This is BX @ Boxden.com

5 Common Misconceptions About Ray Lewis’ murd3r Trial

5 Common Misconceptions About Ray Lewis’ murd3r Trial
topic by 44Caliber - 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM - Boxden > BX SportsCenter

(CBS Detroit) Ray Lewis seems poised to ride into the sunset like Jerome Bettis if the Ravens win in the linebacker’s second championship game. Lewis looms large in a Super Bowl without superstars and gets the reflected glow of the big game. That spotlight exposes some gnarly fissures on him; some scabbed over scars of whispers and rumor. Self righteous types cluck their tongues to this day and mouth the word: “murd3rer.”

His trial was thirteen years ago, so memories faded. When facts fall out of the mouths of commentators, there is a fast and loose quality to them. I have read articles recently shaded to indicate Lewis’ implication in the murd3r and some that are flat out false.

There is prejudice here. It is undeniable that many a$sociate Lewis’ case with the Simpson case. They fill in the parts they don’t know with details from OJ’s eventual acquittal.

Here are five common misconceptions about the murd3r case involving Ray Lewis:

1. Ray Lewis was involved in a murd3r – Ray Lewis was an eventual witness in a murd3r case. He was charged with the murd3r of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar along with his two companions Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting. The murd3r charges stemmed from a vicious f!ght in Atlanta streets following a Super Bowl Party in 2000. Eventually, the case ended with the defendants acquitted for reasons of self defense. In the eyes of the court, no murd3r took place.

2. Ray Lewis’ friends went to jail to protect him – This is in a lot of blogs and opinion pieces. It’s just not true. No one in this case went to jail.

3. Ray Lewis refused to testify against his friends in the murd3r trial – It’s the opposite. Ray Lewis started the trial at the table with Oakley and Sweeting. He flipped, pleading down to an obstruction of justice charge in exchange for testimony. Lewis was the state’s star witness. Some sources say the three men were no longer friends because of the alleged betrayal. Ironically, the only person to serve any sentence in this case at all was Lewis. Had he not flipped, he likely would have walked away with the same acquittal as the other defendants.

4. The murd3rs were never solved – This is written a lot, along with something to the effect that no other suspects were ever arrested. It doesn’t seem to be in dispute that Oakley and Sweeting k!lled Baker and Lollar. The jury found that it was self defense after only a few hours of deliberation.

5. Ray Lewis is a murd3rer – Ray wasn’t involved in the f!ght that k!lled the two men. His companions were. Lewis wanted no part of the f!ght, but not for some moral or noble reason. He wanted to avoid the conflict because he was concerned it might hurt his NFL career. Throughout the process, Lewis seemed consumed with protecting his then burgeoning NFL superstar status. He made them promise silence in the limo afterward and lied to police the morning after. He flipped on his buddies to avoid scrutiny.
For all of you that thought you knew what happened and were positively wrong.

5 Common Misconceptions About Ray Lewis’ murd3r Trial « CBS Baltimore

Latest Sports Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

94 comments for "5 Common Misconceptions About Ray Lewis’ murd3r Trial"

01-25-2013, 10:24 AMaway - #2
Deelo Deniroz 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$2,916 | 8862759
so he turned on he boys
 01-25-2013, 10:26 AMaway - #3
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$26,692 | POWERFUL
next thing you know people are going to be hating on him calling him a snitch now
 01-25-2013, 10:30 AMaway - #4
steeLTown 108 heat pts108

d 
space
$18,744 | POWERFUL
nope he murd3red em
 01-25-2013, 10:35 AMaway - #5
armstrong boy 

d 
space
$1,393 | 1380989
want a man he turned on his boys to free them if that make sense but thats what happened, he's the only one that got jail time
 01-25-2013, 10:40 AMaway - #6
Based_One 62 heat pts62

d 
space
$7,003 | POWERFUL
He a snitch a snitch a$s mutha####in ####

Naw just playing I love Ray my favorite LB of all time.
 01-25-2013, 10:45 AMonline - #7
Ghost Terp 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$12,821 | POWERFUL
All bull#### misconceptions

Cognac, knives and fists by the goddamn Baltimore Sun

ATLANTA - Ravens star Ray Lewis took the stand for the first time yesterday, describing a moment when "all hell broke loose" and demonstrating on a manikin some of the blows struck in the course of a vicious street f!ght that left two men dead.

