This is BX @ Boxden.com


Sony Stock Drops After PS4 Event


 Sony Stock Drops After PS4 Event
topic by Krazie - 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM - Boxden > BX GameSpot


A pledge to re-invest in the Vita, not showing the console itself, or a "scary number" could all be the cause of Sony's 24 point stock drop.

Sony's Japanese stock dropped 24 points, or around 1.7% (at time of writing), following the company's "PlayStation 4 announcement" event. It looks like Japanese investors were not as impressed with Sony's new console as many others were. While it initially seems a little strange to have the stock drop after a big announcement, it makes a lot more sense when we look at the big picture.

First let's look at what happened at the actual event. The company pledged to re-invest in the struggling Vita, the PS4 was shown to have a "supercharged PC architecture" but gave no indication of what the thing will cost, and the physical console itself wasn't actually shown. These are all things that could be worrying.

These problems are then exacerbated when we remember that Japan is actually in a pretty big recession right now. Sony is struggling to stay afloat in almost all of its industries. Its TV division posted a loss for its seventh straight year and the Fitch Group recently downgraded Sony's debt to junk status. You could see how an extremely ambitious new console with dozens of new (and expensive) features could cause investors who were expecting a more modest system to reconsider their investment.

Lastly, there is one more possible reason that may seem a bit... strange. Many Japanese people are incredibly superstitious, and 4 is a bad number. The Japanese/Chinese character for 4 is the same as the character for de@th, so they try to avoid it in all circumstances. It's not uncommon to have level 4 on apartment buildings renamed to level 3A, or skipped entirely. Perhaps Sony could have eased some stockholders' minds by naming their new console the PlayStation 3A?


The Escapist : News : Sony Stock Drops After PS4 Event

It's dropped even more since the article was written.

LMAO @ 4 being the character of de@th in Japan. > Sony Stock Drops After PS4 Event - Photo posted in BX GameSpot | Sign in and leave a comment below!


Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

56 comments for "Sony Stock Drops After PS4 Event"


 02-21-2013, 01:37 PMaway - #2
Trizz187 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,015 | 13849022
the game developers and game companies seem to think otherwise... ive never seen game devs side with sony like this in ten years since PS2
 02-21-2013, 01:38 PMaway - #3
Willbeatz 16 heat pts16

  d 
space
$5,912 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Krazie




It's dropped even more since the article was written.

LMAO @ 4 being the character of de@th in Japan.
 02-21-2013, 01:39 PMonline - #4
Hovi Bryant 237 heat pts237

  d 
space
$19,519 | POWERFUL
Japananese people call the PS4 "Playstation Four" in English.

Anyways, I'm not surprised.

Sony is really trying to win the U.S. market back, and price is really a big thing for us.

I think Sony should have flat out said, "this is the PS4 and here's the price".

They would have passed with flying colors. The stock still would have fallen though.

That vita is dusty. Look at Jessman's.
 02-21-2013, 01:40 PMonline - #5
Krazie 93 heat pts93

  d 
space
$27,093 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Trizz187
the game developers and game companies seem to think otherwise... ive never seen game devs side with sony like this in ten years since PS2
I'm all on board with it too, I was just expecting at least some sort of rise afterwards. Investors thought quite differently, apparently.

As long as it gets a reasonable price and when people actually see it, hopefully investors change their minds lol. If it's $600 and there are a lot of superstitious people in Japan
 02-21-2013, 01:53 PMaway - #6
TheT 20 heat pts20

  d 
space
$13,638 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Krazie

It's dropped even more since the article was written.

LMAO @ 4 being the character of de@th in Japan.
Four means "shi" in japanese which means de@th. That's why my japanese teacher would make us say "yon" in school in place of "shi".
 02-21-2013, 02:00 PMaway - #7
UrbanGAAWD 192 heat pts192

  d 
space
$6,430 | POWERFUL
damn sony can't win.....sony might be the j cole of the tech world
 02-21-2013, 02:00 PMaway - #8
Tiko377 990 heat pts990

  d 
space
$8,414 | POWERFUL
it was actually up after hours when the the annoucement was made i just think the whole market isnt doing to hot today, MSFT is also down almost 1.50% today.
 02-21-2013, 02:02 PMaway - #9
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

  d 
space
$26,299 | POWERFUL
Has anyone checked on Danai or Pain k!ller?
 02-21-2013, 02:07 PMonline - #10
Arson 82 heat pts82

  d 
space
$28,672 | POWERFUL
Not a huge drop but still...RIP to Sony.
 02-21-2013, 02:12 PMaway - #11
OG Killa 144 heat pts144

