This is BX @ Boxden.com

Valve's Steam Box Is Real, But Let's Not Get Carried Away

Valve's Steam Box Is Real, But Let's Not Get Carried Away
topic by Jago - 12-12-2012, 05:33 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

So yup, Valve really is going to sell a "Steam Box." By now you've probably heard this news but I'm going to cover it anyway because it's a story that seems to get bigger with every retelling and I'm here to bring us back down to earth.

Back story: The Spike TV Video Game Awards happened over the weekend and Jason Schreir over at Kotaku got a chance to interview Valve's Gabe Newell. Newell talked about PC gaming in the living room and in the course of that conversation he casually mentioned that Valve was going to be creating a locked down box that runs Linux and Steam's Big Picture mode.

And that's really all we know. Newell is really interested in bringing the same games that we're playing on the PCs in our office onto our living room TVs. This is, of course, absolutely feasible today. I do it, lots of you do it. All it takes is a relatively modern PC with an HDMI port and you're done.

Newell said he "expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year." Well, Alienware already sells such a package and I'm sure other companies do as well. The only difference is that it doesn't come set up so that Steam's Big Picture mode starts on boot-up.

Newell says Valve is going to get into this space but that their "hardware will be a very controlled environment." My guess is that this means a closed system where you can only install software via a Steam client that works essentially as the face of the OS. He also implies this machine will be Linux based since he says their next step is to get Steam for Linux out of Beta and then to get Big Picture mode working there.

And that's about it. To sum up:
1) Newell thinks PC manufacturers will start selling packages designed for the living room in 2013, which is a safe bet since PC manufacturers are already doing this.
2) Valve will eventually produce a locked-down gaming machine for the living room and it will probably run Steam as an OS and be based on Linux

At this point Valve's idea sounds a little like the Ouya to me. Granted Valve has more pull but when Activision announces the Linux version of the next Call of Duty I'll start to believe. Until that time a Steam Box based on Linux is going to be limited mostly to Indie titles. That's not really a bad thing these days since all the interesting work is being done in the Indie space, but I just don't see the Steam Box really competing with the Xbox 720.

Do you?
Valve's Steam Box is real, but let's not get carried away | ITworld

I want to know why all of the PC guys think this console will "put down" Microsoft? From all the articles I've read, it's just another console. No upgradable graphics card, no upgradable memory, no running games on max settings, no 64 player Battlefield 3, just another home console.

Reports are also saying the OS will be Linux-based. That means that it will be some time before the bigger games we all know and love will come to the Valve console. It will probably launch with a first party title such as Half-Life 3, but if they don't get games like Madden, 2K, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, etc., eventually down the line, this experiment will be dead on arrival.

Having this knowledge, why would you PC guys be riding so hard for this? A lot of you predicted the demise of Microsoft, a company that has only had 1 quarter in the red since going public (and that was due to a write-off), in the other thread about Valve's console. Why? I don't see how this console would affect Microsoft, or Sony or Nintendo even. It doesn't bring max level graphics into the living room, you won't be able to mod games since the OS will be closed and you won't be able to upgrade the console like you would do to your PC. Why would anyone leave PC gaming for the Steam Box? Why would anyone leave any of their consoles for the Steam Box?

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

57 comments for "Valve's Steam Box Is Real, But Let's Not Get Carried Away"

12-12-2012, 09:13 AMonline - #2
r.burgundy 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$31,956 | POWERFUL
these pc guys ride hard for anything they feel will dethrone consoles
 12-12-2012, 09:18 AMaway - #3
fatboi1 6 heat pts

d 
space
$3,287 | 12815376
Whats the point of this then?
 12-12-2012, 10:36 AMaway - #4
latin_linx 328 heat pts328

d 
space
$8,217 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by berzerkerguts
If your a console guy and you are unaware being able to access steam sales for you alone is worth your money.... Summer steam sale>>>>
Steam's Summer Sale, Autumn sale , Winter sale, >>>>
Steam's Winter sale starts on Dec 21st.
 12-12-2012, 10:59 AMaway - #5
HiRolliN 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$15,336 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by latin_linx
Steam's Summer Sale, Autumn sale , Winter sale, >>>>
Steam's Winter sale starts on Dec 21st.
also gotta add greenmangaming and amazon dirt cheap sales cause they sell pc games that require the keys to be activated threw steam.

and once the hackers get there hands on the steam console its only matter time before they crack it wide open and figure out a way to run iso's off it.