Lewis testified for the prosecution, describing how three of the companions with him early Jan. 31 took part in the brawl and that one of them afterward demonstrated to him how he had held a knife.

The testimony, coming a day after Lewis pleaded guilty to misdemeanor obstruction in exchange for having felony charges against him dropped, revived Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard's faltering case against the two other men.

But even if it prevents the judge from throwing out the case, it might not win a conviction. Lewis also provided evidence for self-defense claims for Reginald Oakley, 31, of Baltimore, and Joseph Sweeting, 24, of Miami. Both men are charged with a$sault and murd3r in the st@bbing de@ths of two Decatur, Ga., men.

Lewis said Oakley and Sweeting had been attacked by members of the victims' group early Jan. 31 and that he never saw them st@bbing anyone.

Under questioning from Howard, who until this week had been trying to lock up Lewis for the rest of his life, the player described the sequence of events that left Jacinth Baker, 21, and Richard Lollar, 24, dead.

Two days before the f!ght, Lewis said he was riding in his rented stretch limousine with Sweeting and Oakley when the two showed them folding knives they had just purchased. Prosecutors allege these were the murd3r weapons.

"They said, `Hey man, look at these knives we bought,'" Lewis said. "I said, `Hey man, you all are tripping with the knives.'"

Lewis' entourage picked up members as it made its way through a weekend of parties, including one hosted by NBA legend Magic Johnson.

On Super Bowl Sunday, the group ended up at a nightclub. After several hours and three or four servings of Remy Martin cognac, Lewis led the group out of the bar and down the street toward his waiting limousine. On the way he heard some of those lagging behind him encounter five or six strangers, he said. Lewis turned and saw Oakley talking angrily and gesturing at them.

"He was the aggressor at that point. He was really hostile at these guys," Lewis said. Lewis said he grabbed Oakley by the waist and pulled him up the street, back to the limousine. "I was asking, `What are you doing? We don't have time to argue. Let it go,'" the 240-pound linebacker testified.

Lewis said he got his group into the limousine and was standing outside with Sweeting when the other group - men with roots in Akron, Ohio - passed by on the sidewalk. Then they turned and began heading back to the limousine, he said.

'Everybody was just f!ghting'

Then, for reasons Lewis said he doesn't know, Oakley hopped out and headed toward the Akron group. One man, later identified as Baker, hit Oakley on the side of the head with a full bottle of Moet champagne, opening a cut behind Oakley's ear but not breaking the bottle.

"All hell broke loose at that point," Lewis said. "Everybody was just f!ghting."

Sweeting , a slightly built man known to friends as "Shorty," went to Oakley's aid but was grabbed by two larger men. One of them dragged Sweeting a few feet by his shirt, pulling it from the back of his neck - a maneuver Sweeting's attorney had Lewis demonstrate on Sweeting in one of several bits of courtroom theatrics yesterday.

Lewis said he looked over and saw Oakley and Baker in the street. "That was a frantic f!ght. They was really going at it," he testified.

On a cloth manikin provided by prosecutors, Lewis demonstrated how he saw Oakley at one point standing behind Baker, punching down at him, landing blows to his chest as the man slumped to the ground.

Prosecutors allege that Oakley held a knife between his fingers while punching Baker, masking from observers what he was doing.

In a key point expected to help defense attorneys, Lewis testified that another member of his group, Carlos Stafford of Texas, joined in the f!ght against Baker, kicking him. Lewis said he later overheard Stafford say he picked up the unbroken bottle and smashed Baker with it.

Prosecutors have said they are considering charging another man - believed to be Stafford - based upon Lewis' testimony. Stafford's attorney has said his client committed no crimes.

Meanwhile, Sweeting was being hit by two men, Lewis said. "He was f!ghting back, he was throwing punches in the chest area," he testified.

'Let's go, let's go

"All of this took less than a minute. It was like there was a big brawl. I was yelling the whole time, `Let's go, let's go,' and nobody was leaving so I ran back to my limo and said, `I'm out of here,'" he said.

Lewis said the others soon joined him. As the vehicle left the curb, it was struck by several bullets. A member of the Akron group has admitted to shooting at the limousine, in an effort to get it to stop. The occupants hit the floor and stayed there until they pulled into a hotel a mile away to fix a tire flattened by the gunfire.

