This is BX @ Boxden.com

Sony Japan tech potentially suppresses second-hand game sales

Sony Japan tech potentially suppresses second-hand game sales
topic by Da Ill One - 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

Maybe the rumors of PS 4 not playing used games is real...

The war against second hand game sales is well and truly underway, with Sony Japan supposedly taking the first steps to ensure that this generation of game re-selling dosen’t repeat itself in the next generation.

A patent application has surfaced for near field communication tech that essentially “tags” individual game copies. This means that once a game is tagged, it is then tied to it’s parent console and user account

The curious patent, originally spotted by NeoGAF, via CVG, describes the technology as such:

“According to the present embodiment, realized is the electronic content processing system that reliably restricts the use of electronic content dealt in the second-hand markets.” “As a result, the dealing of electronic content in the second-hand markets is suppressed, which in turn supports the redistribution of part of proceeds from sales of the electronic content to the developers.”

“Though in the following description a game application (AP) is exemplified as the electronic content, the present embodiment is similarly applicable to various kinds of electronic content such as an office suite, images, and music content.”

Patents get filed all the time, many of which fail to be realized. But this move is a real statement of intent from Sony. E3 will reveal all.

Source

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

61 comments for "Sony Japan tech potentially suppresses second-hand game sales"

01-03-2013, 09:08 AMaway - #2
Acid Rap 77 heat pts77

d 
space
$8,787 | POWERFUL
If this happened, I would be done with Sony. If Microsoft followed suit I wouldn't #### with them any more either.
 01-03-2013, 09:27 AMaway - #3
KURUPTION!!! 476 heat pts476

d 
space
$32,834 | POWERFUL
Nothing special, PC gamers have been dealing with this forever. Bull#### still. They're basically telling you what you can and can't do with something you bought. If that's the case I'll just go full on PC gaming then. Maybe an Xbox for the media ####, but I'll just game on PC. Games on the low via Steam out free through other channels

Originally Posted by Da Ill One
A patent application has surfaced for near field communication tech that essentially “tags” individual game copies. This means that once a game is tagged, it is then tied to it’s parent console and user account
What happens when that console dies?

Last edited by KURUPTION!!!; 01-03-2013 at 09:29 AM..
 01-03-2013, 09:35 AMaway - #4
EGO 50 heat pts50

d 
space
$29,332 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by KURUPTION!!!
Nothing special, PC gamers have been dealing with this forever. Bull#### still. They're basically telling you what you can and can't do with something you bought. If that's the case I'll just go full on PC gaming then. Maybe an Xbox for the media ####, but I'll just game on PC. Games on the low via Steam out free through other channels

This. Everything about controlling used games sales has been stupid thus far. This is why I hate big industry. There's always something that someone feels they have to do to #### up the status quo. In mobile, it's getting rid of unlimited data and locking down phones, and now in gaming it's trying to prevent used game sales. Seriously? These corporate di#kheads need to sit the #### down somewhere.
 01-03-2013, 09:38 AMaway - #5
Jesszman 2162 heat pts2162

d 
space
$29,273 | POWERFUL
it's tagged to the account
 01-03-2013, 09:42 AMaway - #6
Da Ill One|M 3534 heat pts3534

d 
space
$39,287 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
it's tagged to the account

console also
 01-03-2013, 09:46 AMaway - #7
KURUPTION!!! 476 heat pts476

d 
space
$32,834 | POWERFUL
Jessie acting like ni##as can't read.
 01-03-2013, 09:48 AMaway - #8

d 
space
$29,273 | POWERFUL
Yeah, I read that. this echoes earlier rumours albeit with a little difference. Those earlier rumors stated that it'd be tied to the account with an activation fee for used games. This will likely be the same case, tied to both the console and account, but if your console happens to fail, you can transfer ownership through some means to another console.
 01-03-2013, 09:58 AMaway - #9
coolio 43 heat pts43

d 
space
$15,986 | POWERFUL
i never buy used games so i couldnt care less, but this would put off alot of people if the game industry heads in this direction
 01-03-2013, 09:59 AMaway - #10
mystic boy 209 heat pts209

d 
space
$4,435 | POWERFUL
 01-03-2013, 10:19 AMaway - #11
DarkSidesHero 304 heat pts304

