This is BX @ Boxden.com

Xbox Support Staff Say They Were Fired After Posting About Their Jobs On Kotaku

Xbox Support Staff Say They Were Fired After Posting About Their Jobs On Kotaku
topic by Da Ill One - 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

If you do customer support for Microsoft, don't post about it on this website. You'll probably lose your job.

Over the past week, I've been in touch with two former Xbox support staff. Both people, who asked that we not use their names, say they were fired for writing comments about their jobs on Kotaku. One was let go last week, the other around a month ago.

In other words, be careful what you write on the Internet.
By now the stories are familiar: teens getting suspended for writing dumb things on Twitter; employees scolded for Facebook albums filled with bongs and whiskey. But how often does someone get let go for posting a comment on an Internet news article?

Last Friday, a person who we'll call Bob was told to call his manager at Alpine Access, the work-from-home company that employed him. (Alpine handles tech support for the Xbox 360.) His manager asked if he had ever heard of a website called Kotaku. Yes, Bob said—he had.

"[The manager] then continued on about how someone that was higher up at Microsoft found the comment I left on the news article," Bob said in an e-mail to me. "I was then reminded that we aren't allowed to speak about the company, or anything related to it on social media sites or any related sorts... I ended up apologizing for leaving the comment."

I reached out to Alpine Access for comment and was directed to a spokeswoman for Sykes, the company that owns Alpine.

"We do have confidentiality agreements with our clients," the spokeswoman said, noting that she couldn't comment on the specifics of this situation. "And so we do expect our employees to abide by those confidentiality agreements."

Bob's manager said he would be suspended from work until Monday as they investigated the issue. On Monday, Bob got another call. He was fired.

Here's the comment Bob made on Kotaku, in response to an article about Xbox support pranksters. (His comment has since been deleted.)

"I believe this entire thing was taken a little too far," Bob told me. "I understand that it can make Microsoft look bad with an employee talking bad about their customers. But what I was saying wasn't as bad as they are making it seem."

The second former Xbox support staff, who we'll call Frank, has a similar, but completely separate story. Frank also worked for Alpine Access. A couple of months ago, he was asked to get on a conference call with three Alpine executives, who accused him of stealing from Microsoft by generating codes that give out free time on Xbox Live's premium Gold Membership.

But Frank says he didn't steal a thing.

"They told me they were going to find proof and press charges against me," Frank said in an e-mail to me. So he asked: if they found no proof, would he get his job back?

"Another person who was on the phone spoke up and said that's not the reason I was being fired," Frank said. "And that regardless of whether I'm innocent or not, they will never rehire me again because of the comments I made on Kotaku. They claimed the reason they're firing me is because I broke the non-disclosure agreement I signed when they hired me. This agreement stated that I'm not allowed to tell anyone I work for Microsoft or Xbox."

Here's the comment Frank was fired for:

"In all honesty, if I was an employer and my employee wrote something like that about a product I was trying to sell, I could see myself firing them too," Frank said. "I'm upset about losing my job, but I understand where they're coming from."

While I've blacked out both Bob and Frank's usernames here (at their request), neither ex-Alpine employee used a Kotaku handle that was connected to their real names. We don't know how Microsoft connected their Kotaku comments with their identities. Yet another compelling reason to be very, very paranoid about what you do and say online.

Source

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

18 comments for "Xbox Support Staff Say They Were Fired After Posting About Their Jobs On Kotaku"

01-09-2013, 09:38 AMaway - #2
Jesszman 2179 heat pts2179

d 
space
$29,476 | POWERFUL
idiots
 01-09-2013, 09:39 AMaway - #3
Hovi Bryant 236 heat pts236

d 
space
$19,467 | POWERFUL
Moral of the story? Don't be an idiot.
 01-09-2013, 10:33 AMaway - #4
Quick SR Son 2 heat pts

d 
space
$783 | 5643511
Pretty Much. Sucks they lost their jobs, but its their own damn fault.
 01-09-2013, 10:43 AMaway - #5
LaRy BLanco 457 heat pts457

d 
space
$36,060 | POWERFUL
good for those ####s

M$ Support<<<<<<
 01-09-2013, 11:04 AMonline - #6
HiRolliN 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$15,189 | POWERFUL
dude knew the consequences of posting those messages and went and didn't it anywayz lol ####ing moron.
 01-09-2013, 11:17 AMaway - #7
EGO 51 heat pts51

d 
space
$29,509 | POWERFUL
They deserve it, especially if they really did violate the NDA. Especially the "Frank" guy. You simply don't denounce the company you're working for in a public forum.