While in that hotel's lobby, waiting for cabs, Lewis said he walked up to Sweeting and asked what happened. He said his friend, whom he has known since he attended the University of Miami, showed him how he held a knife between his fingers in a fist. Lewis demonstrated the back and forth motion for the jurors, using a pen for the knife.

"He said, `Every time they hit me I hit them.' I said, `You all tripping'" Lewis testified.

Later, in his hotel room, Lewis asked Oakley what had happened. Oakley said he "was just beating him," Lewis testified. "I said this is all on me. My career is over because you guys tripping."

Lewis admitted lying to police when they came to interview him later that day. He said he doesn't know what became of the cream-colored suit he had on that night. He left his clothes with a friend because he had to go to Hawaii to play in the Pro Bowl. Prosecutors contend the clothes and other evidence was dumped in a fast-food restaurant's trash container.

Though several witnesses had testified that Lewis was involved in the f!ght, the player said yesterday: "It's something I don't do. I don't f!ght, period."

On his way out of the courthouse, Lewis reiterated that he did not k!ll or even hit anyone during the melee, which came as the city was celebrating the Super Bowl played here the night before.

"I was never anything in this case but a witness," Lewis said. "Thank you to all my fans who supported me."

Lewis was free to return to Baltimore, where he is expected to hold a news conference Friday. His attorney said the player may eventually seek a meeting with family members of the victims.

Move surprises jurors

Lewis' move from the defendant's table to the witness stand took jurors by surprise. One could be seen asking her seatmate where he was when the trial resumed yesterday morning. The judge explained the situation and told them not to hold the development against the remaining defendants.

Lewis' high-powered attorneys, who had commanded the center of the courtroom for three weeks, were relegated to the spectators' seats. Chief attorney Edward T. M. Garland sat with his wife.

The player's last-minute plea agreement with prosecutors and his testimony headed off what might have been a humiliating "directed verdict," by the judge to throw out the case, said Jerome Froelich, a prominent Atlanta defense attorney not connected with the case.

That puts Oakley and Sweeting in a worse situation then they had been when Lewis sat alongside them at the defense table, he said.

"They are much worse off. It is going to a jury now. Anytime your fate is in the hands of 12 people you are much worse off," Froelich said.

The case might turn on the directions the judge will give jurors and how they will interpret Georgia laws governing self-defense and deadly force, he said. And prosecutors still have a hard job before them to convince jurors beyond a reasonable doubt that the men are murd3rers, he said.

"They've got a good self-defense case," Froelich said.

Another Atlanta defense attorney, Mark Spix, said Lewis' testimony helped the prosecution, not because it was so damaging to Oakley and Sweeting, but because the state's case was in so much trouble.

"You're talking about a dike with thousands of holes and Ray Lewis plugged up 800 of them," Spix said. But Lewis also helped the defense by giving Sweeting and Oakley a plausible reason for being in a f!ght, and describing Sweeting being attacked by two men, he said.

No attack on credibility

While some legal analysts predicted that defense attorneys would attack Lewis' credibility, they didn't. Harvey even opened on a folksy note, asking the player permission to call him Ray because he was used to having him seated next to him.

Spix said the lawyers were smart not to attack Lewis, largely because his statement wasn't all that damaging to their clients.

"If I were a prosecutor I'd think he'd helped the defense a little too much," he said.

Howard said Lewis' testimony makes a self-defense theory implausible: "If what they were doing was self-defense, why would Lewis say he got disgusted by their actions and tell them to remain quiet about it?"

Attorneys for Oakley and Sweeting said Lewis didn't hurt their clients and helped portray the victims as aggressors.

"There is nothing that Ray Lewis testified to that is inconsistent with the innocence of Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting," said Bruce Harvey, Oakley's lawyer.

Lewis wasn't seeking to hurt his former co-defendants, Garland said. But "I don't think you will see him in their presence again."

