This is BX @ Boxden.com


Wii U is hacked "We have everything needed for a next-gen key"


 Wii U is hacked "We have everything needed for a next-gen key"
topic by Da Ill One - 04-30-2013, 07:37 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot


A team of console hackers, previously responsible for a custom chip that circumvents security protocols on Wii, have claimed they are able to design a similar key for Wii U.

The hackers say they have "completely reversed the Wii U drive authentication, disk encryption, file system, and everything else needed for this next generation key".
Though it appears that the group has designed a hardware chip, the complexities of modding a console raises questions about the claim that it has fully hacked the Wii U.

Other questions, such as whether the mod will survive an official system update, or if the modded system could run back-up games, remain unanswered.

The group, which CVG has decided against identifying, has yet to provide verifiable evidence that it has hacked the Wii U, though it is responsible for one of the many Wii mod keys available.

Hacks of this nature could test Nintendo's expertise and will in overcoming piracy.

The legal issues surrounding modding consoles are particularly complex due to differences in international law.

In the modern age, console manufacturers tend to battle piracy by offering valuable online services that hacked systems tend to be stranded from. The capacity of Wii U discs - at 25 gigs per layer - is also a deterrent for piracy.

CVG has contacted Nintendo for comment.

Source


Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

25 comments for "Wii U is hacked "We have everything needed for a next-gen key""


 04-30-2013, 07:53 AMaway - #2
ThePainkiller 288 heat pts288

  d 
space
$50,000 | POWERFUL
Over before it even started
 04-30-2013, 09:50 AMaway - #3
The N 202 heat pts202

  d 
space
$29,407 | POWERFUL
This actually means WiiU sales will go up
 04-30-2013, 10:01 AMaway - #4
Kazel 

  d 
space
$4,506 | POWERFUL
Hmm, might consider buying one now
 04-30-2013, 10:05 AMaway - #5
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72

  d 
space
$15,288 | POWERFUL
Let's get it. Another console I'll have modded soon enough.
 04-30-2013, 10:28 AMaway - #6
gametime187 

  d 
space
$930 | 3160435
[quote=The N;26990464]This actually means WiiU sales will go up[/QUO
 04-30-2013, 11:19 AMonline - #7
LaRy BLanco 366 heat pts366

  d 
space
$30,138 | POWERFUL


might cop 1 now
 04-30-2013, 11:28 AMaway - #8
Cya Nerd 153 heat pts153

  d 
space
$13,446 | POWERFUL
!! this I want the 3ds hacked
 04-30-2013, 11:46 AMonline - #9
bd2eazy 34 heat pts34

  d 
space
$4,592 | POWERFUL
did yall read the article? still to early to consider a buy IMO.
 04-30-2013, 12:05 PMaway - #10
Cya Nerd 153 heat pts153

  d 
space
$13,446 | POWERFUL
Just to clarify because the WiiKey team aren't making it very clear (why would they? Any publicity is good publicity). This isn't a Wii U OS hack, it won't enable homebrew, mods/cheating, region free or anything fun like that. The*only*thing it enables is the playing of copies of disks because it's effectively a "drive emulator"Drive emulation is a tough cookie to f!ght against, it's also used for the 360key, Wode and Xode (and probably others). Basically you emulate the disk drive and redirect all the calls to a USB drive instead. However because the drives are going to have significantly different timings and thresholds, that's a possible vector of attack for Nintendo - just make games check for known jitter or timings, preferably game specific or constantly updated... Similar to how the later waves on the 360 worked. It won't stop piracy because you could always update the drive emulator with new patches, but it could make it a big enough pain in the arse to put most people off.



nvm
 04-30-2013, 01:33 PMaway - #11
Jesszman 2105 heat pts2105

  d 
space
$28,339 | POWERFUL
bx dudes can't read
 04-30-2013, 01:41 PMaway - #12
Cya Nerd 153 heat pts153

  d 
space
$13,446 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
bx dudes can't read
No !! billy
 04-30-2013, 01:43 PMaway - #13
Da Ill One|M 3310 heat pts3310

  d 
space
$37,342 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
bx dudes can't read
Says the guy who didn't read the thread either...

