Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

6.19.21 Football Thread

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
139 viewing
 Video inside WWE womans move seems fine from TV angle but gruesome from crowd's pers..
82 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
116 viewing
 Video inside Nina Hartley on 2pac "That man could have been a professional if you kn..
91 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
96 viewing
 The new Verizon rate plans
34 comments
@tech
most viewed right now
84 viewing
 Image inside Minister Creflo Dollar Now Wants $114MM For Luxury Yacht :deadpg:
87 comments
@wild'ish
people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)

let em know Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 6.19.21 Football Thread
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #681
Manofwar9146  space
Abomination of Desolation
space
$8,155 | 15242396
FSU Monday practice/scrimmage quick hitters

- Defensive end DeMarcus Walker is still not cleared to practice.

- Cornerback Keelin Smith not participating today. Dressed but no shoulder pads.

- Defensive tackle Derrick Mitchell is dressed and in shoulder pads.

- Defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan appears to be absent.

- With Jernigan absent, Nile Lawrence-Stample was working with the first team beside Eddie Goldman.

- Running back Devonta Freeman is still out.

- It appears wide receiver Marvin Bracy is still absent.

- Former defensive tackle Anthony 'Amp' McCloud in attendance and watching.

- FSU commitments Kain Daub and Blake McClain from Jacksonville (Fla.) Sandalwood were in attendance. They were accompanied by their coach and another teammate.

- Tallahassee (Fla.) Rickards athlete Vosean Crumbie was another prospect present at practice today.

We'll have more this evening once things conclude.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #682
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
McDaniel healthy and hungry

The ankle injury was awful. Jacobbi McDaniel knew it at the time and it was a challenge for him every step of the way through what was essentially 16 months of rehabilitation.

Jacobbi McDaniel is in the mix for playing time after fracturing his ankle in October, 2011.

It could have been far worse. When talking about the ankle, the senior defensive tackle was asked if he had seen the play or the film of the injury. And then he drew a comparison to Louisville guard Kevin Ware. For McDaniel, Ware’s injury was too much to watch.

But McDaniel knew he could have suffered something very similar.

“The bone wasn’t sticking out; I had my ankles taped up pretty good,” McDaniel said. “They say if I didn’t

have on any tape, it probably would have popped out. It was a good thing that I had tape on that day.”

Nearly 18 months after he dislocated the right ankle at Duke on October 15, 2011, McDaniel is enjoying spring practice. He is happy to be practicing – without pain – for the first time these past few months.

“I’ve been out so long,” McDaniel said. “I felt wonderful. Having a second chance at something that I love, to compete with my teammates once again. To become relevant once again. Once the spring game comes, I’m just going to go out there and play. Have fun.”

For too long, McDaniel wasn’t having any fun on the field. Or in his daily life. McDaniel was moving around on a “scooter,” pushing himself forward around campus, around the athletic center, anywhere he needed to go. For eight months, he couldn’t put pressure on the right foot. So his knee was often resting on the cushion, while he pushed himself everywhere.

Even as he attempted to get to his apartment. Which was on the second floor. Yes, even going up the stairs to relax on the sofa or go to sleep was a challenge.

McDaniel tried to come back in August, taking part in practice one day but then having to sit out the next. The ankle wouldn’t let him go consecutive days.

Jacobbi McDaniel runs through one of FSU's recent Fourth Quarter Drills.

“Last season I wasn’t ready,” said McDaniel, who took a redshirt in 2012. “I tried and tried.”

McDaniel said he always had the support of teammates and defensive tackles coach Odell Haggins. They tried to keep his mind off the injury, but often it was just engrained in his daily existence.

His friend from their Madison County days, tailback Chris Thompson was of course a daily inspiration for McDaniel. They were able to bond over the injuries and help each other through their rehabs.

“You never saw him with his head down,” McDaniel said.

But it was hard for McDaniel to be as positive. While the rehabilitation was challenging, McDaniel was frustrated that he missed the little things. Like practice.

“When everybody else is at practice, you’re doing rehab by yourself,” McDaniel said. “That’s an everyday thing. Sometimes you can get real down. But it’s mind over matter. I knew what I had to do. … Football is my life. If I couldn’t play football no more it would be a real depressing moment.”

McDaniel is now back for his final season at Florida State. Who knows where he will fall on the depth chart this fall, especially with talented players like Timmy Jernigan, Eddie Goldman, Derrick Mitchell and Nile Lawrence-Stample, along with experienced veterans like Demonte McAllister (who is out this spring).

