This is BX @ Boxden.com

Sony: PS4 is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived big PS4 announcements coming at Gamescom

Sony: PS4 is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived big PS4 announcements coming at Gamescom
topic by CrunchTime CDN - 07-05-2013, 11:21 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

More big PlayStation 4 announcements coming at Gamescom

> Sony: PS4 is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived big PS4 announcements coming at Gamescom - Photo posted in BX GameSpot | Sign in and leave a comment below!

The PlayStation 4 made its debut on UK soil this week, with Sony's retail partners and key press invited to a location in London to see the new console in action and play the new games.

At the event we caught up with Fergal Gara, VP and managing director at Sony Computer Entertainment UK and Ireland.
We asked Gara if it was true that Sony had changed its plan to bundle the PlayStation Camera in order to undercut the cost of the Xbox One. IGN reported that was the case last month, citing multiple sources. But Gara denied this, saying the PS4 price was in place long before the Xbox One cost was revealed.
"It can't be true because we couldn't possibly have known what the Xbox was going to cost," he said.

"What I'll say is, lots of ideas were considered you know, lots of different combinations and of course price was I think fairly clear from a very long time out but you know everything about PS4 is about giving gamers choice. So if you don't want a camera you don't have to have a camera. If you want to trade in games, you can trade in games. So there's been nothing in the whole proposition that is overly restrictive and I think the reaction has proved that people value that."

Gara reiterated that Sony's main goal with the PS4 was to deliver the most powerful console at a price that gamers consider to be acceptable, underlining its perceived status as the next-gen games console designed exclusively for gamers.
"The thing I'm most pleased about is the entire design principles about the PS4 are being focused around the gamer first. So how can we create a platform that's great to develop for and easy to develop for, because that unleashes the creatives and if they can create the best experiences that's going to lead to satisfaction for gamers.

Shipping without a camera, the PS4 is plenty cheaper than the Xbox One
"But secondly to design a piece of technology like that it's very easy to deliver one or the other, in particular I'm talking about the price and the performance trade off. It's very hard to deliver both and for me the balance that's been delivered across those two is outstanding. So it's great to be going to market with what we believe is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived and certainly ever developed and at a price that feels very acceptable, certainly based on the pre-order volumes that we're seeing."
Gara also highlighted the PS4's 8GB of super-fast GDDR5 memory as a key spec where the PS4 has a strong advantage over the Xbox One.

"We have the most uncompromised memory spec that we could pretty well dream up and if you talk to developers, if you talk to first party, third party developers, you'll see that that opens up the possibilities for them and it's about as high spec as they could have ever imagined, 8GB gives them huge headroom to continue developing fantastic games."
We asked whether Microsoft's decision to backtrack on its controversial policies regarding DRM, used games and online check-in had been a disappointment to Sony, given the tremendous amount of negative energy in the gaming word surrounding those features.
"Look here's a phrase for you that someone I worked for once gave me which is, 'if you do things first you do it for your customer, if you do it second you do it for yourself'. What I'm most pleased with is that we've had an agenda for a long time now and all we've done is stick to our agenda. So it is tremendously rewarding that your agenda appeals to the people we most want to appeal to and that we don't have to change, we just keep focused, we keep going the way we were going for many many months and years now, certainly as we've clarified details we've changed not a thing."

In our view the DualShock 4 pad is a big step forward

It seems logical that while the PlayStation 4 will launch for 349/$399 without the camera, that doesn't preclude Sony and retailers putting together bundles that includes other items such as the Camera or PS Vita for a higher price. Gara didn't confirm any specific bundles but did indicate they are on the way.

"We're talking to retail about bundles but of course we don't need to formally create bundles so they're in the one box necessarily, the way UK retail is it's quite flexible really so we can create soft bundles as we call them. But it's great to see that the retailers are hungry for these kind of conversations, they're seeing the potential. They want to talk to us and the PS4 and Vita devices put together is not a huge amount more than the PlayStation 3 was when we launched that."

Word from retailers thus far has been that the PS4 is well ahead on pre-orders, and Gara confirmed he was hearing the same information.
"Based on feedback yes [we are ahead on pre-orders]. But what we say as a team is that we've had a good few weeks but we're in for the long game. So lets be satisfied but lets keep our heads down, keep focused and realise that it's a long game so success is not realised way before launch. It's a good start but there's much much much more to go."
To end the interview, we asked Gara what pledges he could make to gamers that the PS4 would remain the console to have in the long term.

"I think the last 20 years shows that we're in it for the long haul! There's more to be revealed around services and what else is going to come with the package you know, when it launches and what more can people expect so we'll go into more detail about that probably around about Gamescom time so we won't go into that today but take it from me, we designed the machine for the long haul."
We went hands-on with the PS4 at London's PlayStation Summer showcase on July 4th. See how we got on:

Sony: PS4 is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived | News | TechRadar

I couldn't make this #### up if I tried!

They are going to call me HDBeatz again > Sony: PS4 is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived big PS4 announcements coming at Gamescom - Photo posted in BX GameSpot | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Latest Games Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

129 comments for "Sony: PS4 is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived big PS4 announcements coming at Gamescom"

07-05-2013, 11:25 AMaway - #2
ShintaX 79 heat pts79

d 
space
$1,397 | POWERFUL
 07-05-2013, 11:31 AMaway - #3
moe4484 3 heat pts

d 
space
$5,580 | POWERFUL
Wait so SONY said the PS4 is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived? This changes everything since this is obviously coming from a company that has no bias as far as video game consoles Im gonna jump ship to the PS4!!!!!!!!!!