Last edited by HiRolliN; 12-12-2012 at 11:04 AM..
 12-12-2012, 11:17 AMaway - #6
fatboi1 6 heat pts

d 
space
$3,287 | 12815376
Originally Posted by berzerkerguts
If your a console guy and you are unaware being able to access steam sales for you alone is worth your money.... Summer steam sale>>>>
i mean that's cool and all but for w/e price this thing is selling for I can get probably a better PC and STILL access Steam and benefit. Only way I can see this being good is if they allow you to upgrade the video card and ram over time to increase performance.
 12-12-2012, 12:07 PMaway - #7
IGOTSHITTZ 1 heat pts

d 
space
$9,352 | POWERFUL
Or you just get an hdmi cable and take it from your pc to your tv.
 12-12-2012, 12:10 PMaway - #8
Hovi Bryant 237 heat pts237

d 
space
$19,629 | POWERFUL
Look at the game industry as a democracy if you can.

Don't concern yourself with political parties or anything beyond what matters, votes.

In the eyes of the developer, a vote is cast when you purchase, rent, or enjoy their game.

In the eyes of a company, a vote is cast when devs create projects for your platform.

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are at crossroads as to what will win the most votes.

The Xbox has a solid platform that is easy for developers to create, but expensive to maintain.
The Playstation 3 is too complex for some devs altogether.
The Wii U lacks a cohesive environment, and specs scare away devs.

Valve knows what the developers want. Valve also knows what the consumers want.

The Steambox will be friendly to developers to create, more cost efficient for patches and updates, while offering the same robust social features found on Xbox Live and Playstation Network. There are already quality AAA games on Steam as many big name publishers have been on board.

In theory, Valve should win out and shut down the competition. But it won't. Why?

Similar to real world politics, some people will vote for people based on familiarity, tradition, or some other irrational logic. People will still buy Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo because they have big names and are popular for what they have done and not what they are doing.

So yeah, the Steambox has a great opportunity to fail, but if it succeeds in any marginal form then the next iterations will most certainly damage the big three.
 12-12-2012, 01:22 PMaway - #9
Jago 385 heat pts385

d 
space
$2,096 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Hovi Bryant
Look at the game industry as a democracy if you can.

Don't concern yourself with political parties or anything beyond what matters, votes.

In the eyes of the developer, a vote is cast when you purchase, rent, or enjoy their game.

In the eyes of a company, a vote is cast when devs create projects for your platform.

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are at crossroads as to what will win the most votes.

The Xbox has a solid platform that is easy for developers to create, but expensive to maintain.
The Playstation 3 is too complex for some devs altogether.
The Wii U lacks a cohesive environment, and specs scare away devs.

Valve knows what the developers want. Valve also knows what the consumers want.

The Steambox will be friendly to developers to create, more cost efficient for patches and updates, while offering the same robust social features found on Xbox Live and Playstation Network. There are already quality AAA games on Steam as many big name publishers have been on board.

In theory, Valve should win out and shut down the competition. But it won't. Why?

Similar to real world politics, some people will vote for people based on familiarity, tradition, or some other irrational logic. People will still buy Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo because they have big names and are popular for what they have done and not what they are doing.

So yeah, the Steambox has a great opportunity to fail, but if it succeeds in any marginal form then the next iterations will most certainly damage the big three.
The current iteration of Steam having AAA does not mean the Steam Box will. You are forgetting that they will run on two different OSes.

Where are all the diehard PC guys that were in the other thread? I thought they would have a strong opinion on this.
 12-12-2012, 01:37 PMaway - #10

d 
space
$19,629 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jago
The current iteration of Steam having AAA does not mean the Steam Box will. You are forgetting that they will run on two different OSes.

Where are all the diehard PC guys that were in the other thread? I thought they would have a strong opinion on this.
My point isn't about the games, but the people who make them. If they are down, then Steambox has a chance.

You look at all of the consoles that have failed or are faltering now. They lack support in due part of poor hardware, piracy, and lack of install base.

Valve is ran by great minds, and I believe you're short sighted in believing that the name of the game is all that matters. It's the people behind them. A new AAA game can be made from scratch for any platform.
 12-12-2012, 01:40 PMaway - #11
Jago 385 heat pts385

d 
space
$2,096 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by r.burgundy
these pc guys ride hard for anything they feel will dethrone consoles
I wonder why they're not in here then?
 12-12-2012, 01:47 PMaway - #12
Jago 385 heat pts385

d 
space
$2,096 | POWERFUL
My point isn't about the games, but the people who make them. If they are down, then Steambox has a chance.