And McDaniel is in the mix for playing time.

“I saw the first couple of days he was real tentative, but you see him each day getting better and better,” FSU coach Jimbo Fisher said.

McDaniel has 33 games of college football experience. And 65 career tackles. The most important number to him is one – that he at least has one season left to prove to himself, his team and fans what he can do.

The good thing about defensive tackle is the rotation. Haggins will substitute tackles frequently to keep them fresh. And in reality, McDaniel will see plenty of time on the field if he is one of the top four tackles.

To McDaniel, whether he starts or comes off the bench doesn’t matter. Just the fact that he is able to practice this spring and that he can look forward to playing Saturdays this fall is plenty.

“I’m just ready to play football,” McDaniel said. “Every day I’ve been going to spring practice happy. I don’t care 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s. It don’t matter to me.”
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #683
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
FSU not going to stop recruiting Gibbons

After today's announcement ceremony I spoke to Reilly Gibbons father for about 15 minutes. One of the things he told me was that Trickett sent Reilly a message this morning on Facebook saying that FSU was not going to stop recruiting him. Reilly showed it to his father in the morning and they both liked that Trickett was still competing, they said that's what they'd expect from him.

His father said that they put a lot of stock into the track record of the OL coaches and he thought Art Kehoe and Rick Trickett were two of the best they encountered throughout the process. He said the two are very similar and he wasn't surprised that Trickett isn't giving up on Reilly.

Interesting you ask that. One of the things his dad said was that when Reilly started falling in love with Miami he took the time, on his own, to go and read every letter Donna Shalala sent to the NCAA and he felt that she had the football programs back.

I don't know what it will take to get him off of his commitment to UM. It wasn't something we discussed moments after he announced. As you can imagine, they were very excited and relieved to have this behind them.

I don't think the sanctions will be bad.

That being said, there are ten months till Signing Day and he'll have plenty of time to think it over before he puts pen to paper.

Gibbens commits to Miami
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #684
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Notre Dame coming to Tallahassee in 2014

Jeff Cameron of ESPN Radio mentioned during his show today that he has heard Notre Dame is going to be playing in Tallahassee in 2014. The 2014 home schedule is shaping up to be a real good ticket.

fu*k NOTRE DAME
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #685
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
FSU showing a lot of interest in four-star wide receiver

Virginia Beach (Va.) Bishop Sullivan Catholic four-star wide receiver Jamil Kamara admits that another school in Florida, Florida State, has been coming after him pretty hard over the past few months and his interest in the Seminoles picked up once defensive line coach Odell Haggins stopped by his school.

"Coach Haggins stopped by the school and talked to us for a bit," Kamara said. "He seemed really cool. They've been showing more interest in me than the other schools that haven't offered yet. That would probably be my 5th official if they decide to offer. That would be a pretty big one for me."

More here:
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #686
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Another recruit that was at practice today

Tallahassee (Fla.) Rickards athlete Vosean Crumbie was another prospect present at practice today. Crumbie is a bigger basketball prospect than football entering his senior year, but he is intriguing in football.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #687
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Andrew Beck to announce

Per Jamie Newberg
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #688
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Ray Raulerson

FISH:

This is the type of kid that FSU needs to take. You take him or the kid from Bartram Trail. After that you take Martinez, Wynn and McBride. You now have four lineman committed and can go after the bigger fish at that time. If you are going to take 6-7 this year.....the 5-6-7 players in the class are like this kid....Get 1-2 out of the way now.

Chris Nee:

He visited for a junior day in February. FSU would like him to camp. Bit of a tweener with regards to height/size for offensive tackle or offensive guard.

Josh Newberg:

I don't see him as an upper-tier BCS guy. I would be surprised if FSU pursued him. Raulerson is definitely a guy that will have to camp if he wants an offer.

I totally disagree. Raulerson is about 6-3, 275. Shaped like a pear. Very little upper body, narrow shoulders and wide hips. He was ravaged by McBride at a recent combine when McBride switched to DL.

I think Raulerson is a D1 guy, but not at any of the big 3 schools in the state. He'd be a major project at FSU.

Raulerson is nowhere near McBride, Wynn or Martinez

FISH:

Josh, problem is this is the type of kid FSU will be reaching for in Jan.....They need 6-7 and I have no problem taking a couple of reaches at this point. Hopefully for their sake the kid from Mississippi pulls the trigger. FSU needs more than talent....they need bodies....