There was a murd3r and Ray Lewis' testimony helped him and his former friends get off. We are supposed to believe that a drunk a$s Ray Lewis sat back and watched his friends get his a$s whooped, this was not the man of God that is here now. #### out of here, this ni##a was involved in a murd3r and skated away thanks to high powered lawyers with a great plan to get him and his boys off

Last edited by Ghost Terp; 01-25-2013 at 10:48 AM..
 01-25-2013, 10:49 AMaway - #8
S W A N 49 heat pts49

d 
space
$5,543 | POWERFUL
No mention of the white suit that disappeared?
 01-25-2013, 10:50 AMaway - #9
.amberlamps. 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$25,041 | POWERFUL
kobe bryant'd his boys
 01-25-2013, 10:52 AMaway - #10
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$26,692 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S.TEX
kobe bryant'd his boys
 01-25-2013, 10:54 AMonline - #11
Ghost Terp 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$12,821 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S.TEX
kobe bryant'd his boys

Nope, he a$sisted his boys with his testimony
 01-25-2013, 11:06 AMaway - #12
Stupid Fresh 167 heat pts167

d 
space
$17,753 | POWERFUL
hes a big black athlete of course people said he was involved in the f!ght even tho he wasnt
 01-25-2013, 11:10 AMonline - #13
U.B.HiRM 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$11,487 | POWERFUL
from akron huhh...

lebron involved
 01-25-2013, 11:15 AMaway - #14
Michael 1987 636 heat pts636

d 
space
$58,653 | POWERFUL
####ing sellout. Great player but still a ####ing sellout.

And sill no mention of that suit.
 01-25-2013, 11:35 AMaway - #15
illstate11 

d 
space
$2,007 | 6539309
When they make a movie about ray, denzel is gonna k!ll it in that scene
 01-25-2013, 12:18 PMaway - #16
Wallabees 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$3,862 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Pistol Peter
next thing you know people are going to be hating on him calling him a snitch now
I've been doing that already
 01-25-2013, 12:40 PMaway - #17
ill 800 61 heat pts61

d 
space
$6,902 | POWERFUL
the same people who call him murd3rer will ignore this stuff and continue on, because thats what they do.

they are bonified haters
 01-25-2013, 12:41 PMaway - #18
ill 800 61 heat pts61

d 
space
$6,902 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S W A N
No mention of the white suit that disappeared?
whats the shirt supposed to prove?
 01-25-2013, 12:43 PMonline - #19
Ghost Terp 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$12,821 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ill 800
the same people who call him murd3rer will ignore this stuff and continue on, because thats what they do.

they are bonified haters
Did you read that article from the Baltimore Sun?
 01-25-2013, 12:46 PMaway - #20
ill 800 61 heat pts61

d 
space
$6,902 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Ghost Terp
All bull#### misconceptions

Cognac, knives and fists by the goddamn Baltimore Sun

There was a murd3r and Ray Lewis' testimony helped him and his former friends get off. We are supposed to believe that a drunk a$s Ray Lewis sat back and watched his friends get his a$s whooped, this was not the man of God that is here now. #### out of here, this ni##a was involved in a murd3r and skated away thanks to high powered lawyers with a great plan to get him and his boys off
lol i take my props back.

how was he involved in a murd3r if it was ruled in court self defense?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Xbox One Games Store New Releases 9/02/14
65 comments
Video inside  NBA Live 15 Improved Visuals Trailer
63 comments
NFL JJ Watt earns a 6 year-$100 Million Dollar extension wit..
52 comments
 Video inside This Just In: Hitman Holla Was In A Bad Car Accident
New reply 6 minutes ago - 116 comments - by Guvnor
  Sep 1 - Exclusive: Man Who Leaked All Jennifer Lawren...
New reply 18 minutes ago - 73 comments - by messy marv stan
 Video inside Sep 1 - U.s. Government Found Responsible For Martin L...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 104 comments - by Ladklap
 NBA Kobe Bryant The Greatest Offensive Player Ever?
New reply 20 minutes ago - 110 comments - by TheeMrMarvel
  Aug 31 - Breaking: Celebrity Nude Leak
New reply 10 minutes ago - 411 comments - by AlienGod
 NBA Remember Back When Boston Was Projected To Beat Miami ...
New reply 20 minutes ago - 85 comments - by HeatMafia410
 Video inside Snoop Dogg Responds To Star (shots Fired)
New reply 10 minutes ago - 137 comments - by bkid
 NFL An Nfl Player Got A Tattoo On His Face To Keep Himself...
New reply 23 minutes ago - 58 comments - by Bastille

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.