  d 
space
$13,767 | POWERFUL
 02-21-2013, 02:12 PMaway - #12
kontrast 

  d 
space
$1,644 | 5906315
Cause the PS4 looks like a$s. Gonna be another slow console cycle for Sony. I suspect Microsoft wont do much better but I think they'll appeal more to the hardcore gamer crowd.
 02-21-2013, 02:35 PMaway - #13
Trizz187 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,015 | 13849022
Originally Posted by kontrast
Cause the PS4 looks like a$s. Gonna be another slow console cycle for Sony. I suspect Microsoft wont do much better but I think they'll appeal more to the hardcore gamer crowd.
how so? what exclusives are they dishing out and third party cant save them now with PS4 having a social experience that can acctually contend with live. PS3 caterd towards hardcore and lost with microsoft having more of a social structure. Call it a stolen play from a playbook but sony just dished out one of Microsofts own tactics against them
 02-21-2013, 02:36 PMaway - #14
Trizz187 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,015 | 13849022
Originally Posted by Krazie
I'm all on board with it too, I was just expecting at least some sort of rise afterwards. Investors thought quite differently, apparently.

As long as it gets a reasonable price and when people actually see it, hopefully investors change their minds lol. If it's $600 and there are a lot of superstitious people in Japan
Looks like PS4 is gonna be bigger in USA and Europe this time. Japan is a dying market anyhow in general.. even in cars thanks to the power plant and tsunami
 02-21-2013, 02:38 PMaway - #15
Trizz187 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,015 | 13849022
Originally Posted by Arson
Not a huge drop but still...RIP to Sony.
Def wont be RIP sony. The fact that all the devs worked to help sony create this and the support and games they are bringing Sony might just take over again. Sony def has xbox to thank though cause xbox showed them what they shoulda done and now they dont wanna make anymore mistakes. Japanese investors dont hold weight when the sales come later. American investors are spectacle cause right now Xbox360 is still king just like in 2005 ps2 sold more then 360 but eventually getting deeper into the current gen xbox became number one with investors AND since 2005 devs followed 360s hardware for developing games now thats happening with Sony
 02-21-2013, 02:47 PMonline - #16
Krazie 93 heat pts93

  d 
space
$27,093 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Trizz187
Def wont be RIP sony. The fact that all the devs worked to help sony create this and the support and games they are bringing Sony might just take over again. Sony def has xbox to thank though cause xbox showed them what they shoulda done and now they dont wanna make anymore mistakes. Japanese investors dont hold weight when the sales come later. American investors are spectacle cause right now Xbox360 is still king just like in 2005 ps2 sold more then 360 but eventually getting deeper into the current gen xbox became number one with investors AND since 2005 devs followed 360s hardware for developing games now thats happening with Sony
Spoken like a true Sony employee.
 02-21-2013, 02:49 PMaway - #17
killadre 175 heat pts175

  d 
space
$10,776 | POWERFUL
 02-21-2013, 02:56 PMonline - #18
TattooedMPsz 31 heat pts31

  d 
space
$15,845 | POWERFUL
shut up dude with your stanning
 02-21-2013, 02:59 PMaway - #19
DRAGONFLY JONES 127 heat pts127

  d 
space
$7,440 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by urbangatsby
damn sony can't win.....sony might be the j cole of the tech world
 02-21-2013, 03:29 PMaway - #20
Trizz187 9 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,015 | 13849022
Originally Posted by Krazie
Spoken like a true Sony employee.
lol ex employee i got somthing way better prolly a year ago now.
 
 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Microsoft Investigating Xbox Owners for Fraudulently Refunding ..
68 comments
NBA Josh Smith responds to Kenneth Faried, calls him ‘a clown’
51 comments
NBA Confirmed: Russell Westbrook has a small fracture in his..
62 comments
 NBA Carmelo Anthony Busts A Nut In Lebron's Eye (video)
New reply 8 seconds ago - 72 comments - by King Henry
 Image(s) inside Nas Gettin Sucked Off By Madonna In The Studio (pic)
New reply 9 minutes ago - 96 comments - by PyrexVisionary
  Bigguccisosa Stream Out Now #sosaseason
New reply 1 minute ago - 60 comments - by NoLastName
  Ign Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
New reply 13 minutes ago - 106 comments - by boobizzy
 Video inside Why This Old Nigga Was Stoppin Sh-t Like He Was Goku?
New reply 1 minute ago - 74 comments - by HeatMafia410
 Video inside Before Dej Loaf Would Get Your Whole "fombily&quo...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 126 comments - by lilbeast
 Image(s) inside Nicki Minaj's Boyfriend Responds To Drake & Wayne ...
New reply 1 minute ago - 58 comments - by Frankybaby
 audio inside Nas - The Season (full Version)
New reply 19 minutes ago - 92 comments - by MANNYSOSA

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,832 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.