You look at all of the consoles that have failed or are faltering now. They lack support in due part of poor hardware, piracy, and lack of install base.

Valve is ran by great minds, and I believe you're short sighted in believing that the name of the game is all that matters. It's the people behind them. A new AAA game can be made from scratch for any platform.
I'm sorry man, but you haven't answered a single question.

For the PC guys out there:

This console won't have upgradeable parts. Why would you want it?

You won't be able to mod games on this. Why would you want it?

You won't be able to run games on max settings. Why would you want it?

You won't be able to do things in game such as have 64 players in Battlefield. Why would you want it?

Why would you leave PC gaming behind for another limited console?

Last edited by Jago; 12-12-2012 at 01:49 PM..
 12-12-2012, 01:48 PMaway - #13
Jago 385 heat pts385

d 
space
$2,096 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by IeatDatAzz04
I am in here with my pc hooked up to my hdtv

Pc >> ####ty consoles

Enjoy your 5 fps unplayable choppy ugly texture dump truck games

By your logic, the Steam Box is already ####ty before it releases.
 12-12-2012, 01:50 PMaway - #14
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72

d 
space
$15,340 | POWERFUL
I wonder why they're not in here then?
Probably due to the fact your article states nothing except that it might have Linux as its main OS.

There won't to do things in game such as have 64 players in Battlefield. Why would you want it?

Holy #### You got all that out of the main article I thought you said not to get carried away but people just straight up making #### up to prove their point
 12-12-2012, 01:53 PMaway - #15

d 
space
$19,629 | POWERFUL

You won't be able to do things in game such as have 64 players in Battlefield. Why would you want it?

Dude, you're a ####ing idiot.

You're going to attempt to pigeonhole Steambox into a ####ty criteria to prove a point?

Have fun with that.
 12-12-2012, 01:58 PMaway - #16
Jago 385 heat pts385

d 
space
$2,096 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by PhI|0z0pH3r
Probably due to the fact your article states nothing except that it might have Linux as its main OS.

Holy #### You got all that out of the main article I thought you said not to get carried away but people just straight up making #### up to prove their point
I've clearly did more research on the Steam Box than you. I've read several articles and they all say the same thing. The OS and hardware will be locked down. The one thing that differs is that some reports say that it may run a x86 version of Windows, but all reports say that the console will still be locked down. If you took a moment to read the article in my original post, Newell even says the console will be a controlled environment.

All you really need to do is Google "Steam Box" to see what I'm talking about. Why would I lie to you or anyone else on here just to prove a point? You aren't that important.
 12-12-2012, 02:03 PMaway - #17
Jago 385 heat pts385

d 
space
$2,096 | POWERFUL
Dude, you're a ####ing idiot.

You're going to attempt to pigeonhole Steambox into a ####ty criteria to prove a point?

Have fun with that.
How am I "pigeonhole-ing" anything? It's a console, not PC. You can't seriously think that you will be able to do the same things with the Steam Box as you do with a PC? I guess you don't understand what Newell means when he says that the Steam Box will be a "controlled environment." Thanks for getting upset and not answering any of my questions though.

Is there anyone with a serious reply? I'm really just curious on PC gamers side of this.
 12-12-2012, 02:05 PMaway - #18
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72

d 
space
$15,340 | POWERFUL
I've clearly did more research on the Steam Box than you. I've read several articles and they all say the same thing. The OS and hardware will be locked down. The one thing that differs is that some reports say that it may run a x86 version of Windows, but all reports say that the console will still be locked down. If you took a moment to read the article in my original post, Newell even says the console will be a controlled environment.

All you really need to do is Google "Steam Box" to see what I'm talking about. Why would I lie to you or anyone else on here just to prove a point? You aren't that important.
You still don't ####ing get it. This ni##a told me to Google it Ight let's Google it shall we. First two links that pop up

The only time they talk about Linux is as a possibility and thats due to the fact Newell doesn't like Windows 8. You keep reaching though your the most hilarious of the ones that claim what they know what their talking about so far. He did so much research on something no one knows about

The fact that you keep a$suming this is a console and not a gaming focused PC(which is what it will most likely be) makes you look like a ####ing dumbass. A controlled enviroment means they control what comes in and out not all this magical #### your making up According to you Valve is going to innovate backwards and remove bigger player counts in FPS and player made mods

Last edited by PhI|0z0pH3r; 12-12-2012 at 02:08 PM..
 12-12-2012, 02:08 PMaway - #19
katalist 181 heat pts181

d 
space
$34,068 | POWERFUL
This is perfect imo, for the people who want the hardware of pc gaming and the ease of STEAM but dont want to deal with everything else. F

I know alot of people tha tjust dont know #### about pcs adn thats the only reason why they dont game on PC. With a steam box like this with steam on it this would be awesome for some who dont own a PC but always wanted one.

