERFUL
Fedor is such a big name he WILL get a big purse regardless of who he f!ghts. He's a global icon right now.

I still think Dana is in the right here though. Usually he's a douche bag, but he pretty much gave in on everything. He doesn't want to co-promote. He tried that once and got burned by Pride.

Dana will stick to his guns. Then Fedor will have to decide if he wants to join Strikeforce for much less money and competition or go to the UFC.
 08-02-2009, 04:44 PMaway - #8
Joe Scumbag 

d 
space
$4,039 | 15827739
this #### makes me ...:sad5:
 08-02-2009, 04:55 PMaway - #9
Bedlam 

d 
space
$4,634 | 19496115
This #### really isn't on Fedor, it's his c#cksucking management. He needs to ditch those bums, how the #### are they gonna ask for co-promotion. GTFO, let Fedor f!ght.
 08-02-2009, 04:57 PMaway - #10
Chief Dee 6 heat pts

d 
space
$10,245 | POWERFUL
Is it me, or do UFC fans not realize that the heavyweight division sucks? But then again, the UFC has never been noted for intelligent fans. There are many good matchups for Fedor outside the UFC. Its clear from Dana White's quotes on the co-promotion that he thinks that the UFC is bigger than MMA. All they want is to cash off of Fedor and set up the Lesnar VS Fedor PPV without breaking bread with Fedor's OWN organization. Fedor owns some of M-1, how are you going to try to make 100% profit off him and not break bread with his people? That sounds like the UFC tried to take advantage of Fedor for the sole purpose of putting him against Lesnar. Fedor is down for his nyggas, and he is a boss. UFC fans are disloyal and fickle, of course they cant understand how thorough Fedor is for his M-1 nyggas.

You dont have to go 50/50, but how the hell can you try to slice out M-1 Global as if Fedor belongs to the UFC before he belongs to his own company? Affliction broke bread with M-1, so aint no way that Fedor is settling to phase M-1 out. The way the UFC has dealt with other organizations is di$gusting. And its actually funny watching Fedor frustrate a guy as arrogant is Dana. Fedor has been playing Dana White in these negogiations.

Last edited by Chief Dee; 08-02-2009 at 04:59 PM..
 08-02-2009, 05:07 PMaway - #11
Young_ 244 heat pts244

d 
space
$21,151 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DHARMA
“We built this business, this entire freaking industry,” White said. “How are they going to come in and help us co-promote? It’s basically them coming and saying, ‘We’ve got this guy and some people say he might be the best heavyweight in the world. So for that, we want half your business.’ Yeah, OK. That #### probably works in Russia. Not here.”
stickin it to the russians
 08-02-2009, 05:17 PMaway - #12
L-E-Dub Bitch 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$12,638 | POWERFUL
They scared of Lesnar point blank period
 08-02-2009, 05:25 PMaway - #13
I'm The Dan 5 heat pts

d 
space
$10,537 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Chief Dee
Is it me, or do UFC fans not realize that the heavyweight division sucks? But then again, the UFC has never been noted for intelligent fans. There are many good matchups for Fedor outside the UFC. Its clear from Dana White's quotes on the co-promotion that he thinks that the UFC is bigger than MMA. All they want is to cash off of Fedor and set up the Lesnar VS Fedor PPV without breaking bread with Fedor's OWN organization. Fedor owns some of M-1, how are you going to try to make 100% profit off him and not break bread with his people? That sounds like the UFC tried to take advantage of Fedor for the sole purpose of putting him against Lesnar. Fedor is down for his nyggas, and he is a boss. UFC fans are disloyal and fickle, of course they cant understand how thorough Fedor is for his M-1 nyggas.

You dont have to go 50/50, but how the hell can you try to slice out M-1 Global as if Fedor belongs to the UFC before he belongs to his own company? Affliction broke bread with M-1, so aint no way that Fedor is settling to phase M-1 out. The way the UFC has dealt with other organizations is di$gusting. And its actually funny watching Fedor frustrate a guy as arrogant is Dana. Fedor has been playing Dana White in these negogiations.
What match ups are there for Fedor outside of the UFC? Nothing compared to what Lesnar would bring in. Also, I know people like to put down the UFC and its fans because the UFC is much better than whatever organization you watch/watched, but it dosn't really matter because the UFC is standing tall right now. Get over it.

As of right now, UFC is bigger than MMA. I'm sorry, but any company that tries to take on the UFC gets slaughtered. Affliction folded because of one f!ght. You think that would happen to the UFC? Come on now..

It's not like Fedor isn't getting paid. This dude was supposed to be pulling five million per f!ght? If you care about your boys so much break them off some of that. There is absolutely no way Dana does a co-promotion with M1.