Josh:

I haven't seen Harrell play in person. I've seen Raulerson multiple times.

I can't see how FSU could offer a kid like Raulerson without having him in camp...or at least seeing him in the spring. Harrell also measures in significantly bigger than Raulerson.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #689
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
**Noles offer 2015 OL

Just confirmed FSU has offered 2015 offensive tackle Zack Bailey of Summerville, SC (Summerville) in the past few days.

Big-time prospect.

Was told he plans to attend the FSU spring game this weekend.

I will be meeting with Zack in person Tuesday afternoon, and will have a story for you all after that.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #690
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Pre-Spring Top 5: Running backs

We're less than a month away from the start of the Evaluation Period (April 15 through May 31, 2013). This is the time of year when the Florida State coaches get out on the road and watch their recruiting targets in-person.

Florida State likes ATH T.J. Harrell on the offensive side of the ball.

In this series, Noles247.com will examine the top five targets at each position heading into the evaluation period.

We continue the series with running backs.

Running Backs

Florida State will likely head into the spring evaluation period without a running back commit. Only six weeks ago the 'Noles had two backs on the commit list - Kamryn Pettway and Joseph Yearby - Pettway flipped to Auburn and Yearby to Miami.

Now the Florida State staff is back to square one.

Jimbo Fisher is looking for all-purpose backs with size, ideally in the 5-foot-10 to 6-foot-1 range and anywhere between 200 and 220-pounds. We also expect FSU to sign one fullback in 2014.

This is going to be a crazy year for running back recruiting. Because of all the early commitments taking place around the country, expect a "second season" of recruiting to emerge after these recruits finish their senior year. Some running backs have already made two decisions and we don't expect that trend to stop. That being said, Noles247.com takes a look at FSU's pre-spring running back targets:

Top 5 Targets

1) T.J. Harrell - This multi-position athlete is being recruited by Florida State as a running back. He has offers from FSU, Louisville, Georgia, West Virginia and Cincinnati to name a few. He and teammate Corey Martinez visited FSU last week and there it is highly likely he could be the next back to commit to the 'Noles.

2) Nick Chubb - The 5-foot-11, 215-pound back has a long-standing relationship with Florida State running back coach Jay Graham, dating back to Graham's days at Tennessee. Chubb currently favors Auburn and Georgia, but we expect FSU to stay on him regardless of where he commits. The 'Noles will likely get Chubb on campus this summer.

3) Daniel Gresham - The Lone Star State power back is committed to Texas, but has maintained regular contact with FSU a.ssistants Tim Brewster and Jay Graham throughout the winter and into the spring. Noles247.com has also learned that a visit is being worked out for late April. If the visit does indeed take place, it means the 'Noles have a legit shot at flipping Gresham.

4) Darrell Scott - The 5-foot-11, 175-pound Scott recently said Florida State ranks just behind South Carolina for his services. As mentioned, the Gamecocks lead, but FSU is hoping to get Scott on campus this summer. Scott does not plan to make a final decision until after his senior year.

5) Mikel Horton - Florida State plans to take a fullback in the 2014 class and the 6-foot-1, 220-pound Horton is at the top of the board for that position. Horton made a visit to FSU last week and came away impressed. He bonded with Jay Graham and told Noles247.com that he nearly committed. A decision will come at the end of April and FSU sits in the driver seat for now.

Josh Newberg:

Any running backs not in our Pre-Spring Top 5 are considered long shots with FSU having little shot at.

That could change after the spring, but this is how we see things as of now.

Chris Nee:

Are we not recruiting Leonard Fournette anymore. Kid is a monster with the ball in his hands.

LSU and Alabama are battling that one out. Others are on the outside, quite outside, and that includes FSU.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #691
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Sony is heading to Georgia....Cook commits to Florida....Yearby to Miami....my n*ggaz we fuk on rb recruiting so far....even tho it's a long way to NSD....if Jimbo had of not let his a.ssistants leave...shiiiit we would've had Yearby and Sony committed...that's a fact too.....
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #692
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Another offered linebacker coming off the board

Top247 linebacker Otaro Alaka is expected to announce tonight. I expect the four-star prospect to select Texas. FSU was among his offers.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #693
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Holmes in the U.S. Army Bowl

Norfolk (Va.) Lake Taylor defensive end Jalyn Holmes has committed to play in the 2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

"I have accepted the invitation to play in the 2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl," said Holmes. "I'm really excited for the opportunity to play in what I considered the most prestigious of the All-American games."

