This is BX @ Boxden.com

Anderson Silva wants to f!ght Roy Jones Jr., not Jon Jones

Anderson Silva wants to f!ght Roy Jones Jr., not Jon Jones
topic by thehammer - 05-31-2013, 09:47 AM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

> Anderson Silva wants to fight Roy Jones Jr., not Jon Jones - Photo posted in BX SportsCenter | Sign in and leave a comment below!
For a period of time there were concerns that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva wanted to take time off from mixed martial arts and pursue a boxing match with Roy Jones Jr. That bit of nonsense eventually died down, Silva signed a new UFC deal and it appeared to have been forgotten.

Except that Silva is bringing up wanting to f!ght Jones again, stating that he's more interested in that then a superf!ght with Jon Jones:

"I think everyone’s got something they’re focused on and that’s my own desire, something I’d like to do," Silva said through a translator. "Maybe one day when I’m done my UFC career I will box Roy Jones."

Silva said he’d be interested in taking on Jones Jr. twice – once in a bout with MMA rules and another in a boxing ring. He said he knows Jones Jr. and calls him "a great champion."

When the potential crossover matchup was first proposed back in 2009, Jones Jr. was coming off a win over Jeff Lacy in a WBO NABO light heavyweight title bout. Now, Jones Jr. is 44 years old and has lost three of his past five f!ghts. He’s well past his prime.

"Past his prime" is some generous phrasing.

I've been a huge fan of Roy since I was a kid, he's a large part of cementing me as a massive combat sports fan. But he is shot. In 2009 I'd have still said that Jones would have boxed circles around Silva -- something I stand by -- but at this point Jones has nothing left.

Jones' official losses haven't come to bad competition, but his recent two f!ght win streak came over Max Alexander -- who was on a 0-5-1 run coming into the f!ght -- and a controversial split decision over Pawel Glazewski -- who probably should have won the f!ght.

I get that it's something Silva has thought about for a long time, but he'd be well served to just drop it as it's simply a sad idea at this point.

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

27 comments for "Anderson Silva wants to f!ght Roy Jones Jr., not Jon Jones"

05-31-2013, 09:48 AMaway - #2
all3rd 347 heat pts347

d 
space
$45,259 | POWERFUL
 05-31-2013, 09:51 AMaway - #3
LowaEastSide5 123 heat pts123

d 
space
$21,013 | POWERFUL
 05-31-2013, 09:55 AMaway - #4
curlyd 44 heat pts44

d 
space
$18,633 | POWERFUL
 05-31-2013, 10:39 AMaway - #5
Dee352 163 heat pts163

d 
space
$9,413 | POWERFUL
 05-31-2013, 11:04 AMaway - #6
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$24,860 | POWERFUL
Seriously Spider?

It would have been nice to see Roy in his prime knockout the best boxer in MMA in 3 rounds though.
 05-31-2013, 11:10 AMaway - #7
ReppinDaBurghh 51 heat pts51

d 
space
$41,471 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Y.G.
Seriously Spider?

It would have been nice to see Roy in his prime knockout the best boxer in MMA in 3 rounds though.
Honestly, he would probably knock him out in one round. I sincerely doubt Silva could last 3 rounds.

Having said that, Silva would destroy Jones in 1 round in MMA as well.

So it's a stupid argument.
 05-31-2013, 11:11 AMaway - #8
IceMan 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$3,375 | 20873950
 05-31-2013, 12:11 PMaway - #9
Cheeze 483 heat pts483

d 
space
$30,531 | POWERFUL
Talk about a misleading thread title

the hate
 05-31-2013, 12:15 PMaway - #10
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$24,860 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ReppinDaBurghh
Honestly, he would probably knock him out in one round. I sincerely doubt Silva could last 3 rounds.

Having said that, Silva would destroy Jones in 1 round in MMA as well.

So it's a stupid argument.
He probably would end the f!ght in the 1st. I was just trying to give Spider some credit.
 05-31-2013, 12:24 PMaway - #11
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$24,860 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cheeze
Talk about a misleading thread title

the hate
What's misleading about the thread title breh? Anderson still wants to f!ght Roy.
 05-31-2013, 12:27 PMaway - #12
Cheeze 483 heat pts483

d 
space
$30,531 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Y.G.
What's misleading about the thread title breh? Anderson still wants to f!ght Roy.
Making it sound like he wants to f!ght ONLY Roy Jones Jr. and never wants to f!ght Jon Jones even though it says in the article "after my UFC career is over" he'd f!ght Roy.
 05-31-2013, 12:43 PMaway - #13
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$24,860 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cheeze
Making it sound like he wants to f!ght ONLY Roy Jones Jr. and never wants to f!ght Jon Jones even though it says in the article "after my UFC career is over" he'd f!ght Roy.
Oh okay, got you.
 05-31-2013, 02:13 PMonline - #14
Yung Dilla 1208 heat pts1208

