This is BX @ Boxden.com

Sony announces New "Pre buy and load" game service

Sony announces New "Pre buy and load" game service
topic by Da Ill One - 05-16-2012, 11:46 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

While no release date has been listed for this service... Players will be able to pay for and download Sorcery before it is released, just like you can with Steam games. Then, on release day, the game will be unlocked for all to play.

When a fan asked if any other games will use this feature, Mike Adebajo from Sony replied on Twitter today saying, “Plenty more pretty big titles”.

- Techroid

Also listing another source just so people KNOW it's official

Whilst technically there’s no risk in waiting to buy a digital game when it comes out, SCEE have added a feature to the PSN Store today that allows users to “pre-order” a download.

Sorcery is the first game to offer this functionality – you can pay for the game now, download it, and then next week it’ll just magically (pun intended) unlock, letting you play the game.

Read our hands on with Sorcery here, but we’re also hearing that many other “big” titles will also be available to pre-order soon.

That’s pretty cool, in our opinion, and resembles the likes of Steam that offer the same kind of deal on the PC and Mac – it’s certainly something that’s exclusive on consoles just now anyway.

What do you think?

- TheSixthAccess

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

28 comments for "Sony announces New "Pre buy and load" game service"

05-16-2012, 12:28 PMonline - #2
quintosis03 2 heat pts

d 
space
$3,036 | 10371646
nice feature. that will have ease on the bandwidth of the sony servers as well.
 05-16-2012, 01:16 PMaway - #3
esneffoelgnairt 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$1,994 | POWERFUL
they any cheaper than retail ? If not Ill pass
 05-16-2012, 02:29 PMaway - #4
Jesszman 2139 heat pts2139

d 
space
$28,907 | POWERFUL
Sony taking downloading to the next level! (for them of course, steam already has this as the OP points out)

Sony better let Ghost Recon in on this, want to get home and start playing.
 05-16-2012, 02:34 PMaway - #5
el bundy 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$6,009 | POWERFUL
they did this with sf3:3rd strike except you had to dl it on the day it released instead of when you preorder it. i like this idea better though.
 05-16-2012, 02:43 PMaway - #6

d 
space
$28,907 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by el bundy
they did this with sf3:3rd strike except you had to dl it on the day it released instead of when you preorder it. i like this idea better though.
If I understand what you're talking about, then this is different. That was just pre-ordering, similar to how you could pre-order mass effect 3 on PSN. This is adding to that by allowing you to download it when you pre-order, then it downloads the small unlock code on release day.

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne
Oh hell. Sony already starting the Next Gen.
Eh, I wouldn't really consider this to be next gen since Steam users have been enjoying this luxury for quite some time, but it's good nonehtless.

DIO, you forgot to mention that this is currently EU PSN only.
 05-16-2012, 03:17 PMaway - #7
Triple0 

d 
space
$2,284 | 6362864
I never understood digital games. Why download the game for the same price as the real physical copy with a case and booklet that you can trade in and make money from it when you get bored? Makes zero sense.
 05-16-2012, 03:22 PMaway - #8
Krazie 89 heat pts89

d 
space
$24,718 | POWERFUL
 05-16-2012, 03:30 PMaway - #9

d 
space
$28,907 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Triple0
I never understood digital games. Why download the game for the same price as the real physical copy with a case and booklet that you can trade in and make money from it when you get bored? Makes zero sense.
Eh, some people like the conveniece, I know I prefer digital at launch so I can just switch games through the XMB, rather than get up and switch out discs.
 05-16-2012, 09:43 PMaway - #10
DiplomatMagic 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$5,372 | POWERFUL
i admit that is a pretty cool feature, but i hope this isnt the first step into digital only games, i will always prefer physical copies
 05-16-2012, 09:50 PMaway - #11

d 
space
$28,907 | POWERFUL
Sony already took that step when they decided to offer discounts on Vita games on PSN in addition to offering them day-one.
 05-16-2012, 11:29 PMaway - #12
LaRy BLanco 414 heat pts414

d 
space
$33,371 | POWERFUL
#### MICROSOFT IF THEY DONT DO THIS!!!!!!

this is a huge win for ps3 IMO
 05-17-2012, 04:34 AMaway - #13

d 
space
$28,907 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by LAwLB15
#### MICROSOFT IF THEY DONT DO THIS!!!!!!

this is a huge win for ps3 IMO
Microsoft probably won't do this, they aren't really pushing their DDL service anymore.
 05-17-2012, 05:56 AMaway - #14
faygo 

d 
space
$996 | 0
Originally Posted by Jesszman
Eh, some people like the conveniece, I know I prefer digital at launch so I can just switch games through the XMB, rather than get up and switch out discs.
lmao@ people that are willing to lose 100% value of a game they buy for the convenience of not having to get up and walk three feet to their console and lose five seconds of their life changing a disc.
 05-17-2012, 10:26 AMaway - #15

d 
space
$33,371 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by faygo
lmao@ people that are willing to lose 100% value of a game they buy for the convenience of not having to get up and walk three feet to their console and lose five seconds of their life changing a disc.
how are u losing 100% value??