The four-star defender said along with the prestige of the game, he was immediately impressed by the community outreach that the participants of the bowl take part in during the bowl week.

[Link: Growing rosters for 2014 Army Bowl]

"I'm big on giving back. I was on the website for the bowl and the community service aspect of being an U.S. Army All-American really did it for me, along with being a part of that fraternity of players that have played previously.

"I know two of the players that played in the game. Eli Harold and Taquan Mizzell both played in the game."

On Saturday, Virginia Beach (Va.) Bishop Sullivan wide receiver Jamil Kamara committed to play in the game as well.

Holmes and Kamara have long talked about being U.S. Army All-Americans, if given the opportunity.

"Jamil and I have always talked about it. We would always joke that if we don't go to the same school, we definitely need to play in the same All-American game.

"That's a reality now and it's the game we always talked about."

The 6-foot-5, 225-pounder holds offers from Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Maryland, North Carolina, USC, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Alabama, East Carolina, Illinois, Miami, N.C. State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Old Dominion, Ole Miss, Penn State, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt.

At this point, no favorites have emerged for his services.

"I'm open to all of the schools on my list. If they're showing interest in me, I'm looking into them."

In terms of visits, Holmes plans to visit Tennessee in the next two weeks.

"I have visit set to Tennessee on April 20th. Over the summer, my plan is to definitely visit both Florida State and Florida."

Don't expect a college decision from Holmes soon.

"I'm going to take my time with the recruiting process. My plan is to take my official visits before making my college decision."

247Sports ranks Holmes as the No. 45 player in the nation.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #694
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
St. Petersburg Catholic OT Reilly Gibbons to announce Monday (SUNDAY)

I've been informed by his father that OT Reilly Gibbons will be announcing his college choice tomorrow. I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but I believe it will be Miami.

Spoke to Gibbons.

He said that he chose the school based on the best mix of academics and athletics. He says that the staff has been on him for a long time and he has a great relationship with them. He says that he wants to major in business and if the NFL doesn't work out, he'd like to practice law.

I'm torn on my prediction. Notre Dame or Miami.

Ill go with Notre Dame. But like Newberg and I discussed, it could easily be one of ND, Miami or even Florida.

Like I said, I have not been told where he's going. I could also make a case that it could be Notre Dame or UF. But I'll go out on a limb and predict Miami.

To clarify, FSU was recruiting him, but he's several notches down from the top guys. He's not a guy the staff will lose a whole lot of sleep over. Whether or not this is a big loss will be known when the class is complete.

===========================================

Woody Pecka will be our downfall from winning the big one and landing 5 star O-linemen....Dat woody pecka lookin mafuka

Last edited by Manofwar9146; 04-08-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #695
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Couple FSU related notes from Dallas NFTC

The Nike Football Training Camp stopped in Dallas, Texas yesterday. Sonny Shipp from our LSU site gave me a call with a couple quick FSU notes:

He spoke with Beaumont (Texas) Ozen five-star cornerback Tony Brown and asked him if he was visiting FSU this coming weekend for the spring game. Brown told him that he plans to. Couple concerns with Brown is the distance for the travel and his track schedule (isn't supposed to conflict I am told). To add, FSU is optimstic he makes it in though.

Also, he said that Houston (Texas) Clear Lake sophomore tight end Jordan Davis was very impressive at the event. Davis, an early FSU commitment, was arguably the top 2015 kid at the event on Sunday. Davis won't make FSU's spring game as he is set to visit Texas A&M this coming weekend. Big 12 schools remain very, very active with Davis.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '05 - away - #696
MysticKJ 28 heat pts28 space
Toddynho e Rodizio
space
$13,438 | POWERFUL
Manofwar9146 said:
FSU Monday practice/scrimmage quick hitters

- Defensive end DeMarcus Walker is still not cleared to practice.
still not sorted out
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #697
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Latest on Andrew Brown

He's not visiting FSU soon....

================================================== =============

Brown returns from UVa impressed

Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith defensive tackle Andrew Brown visited Virginia on Saturday for the Cavaliers' spring game. The five-star returned home impressed.

Andrew Brown

"It was a really good experience," said Brown. "I had a chance to spend time with other recruits, talk with the UVa staff, and see the spring game. I had a good time."