That's the whole point of this deal. Fedor would forgo the M1 logo/brand for the five f!ghters or whatever he is signing. For five million dollars a f!ght? Come on now...

I'm not one of the dumb-dumbs that think Fedor is scared, but UFC has the best competition right now. Instead of f!ghting lame, over the hill, past-UFC champions bring your a$s to the UFC now. While you're still in your prime and we'll see if you truly are the best. The UFC gave in on quite a few areas including the Sambo tournaments. This is a give and take world, so Fedor is going to have to give a bit to get this done. Otherwise, his #### a$s can go f!ght some bums over in Strike force.
 08-02-2009, 05:25 PMaway - #14
Spiffy 34 heat pts34

d 
space
$20,022 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by L-E-Dub ####

08-02-2009, 05:29 PMonline - #15
Jeet Kune Do 5 heat pts

d 
space
$5,398 | 13030321
 08-02-2009, 05:35 PMaway - #16
Bama Boy 77 heat pts77

d 
space
$49,874 | POWERFUL
I'm rolling with Dana on this, the whole time Fedor been sayin it's cause he wants to do other things too while working for UFC. UFC gives him that plus a a$s load of money but he still not coming.
 08-02-2009, 05:35 PMaway - #17
th3ptassassin15 

d 
space
$1,067 | 1148989
fedor aint ever coming to the ufc. his management wants like 50% of what ufc gets. ufc dont wanna partner with fedors company. his management is stupid to think they can just come in and get that much of the ufc.
 08-02-2009, 05:42 PMaway - #18
Chief Dee 6 heat pts

d 
space
$10,245 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by I'm The Dan
What match ups are there for Fedor outside of the UFC? Nothing compared to what Lesnar would bring in. Also, I know people like to put down the UFC and its fans because the UFC is much better than whatever organization you watch/watched, but it dosn't really matter because the UFC is standing tall right now. Get over it.

As of right now, UFC is bigger than MMA. I'm sorry, but any company that tries to take on the UFC gets slaughtered. Affliction folded because of one f!ght. You think that would happen to the UFC? Come on now..

It's not like Fedor isn't getting paid. This dude was supposed to be pulling five million per f!ght? If you care about your boys so much break them off some of that. There is absolutely no way Dana does a co-promotion with M1.

That's the whole point of this deal. Fedor would forgo the M1 logo/brand for the five f!ghters or whatever he is signing. For five million dollars a f!ght? Come on now...

I'm not one of the dumb-dumbs that think Fedor is scared, but UFC has the best competition right now. Instead of f!ghting lame, over the hill, past-UFC champions bring your a$s to the UFC now. While you're still in your prime and we'll see if you truly are the best. The UFC gave in on quite a few areas including the Sambo tournaments. This is a give and take world, so Fedor is going to have to give a bit to get this done. Otherwise, his #### a$s can go f!ght some bums over in Strike force.
UFC is boring up top (HW). I guess the ratings and the Zuffa overpromotion made people forget. Jeff Monson, Fabricio Werdum, Alistair Overeem, Brett Rogers, and Yvel are 5 heavyweight f!ghts lined up for Fedor. Aint none of them nyggas in UFC. Strikeforce has contracts on 3 out of 5 of those guys. And if they sign Monson, its a wrap. He could even go to Sengoku and "revenge" on Barnett. Thats a sixth f!ght. Dream can also build up their division. All of these options are better than Fedor f!ghting Brock 3 times in the UFC. Dana White would have this nygga f!ghting a trilogy due to UFC's wack HW division.
 08-02-2009, 05:52 PMonline - #19
J.BEEZY 7 heat pts

d 
space
$5,263 | 11647743
this sucks...i hope they will get a deal done
 08-02-2009, 06:02 PMaway - #20
CentsCuZ 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$10,612 | POWERFUL

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 30 - Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
78 comments
Image inside  Oct 28 - Life under Obama sucks. And these numbers pr..
79 comments
IGN Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
95 comments
 Video inside Throwback: Iggy Azalea Refuses To Freestyle On Sway In...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 98 comments - by The Bully
 NFL Week 9- Tnf- New Orleans Saints Vs. Carolina Panthers
New reply 13 minutes ago - 440 comments - by Frasier
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 201 comments - by NoLastName
  How You Can Get A New Ps4 For $275
New reply 19 minutes ago - 204 comments - by SpazzOut
 Image(s) inside Oct 29 - Aliens Are Real Reveals Former Area 51 Scient...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 202 comments - by Rick Ross
  Best Rap Album Of 2014?
New reply 20 minutes ago - 105 comments - by QB Eagles
 Video inside This Guy Asked A Homeless Man For A Slice Of Pizza. An...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 91 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 NBA Kobe Now Cursed Out In First Two Games Of The Season
New reply 24 minutes ago - 117 comments - by Loc Da Pusherman

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,832 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.