I swear most of yall dont kno wtf ur talking bout

if I buy a game retail and my game gets stolen,I lose it or it breaks I would have to go out and rebuy it for the same damn price

where as ANYTHING U buy digitally can be redownloaded @ anytime as much times as u want.
Want to avoid redownloading it for future references? fine just copy it to ur flashdrive and make a backup on ur pc

and if u kno how to cheat the system like me buying anything digitally is like buying 2 for the price of 1

for example I have my own xbox and my little 13 y/o cuzin that lives next door from me has one I bought for him
every game/dlc I buy from the marketplace I purchase from MY gt on HIS xbox that way the digital license is on his xbox so he can play whatever was purchased on his xbox without having to be signed in with my gt (even works with season passes)
And I can play it on my xbox as long as im signed in with my gt which I am 100% of the time anyway

the best part is we can both be online playing the same game/dlc @ the same damn time that I purchased digitally and even if he got a new console I could easily do a license transfer which only takes 2 seconds

he never ever has to worry about buying a game/dlc for his 360

but if we both wanted to play a retail game @ the same time we would both have to have 2 different copies
 05-17-2012, 10:28 AMaway - #16
Da Ill One|M 3473 heat pts3473

d 
space
$38,679 | POWERFUL

if I buy a game retail and my game gets stolen,I lose it or it breaks I would have to go out and rebuy it for the same damn price

where as ANYTHING U buy digitally can be redownloaded @ anytime as much times as u want.
Want to avoid redownloading it for future references? fine just copy it to ur flashdrive and make a backup on ur pc

and if u kno how to cheat the system like me buying anything digitally is like buying 2 for the price of 1

for example I have my own xbox and my little 13 y/o cuzin that lives next door from me has one I bought for him
every game/dlc I buy from the marketplace I purchase from MY gt on HIS xbox that way the digital license is on his xbox so he can play whatever was purchased on his xbox without having to be signed in with my gt (even works with season passes)
And I can play it on my xbox as long as im signed in with my gt which I am 100% of the time anyway

the best part is we can both be online playing the same game/dlc @ the same damn time that I purchased digitally and even if he got a new console I could easily do a license transfer which only takes 2 seconds

but if we both wanted to play a retail game @ the same time we would both have to have 2 different copies
I think dude was talking about losing 100% value by not being able to sell it on Craigslit/Ebay or trading in... which you don't get 100% value anyway so yeah...

05-17-2012, 02:26 PMaway - #17
esneffoelgnairt 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$1,994 | POWERFUL

In all honesty how often does this actually happen to you ? and if you live somewhere this is a common thing you may want to consider saving the money your spending on games and move up a bit.

This is not an option when your internet is down, or your low on hdd space, or the network is down, or you have a bandwidth cap which happens more and more often.

Sony changed how this setup worked in one of the most recent terms of service and you can be god damn sure its going to be modified again for both ms and sony. I own 4 ps3's and I used to do the same thing with my kids and digital games. trust me all good things do come to and end.

I wrote #### in red, read it
 05-17-2012, 02:41 PMaway - #18

d 
space
$28,907 | POWERFUL
If your net has a bandwidth cap, you're worried about the network going down, or anything like that. Don't download, it's as simple as that. Those of us that aren't worried will be able to enjoy this convenience.
 05-17-2012, 03:58 PMaway - #19

d 
space
$33,371 | POWERFUL
In all honesty how often does this actually happen to you ? and if you live somewhere this is a common thing you may want to consider saving the money your spending on games and move up a bit.
my nba 2k12 (my most played game btw) recently broke from me taking it out the case, same with my gears of war 2... I ####ing hate when my games get stuck in the cases

Sony changed how this setup worked in one of the most recent terms of service and you can be god damn sure its going to be modified again for both ms and sony. I own 4 ps3's and I used to do the same thing with my kids and digital games. trust me all good things do come to and end.
well to be fair that whole post I made was about my 360 not my ps3

I rarely use my ps3 so I wasnt even aware sony did that psn gamers lost in that case...

This is not an option when your internet is down, or your low on hdd space, or the network is down, or you have a bandwidth cap which happens more and more often.
my internet is always up and I wont even play video games unless im online anyway (even if its for sp)I have fios so there is no cap and I have a 250gb hdd if I run low on space like I said b4 I could just copy my older games to a flashdrive and back it up on my pc or just redownload it, but with a 250gb space isnt ever an issue for me

and for people that have a bandwidth cap whats the difference between downloading a full game and downloading a whole bunch of demos,dlc's and arcade games?
and doesnt playing mp games even effect ur bandwidth cap also??

maybe u should just change ur internet provider

digital>>>>>

and selling/trading in games is overrated, u buy that shyt for $60 and sell it back for 7 bucks ####outtahere
 05-17-2012, 04:03 PMaway - #20

d 
space
$33,371 | POWERFUL
and M$ wont ever remove license transferring, they even made it better since last yr

b4 u could only transfer ur license every 12 months, now u can do it every 3

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Jul 23 - Meet the 19-year-old Chicago teen who may cu..
66 comments
Image inside  Images of Ben Afleck's Costume In Full Color from Bat..
55 comments
Video inside  "NBA Street Vol. 2" Repped for the Old School.
56 comments
 Image(s) inside Bx You Smashing Or Not???
New reply 32 seconds ago - 133 comments - by tokinjohn
 Image(s) inside Damn Medium Sean That Bi-ch Broke Up With You 3 Months...
New reply 20 minutes ago - 102 comments - by CrunchTime CDN
 Image(s) inside Soulja Boy Caught Flexin'
New reply 1 minute ago - 197 comments - by SeattleWon
 NBA Dan Lebatard Mini Rant ( Lebron )
New reply 23 minutes ago - 138 comments - by El Heat Index
 NFL Russell Wilson And Tom Brady Has The Same Rating On Ma...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 81 comments - by Kingpin 313
 NBA Derrick Rose Is Back. Can't Wait. Must See Video
New reply 27 minutes ago - 102 comments - by MikeJones212
 NBA Chicago Bulls Are Offering Doug Mcdermott, Taj Gibson ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 132 comments - by theFREAK
 Image(s) inside Rare 2pac X Kanye X Jay-z Pictures You've Probably Nev...
New reply 43 minutes ago - 52 comments - by Avon_Barksdale

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.