This is BX @ Boxden.com

Athletes with Strong Father Figures vs. Without

Athletes with Strong Father Figures vs. Without
topic by Slickems - 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

Colin Cowherd made a point I thought was sort of interesting.

Lots of athletes with great track records as proven leaders like Jordan, Jeter, Brady, Magic, etc. all had strong fathers in their lives.

On the other hand, lots of athletes that are crazy talented, but come up short in the leadership/clutch/heart factor like Lebron or AI or A-Rod or whoever didn't have fathers in their lives

Colin is often a dumbass, obviously, and no one is saying this is always the case (so don't just name some exception like that disproves the point), but it makes you think

what do you think?

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

57 comments for "Athletes with Strong Father Figures vs. Without"

06-10-2011, 10:57 AMaway - #2
MGz 532 heat pts532

d 
space
$5,336 | POWERFUL
It's possible but u would have to make a list to show a big difference, u only named a couple of people
 06-10-2011, 11:00 AMaway - #3
Slickems 6 heat pts

d 
space
$6,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mgz
It's possible but u would have to make a list to show a big difference, u only named a couple of people
Yeah but on the one hand I named like 3 of the most respected team leaders of sports right now

vs.

3 of the most athletically talented, but notorious failures in the heart/leadership department in all of sports

i dunno it makes sense to me
 06-10-2011, 12:45 PMaway - #4
tpoker 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,308 | 10686731
how can u put A.I. on that list? he took a sorry a$s team 2 the finals and lost 2 one of the greatest teams in nba history. he not even 6 foot.
 06-10-2011, 12:47 PMonline - #5
Tempus # 1 3 heat pts

d 
space
$17,390 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by tpoker
how can u put A.I. on that list? he took a sorry a$s team 2 the finals and lost 2 one of the greatest teams in nba history. he not even 6 foot.

This is not a leader. Add his inability to conform and put teams before hisself and thats why hes on the list

Last edited by Tempus # 1; 06-10-2011 at 12:49 PM..
 06-10-2011, 01:39 PMaway - #6
Slickems 6 heat pts

d 
space
$6,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Tempus # 1

This is not a leader. Add his inability to conform and put teams before hisself and thats why hes on the list
yeah exactly i don't mean to argue about him being an elite player or whatever

but come on, we're talking AI man. AI. AI. you know what i mean, AI isn't exactly known for his maturity or leadership or non-sellfishness

besides he was on Cowherd list so I just repeated this

also another thing I thought of too tho: you see how things can also backfire when that strong father figure passes, like for Tiger. So it's not simple.

But I do think it's an important issue to think about, because the question is where do you get the ability to lead from, ya dig?

And its interesting cause so often you hear about the college coaches becoming fathers to players, and Lebron never had that, so he never got that discipline* instilled in him.

*And by saying Lebron isn't disciplined I don't mean he doesn't work hard, of course not, but he works hard under HIS terms. Discipline means working hard on things you DONT want to do. Lebron has never shown any ability to work on anything that he already doesn't want to do, hence 7 years in the league and never learning a post move. (Also why I don't respect Rose, he gets praised for practicing ball so hard all his life, but he likes balling, he would have proved his toughness to me if he cracked an SAT book)
 06-10-2011, 01:43 PMaway - #7
ClevelandRay 

d 
space
$2,390 | 6031537
because of his attitude/actions
 06-10-2011, 01:44 PMaway - #8
illmatix 9 heat pts

d 
space
$3,530 | 18561461
seems like a pretty good point on the surface...

cowherd is still an idiot tho
 06-10-2011, 01:45 PMaway - #9
Slickems 6 heat pts

d 
space
$6,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by illmatix
seems like a pretty good point on the surface...