07-05-2013, 11:41 AMaway - #4
link04 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$5,277 | POWERFUL
my nicca just popped a bottle with the dual shock 4

07-05-2013, 11:43 AMonline - #5
CrunchTime CDN 272 heat pts272

d 
space
$5,457 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by link04
my nicca just popped a bottle with the dual shock 4

That #### Cray!

07-05-2013, 11:49 AMaway - #6
Greece 7 heat pts

d 
space
$3,536 | 12896944
Why wouldn't it be though...like why would a company not make it's nextgen device more powerful than the last?
 07-05-2013, 11:57 AMaway - #7
King Jackson 70 heat pts70

d 
space
$4,281 | POWERFUL
 07-05-2013, 12:02 PMaway - #8
KRCROOKSNY 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$4,024 | 18408679
I literally laugh and wonder what u muthafukkas look like when i see these threads.

As I wonder what kinda faces could be behind such pathetic antics..
 07-05-2013, 12:07 PMaway - #9
OG Killa 142 heat pts142

d 
space
$12,978 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by KRCROOKSNY
I literally laugh and wonder what u muthafukkas look like when i see these threads.

As I wonder what kinda faces could be behind such pathetic antics..
 07-05-2013, 12:15 PMaway - #10
Ctrllers 108 heat pts108

d 
space
$4,488 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by CrunchTime CDN
That #### Cray!

That gif is awesome.... aaaand useless, because they cut the camera to get a better price.
 07-05-2013, 12:15 PMaway - #11
ChevyBrah 200 heat pts200

d 
space
$11,960 | POWERFUL
HDBeatz
 07-05-2013, 12:17 PMaway - #12
moe4484 3 heat pts

d 
space
$5,580 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Ctrllers
That gif is awesome.... aaaand useless, because they cut the camera to get a better price.
Plus alot of the cats thats getting the PS dont want to "move around and ####" they just wanna chill while they play their games so really that #### is useless
 07-05-2013, 12:20 PMaway - #13
Ctrllers 108 heat pts108

d 
space
$4,488 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Mr I 95
yea if there was only some way you could go to a store and buy the camera
That everyone here claims to not want, but still gif.

Originally Posted by RP12
and still be 40 less than the competition
before purchasing a pay to play online requirement.
 07-05-2013, 12:33 PMaway - #14
coolio 43 heat pts43

d 
space
$15,975 | POWERFUL
 07-05-2013, 12:35 PMaway - #15
Jesszman 2161 heat pts2161

d 
space
$29,270 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by moe4484
Plus alot of the cats thats getting the PS dont want to "move around and ####" they just wanna chill while they play their games so really that #### is useless
wanted to sign in with my controller
 07-05-2013, 12:47 PMonline - #16
sm00vb0iiw0nder 4 heat pts

d 
space
$17,454 | POWERFUL
"Look here's a phrase for you that someone I worked for once gave me which is, 'if you do things first you do it for your customer, if you do it second you do it for yourself'. What I'm most pleased with is that we've had an agenda for a long time now and all we've done is stick to our agenda. So it is tremendously rewarding that your agenda appeals to the people we most want to appeal to and that we don't have to change, we just keep focused, we keep going the way we were going for many many months and years now, certainly as we've clarified details we've changed not a thing."

07-05-2013, 01:30 PMaway - #17
sigNN 8 heat pts

d 
space
$3,758 | 19865615
Originally Posted by sm00vb0iiw0nder

07-05-2013, 01:38 PMaway - #18
LicensedLegend 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$3,875 | 18599386

You need online to use the eye?
 07-05-2013, 01:41 PMaway - #19
Jesszman 2161 heat pts2161

d 
space
$29,270 | POWERFUL

That's still $50 cheaper.
 07-05-2013, 01:54 PMaway - #20
Krazie 91 heat pts91

d 
space
$25,294 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
That's still $50 cheaper.
Day One comes with a free year of gold.

$500 = X1, Kinect, 1 year XBL

$400 + $60 + $50 = $510 = PS4, PS Eye, 1 year PS+

That's what he meant.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Whats the worst movie you've ever watched?
76 comments
So, yeah.. a little worried about "The Order: 1886"
52 comments
Video inside  Madden Fan Drops $95 On Ultimate Team, Interrogated By..
69 comments
 Video inside The Truth About Beats By Dre!!! (mkbhd)
New reply 2 minutes ago - 142 comments - by calviiin
 Video inside Iggy Azalea...b*tch Was With Him Shooting In The Gym
New reply 16 minutes ago - 74 comments - by local celebrity
  Aug 30 - Did The Historical Jesus Exist? A Growing Num...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 154 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 NCAAF College Football Week 1: What Did We Learn This Weekend?
New reply 18 minutes ago - 85 comments - by CadillacVyse
  11 Year Old Rapper Releases Spaceghostpurrp Diss After...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 99 comments - by hayday12
 Image(s) inside Aug 30 - Florida Mother Hangs Up On Missing Child Call...
New reply 26 minutes ago - 59 comments - by BangEm904
 NBA Rondo Wants Out (macmullen)
New reply 15 minutes ago - 118 comments - by Jiraiya
 Image(s) inside Actors/actresses You Cant Stand
New reply 34 minutes ago - 117 comments - by italiansteve

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.