This is BX @ Boxden.com

bill simmons forced to withdraw mvp vote because he was gambling on outcome

bill simmons forced to withdraw mvp vote because he was gambling on outcome
topic by Fearless Genius - 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-...-ballot-2012-5

ESPN's Star Writer Bill Simmons Forced To Withdraw His NBA MVP Vote Because He's Also Betting On The MVP

ESPN's star writer Bill Simmons has withdrawn his vote of LeBron James as MVP of the NBA due to a conflict of interest involving a bet he made on the award, Business Insider has learned.

Before the NBA season started, Simmons said on his podcast that he made a bet on James winning the MVP award. By the end of the season, the NBA actually handed Simmons a ballot allowing him to vote on who should be MVP.

He recorded a podcast of him filling in his ballot. Not surprisingly, Simmons voted for James.

Arguably James was the best player in the league this year. But the fact that Simmons has a bet riding could have presumably influenced his decision.

Simmons rarely disclosed that he had money riding on James winning the MVP even though he regularly wrote about the MVP voting process. In an April 3rd column on who should be the MVP he didn't disclose that he had a bet riding on LeBron James. He didn't mention it in this April 20 "mailbag" column where he listed his picks for MVP, either.

As far as we can tell, Simmons had no plan to withdraw his ballot until we started asking ESPN what its policy towards betting is. ESPN said he withdrew his ballot this week. We started asking about it this week.

Here's the official company line on the matter:

"Bill had never received a ballot before and didn't find out he had one until two-thirds of the season had passed. By that time he had made multiple MVP bets, two of which he had discussed on podcasts. He ended up withdrawing his MVP vote to avoid the perception of any conflict."

We've asked the NBA for a comment on its policy towards sportswriters betting on awards, and it hasn't responded.

If this were to happen in financial journalism it would be a huge scandal. If Andrew Ross Sorkin quietly owned a pile of Apple stock and was regularly pumping the company on CNBC he would be pummeled by media critics.

ESPN doesn't force its analysts to reveal when or if they've made bets, even though it could arguably impact their thinking on a team or a game.

When asked about ESPN's gambling policy, here's what it said:

"We have employee policies with respect to gambling to protect against potential conflicts. We recognize, however, that for many sports fans, gambling is a part of sports discussion. Therefore, periodically, our commentators include references to gambling in ways that are appropriate for their role and relevant to our audience. In Bill's case, he connects with millions by sharing common interests. Gambling in sports is a part of that cultural connection and appropriately at times part of Bill's work."

Latest Sports Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

78 comments for "bill simmons forced to withdraw mvp vote because he was gambling on outcome"

05-05-2012, 02:40 PMonline - #2
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
this is why I hate lebron lovers...they jus won't admit that so many people want him to win and have been contributing to helping him win.

If lebron wins the league wins, ESPN wins and Nike wins.
 05-05-2012, 02:43 PMonline - #3
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NineFour
LeBron thread, cam the first one in

time for the di#ksuckin...u the first in line
 05-05-2012, 02:44 PMaway - #4
SeaJaiye 75 heat pts75

d 
space
$16,992 | POWERFUL
lebron is the MVP every year no matter who wins the award. this is gonna start being like jordan in the 90s where they're gonna rob him a couple years so he doesnt end up with 8+ MVP's..............
 05-05-2012, 02:59 PMaway - #5
DEDOS 97 heat pts97

d 
space
$41,715 | POWERFUL
lebron is the MVP its clear to see unless the HATE is bothering your VISION

05-05-2012, 03:01 PMonline - #6
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by p00rky
You are a funny flabby guy.

One of the greatest moments in basketball history involved Jordan pushing Russell out the way to win the Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals. A lot of ppl wanted Jordan to win. But I doubt you complained when that happened.

Many ppl think Steve Nash was gifted MVP awards. They thought Kobe should of won. At that time Nash was hot. A lot of ppl wanted him to win. Did you complain?

Why are you so angry at Lebron?

Did he take the last jelly doughnut?
what's your point? If you followed me instead of these geeks on here you would know I always say that Mike was given alot. #### doesn't change that lebron is given waaaay more than anyone else. When analysts come on tv and basically beg you to be great, #### takes away from your greatness.
 05-05-2012, 03:05 PMaway - #7
elvisfreshly 106 heat pts106

d 
space
$22,593 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cambury
this is why I hate lebron lovers...they jus won't admit that so many people want him to win and have been contributing to helping him win.

this
 05-05-2012, 03:08 PMaway - #8
Jayborne23 4 heat pts

d 
space
$3,878 | 16103324

You're calling Bill Simmons a LeBron lover?
 05-05-2012, 03:17 PMaway - #9
DEDOS 97 heat pts97

d 
space
$41,715 | POWERFUL

you ####ing idiot. bill simmons hates lebron and newflash most nba writers and media hate lebron period you fool. ever since he #### on the two biggest media cities in chicago and new york when he picked not to play for them the salt has been thrown by most writers open ur eyes fatty

rich bucher and bill simmons prob hate lebron the most u dummy of coarse skip woulld be added but did isnt even a writer anymore hes a TV personality
 05-05-2012, 03:22 PMaway - #10
Dangerously 203 heat pts203

d 
space
$43,990 | POWERFUL
Bill Simmons is a Lebron Lover?

