Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
233 viewing
 Strip Club Brawl: Meek Mill smacks Floyd Mayweather in head with glass bottle ..
51 comments
most viewed right now
191 viewing
 Aug 3 - Will Smith & Jada Pinkett Smith’s $240 Million Divorce
20 comments

top in section
59 viewing
 Image inside :mjlol: Double Standards Are a Mothafu-ka
top in wild'ish
top in section
22 viewing
 Video inside Funny as fu-k dude plays Bloodborne without any Dark Souls experience
top in games

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc
Unread 2 years agoclass of '06 - away - #1
9713 pageviews
105 comments

coolio 57 heat pts57 space
space
$18,376 | POWERFUL
Rockstar has warned Xbox 360 gamers not to install the Grand Theft Auto 5 "play" disc.

On Xbox 360 the openworld game comes on two discs: one mandatory "install" disc and one "play" disc, both around 8GB in size. It's a similar situation to Forza 4, which also shipped on two discs on Xbox 360.

Prospective GTA5 owners - some of which already have the game as a result of early shipping from Amazon.co.uk - might have wanted to install both discs, but Rockstar recommends against it.

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc," tweeted Rockstar Support.

Then, "An 8GB install is required. For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc."

Rockstar has promised more information soon. For now, the upshot is, with GTA5 on Xbox 360, you have to install disc one but run disc two from the drive.

UPDATE 1: Digital Foundry, which has access to the Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto 5, has offered an explanation for Rockstar's recommendation against installing the "play" disc.

"Rockstar recommends that you shouldn't install the GTA5 play disc on Xbox 360 and it's sound advice," Digital Foundry chief Richard Leadbetter said.

"When you first get the game, the first order of business is installing the mandatory content from disc one - this accounts for 7.7GB of data to install on your hard drive. Now, there's absolutely nothing stopping you installing disc two - the 'play' disc - onto the hard drive too, using the Xbox 360's dashboard to do so. It takes up an additional 7.8GB of storage. However, doing so impacts the game's ability to stream texture data, resulting in regular pop-in of in-game objects and textures.

"So what's the story here? Well, optimal streaming is achieved by making us of all the available bandwidth in the system. Why stream just from the hard drive when you can run in data simultaneously from both the disc and the HDD? Based on what we're seeing on the Xbox 360 version, perhaps running both DVD and HDD a.ssets from just the one source slows down access times, impacting streaming performance. It's not game-breaking stuff, but it does take you out of the moment when it does manifest and for that reason we can't recommend installing the play disc.

"GTA5 isn't available for digital delivery on Xbox Live, but we are curious what the impact - if any - will be on the PS3 version, as that is available as a PSN download. The Digital Foundry Face-Off - due tomorrow morning at 11am - is based on comparison of the two retail disc versions of the game."

UPDATE 2: Digital Foundry has created a new video, below, that shows why it's best Xbox 360 gamers follow Rockstar's advice and not install the Grand Theft Auto 5 "play" disc.

Source: Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc • News • Xbox 360 • Eurogamer.net
3 peeps gave props to coolio hockeythug (09-16-2013) , LaRy BLanco (09-16-2013) , hot topic  (09-16-2013)

105 comments for "Rockstar warns: don't install GTA5 Xbox 360 "play" disc"

- To post a comment, join the squad -

Unread 2 years agoclass of '05 - away - #2
scarface622 4 heat pts space
I get high
space
$1,221 | 4137867
anybody that has it already know how long the install takes?
Unread 2 years agoclass of '07 - away - #3
KoolBreeze 6 heat pts space
Lookin for the chewin
space
$4,483 | POWERFUL
i didnt read the whole thing but why would they even give the option if it can fu*k with gameplay?
Unread 2 years agoclass of '11 - away - #4
LakeHawks 101 heat pts101 space
KB24.RS25
space
$12,992 | POWERFUL
Only thing i got from that "Amazon.co.uk" ships early

Noted and documented....Will be looking for them next big release
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #5
EGO 55 heat pts55 space
Mr. Yea, I Said it!
space
$30,061 | POWERFUL
KoolBreeze said:
i didnt read the whole thing but why would they even give the option if it can fu*k with gameplay?
Maybe you should read before asking stupid questions. They don't give the option. Installing discs is a feature of the Xbox 360 platform as a whole -- Rockstar has no control over this. People can install the game if they want, whether Rockstar wants them to or not.

It's worthy to note that this is not really anything too surprising. Some games simply perform worse when installed, as odd as that may seem. No big deal, just follow the advice and keep it moving.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #6
EGO 55 heat pts55 space
Mr. Yea, I Said it!
space
$30,061 | POWERFUL
Pierced Talentz said:
Only thing i got from that "Amazon.co.uk" ships early

