This is BX @ Boxden.com

Wii U Sales Top 40K in UK But Fail to Reach Top 10

topic by Jesszman - 12-03-2012, 11:45 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

Already enjoying a successful launch in the U.S. earlier in November, Nintendo (PINK: NTDOY) sold another 40,00 units of its new Wii U videogame console during its first 48 hours on the market in the UK, according to a report by the British gaming website MCV.

RELATED

Nintendo's Wii U First Week Sales...

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 Almost Doubles...
Nintendo has not officially reported or confirmed these somewhat disappointing sales figures, which come just a week after the struggling Kyoto, Japan-based gaming giant sold over a million hardware units through the week of Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Instead, MCV stated that, “the figures were arrived at through a combination of feedback from retailers and software sales data passed on by trade sources. Using this MCV was able to extrapolate estimated sales based on the previously confirmed Wii U bundle market shares.”

Sales suffered across the UK from supply shortages in brick-and-mortar retail stores similar to the U.S. launch. Just as Toys “R” Us locations across the U.S. had to warn customers that they may not receive their pre-ordered versions of the first next-generation video game console, retailers are not expected to have the Wii U in abundant (or even available) supply until some time next year.

None of the Wii U launch titles managed to break into the UK’s top ten list of best-selling games for the weekend of its launch, the a$sociated Press reports. The closest title, “Nintendo Land,” edged just below the Top Ten at No. 11 according to GfK Chart-Track. The game is included with the new console and essentially functions as a cluster of mini-games to teach players how to use some of the Wii U’s unique features and the novel touch-screen GamePad Controller

Despite the disappointing numbers, premium console bundles -- the most expensive retail package of the Wii U that included a special version of the console that was painted black and included a cluster of launch titles -- accounted for 60 percent of sales in the UK, according to British gaming site VG247.

While the Wii U’s U.S. launch outperformed the previous launches of Sony’s (NYSE: SNE) Playstation 3 and Microsoft’s (Nasdaq: MSFT) Xbox 360, Microsoft managed to nearly double Nintendo’s Wii U sales over the same period with its current-generation 360 console alone.

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

18 comments for "Wii U Sales Top 40K in UK But Fail to Reach Top 10"

12-03-2012, 12:20 PMaway - #2
Triple0 

d 
space
$2,326 | 6467895
What's your beef with the wii u? All I see is 49438 threads bashing wii u and your #### a$s is the one who made all of them. Can't you just let people enjoy their system? I don't need some nerdy, virgin, living in mommas basement #### shoving it down my throat why he doesn't like a system he doesn't own or even played.
 12-03-2012, 12:22 PMaway - #3
Jesszman 2179 heat pts2179

d 
space
$29,476 | POWERFUL
I have no beef with the Wii U
 12-03-2012, 02:47 PMaway - #4
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$26,800 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Triple0
What's your beef with the wii u? All I see is 49438 threads bashing wii u and your #### a$s is the one who made all of them. Can't you just let people enjoy their system? I don't need some nerdy, virgin, living in mommas basement #### shoving it down my throat why he doesn't like a system he doesn't own or even played.
 12-03-2012, 03:15 PMaway - #5
jewelz1132 3 heat pts

d 
space
$8,388 | POWERFUL
Lmao... But it'll pick up steam once they start marketing the console a bit better. No one touches the white basic models. They're in stock heavy right now around my way. It just seems like outside of gamers, no one knows exactly what it is or why they need one over their old wii
 12-03-2012, 03:41 PMaway - #6
Jesszman 2179 heat pts2179

d 
space
$29,476 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by jewelz1132
Lmao... But it'll pick up steam once they start marketing the console a bit better. No one touches the white basic models. They're in stock heavy right now around my way. It just seems like outside of gamers, no one knows exactly what it is or why they need one over their old wii
Yeah, that's very true, nintendo has not marketed it well at all. Plus the white one is just useless.
 12-03-2012, 04:00 PMaway - #7
jewelz1132 3 heat pts

d 
space
$8,388 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
Yeah, that's very true, nintendo has not marketed it well at all. Plus the white one is just useless.
32gb is just as usless when you go to download a game in the Wii U eShop and it's 20GB. If you try and take advantage of their points system with using the eShop, you'd need a standalone drive regardless.
 12-03-2012, 06:39 PMaway - #8
TheProtege9020 50 heat pts50

d 
space
$4,749 | POWERFUL
Wii U sold 40K in the UK in two days. It just dropped on the 30th. People are trying so hard to hate.
 12-03-2012, 08:04 PMaway - #9
GUCCI C0ND0MS 

d 
space
$264 | 529353
nintendo, we off that
 12-03-2012, 08:26 PMaway - #10
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$26,800 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by jewelz1132
A lot of the people that the Wii was marketed towards are extremely intimidated by the huge tablet controller. I don't think this one will come near the success that the Wii experienced, unfortunately.
 12-03-2012, 08:41 PMaway - #11
UrbanGAAWD 192 heat pts192

d 
space
$6,426 | POWERFUL
Like I said before...people aren't gonna buy a 400 dollar system to playing ####ing Mario.....why get that system when for 200 bucks you can get a playstation 3 with blu ray and 3D games in it or Xbox that can play kinect and great games for it.....and then in 2 years when PS4 and Xbox 720 come out it will be played
 12-03-2012, 09:32 PMaway - #12
mystic boy 217 heat pts217

d 
space
$4,472 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by SSJVEGETO
Wii U sold 40K in the UK in two days. It just dropped on the 30th. People are trying so hard to hate.
They do try hard. Gotta give 'em an A for effort at the very least.
 12-04-2012, 01:55 AMaway - #13
Pleasure Boy 674 heat pts674

d 
space
$6,377 | POWERFUL
Wii U is the Vita of Nintendo
 12-04-2012, 03:48 AMaway - #14
DominationCM 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,232 | POWERFUL
Sales figures mean absolutely nothing
 12-04-2012, 05:02 AMaway - #15

d 
space
$6,377 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DominationCM
Sales figures mean absolutely nothing
And old ideas stay being old...the point I'm trying to make is outta the 3 Sony, M$ and Nintendo, Nintendo is really the only company to try new innovative ideas. While Sony and M$ are so busy worrying about each other Nintendo is dominating them by coming up with a whole new gaming experience. I believe that Sony and M$ like most people dont even consider Nintendo as being on the same level as them and because of this....they lose.