d 
space
$41,540 | POWERFUL
lol misleading title and most of you ni##as read only the title and commented.
 05-31-2013, 02:41 PMaway - #15
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$24,860 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Yung Dilla
lol misleading title and most of you ni##as read only the title and commented.
Most people are commenting on the fact that he still wants to f!ght 44-year old Roy Jones Jr.
 05-31-2013, 03:33 PMaway - #16
elferoz 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$967 | 10129554
roy would probably still beat silva in a boxing match.
 05-31-2013, 04:23 PMaway - #17
dblockallday 

d 
space
$5,617 | POWERFUL
people always over rate guys just because they're pro boxers. even back in 09 when roy wasn't completely done it would have been a decent match. silva probably would have lost a decision but could have caught roy and knocked him out.

do people not realize how much bigger and stronger anderson is? or the fact he has a far superior chin and arguably more punching power? even back then i recall roy in most of his f!ghts would just hang on the ropes and block the whole time looking for counters. his foot and hand speed was long gone.

it's like an inferiority complex that boxing fans have thinking there is a huge gap between the best boxers in mma and over the hill boxers. we're not talking about a prime boxing champion taking on a decent mma striker, we're talking arguably the best striker mma has ever seen going against a washed up boxer with a suspect chin (even back in 09 when this was first brought up roy was washed up already)

i don't have a problem with people thinking roy would have won, but saying nonsense about him finishing silva in 1 round? you can't be serious with that.
 05-31-2013, 04:38 PMaway - #18
DrX 56 heat pts56

d 
space
$34,926 | POWERFUL
man if roy lost that, that would tint his legacy
 05-31-2013, 06:03 PMaway - #19
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$24,860 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dblockallday
people always over rate guys just because they're pro boxers. even back in 09 when roy wasn't completely done it would have been a decent match. silva probably would have lost a decision but could have caught roy and knocked him out.

do people not realize how much bigger and stronger anderson is? or the fact he has a far superior chin and arguably more punching power? even back then i recall roy in most of his f!ghts would just hang on the ropes and block the whole time looking for counters. his foot and hand speed was long gone.

it's like an inferiority complex that boxing fans have thinking there is a huge gap between the best boxers in mma and over the hill boxers. we're not talking about a prime boxing champion taking on a decent mma striker, we're talking arguably the best striker mma has ever seen going against a washed up boxer with a suspect chin (even back in 09 when this was first brought up roy was washed up already)

i don't have a problem with people thinking roy would have won, but saying nonsense about him finishing silva in 1 round? you can't be serious with that.
Spider has more punching power than Roy Jones Jr.?

Roy (arguably one of the greatest f!ghters of all time) couldn't stop Spider in the 1st? The same Spider that isn't a professional boxer? Right.
 05-31-2013, 09:39 PMaway - #20
PhantomRaviolis 

d 
space
$130 | 680542
Im actually having trouble deciding who would win this f!ght.

Would watch

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Sep 1 - Thirteen-Year-Old Boy Tried as Adult Because of Penis S..
51 comments
How much $ and what games have u bought on ur Next Gen Console?
54 comments
PC: Star Citizen Arena Commander Demo (FREE DOWNLOAD 1 WEEK ONLY)
51 comments
 NBA Only One Player Can Say They Played With Jordan And Le...
New reply 37 seconds ago - 59 comments - by shortymac187
 NBA Lakers Could Trade Julius Randle For Rajon Rondo
New reply 4 minutes ago - 64 comments - by italiansteve
 NFL Rams Will Not Add Michael Sam To Practice Squad
New reply 1 minute ago - 82 comments - by theFREAK
 Article inside Floyd Mayweather Sr: 50 Cent Should Fight My Son, That...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 243 comments - by yo0123yo
 Image(s) inside The Real 50 Cent Junior Celebrates His 2nd Birthday
New reply 4 minutes ago - 58 comments - by Mutant Boy
 NFL No Bias: Cam, Kaep Or Rivers?
New reply 11 minutes ago - 77 comments - by b_eazy
 Video inside This Just In: Hitman Holla Was In A Bad Car Accident
New reply 4 minutes ago - 85 comments - by Guvnor
  Whats The Worst Movie You've Ever Watched?
New reply 12 minutes ago - 161 comments - by DominationCM

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.