d 
space
$8,933 | POWERFUL
Can't blame these devs for wanting the money they should be getting. Everyone that's crying about this just needs to pick game that will be worth dropping money for. Is that so hard to do? On top of this devs know gamers will only buy games that are worth it thus basically forcing them to make quality games.
 01-03-2013, 10:21 AMaway - #12
EGO 50 heat pts50

d 
space
$29,332 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DarkSidesHero
Can't blame these devs for wanting the money they should be getting. Everyone that's crying about this just needs to pick game that will be worth dropping money for. Is that so hard to do? On top of this devs know gamers will only buy games that are worth it thus basically forcing them to make quality games.
What about games that are out of print? What about renting? What if I just want to take my disc over to a friend's house one day and don't want to bring my console? There's more to it than "well just buy new and pick wisely." Why are you so quick to just eat the bull#### that these companies want to feed you?
 01-03-2013, 10:55 AMaway - #13
One Gud Cide 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$8,502 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by KURUPTION!!!

there is no PC game in existence that is PC tied. SecuROM games have limited installs on different machines, but it's 5 and they'll give you more. tied to an account=/=system.
 01-03-2013, 11:15 AMaway - #14
Games Addict 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$1,309 | 0
this would be bull#### but at least I didn't have any intention of buying a PS4... as long as this thing can't be put on the Vita, then I'm good....
 01-03-2013, 11:58 AMaway - #15
dadon85 78 heat pts78

d 
space
$12,026 | POWERFUL
Sony learned from the psn game share . Craigslist, amazon, eBay, GameStop , etc. Sony want their money. 1st online codes now this . Next gen gaming is coming. I'll stick with this gen until they stop supporting it. Unless next gen blows me away I'm not touching it. Can't rent a game(will they go out of business) and can't take to a buddy house
 01-03-2013, 12:29 PMaway - #16
kaseemromani 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$2,318 | 17924941
lol sony cant be that stupid they wont implement this
 01-03-2013, 12:40 PMaway - #17
Da Ill One|M 3534 heat pts3534

d 
space
$39,287 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by kaseemromani
lol sony cant be that stupid they wont implement this
Rumor has it MS is going this route as well...
 01-03-2013, 12:40 PMaway - #18
MidNiteBlues 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$4,921 | POWERFUL
Been riding with Sony since the PS1, but if this is true and they really wanna implement this.....

Then its #### em and everyone who loves em.

Give me a damn reason to buy an xbox then.
 01-03-2013, 12:47 PMaway - #19
Soraci7 34 heat pts34

d 
space
$13,633 | POWERFUL
This doesnt affect me but maybe will force devs to make better games
 01-03-2013, 12:49 PMaway - #20

d 
space
$29,273 | POWERFUL
I don't see how you guys are coming to the conclusion that this means it'll force devs to make "better" games. Wouldn't this entice them to continue forward with the "copy COD" model since that's the only likely way they'll remain successful and recoup the development costs?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Sep 1 - Thirteen-Year-Old Boy Tried as Adult Because of Penis S..
50 comments
How much $ and what games have u bought on ur Next Gen Console?
52 comments
NFL Bills center Eric Wood says NFL teams are avoiding signi..
81 comments
 NBA Lakers Could Trade Julius Randle For Rajon Rondo
New reply 26 seconds ago - 58 comments - by italiansteve
 NFL Official Predict Your Squads Record Thread.
New reply 9 minutes ago - 103 comments - by SDC17
  Whats The Worst Movie You've Ever Watched?
New reply 57 seconds ago - 154 comments - by DominationCM
 NFL Rank The Qbs In Your Teams Division
New reply 19 minutes ago - 75 comments - by TalonPayne921
 Video inside I Slept With Your Boyfriend Prank
New reply 4 minutes ago - 54 comments - by Tuff Gong
  Aug 31 - Breaking: Celebrity Nude Leak
New reply 22 minutes ago - 393 comments - by AlienGod
 Article inside Drake Signs Ilovemakonnen To Ovo
New reply 8 minutes ago - 143 comments - by PotheadFocker
 NFL Alex Smith Got Paid
New reply 22 minutes ago - 66 comments - by all3rd

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.