The Wii U will be more successful than the PS4 and 720 because they going to have the biggest advantage which is a head start. If you dont believe me simply look at the 360s launch they wanted a head start over Sony so bad that they sold broke 360s and they knew it. They paid a BILLION dollars for it cause thats how much failure rate problem set them back and this was a few years ago.
I think Sony and M$ are going to underestimate Nintendo again. By the Wii U releasing this holiday season its going to be huge its going to sell simply based on the fact that its the only new console on the market. Its kinda like what M$ did with the 360 get a head start and est@blish a fan base no matter what. It cost M$ over a billion dollars to do this.

Sony #### is expensive thats why ni##as pay so much attention when they announce a price cut.

in a few months Nintendo is gonna takeover gaming and its nothing Sony or M$ can do about it. I still dont think we're going to see a new console from Sony or M$ next year. Like I said before its going to be a massacre this holiday season
the Wii U is a way better console than the Wii, and in some ways the PS3 and 360. Plus unlike the Wii it will release by itself 720 and PS4 are damn near a year and some change away. I said "Nintendo" there dropping the price of everything to phase out the Vita and even make the Wii look price reasonable. With Sony expensive price line and the 360 looking bland the set up is there. Once the Wii U drop it by the end of this year it will be the #1 console until the PS4 and 720 hit shelves. Krazie think of the head start. That argument of "its for kids or there's no third party support" doesn't exist.

One of the main reasons 360 beat PS3 and came in second is because it had a year head start on both. Dont underestimate the power of an est@blished fanbase.

Not to mention the Wii U is already sold out everywhere

Thats just my way of letting you know you should shut the fucck up
 12-04-2012, 11:07 AMaway - #16
Quddus 5 heat pts

d 
space
$5,925 | 14726320
I don't care hate on me and I don't live in my parents basement and I make over 60k a year. #### nintendo for realeasing this sub par next gen console. I am gone end up buying one once the price jobs. Just for mario. That will probably be next year I bet
 12-04-2012, 11:48 AMaway - #17
Jae_Mike 14 heat pts14

d 
space
$3,430 | 17147171
One things that k!lls me is people forget that nintendo is the old gangster of video games that put in work. There would be no ps3 move or xbox kinect if wii didnt break the grounds first. The xbox and ps controllers are based on the snes controller with the dimond yxba buttons and the sholder buttons.

The Wii u will work because of their innovation.to the industry plus third party support and a re vamped online experince. I have all three systems but prefer the Ps3 and Wii U over the 360 as entertainment systems all around. The 360 is a great video game console
 12-04-2012, 12:53 PMaway - #18

d 
space
$6,377 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jae_Mike
One things that k!lls me is people forget that nintendo is the old gangster of video games that put in work. There would be no ps3 move or xbox kinect if wii didnt break the grounds first. The xbox and ps controllers are based on the snes controller with the dimond yxba buttons and the sholder buttons.

The Wii u will work because of their innovation.to the industry plus third party support and a re vamped online experince. I have all three systems but prefer the Ps3 and Wii U over the 360 as entertainment systems all around. The 360 is a great video game console
what innovation? The reason its nt selling is coz they dnt have games, its alreadi flooded wit shovelware no-one wants to play a $400 Mario game, Nintendo's problem is the focus to much on family games, those children grew up that use to play wit the Wii, they play on 360's and PS3's now, seriously besides Zombi U and Mario what else is there? And Mario looks boring as fucck to me

Last edited by Pleasure Boy; 12-04-2012 at 12:57 PM..
 12-04-2012, 01:53 PMaway - #19
Patrick Galooly 7 heat pts

d 
space
$4,462 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Triple0

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Oct 22 - Autopsy reveals Michael Brown reached for of..
72 comments
Article inside  Titanfall teases 'biggest update' details for tomorr..
68 comments
Image inside  NBA LIVE 15 EA Access Full Game Trial Lands October 2..
56 comments
 MLB The 2014 World Series: Kansas City Royals Vs. San Fran...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 611 comments - by !!!
 Video inside T.i. At The Breakfast Club: Iggy & Snoop, Ebola, G...
New reply 37 minutes ago - 77 comments - by BreakfastClub
 NFL Some Seahawks Players Allegedly Don’t Think Russell Wi...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 158 comments - by st21
 NBA Report: Source Claims Kobe Nearly Prevented Steve Nash...
New reply 1 hour ago - 66 comments - by T.O.N.Y.
 Image(s) inside Freeway Robbed For Rocafella Chain?[rumor]
New reply 22 minutes ago - 65 comments - by Carlton Black
 Video inside Gay Rumor Control: Tyrese Responds To Spanky’s Gay Acc...
New reply 1 hour ago - 119 comments - by ajeana
 Video inside Honey Cocaine - Curveball...exposing Thirsty Men And O...
New reply 34 minutes ago - 310 comments - by blafy
 NBA 4thqtrkobe With 3 Consecutive Baskets In The Clutch
New reply 1 hour ago - 93 comments - by TnTbadman

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,795 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.