This is BX @ Boxden.com

Adrian Peterson says he and Patrick Willis should've been drafted 1 and 2 in 2007 draft

Adrian Peterson says he and Patrick Willis should've been drafted 1 and 2 in 2007 draft
topic by Kjizzle03 - 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

Adrian Peterson remembers the play in vivid detail.

It was an inside zone run to the left side of the offensive line and he was trying to make a cut in traffic. All the sudden he was smacked by Patrick Willis and he went down to the ground. By the way, it was Week 2 of the preseason.

“He got me on that one,” Peterson said. “He got me.”

Minnesota’s talented tailback and San Francisco’s hard-hitting linebacker have forged a relationship over the years since being selected in the 2007 NFL Draft. Peterson was taken seventh overall by the Vikings and Willis was picked 10th overall by the 49ers, but Peterson thinks they both should have been drafted earlier.

“I don’t know why me and him weren’t the No. 1 and No. 2 picks coming out,” Peterson said. “I really felt that way, because I know talent when I see it. He was a guy that I just respected off the top because of how he plays the game. We play the game the same way.”

Asked who he thought deserved to be the first pick, Peterson said, “Come on now, you going to ask that question?”

Willis right?

“No,” Peterson said with a laugh.

As it was, Jamarcus Russell and Calvin Johnson were the top two picks of the 2007 Draft.
Peterson has made a remarkable comeback since tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in Week 16 of last season. He’s carried the ball 33 times for 144 yards and a touchdown through the first two games and said he expects to receive a heavier workload against the 49ers.

“To his credit, he worked extremely hard,” Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. “Amazingly, he makes it back for our opening game and he comes out and he plays extremely well. But to sit here and tell you that I expected him to make it back and play as well as he played in that first game, I’d be lying. That was amazing to me, it still is. He’s doing well.”

According to Peterson, the Vikings will be facing a “heck of a defense” on Sunday at the Metrodome. Aside from Willis, Peterson and Frazier both mentioned Aldon and Justin Smith as notable contributors to the 49ers defense.

But that doesn’t mean the Vikings are going to abandon their run-first gameplan.

“If you follow us, you know that we’re going to try to est@blish the run and we’re not going to get away from that,” Frazier said. “Although, San Francisco, they play the run as well as anybody in our league. But we feel good about Adrian, about Toby Gerhart, about our offensive line.”

The Vikings coach isn’t only impressed with the 49ers defense. Frazier also credited the offense and special teams for taking part in the convincing victories over his team’s NFC North rivals, the Packers and Lions, to start the season.

“We have a lot of respect for both of those teams that they beat, Green Bay and Detroit,” Frazier said. “They took it to both of them. It tells me that San Francisco is a very good football team.”

Looking at tape of this year’s 49ers offense compared to last year’s unit, Frazier said the added talent at wide receiver jumps out. Adding Mario Manningham and Randy Moss to a group that already included Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree “creates a lot of problems for defenses” in Frazier’s mind.
Not to mention the 49ers are led by Alex Smith, whose 115.9 passer rating only trails Matt Ryan’s mark of 117.6 through two games played.

“The way Alex is playing, he’s so efficient with the football, he knows exactly where to go,” Frazier said. “He has the capability as well so that creates a lot of problems for any defense that lines up to play them. We’ll have our hands full defending the run game and not giving up big plays in the passing game.”
Peterson, meanwhile, has been following his counterpart Frank Gore’s career since his college days at Miami. Peterson said he’s always appreciated Gore’s North-South running style and the way he’s handled adversity, having overcome a serious knee injury while in college.

“That right there, just looking at that, that’s inspiring itself,” Peterson said.

> Adrian Peterson says he and Patrick Willis should've been drafted 1 and 2 in 2007 draft - Photo posted in BX SportsCenter | Sign in and leave a comment below!...agree or disagree

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

67 comments for "Adrian Peterson says he and Patrick Willis should've been drafted 1 and 2 in 2007 draft"

09-19-2012, 03:33 PMaway - #2
DEDOS 99 heat pts99

d 
space
$42,567 | POWERFUL
my fins took teddy ginn over patrick willis

09-19-2012, 03:34 PMaway - #3
banga 3 heat pts

d 
space
$26,769 | POWERFUL
I agree and I'm sure megatincan agrees too.
 09-19-2012, 03:36 PMaway - #4
BronxBombers 165 heat pts165

d 
space
$32,673 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DEDOS

Thanks Again For Ginn
 09-19-2012, 03:36 PMaway - #5
torious 51 heat pts51

d 
space
$61,485 | POWERFUL
It's a passing league. drafting megatron was the right move. calvin doesn't fumble the ball, nor is he injury prone

