This is BX @ Boxden.com

BIll Walton encouraged son, Luke walton, to retire. Luke refuses.

BIll Walton encouraged son, Luke walton, to retire. Luke refuses.
topic by Armen87 - 01-08-2011, 03:30 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

bill Walton encouraged Luke Walton to retire in the summer rather than risk a similar future of agony. Luke Walton refused.

“No parent wants to see their child suffer and how that changes your life. Basketball is a glorious celebration of life, of health, of everything that’s good, and there is no better example of that than what Shaq is going through right now with the Boston Celtics and how much the Celtics will mean to Shaq now and for rest of his life, and how much fun it’s going to be on that last long run. “You want that,” Bill said. “You want that for everybody, to have the end be so great, and you really want it for your children.”

Luke: “His concern, obviously, as my father, he doesn’t want me to have it go as far as he went, where he was miserable and all that stuff that went on with him. His advice was health is more important than basketball. But I wasn’t willing to live with that advice. I had to do everything I could first. I think I found a solution that will let me continue to play.”

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...ure/index.html

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

29 comments for "BIll Walton encouraged son, Luke walton, to retire. Luke refuses."

01-08-2011, 03:32 PMonline - #2
LordBlanco|M 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$23,341 | POWERFUL
Does Luke has some sort of genetic disease? :wtf:
 01-08-2011, 03:33 PMaway - #3
Funeral Barb 54 heat pts54

d 
space
$2,900 | POWERFUL
luke who???
 01-08-2011, 03:51 PMonline - #4
YoungForcers 

d 
space
$1,754 | 2992767
i wonder whats wrong with him
 01-08-2011, 03:53 PMaway - #5
bkid 106 heat pts106

d 
space
$7,664 | POWERFUL
at not posting the entire ####
he's worried about his son's back problems, since he had the same