What stood out the most about the 6-foot-4, 284-pounder's experience in Charlottesville?

"I want to move into music engineering after football. What stood out to me the most about my experience at UVa was how the staff set up time for me with the academic staff to

show me how they've set people up in my field of study.

"It helped me understand what I would do if I went there."

Brown spent time with UVa head coach Mike London over the course of the day on Saturday.

"Coach London told me how important I am to the staff and to make the best the decision for me and to make that decision with my heart."

All but two members of Virginia's 2013 signing class was on-hand on Saturday, as was all three of the Cavaliers' 2014 commitments.

Brown trains with several from those two groups weekly.

"I spent most the day with Taquan Mizzell, Corwin Cutler, Derrick Nnadi, Quin Blanding, and Steven Moss. There were a lot of recruits there.

"Those guys were recruiting Nnadi and I hard to come on board. It was fun."

In February, the Oscar Smith star narrowed his list to ten schools; Ohio State, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Virginia, UNC, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Alabama, and Georgia Tech.

Has there been any movement among his group of finalists?

"Right now, it's the same ten schools that I narrowed my list to. I'm still doing some soul searching.

"As far as visits go this spring and summer, I'm looking at those too. I don't have anything locked in yet though."

And as for a decision timetable, Brown told 247Sports that he will graduate in December and enroll at his school of choice in January.

"I will enrolling at my school of choice in January. So, right now, I'm really focusing on what it is I need to find out about each of the schools before making my decision."

247Sports ranks Brown as the No. 4 prospect in the nation and No. 1 defensive tackle.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #698
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
Andrew Beck set to announce

Tampa (Fla.) Plant four-star inside linebacker Andrew Beck is set to announce.

Beck will announce Tuesday night.

According to Plant head coach Robert Weiner, the talented defender will announce on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. from the football field house at Plant.

During the process, Beck has collected scholarship offers from Boston College, Connecticut, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, Memphis, Miami, Mississippi State, Oklahoma, Rutgers, SMU, South Florida, Stanford, Texas, and UCF.

He told Tom Loy of 247Sports.com on Monday morning that he will be selecting from five finalists – Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma, Stanford, and Texas.

Over the past month, Beck has taken unofficial visits to four of his five finalists, visiting Texas, Florida State, Florida, and most recently Stanford.

Throughout the process, Beck has emphasized finding an institution that had the right balance of academics and athletics. He has also spoken regularly about looking for the right relationships with coaches and players.

As a junior, Beck led his team with 126 tackles (50 solo tackles), 32 tackles for loss, six sacks, and eight pass break-ups.

247Sports.com considers Beck the No. 17 inside linebacker in the nation and No. 39 prospect from the Sunshine State.

Stay tuned to 247Sports.com for continued coverage of Beck’s upcoming announcement.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #699
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
4-star WR plans to see FSU this summer

Allen, Texas --- Malachi Dupre exploded onto the recruiting season after a pair of big camp showings last summer, including a stop at LSU's camp, where Dupre tested off the charts and blew away the competition during one-on-one drills, earning an offer from the Tigers in the process.

Malachi Dupre likes what he sees from new LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron

Nine months later, the Tigers are hoping to cash in on the scholarship.

"The LSU coaches are ready for me to jump on board," Dupre said. "They said they wanted the best players to go ahead and commit so the other guys wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger now, too.

"I can tell they really want me. I haven't been to too many schools, but I feel the love LSU shows me."

The good news for the Tigers is Dupre, who holds more than 30 offers, is beginning to warm up even more to LSU now that the Tigers have landed Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator.

When LSU scrimmaged before spring break, Dupre was in attendance to get a first-hand glimpse at what the new-look offense will be like in Baton Rouge, and he left very much impressed.

"It was different," Dupre said. "For a receiver, it was different in a good way. It was spread out more and they threw the ball around more. It was good too see.

"The coaches told me about the offense since Cameron got there, but I wanted to see it for myself. Once I saw it, I knew it was true."

Dupre has long been recruited by running backs coach and recruiting coordinator Frank Wilson, who leads the charge on New Orleans prospects being recruited by the Tigers.

But over the past few months, Dupre has grown close to other members of the staff, including wide receivers coach Adam Henry.

"I have a real cool bond with Coach Henry," Dupre said. "He's a people-person. Every time we go hang out there, it's comfortable. Coach Henry is cool like that.