agreed, i shoudlnt have even mentioned it was him, since i knew it would throw people off, but i didnt want to take credit for his ####, and i'm not sure i believe it myself yet
 06-10-2011, 01:46 PMonline - #10
Cambury 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$23,257 | POWERFUL
maybe AI can be your daddy
 06-10-2011, 01:52 PMaway - #11
dionedre3000 

d 
space
$7,743 | POWERFUL
It does make you think but I think to make the argument lets more informational it would have to go deeper than just the few names you mentioned. Why I say that is because there are guys like Jason Terry and Ray Allen who don't fit the mold who are stand up guys with a long career. But I mean there is always guys like that. It speaks volumes though with the names you mentioned. Something like this should make young athletes think father or not.
 06-10-2011, 01:54 PMaway - #12
Braz 80 heat pts80

d 
space
$15,346 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Slickems
Colin is often a dumbass, obviously
Since when is Colin a dumbass? Pretty sure he's one of the more knowledgable hosts in sports media today.
 06-10-2011, 01:56 PMaway - #13
ggfresh 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$2,573 | 10564053
Derek Rose will break this example but D.Rose his brothers are like his father figures good thing he was the youngest
 06-10-2011, 01:56 PMaway - #14
Rendition 35 heat pts35

d 
space
$10,620 | POWERFUL
it would make sense.
 06-10-2011, 01:56 PMaway - #15
Slickems 6 heat pts

d 
space
$6,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dionedre3000
It does make you think but I think to make the argument lets more informational it would have to go deeper than just the few names you mentioned. Why I say that is because there are guys like Jason Terry and Ray Allen who don't fit the mold who are stand up guys with a long career. But I mean there is always guys like that. It speaks volumes though with the names you mentioned. Something like this should make young athletes think father or not.
oh yeah, definitely

and i think his point was that it really becomes clear when you're talking about *one a generation* type talent. There's where it makes the difference.

Even at the all-star level, it probably wouldn't hold up, but I think he's thinking in terms of GOAT discussion caliber players.

another interesting thing would be to look at expected GOAT caliber players that never lived up to the hype, or self-destructed, I wonder what their family status was like?
 06-10-2011, 01:57 PMaway - #16
Slickems 6 heat pts

d 
space
$6,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by brazidee
Since when is Colin a dumbass? Pretty sure he's one of the more knowledgable hosts in sports media today.
ok, maybe you're right. i just feel like he says stupid #### for shock value sometimes, but i guess they all do that. point taken
 06-10-2011, 01:58 PMaway - #17
Slickems 6 heat pts

d 
space
$6,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ggfresh
Derek Rose will break this example but D.Rose his brothers are like his father figures good thing he was the youngest
that will be a good test case

to see whether he can develop into a leader as he grows older, rather than just an individual phenom
 06-10-2011, 02:00 PMaway - #18
Imagin3 3 heat pts

d 
space
$6,846 | POWERFUL
lol whenever u not trollin #### just be comin out of left field to me
i read the thread and dont laugh and im like

but word ive thought about this and i think it has some credence
 06-10-2011, 02:01 PMaway - #19
Braz 80 heat pts80

d 
space
$15,346 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by illmatix
Please explain
 06-10-2011, 02:02 PMaway - #20
Slickems 6 heat pts

d 
space
$6,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Imagin3
lol whenever u not trollin #### just be comin out of left field to me
i read the thread and dont laugh and im like

but word ive thought about this and i think it has some credence
everytime i try to do a serious thread it's like "The Troll who cried Wolf"

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Apple Pay is double charging customers
72 comments
Image inside  Oct 22 - Female Gym Teacher Caught Sleeping With Youn..
65 comments
Image inside  Oct 21 - FBI Whistleblower: “U.S Is Reviving Terror S..
65 comments
 Video inside T.i. At The Breakfast Club: Iggy & Snoop, Ebola, G...
New reply 17 seconds ago - 86 comments - by BreakfastClub
 NFL Some Seahawks Players Allegedly Don’t Think Russell Wi...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 189 comments - by st21
 Image(s) inside Oct 22 - Autopsy Reveals Michael Brown Reached For Off...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 254 comments - by theFREAK
 NBA Kevin Love Already Getting Used To His 3rd Option Stat...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 66 comments - by The Bully
 Image(s) inside 50 Cent Speaks On Eminem And Jay-z (:truth:)
New reply 3 minutes ago - 223 comments - by BasedonMars
 Article inside Titanfall Teases 'biggest Update' Details For Tomorrow...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 74 comments - by BunsBundy
 Image(s) inside Missing Sphinx Head Found In Ancient Greek Tomb
New reply 5 minutes ago - 68 comments - by Sniggit
 Video inside Gay Rumor Control: Tyrese Responds To Spanky’s Gay Acc...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 152 comments - by ajeana

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,793 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.