Walton all-too familiar with pain son could face one day

Posted Jan 6 2011 9:44AM
The soft blue eyes well up, the commanding voice chokes to a halt in mid-sentence, and the head turns down and away from the conversation.
Bill Walton is nearly in tears.
"I don't want you to write this story. This is ..."
Walton stops and takes nine seconds to gather himself in silence.
The Hall of Fame center was nearly ruined by back problems, tortured by searing pain to the point he said he contemplated ending his life. Now his son has back problems. He continues to play for the Lakers.
Bill Walton encouraged Luke Walton to retire in the summer rather than risk a similar future of agony. Luke Walton refused.
This is ... so hard.
"No parent wants to see their child suffer and how that changes your life. Basketball is a glorious celebration of life, of health, of everything that's good, and there is no better example of that than what Shaq is going through right now with the Boston Celtics and how much the Celtics will mean to Shaq now and for rest of his life, and how much fun it's going to be on that last long run.
"You want that," Bill said. "You want that for everybody, to have the end be so great, and you really want it for your children."
Even an encouraging start to the season does not ease the worry. Luke has played in only 21 of L.A.'s 36 games and is averaging just 7.1 minutes per game as free-agent acquisition Matt Barnes gobbles playing time behind Ron Artest. But the only injury that forced Walton to the sideline is the strained right hamstring that cost him five contests from Oct. 26-Nov. 3. No sign of back trouble.
Still, the problem was serious enough last season that he missed 50 games with a pinched nerve. Luke devoted a lot of the summer to intense workouts to strengthen the back. Doubt existed as training camp approached whether the younger Walton would play this season.
The Lakers responded by signing Barnes, in part because of the push from Kobe Bryant to add more combative players to the roster, especially because Bryant loved the acquisition of Artest the season before and hoped the Lakers would land one of his greatest foils, Raja Bell.
Walton's father responded with a message, words from a loved one: Retire. Basketball is a passion, but it's not life.
"Any parent would do everything to take pain, suffering, frustration, disappointment and loss out of their children's lives," Bill said. "I want what's best for Luke."
Luke: "His concern, obviously, as my father, he doesn't want me to have it go as far as he went, where he was miserable and all that stuff that went on with him. His advice was health is more important than basketball. But I wasn't willing to live with that advice. I had to do everything I could first. I think I found a solution that will let me continue to play."
Bill: "I don't want to see him in pain. I don't want to see the long-term ramifications."
Luke admits his father encouraged him to think about the future: "And I wasn't OK with that."
Their back-and-forth lasts through the months. The son is undeniably and unapologetically living for the moment. The father knows what that can mean.
The father, at 58, is in great spirits again. He's living in his hometown of San Diego and bubbling over with enthusiasm. He's an ambassador of the game, a regular at major NBA events, but he remembers the long road back as a player. The son is 30, in the eighth season of an excellent career for a second-round pick. He, admittedly, is concerned about the long road ahead and problems he could face in his 50s and 60s.
That's the one part they agree on.
"But," Luke said, "I don't focus on those things. If that happens, that happens. I'll have to deal it with it then, down the road. But to sit around and worry about that now, lose sleep over it now, is not going to do anything for me.
"So I just keep working hard and doing my exercises and my stretching. I've been doing yoga once or twice a week. Pilates. All that stuff, every week. The combination of everything has been great."
Bill: "Did you ever listen to your dad? Did I ever listen to coach Wooden? No. But I'm his dad and I want what's best for Luke. Luke is so very fortunate to be on the best franchise in the NBA right now. What the Lakers have done for him, what Phil Jackson has done for him, and [owner] Dr. [Jerry] Buss and [general manager] Mitch Kupchak has just been unbelievable. He's very, very lucky."
Back and forth.
The words come from a family member, not a former player. Still, that former player was enormously talented, smart and unselfish. He was one of the greatest college players ever, an NBA MVP and Sixth Man of the Year winner and an integral part of two championship teams.
''I told him, I said, 'What would you have done if you were playing?'" Luke said, recalling a conversation with his father. "He said ...," and here Luke drops into a deep-voiced Bill Walton impression, "... 'Different story. I'm your father.'
"But I'm me. So ..."
 01-08-2011, 04:13 PMaway - #6
airmcnair06 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$5,984 | POWERFUL
shoulda took the advice....there's still time....
 01-08-2011, 04:17 PMaway - #7
Cartel-Clipz 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$19,125 | POWERFUL
as much as I dislike Luke, what kind of #### is that to tell your son?

Former Celtic or not, Bill Walton isn't ####. he's been saying some dumb #### over the years but this takes the cake
 01-08-2011, 04:19 PMaway - #8
JeeQ 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$15,005 | POWERFUL
I'm sure his back will be fine during those 1-2 minutes he actually plays in a game.
 01-08-2011, 04:23 PMaway - #9
dirtybayrecordz 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,651 | 4809881
Originally Posted by JeeQ
I'm sure his back will be fine during those 1-2 minutes he actually plays in a game.
 01-08-2011, 04:26 PMaway - #10
BayBuryYa 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,769 | 6050998
Originally Posted by Cartel-Clipz

Former Celtic or not, Bill Walton isn't ####. he's been saying some dumb #### over the years but this takes the cake
I don't see what's wrong with what Bill said. Bill has debilitating back problems and he doesn't want to see his son go through the same thing. It's not like the Waltons are hurting for money. Letting his son know there's a long life ahead of him after hoop... don't let it be miserable b/c you wanted to continue your below average career.
 01-08-2011, 04:32 PMaway - #11
OOps 

d 
space
$7,708 | 17780745
Puke walton, i cant wait till they get rid of this ni##a.....Taking up space on the bench and is a joke. Only got on cause of his dad and as a laker fan, i dont want this dude on my team....Trade him or make him a coach, just get off the payroll and bring someone else in.
 01-08-2011, 04:32 PMaway - #12
GriffMcfly 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$3,393 | 16215301
:
 01-08-2011, 04:42 PMaway - #13
Iceberg Slim 1 heat pts

d 
space
$379 | 1538105
I don't know why yall trippin. The father is only looking out for his son. And the son refuses to get babied and just play whatever minutes he could get and get paid.