Noted and documented....Will be looking for them next big release
That's for people who actually live in places served by Amazon.co.uk. They got the game one day early because they ship on Saturday and Royal Mail delivered it a day early. If you order a game from Amazon.co.uk it will not come early in the US. In fact, it won't even be there on release date.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '11 - away - #7
LakeHawks 101 heat pts101 space
KB24.RS25
space
$12,992 | POWERFUL
e G o Maniac said:
That's for people who actually live in places served by Amazon.co.uk. They got the game one day early because they ship on Saturday and Royal Mail delivered it a day early. If you order a game from Amazon.co.uk it will not come early in the US. In fact, it won't even be there on release date.
*Throws down magic card*
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #8
Tikyle2 3 heat pts space
Mufasa of BoXden
space
$3,996 | 12766447
I immediately noticed this when I started playing on Saturday. The pop in was terrible. I always install everything on my 360 HDD and this is the 1st time it backfired. I'm debating whether or not I just want to deal with it or have to listen to that turbine engine 360 DVD drive while playing.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '07 - away - #9
Flawless Image 20 heat pts20 space
BXSC 2013 Pick Em Champ
space
$12,012 | POWERFUL
this makes me wonder if the digital version will have problems

i was thinkin bout waiting for the digital version which will probably be on GoD in the next 2 weeks since i got all this extra cash on my account.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #10
Tron Carter 22 heat pts22 space
Chill.
space
$3,024 | 17871763
My XBox sucks and I have to usually install games cause my disc drive sucks.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '07 - on now - #11
CadillacVyse 568 heat pts568 space
space
$19,709 | POWERFUL
Anyone know how big GTA online will be? I gotta go buy a fu*kin flash drive cuz my 360 is only 4gbs. I may cop the 8gb if that will be enough but if igotta get a 16 gb then thats cool too.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #12
EGO 55 heat pts55 space
Mr. Yea, I Said it!
space
$30,061 | POWERFUL
CadillacVyse said:
Anyone know how big GTA online will be? I gotta go buy a fu*kin flash drive cuz my 360 is only 4gbs. I may cop the 8gb if that will be enough but if igotta get a 16 gb then thats cool too.
You'll definitely want to go for a 16GB. It's not that much more expensive than an 8GB. Some good deals online.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #13
ddash 1 heat pts space
space
$19,533 | POWERFUL
Man I aint got space for this sh*t.

son of a motherfu*king bi*ches
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #14
Tikyle2 3 heat pts space
Mufasa of BoXden
space
$3,996 | 12766447
CadillacVyse said:
No but GTA V has a mandatory install of 7.8GB and if you want to install disc 2 (which is the "play" disc) that is another 7.8GB so in total 15.6GB for all you non mathematicians out there. If your disc drive is good I would NOT install disc 2 but I believe disc 1 is MANDATORY, I don't know if you can play the game w/o having it installed.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #15
#KNICKSLOST 208 heat pts208 space
#KNICKSLOST
space
$20,551 | POWERFUL
ddash said:
Man I aint got space for this sh*t.

son of a motherfu*king bi*ches
Just throw in a USB stick, thats what I did
Unread 2 years agoclass of '08 - away - #16
The N 214 heat pts214 space
99 'Til Eternity
space
$31,697 | POWERFUL
Yes this is a 10/10 experience

Unread 2 years agoclass of '10 - away - #17
Joehook 3 heat pts space
space
$7,195 | POWERFUL
ps3 won
Unread 2 years agoclass of '05 - away - #18
HiRolliN 106 heat pts106 space
E+WEED+BREW=WHOA
space
$16,439 | POWERFUL
e G o Maniac said:
You'll definitely want to go for a 16GB. It's not that much more expensive than an 8GB. Some good deals online.
it has to be a 16gb usb drive for the install anywayz because the the actual capacity i like 7.4gb with a so called 8gb drive.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '07 - away - #19
KoolBreeze 6 heat pts space
Lookin for the chewin
space
$4,483 | POWERFUL
e G o Maniac said:
Maybe you should read before asking stupid questions. They don't give the option. Installing discs is a feature of the Xbox 360 platform as a whole -- Rockstar has no control over this. People can install the game if they want, whether Rockstar wants them to or not.

It's worthy to note that this is not really anything too surprising. Some games simply perform worse when installed, as odd as that may seem. No big deal, just follow the advice and keep it moving.
no such thing as stupid questions

so you can install every 360 game on a hard drive which in turn can fu*k up gameplay....makes sense
Unread 2 years agoclass of '11 - away - #20
Jesszman 2203 heat pts2203 space
space
$29,823 | POWERFUL
The N said:
Yes this is a 10/10 experience

KoolBreeze said:
no such thing as stupid questions

so you can install every 360 game on a hard drive which in turn can fu*k up gameplay....makes sense

Home > all sections > BX GameSpot

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
53 viewing
Video inside I'm done...even Trinidadians are clowning Meek Mill
89 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
49 viewing
Well damn, Potent dj drama/meek/drake tea via lipstickalley
454 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
48 viewing
Audio inside Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion & Antic..
161 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
21 viewing
Image inside Seen Too Much Money In Just 2 Days
34 comments
@rides
most viewed right now
19 viewing
Image inside Aug 2 - Trump Says Americans Won’t Vote 4 Another Black President b/c ..
111 comments
@news
most viewed right now
19 viewing
Video inside Well Damn Dre got this whiteboy featured on 3 tracks of upcoming album ..
75 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
17 viewing
Video inside Would you climb this tower for a Billion dollars?
62 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
16 viewing
Image inside OVOFest The Official Potential Meek Mill Burial Anticipation Thread 8/..
129 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
14 viewing
Image inside Somebody stop Drake now.
93 comments
@hiphop

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time