Originally Posted by Cya Nerd
Just to clarify because the WiiKey team aren't making it very clear (why would they? Any publicity is good publicity). This isn't a Wii U OS hack, it won't enable homebrew, mods/cheating, region free or anything fun like that. The*only*thing it enables is the playing of copies of disks because it's effectively a "drive emulator"Drive emulation is a tough cookie to f!ght against, it's also used for the 360key, Wode and Xode (and probably others). Basically you emulate the disk drive and redirect all the calls to a USB drive instead. However because the drives are going to have significantly different timings and thresholds, that's a possible vector of attack for Nintendo - just make games check for known jitter or timings, preferably game specific or constantly updated... Similar to how the later waves on the 360 worked. It won't stop piracy because you could always update the drive emulator with new patches, but it could make it a big enough pain in the arse to put most people off.

nvm
Where in the article did it say this could do all that? it says they have everything to need to GET A KEY...which will allow that stuff...they hacked the Wii U and got the information to make that stuff happen... reading is fundamental
 04-30-2013, 02:27 PMaway - #14
Cya Nerd 153 heat pts153

  d 
space
$13,446 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Da Ill One
Says the guy who didn't read the thread either...



Where in the article did it say this could do all that? it says they have everything to need to GET A KEY...which will allow that stuff...they hacked the Wii U and got the information to make that stuff happen... reading is fundamental
You're a fool


You don't understand what it means in detail you don't know what it does

 04-30-2013, 02:30 PMaway - #15
Jesszman 2105 heat pts2105

  d 
space
$28,339 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Da Ill One
Says the guy who didn't read the thread either...
Of course I didn't read the thread with you being so late in posting it.
 04-30-2013, 02:40 PMaway - #16
Da Ill One|M 3310 heat pts3310

  d 
space
$37,342 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
Of course I didn't read the thread with you being so late in posting it.

it's not posted anywhere else...and if you dont' read it then don't make a comment about dudes not reading...
 04-30-2013, 02:53 PMaway - #17
Jesszman 2105 heat pts2105

  d 
space
$28,339 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Da Ill One
it's not posted anywhere else...and if you dont' read it then don't make a comment about dudes not reading...
I already read the OP when it was posted on other sites.
 04-30-2013, 03:00 PMaway - #18
ThePainkiller 288 heat pts288

  d 
space
$50,000 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
I already read the OP when it was posted on other sites.
Would you please shut the !! up.


KEY WORD!

Other site.


I wish you would join those other sites and GTFOH.
 04-30-2013, 03:04 PMaway - #19
Jesszman 2105 heat pts2105

  d 
space
$28,339 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ThePainkiller
Would you please shut the !! up.


KEY WORD!

Other site.


I wish you would join those other sites and GTFOH.
Can't really join most news sites...
 04-30-2013, 07:01 PMaway - #20
kamianisan 13 heat pts13

  d 
space
$1,957 | 11661259
Originally Posted by The N
This actually means WiiU sales will go up
This. Lord knows I been waitin


Edit:


2nd Page.

Last edited by kamianisan; 04-30-2013 at 07:03 PM..
 
 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
MLB Breaking: Yankees Pitcher Michael Pineda Gets Caught for..
59 comments
NBA One Year Ago Today Carmelo Scored 37 Points... (video)
56 comments
NBA James Harden's Last 3 Series
61 comments
 NBA Did The Rocket Trade Kevin Martin For A Younger... Kev...
New reply 9 seconds ago - 81 comments - by TRILL SH1T
 NBA 4x Nba Champion, 3x Finals Mvp, 2x Mvp And A 14x Nba A...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 119 comments - by DominationCM
 NBA Nba-who Is The Most Overrated All Time Great?
New reply 2 minutes ago - 338 comments - by JordanWest86
 NBA Lebron James Gets Throat Chopped :dead: (video)
New reply 15 minutes ago - 81 comments - by italiansteve
  Worst Movie Endings
New reply 12 minutes ago - 129 comments - by tre0624
 NFL Merril Hoge: Jadeveon Clowney Is An 'atrocious' Footba...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 67 comments - by all3rd
 NFL Russell Wilson And Wife Divorce
New reply 12 minutes ago - 98 comments - by SeattleWon
  If They Rebooted "white Men Can't Jump"
New reply 33 minutes ago - 89 comments - by -ThE~DoN~LoN-

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,711 fans of BX | none new today 4,651 following and 3 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.