Yall boys mad Lukay gettin' more cake than all yall and plays next to the ni##a yall worship.
 01-08-2011, 04:49 PMaway - #14
RAZAH CUTS 2771 heat pts2771

d 
space
$40,999 | POWERFUL

he's trying to look out for him you douche....

back problems can be excruciatingly painful man....he don't want his son to endure that...
 01-08-2011, 04:55 PMaway - #15
Cartel-Clipz 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$19,125 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by xyz11scorp21xyz
you need to never post about basketball ever again for saying some #### like that

bill walton was a mother####ing SUPERSTAR on the trailblazers, won his ring, is one of the 50 greatest nba players ever and one of the 10 greatest college players ever
ni##a, #### you and #### Bill Walton
 01-08-2011, 04:55 PMaway - #16
big blak afrika 1 heat pts

d 
space
$5,853 | 19407282
Originally Posted by xyz11scorp21xyz
you need to never post about basketball ever again for saying some #### like that

bill walton was a mother####ing SUPERSTAR on the trailblazers, won his ring, is one of the 50 greatest nba players ever and one of the 10 greatest college players ever
I agree with you on that. He was overrated as a pro tho. Only cause he couldn't stay on the court tho people got a glimpse of what he could've been the year he was healthy.
 01-08-2011, 04:58 PMaway - #17
Walt Thizzney 128 heat pts128

d 
space
$4,881 | POWERFUL
lukeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 01-08-2011, 05:16 PMaway - #18
KURUPTION!!! 478 heat pts478

d 
space
$32,993 | POWERFUL

You obviously don't know what kind of pain it's like to have back issues. That #### is nothing to #### around with. Pain so bad you wanted to k## yourself. I watch my father deal with back issues like that and now I am, #### hurts everyday and my #### is minor. What's wrong with being concerned about your child's health under those kind of circumstances. Daude won't be able to play with his kids at this rate, but hey he got his 8 minutes a game in the NBA.
 01-08-2011, 05:32 PMaway - #19
carltouss619 8 heat pts

d 
space
$8,969 | POWERFUL
your joking right? he's a key element to that team success
 01-08-2011, 05:34 PMaway - #20
Hold That 91 heat pts91

d 
space
$28,490 | POWERFUL
Bill Walton is one of the most overrated NBA pro's ever.. He had like 2 HOF worthy seasons in the league but was so respected because of his college days.. He could never stay healthy

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Oct 22 - Autopsy reveals Michael Brown reached for of..
70 comments
Article inside  Titanfall teases 'biggest update' details for tomorr..
68 comments
Image inside  NBA LIVE 15 EA Access Full Game Trial Lands October 2..
56 comments
 Video inside Gay Rumor Control: Tyrese Responds To Spanky’s Gay Acc...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 119 comments - by ajeana
  Oct 21 - She Tweeted Against The Mexican Cartels. They...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 63 comments - by Turk3
 Video inside Honey Cocaine - Curveball...exposing Thirsty Men And O...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 305 comments - by blafy
 Image(s) inside Freeway Robbed For Rocafella Chain?[rumor]
New reply 15 minutes ago - 64 comments - by Carlton Black
 NBA 4thqtrkobe With 3 Consecutive Baskets In The Clutch
New reply 3 minutes ago - 93 comments - by TnTbadman
 NFL Some Seahawks Players Allegedly Don’t Think Russell Wi...
New reply 28 minutes ago - 156 comments - by st21
 Video inside T.i. At The Breakfast Club: Iggy & Snoop, Ebola, G...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 76 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Video inside Oct 21 - Man To Obama: Don't Touch My Girlfriend
New reply 41 minutes ago - 65 comments - by Carlton Black

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,796 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.