This is a lot different from getting fired for personal life stuff on Facebook. If I get fired for showing that I drink alcohol on my profile, that's some grade A bull#### (and a big reason I have shied away from using social networks altogether). But yea, these dudes were just stupid.
 01-09-2013, 11:19 AMaway - #8
r.burgundy 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$31,762 | POWERFUL
word.how hard is it to not post about your job
 01-09-2013, 01:00 PMaway - #9
WMYakballzWM 4 heat pts

d 
space
$3,439 | 0
yea that buying a xbox rent a center style is the stupidest thing you could ever do... paying 2 times as much as it costs becasue of all the interest.
 01-09-2013, 10:29 PMonline - #10
Just BizNis 37 heat pts37

d 
space
$5,844 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by AuthenticMade
I dunno maybe im reading it wrong....but this definitely almost implies that they have aliens working at MS.....I just felt like the point of this article was to tell us something else
Lmao

Yeah. You're reading it wrong

It's: Both people say they were fired for writing comments about their jobs on Kotaku. (These people asked us to not use their names, btw.)
 01-10-2013, 12:21 AMaway - #11
Techniec 4 heat pts

d 
space
$452 | 2313569
God Kotaku why would you hang there place is awfull. They deserv to get fired.
 01-10-2013, 10:31 AMaway - #12
Jae_Mike 14 heat pts14

d 
space
$3,430 | 17147171
freedom of speech violation
 01-10-2013, 11:22 AMaway - #13
Krypt 3 heat pts

d 
space
$8,277 | 19099231
Originally Posted by Techniec
God Kotaku why would you hang there place is awfull. They deserv to get fired.
*awfull

*deserve

anyway, they both were extremely stupid and got what they deserved.
 01-10-2013, 11:27 AMaway - #14
Nest 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,779 | POWERFUL
A lot of people would be fired if their bosses knew about BX.
 01-10-2013, 11:42 AMaway - #15
Da Ill One|M 3611 heat pts3611

d 
space
$39,938 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jae_Mike
freedom of speech violation
There's no freedom of speech when you sign an NDA...
 01-10-2013, 01:19 PMaway - #16
Account001 

d 
space
$2,922 | 9162492
Another reason i hate xbox and microsoft... if you put out a ####ty product dont be mad if a employee calls you on it. It should have been vetted and if the vetting process says its a ####ty product, improve it
 01-10-2013, 02:22 PMonline - #17
ultimaforce 2 heat pts

d 
space
$377 | 2469863
I wonder how they found out who they were though.
 01-10-2013, 02:29 PMonline - #18
HiRolliN 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$15,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ultimaforce
I wonder how they found out who they were though.
im pretty sure it wouldnt be hard for there I.T. department to reverse track the IP address. especially if they posted the comments from inside the company and not an out side line.

Last edited by HiRolliN; 01-10-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Titanfall teases 'biggest update' details for tomorr..
67 comments
NCAAF Todd Gurley to be reinstated
52 comments
NBA 4thQtrKobe with 3 consecutive baskets in the clutch
88 comments
 Video inside Honey Cocaine - Curveball...exposing Thirsty Men And O...
New reply 4 seconds ago - 271 comments - by blafy
 Video inside Oct 21 - Man To Obama: Don't Touch My Girlfriend
New reply 3 minutes ago - 53 comments - by Carlton Black
 Video inside Gay Rumor Control: Tyrese Responds To Spanky’s Gay Acc...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 106 comments - by ajeana
  Oct 21 - She Tweeted Against The Mexican Cartels. They...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 56 comments - by Turk3
 Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds 2 Ig Comment
New reply 2 minutes ago - 79 comments - by Dray
 NFL Some Seahawks Players Allegedly Don’t Think Russell Wi...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 140 comments - by st21
 MLB The 2014 World Series: Kansas City Royals Vs. San Fran...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 561 comments - by !!!
 Image(s) inside 50 Cent Speaks On Eminem And Jay-z (:truth:)
New reply 5 minutes ago - 176 comments - by BasedonMars

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,795 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.