This is BX @ Boxden.com

War Z Creator Apologizes: ‘I Became Arrogant And Blinded By The Early Success And Quick Growth’

War Z Creator Apologizes: ‘I Became Arrogant And Blinded By The Early Success And Quick Growth’
topic by MischiefTooReal - 12-27-2012, 07:22 PM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

The man behind The War Z has apologized to his fans for some of the controversies that have entangled the much-maligned survival horror game over the past couple of weeks.

In an extensive letter that tackles some of the game's well-publicized issues—like misleading Steam descriptions and community mismanagement—War Z boss Sergey Titov says he'll be hiring new staff, changing the War Z forum's policies, and "[providing] better communication" in the future. He also apologizes for his missteps.

Here's the full letter he sent to War Z players today:
Dear fellow Survivors,

It has now been more than two months since we launched public access to The War Z. We've definitely had our ups and downs, and I thought that this Holiday break was the right time for me to try to step back a little and think about our journey since it started. This may be a little long, but I would appreciate if you could stay with me for a few minutes as I try to go over the highlights of the game as well as some of the hurdles and controversies, how we have addressed that and what our plans are.

First of all a very big and sincere "Thank You!" to all of you. We are really proud of the community we have formed with you guys. Every day we have hundreds of thousands of players on our servers, and this is a life-changing event for the team and me. We are blessed to have you as members of the community and we are well aware that without you the game would be nothing. Along with that thanks, though, I need to admit that we failed to effectively communicate some of our plans and actions to both our existing players and to our new prospective players. This failure to communicate resulted in some very negative feedback from some members of our community, but while it might be easy to label them as "haters" or some other dismissive term, in all honesty this is my fault. I became arrogant and blinded by the early success and quick growth of The War Z, our increasing number of players, numbers we were getting from surveys, etc., and I chose not to notice the concerns and questions raised by these members of the game community as well as others. This failure is entirely on my shoulders and if anything I owe thanks to that vocal minority and admit that I should have paid attention sooner. I chose instead to concentrate on the bigger picture – my dream of turning The War Z from being a game developed by a small indie team into a large online venture, instead of addressing small things first and staying focused on the game issues. At the end my arrogance led us to the moment, when all those small things finally caught up and created a "perfect storm" that affected all of our community members. For that I'm truly sorry and apologize to all of our community as well as the larger PC gaming community that is not yet playing The War Z.

I do not take this situation lightly, and last week events were especially humbling for me. I've experienced a range of emotions, most of which centered on regret for not having addressed some of the issues differently than we did, but we can't change the past. The only thing we can do is to be sure that we won't repeat the same mistakes in the future. I have realized that as the leader of this ship, I missed all early warnings that were saying, "Your community is not as happy as you think they are, you need to alter course." I was too focused on how great we are and how a small independent team got their first game to over 700,000 users in a two-month period. Though that is something to be very proud of, allowing that to overshadow the existing community and their satisfaction was poor judgment.

I want to give you some insight into what our plans are for the future, but before we get to that, I'd like to clear the air with you on several important topics.

Community management and moderation – the problem

Even since the early Alpha launch, this game has always cultivated a large and loyal player base that is very active in the game. Again, thank you for this. Unfortunately, we weren't prepared for this large success and the way we managed the community was not the way it should've been. We relied too much on forum moderators, whose primary role was to punish those who break rules, not to engage the community and guide conversations into productive discussions about problems. There wasn't enough presence of the development team on forums, there wasn't enough updates on development of UPCOMING features. We failed to communicate our position and messaging on the outside platforms such as Facebook, twitter and various online websites, and when we did this we chose to rely more on arrogance rather than being humble and trying to understand why people were saying negative things. We chose to tune out negative reactions to the game, not paying enough attention to them – and this, again, is my fault. We chose to rely too much on numbers – percentage of refund requests, number and dynamic of our daily and monthly active users, etc. Well, in hindsight – those things probably work well for more casual games, but the hardcore PC gaming community is much different and can be very vocal about what they feel. Even when the percentage of players with negative comments is small, as the community grows, even a small percentage can add up to be a very significant absolute number. And it's not just a number – those are real people with real issues they are having with the game. OP Productions (publisher for War Z) and me personally have failed to address those issues effectively.

> War Z Creator Apologizes: ‘I Became Arrogant And Blinded By The Early Success And Quick Growth’ - Photo posted in BX GameSpot | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Read the the letter in it's entirety here:
War Z Creator Apologizes: 'I Became Arrogant And Blinded By The Early Success And Quick Growth'

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

20 comments for "War Z Creator Apologizes: ‘I Became Arrogant And Blinded By The Early Success And Quick Growth’"

12-27-2012, 07:31 PMaway - #2
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$13,113 | POWERFUL
Did he apologize for Big Rigs
 12-27-2012, 08:28 PMaway - #3
D.IrIsH 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$1,503 | 20784717
Takes guts to do what he did here..

Respect.

12-27-2012, 08:58 PMaway - #4
IronMaiden 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$12,119 | POWERFUL
#### him and his ####ty game.

Once Day Z officially releases it's standalone this game won't even be remembered.
 12-27-2012, 09:03 PMaway - #5
D.IrIsH 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$1,503 | 20784717
Originally Posted by IronMaiden
#### him and his ####ty game.

Once Day Z officially releases it's standalone this game won't even be remembered.
Ehhhhh, he tried.

Greedy, yes... but I can bet 99% of people on here woulda done the same in his situation.
 12-27-2012, 09:37 PMaway - #6
IronMaiden 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$12,119 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by D.IrIsH
Ehhhhh, he tried.