Maybe getting banned from BX will do you some good Cam.
 05-05-2012, 03:29 PMonline - #11
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jayborne23
You're calling Bill Simmons a LeBron lover?
where did I say that? Lebron lovers equal ni##as who suck his di#k and act like he isn't getting a fair deal in the league. This article just proves to me that everyone isn't against him like ni##as say. We all know Bill Simmons and for him to say lebron was going to win and that he was going to vote says alot to you dudes who want to say "every writer in Ameria hates lebron"

Shut the #### up wit that ####
 05-05-2012, 03:31 PMaway - #12
DEDOS 97 heat pts97

d 
space
$41,715 | POWERFUL
where did I say that? Lebron lovers equal ni##as who suck his di#k and act like he isn't getting a fair deal in the league. This article just proves to me that everyone isn't against him like ni##as say. We all know Bill Simmons and for him to say lebron was going to win and that he was going to vote says alot to you dudes who want to say "every writer in Ameria hates lebron"

fatty answer this question. do you think lebron james is the MVP for this season?
 05-05-2012, 03:31 PMonline - #13
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
ni##as is ####es on here...you know when ####es jus make #### up so that they can say something...where did I say bill Simmons loves lebron hahahahaahahaha hoes a$s ni##as love him so much they mind is impaired
 05-05-2012, 03:31 PMonline - #14
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DEDOS
fatty answer this question. do you think lebron james is the MVP for this season?
first off who the #### are you
 05-05-2012, 03:39 PMaway - #15
Dangerously 203 heat pts203

d 
space
$43,990 | POWERFUL

Every writer does hate lebron, but that doesn't mean he wasn't going to win the MVP.
 05-05-2012, 03:40 PMaway - #16
Fearless Genius 64 heat pts64

d 
space
$3,818 | POWERFUL
seriously, this talking about cambury #### is getting old and i've only been on here for a couple months. people need to get some new jokes.
 05-05-2012, 03:42 PMonline - #17
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by EnlightenMe
seriously, this talking about cambury #### is getting old and i've only been on here for a couple months. people need to get some new jokes.
it really took off recently I been here for years and #### wasn't like this. The more and more they realized I wasn't like them character wise the more and more they got excited to even speak to me. It really is flattering for people to think of me as much as they do.
 05-05-2012, 03:44 PMonline - #18
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dangerously

Every writer does hate lebron, but that doesn't mean he wasn't going to win the MVP.
they dont hate him, they love to criticize him that's the difference. Lebrons fans are the dumbest supporters of all time and I sometimes it is fun poking fun at they man.
 05-05-2012, 03:50 PMonline - #19
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$22,398 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by p00rky
If you didn't get my point than it's nothing more I can do besides recommending you to read more books instead of fast food menus.

How do you base your "opinion" that "Lebron given waaaay more than anyone else"? Dumb it down for me. Because I can't calculate how you determine who gets away with more. What's your formula? Has there been any play by Lebron that overshadowed that blatant push by Jordan on Russel please let me know. Also if the league loves Lebron so much than why was that block on Melo last game ruled a foul? Was it a rogue official not following Sterns plans?

Analyst "beg you to be great"? Like they did with Iverson, Webber, Carter, and players in the past and future.
look back at the Detroit game in 07, you will notice that it never gets replayed. Do you want to know why?

lebron is the only player besides Iverson to have a team built strictly around how he plays. The difference is its been his entire career. When they realized what AI didnt didnt work for a championship they changed the scheme which kind of exposed him a bit. Because people want lebron to win so bad they won't ask him to step outside himself and do other things. dwade let lebron take like 16 GW potential shots last year and he didnt win one. What he said was I wanted to help him gain confidence...DOG do you realize how good Dwade is in those situations, he basically gave away games to help lebron. You are talking about the foul he got on Melo that's petty, lets talk about lebron having a 5 game stretch playing 30+ min pg and not getting 1 single foul.

Dude I was a fan, I know it well.
 05-05-2012, 04:02 PMonline - #20
The Bully 171 heat pts171

d 
space
$30,860 | POWERFUL
Fatbury is getting in all the lebron hate he can before doomsday tomorrow

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Xbox One Games Store New Releases 9/02/14
62 comments
Video inside  Snoop Dogg responds to Star (shots fired)
106 comments
Image inside  The real 50 cent junior celebrates his 2nd birthday
67 comments
 Video inside This Just In: Hitman Holla Was In A Bad Car Accident
New reply 9 seconds ago - 96 comments - by Guvnor
 NFL Bills Center Eric Wood Says Nfl Teams Are Avoiding Sig...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 95 comments - by theFREAK
 NFL Rgiii: "we Fixed What We Needed To Fix On Offense...
New reply 13 seconds ago - 58 comments - by rayraysray
 NFL The Atlanta Falcons Cut My Cousin #18
New reply 4 minutes ago - 51 comments - by BKLYN1889
 NBA Kobe Bryant The Greatest Offensive Player Ever?
New reply 2 minutes ago - 90 comments - by TheeMrMarvel
 Image(s) inside Saw This Sh-t On The News Today...i Went To High Schoo...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 87 comments - by bunnz17
 Video inside Kevin Gates Real Talk On The Breakfast Club: Prison Li...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 83 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Article inside Drake Signs Ilovemakonnen To Ovo
New reply 7 minutes ago - 149 comments - by PotheadFocker

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.