Last edited by torious; 09-19-2012 at 03:48 PM..
 09-19-2012, 03:37 PMaway - #6
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$26,692 | POWERFUL
if we are talking hindsight here then neither of them should go over calvin johnson...shieeet i'm still debating if they should of went over joe thomas...left tackles are hard to find..trust me i know
 09-19-2012, 03:37 PMaway - #7
ghettofire 3 heat pts

d 
space
$24,251 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DEDOS

Originally Posted by torious
It's a passing league. drafting megatron was the right move. calvin isn't injury prone either

09-19-2012, 03:39 PMaway - #8
INFAMOUS 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$30,347 | POWERFUL
Fins took Ted Ginn over Patrick Willis

Jets traded up for Revis Christ

Ted Ginn over Willis and Revis
 09-19-2012, 03:40 PMaway - #9
Kjizzle03 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$14,591 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Pistol Peter
if we are talking hindsight here then neither of them should go over calvin johnson...shieeet i'm still debating if they should of went over joe thomas...left tackles are hard to find..trust me i know
 09-19-2012, 03:42 PMaway - #10
Michael 1987 638 heat pts638

d 
space
$60,219 | POWERFUL
 09-19-2012, 03:43 PMaway - #11
philly337 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$21,477 | POWERFUL
Best rb in the league
 09-19-2012, 03:43 PMaway - #12
dre03 

d 
space
$7,886 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Bronxb0mbers
Thanks Again For Ginn
What has he done for yall??? ni##a been hurt for forever... Ultimately he cost yall the SB last year with his injury lol
 09-19-2012, 03:43 PMaway - #13
torious 51 heat pts51

d 
space
$61,485 | POWERFUL
if we are talking hindsight here then neither of them should go over calvin johnson...
 09-19-2012, 03:44 PMaway - #14
ChickzNKickz 90 heat pts90

d 
space
$7,807 | POWERFUL
CJ is great but a WR is only as good as his QB...

A great RB will shine Regardless.....

See # 20
 09-19-2012, 03:46 PMaway - #15
dre03 

d 
space
$7,886 | POWERFUL
Well seeing how they are #1 at their positions he may be right... But Calvin Johnson was #2 so i would say Willis at #3 over Joe Thomas
 09-19-2012, 03:48 PMaway - #16
TheT 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$13,625 | POWERFUL
 09-19-2012, 03:52 PMaway - #17
Bea5T 91 heat pts91

d 
space
$17,741 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dre03
What has he done for yall??? ni##a been hurt for forever... Ultimately he cost yall the SB last year with his injury lol
he was the most consistent returner in the league last season, check his averages
 09-19-2012, 03:58 PMaway - #18
Kingpin 313 64 heat pts64

d 
space
$13,824 | POWERFUL
07 was a good draft besides the number 1 pick
 09-19-2012, 04:00 PMaway - #19
dahabi 79 heat pts79

d 
space
$9,335 | POWERFUL
 09-19-2012, 04:09 PMaway - #20
X_WunderKind_X 852 heat pts852

d 
space
$25,564 | POWERFUL
CJ, Willis And AP are all game changing talents. Lions did the right thing tho, they got him a QB that could get him the ball.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 23 - Ebola in NYC
58 comments
Image inside  white girl got azz!!!!!!
65 comments
Image inside  Klay Thompson Still Winning Yoooooooooooooooooo!
132 comments
 NBA Kendrick Lamar, Kevin Hart Highlight Cleveland Cavalie...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 90 comments - by metatr0n
 Video inside Video Of The Interview That Set Off The 50/cam Beef (c...
New reply 29 minutes ago - 53 comments - by EZ Green
  Is There Any Rapper That Never "fell Off"?
New reply 12 minutes ago - 129 comments - by JewsusChrist
 NBA Jeanie Buss: ‘any Free Agent That Would Be Afraid To P...
New reply 46 minutes ago - 74 comments - by T.O.N.Y.
 Image(s) inside After All These Halloweens, I Never Knew (mind Blown)
New reply 24 minutes ago - 67 comments - by italiansteve
 Image(s) inside Oct 22 - Autopsy Reveals Michael Brown Reached For Off...
New reply 48 minutes ago - 359 comments - by theFREAK
 NCAAF Notre Dame Freshman Wr Justin Brent Dating Legendary F...
New reply 26 minutes ago - 132 comments - by theFREAK
 Video inside Jay Z First Interview After Ether W Angie Martinez (yo...
New reply 1 hour ago - 80 comments - by EZ Green

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,797 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.