Greedy, yes... but I can bet 99% of people on here woulda done the same in his situation.
The guy is a piece of #### that ran a piece of #### practice and got called out every single day, he even STOLE another games TOS.. The guy is a scum bag.
 12-28-2012, 02:17 AMaway - #7
ruff 6 heat pts

d 
space
$23,423 | POWERFUL
Goobers gon goob.
 12-28-2012, 10:45 AMaway - #8
katalist 180 heat pts180

d 
space
$33,978 | POWERFUL
This dude is a piece of ####, the low of the low in the games industry.

Game is beyond horrible and this guy is a ####ing ####.

Never have ever wished de@th on someone in all my years, but if this idiot died I would not be sad one bit.

If you check his previous interviews or videos of him gaming on youtube this #### hes saying here is way different they in the past. Look at how much better his english is n ####. Dude is a grade A #### and tried to get as much money as possible before his scam got found out.

In my 25+ years of gaming I have not witnessed so much bull#### around a game. From how bad the game actually plays to the lying and false advertisement that this c#nt does, straight scum bag who is trying to cash in on DayZ fame.

Last edited by katalist; 12-28-2012 at 10:49 AM..
 12-28-2012, 06:34 PMaway - #9
Young_ 244 heat pts244

d 
space
$21,151 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by katalist

Never have ever wished de@th on someone in all my years, but if this idiot died I would not be sad one bit.
word? over a game?

u sound like a nerd raging maggot of an individual, dog.
 12-28-2012, 08:20 PMaway - #10
CarlozRossi 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$3,668 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by UniVersaceDaGr8
word? over a game?

12-28-2012, 10:42 PMaway - #11
Msirae Faythung 216 heat pts216

d 
space
$5,791 | POWERFUL
War Z will only be remembered as how not to make/release a game.
 12-28-2012, 11:15 PMaway - #12
lifeundthescope 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$6,048 | POWERFUL
word? over a game?

this
 12-29-2012, 12:49 AMaway - #13
D.IrIsH 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$1,503 | 20784717
word? over a game?

12-29-2012, 01:48 AMaway - #14
_Da_Game_ 

d 
space
$1,011 | 645531
this game has potential... maybe after pulling in some actual developers and implementing what they have said in the past, it will be a great game. I started playing it whenever they released the alpha version and it was pretty intense and fun until they got greedy and the hackers were every where.
 12-29-2012, 01:52 AMonline - #15
ImAMonster 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$24,469 | POWERFUL
word? over a game?

He's just PMS'ing cause the Broncos are doing really good this year and he can't say anything about them in the BXSC. How you enjoying your lifelong banishment from the BXSC, Kat?
 12-29-2012, 04:48 PMaway - #16
D. Norman 5 heat pts

d 
space
$11,746 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Zaosyn
Did he apologize for Big Rigs
No he actually laughed at any1 wanted to play a game where you drive a big rig around...

at ppl wanting to be a truck driver when they grow up
 12-29-2012, 05:03 PMonline - #17
r.burgundy 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$31,839 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by katalist

If you check his previous interviews or videos of him gaming on youtube this #### hes saying here is way different they in the past. Look at how much better his english is n ####. Dude is a grade A #### and tried to get as much money as possible before his scam got found out.

In my 25+ years of gaming I have not witnessed so much bull#### around a game. From how bad the game actually plays to the lying and false advertisement that this c#nt does, straight scum bag who is trying to cash in on DayZ fame.
what exactly did this guy do?
 12-29-2012, 05:26 PMaway - #18
D. Norman 5 heat pts

d 
space
$11,746 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by r.burgundy
what exactly did this guy do?
too be honest, he put out a game that i think was $15 bucks or lower.

The game was still in early stages of development from what i have seen from the 2 youtube clips i watched.

It hit steam (when i guess it should have not) with a bunch of features it was suppose to have, but slim to non was actually offered.

People expected the best game in the world and when duked out their 15 or 10 dollars they earned from doing their mothers laundry for a month they had a hissy fit and wanted to cyber k!ll this guy.

BUt i only saw 2 youtubes and one was a guy ####ing the entire time and the other was a common sense individual talking about all the stuff that so far has been added and for 10-15 bucks the game did not look all that bad
 12-29-2012, 05:42 PMaway - #19
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$13,113 | POWERFUL
As much hate as War Z gets I do wanna play it and see what the PVP is about. I like the looting system better than Day Z atleast and wanna atleast try it. But I don't wanna buy it
 12-29-2012, 05:52 PMaway - #20
ruff 6 heat pts

d 
space
$23,423 | POWERFUL
Didn't look that bad?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 30 - Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
60 comments
Image inside  Oct 28 - Life under Obama sucks. And these numbers pr..
51 comments
IGN Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
86 comments
  Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta (prod. Soundwave X Thunder...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 82 comments - by mdemaz
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 1 hour ago - 184 comments - by NoLastName
  Best Rap Album Of 2014?
New reply 19 minutes ago - 94 comments - by QB Eagles
  Greatest Mixtape Or Mixtape Series Ever
New reply 2 hours ago - 83 comments - by killa the goat
 Video inside This Guy Asked A Homeless Man For A Slice Of Pizza. An...
New reply 27 minutes ago - 70 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 Video inside Throwback: Iggy Azalea Refuses To Freestyle On Sway In...
New reply 2 hours ago - 73 comments - by The Bully
 Image(s) inside Oct 29 - Aliens Are Real Reveals Former Area 51 Scient...
New reply 1 hour ago - 198 comments - by Rick Ross
  How You Can Get A New Ps4 For $275
New reply 2 hours ago - 174 comments - by SpazzOut

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.