"And my first impression on Coach Cam was that he's real cool. I like them a lot right now."

Of course, with suitors coming from across the map, Dupre has plenty of coaching staffs that he has built relationships with during his recruiting process.

"I talk a lot with the UCLA staff, Notre Dame staff, Ole Miss staff and LSU staff," Dupre said. "There are just so many colleges, and all the coaches are cool and have tried to come on strong.

"I will probably start to narrow it down in the next couple months. In the summer I will take some visits, then I will know what teams are left."

Which schools could land unofficial visits this summer?

"Clemson, Florida State, UCLA, Notre Dame and Oklahoma State," Dupre said. "That's about it.

"Over the summertime, I am not saying I will have my decision made, but I want to be around enough schools to where I have a top group going into my senior year."

(Editor's note: This story was written by Shea Dixon and quotes were compiled during an in-person interview in Allen, Texas by Sonny Shipp)

=================================

This n*gga is da truth....real talk....5 star by tha end of the year....LSU bound tho....tough to pull
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #700
Manofwar9146  space
space
$8,155 | 15242396
NCAA says Miami's motion to dismiss Shapiro case deflects allegations

Miami's motion to dismiss the Nevin Shapiro case deflects attention from "the significant allegations" against the school, according to a response filed by the NCAA enforcement department.

Portions of the contents of the enforcement department's 42-page response to the NCAA infractions committee were relayed to CBSSports.com. That response followed Miami's motion to the infractions committee to drop the case on March 29. Enforcement's response is signed by interim director Jon Duncan.

The first sentence of the enforcement response reads: "From the enforcement's staff perspective the motion to dismiss by the institution and involved individuals are attempts to deflect attention from the significant allegations that remain in the case."

Four former Miami a.ssistant coaches have also filed motions to dismiss. Miami is asking the
infractions committee to use its "broad discretion" and "immediately conclude" the controversial case. This latest news means the enforcement department has now had its chance to weigh in to the infractions committee which ultimately decides penalties in cases.

Among the several claims made by Miami in its motion is that NCAA investigators lied and misled witnesses in investigating the Shapiro case. Also, the NCAA is alleged to have used the heretofore unknown concept of "self-corroboration" involving Shapiro. The motion mentions that 20 allegations against the school in the NCAA's notice of allegations were made solely by Shapiro without corroboration.

"The enforcement staff has contended that if Shapiro described a given allegation on more than one occasion, they considered the consistency of his statements to be 'self-corroboration' and included the allegation in the Notice [of allegations] without it being substantiated by any other evidence," the motion stated. "This theory of 'self-corroboration' is not supported by any established legal principle and is nothing more than the enforcement staff's belief that if someone lies twice it somehow becomes the truth."

The motion also described Shapiro as "delusional and mentally unstable."

In its motion, Miami reiterated it should not be penalized further after self-imposing a two-year bowl ban and suspending players when the violations were first reported two years ago. The institution has been charged with lack of institutional control by the NCAA.

Miami could appear before the infractions committee as soon as June. Penalties, if any additional, would follow a few weeks or months later.

Although dismissing a case of this length and scope is believed to be unprecedented, Miami in its motion cited a case against Pittsburgh that was dropped in the 1970s because "evidence had been fabricated by a member of the NCAA staff." Miami goes on to state there is a "lack of a specific record" of the Pittsburgh case, although it did say enforcement officials who were around at that time recalled details.

Shapiro, a former Miami booster, is alleged to have provided lavish extra benefits to Miami recruits and players. He is currently serving a 20-year sentence for his role in a $900 million Ponzi scheme.

Home > all sections > BX SportsCenter

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
43 viewing
BOX Ronda Rousey Facing Rumors She's Dating a Married Fighter Accused of Do..
51 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
29 viewing
Image inside Hol' Up, Hol' Up....child support cant do this
114 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
21 viewing
Image inside Nicki Minaj Is Pregnant By Meek Mill?
185 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
21 viewing
Video inside Vester Flanagan aka Bryce Williams reporter shooting hoax
333 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
20 viewing
NBA PIC | Check Out Anthony Davis Transformation
75 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
18 viewing
Video inside Civil war teams confirmed.
156 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
16 viewing
Image inside What Does Pull Out Mean?...Elyssa
39 comments
22 hours ago
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
16 viewing
Video inside Ebro Shut Down ASTRO on hot97
321 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |   BX 1998-end of time