STEAM BIG PICTURE mode is fantastic, easy to navigate for anyone. Its like moving around the xbox360 dashboard or windows8. VERY easy for people new to pc gamign to start up a game with this Big Picture.

Lets not forget that Gabe has brought steam SO far over the years, its now the best online service on any system. Steam took awhile to get goign at first is was MEH, but now its perfect imo. This will be fantastic for people that want a gaming PC's capabilities but dont wanna be forced to take care of there pc.

As A lifetime pc gamer (and console gamer to, own atari, nes from back in the day and of cours ehte new systems liek ps3 and 360), I think this is a fantastic idea, the pluses of PC gaming/steam but with a more streamlined approach for those who just don tknow as much about computers or pc gamign in general.

PC gamign is my fav but I am a multi system gamer, I love my consoles to, this is a great idea though from Gabe and Valve I gotta say. I personally wont be buying one but for my friends and family this could be a perfect addition to there livign room and systems they own.

Having it locked down is great, less issues can happen with things this way. If someone wants a full on gaming PC then they can go buy one, if they dont knwo much then buy teh steam box.

Fantastic Idea from Gabe yet again, I was trying the STEAM BIG PICTURE last night on my 50' #### is ####ign perfect how its set up, the UI is flawless. Got all my 300+ steam games listed, shows hte covers with a big image, easy as ####, just move the 360 controller over a few times and press A to start the game, BAM.

Bottomline is this is a great idea by a great person and great company. Will it k!ll consoles? I dont think so, but i think its a great addition for gamers that want to play some of hte awesome games on PC but dont know enough to build and maintain there own pc. I think this will also keep MS and Sony on there toes aswell.

Just my two cents frmo someoen who been gamign on pc (and consoles for over 20 years).

Last edited by katalist; 12-12-2012 at 02:18 PM..
 12-12-2012, 02:11 PMaway - #20
Jago 385 heat pts385

d 
space
$2,096 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by PhI|0z0pH3r
You still don't ####ing get it. This ni##a told me to Google it Ight let's Google it shall we. First two links that pop up

The only time they talk about Linux is as a possibility and thats due to the fact Newell doesn't like Windows 8. You keep reaching though your the most hilarious of the ones that claim what they know what their talking about so far. He did so much research on something no one knows about
This is from the article you posted:

"Newell suggested that Valve’s hardware may run on a Linux-based operating system, in a 'very controlled environment,' while users who wanted more flexibility could go with a more general purpose PC."

So Newell himself states that the Steam Box may run Linux but you say I'm reaching? He also states that if you want more flexibility, then you'd need to get a regular PC. Everything Newell just said contradicts your posts. It appears that you seem to know more about the Steam Box than Gabe himself. How is this?

Last edited by Jago; 12-12-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
BOX Manny Pacquiao vs Chris Algieri[11-22-14][HBO-PPV]
555 comments
NBA barkleys response to cousins "he can't whoop my ass"
51 comments
NBA LeQueef With Monster Rebound
61 comments
 NBA Can The Problem Actually Be Lebron?
New reply 8 minutes ago - 76 comments - by tygamann1
 Image(s) inside J.coles Fiancée
New reply 18 minutes ago - 141 comments - by incenso
  Old School Video Games That Would Make Good Movies
New reply 13 minutes ago - 56 comments - by TrillTalk404
 NFL Aaron Rodgers Is On Another Level. Literally. (pro Foo...
New reply 19 minutes ago - 98 comments - by EGO
 Image(s) inside Quavo Got Two Brand New Yrn Chains
New reply 17 minutes ago - 180 comments - by JNumbaNC
 Image(s) inside Janice Dickinson Submits A 1982 Photo Of Bill Cosby In...
New reply 22 minutes ago - 111 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Video inside Migos & Fans Response To Dc Goons For Doing The In...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 101 comments - by JNumbaNC
 MMA Ufc Fight Night 57: Edgar Vs. Swanson Official Discus...
New reply 28 minutes ago - 122 comments - by Gramz

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,860 fans of BX | none new today 4,808 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.