b o x d e n     |     hiphop     sports     wild'ish     games     movies     news     eyecandy     tech     gear     rides  
trending now     hot topics today     all sections     videos     pics     tracks     headlines  

Playstation 3 the final hack? Console is Fully open now

Playstation 3 the final hack? Console is Fully open now
topic by Da Ill One - 10-23-2012, 09:11 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

Sony is waking up to a new PlayStation 3 security nightmare after a day in which a brand new, PSN-enabled custom firmware was released for hacked consoles, swiftly followed up by publication of the console's LV0 decryption keys - which some say blows the system wide open.

We've been here before of course. Over two years ago, the first piracy-enabling firmware and USB dongle combo - PSJailbreak was released, which exploited a weakness in the PS3's USB protocols, allowing for the system software to be patched in order to run copied software running from hard disk. This was followed up some time later by the release of tools from hacker group fail0verflow, which allowed users to encrypt files for the system in the same way that Sony does, allowing for a new wave of piracy. Geohot's public release of the "metldr" root key also added to the challenges facing Sony, resulting in a messy legal battle.

The firm's response - firmware 3.60 - plugged many of the holes, neatly working around the entire root key problem, and even with the release of the new custom firmware, any console running system software 3.60 or higher is effectively locked out. Only hacked consoles, or those still running 3.55 or lower can run the new code unless expensive, difficult-to-install hardware downgrade devices are utilised on older hardware.

Despite the effectiveness of firmware 3.60, PS3 has still had to contend with piracy issues, notably the JB2/TrueBlue dongle, but this hack still locked consoles to 3.55 and stopped compromised consoles gaining access to PSN - until recently at least, where the "passphrase" security protocol protecting PSN was leaked, giving hacked consoles full access to the service.

The release of the new custom firmware - and the LV0 decryption keys in particular - poses serious issues. While Sony will almost certainly change the PSN passphrase once again in the upcoming 4.30 update, the reveal of the LV0 key basically means that any system update released by Sony going forward can be decrypted with little or no effort whatsoever. Options Sony has in battling this leak are limited - every PS3 out there needs to be able to decrypt any firmware download package in order for the console to be updated (a 2006 launch PS3 can still update directly to the latest software). The release of the LV0 key allows for that to be achieved on PC, with the CoreOS and XMB files then re-encrypted using the existing 3.55 keys in order to be run on hacked consoles.

So just how did LV0 come to be released at all? The original hackers who first found the master key - calling themselves "The Three Tuskateers" - apparently sat on its discovery for some time. However, the information leaked and ended up being the means by which a new Chinese hacking outfit - dubbed "BlueDiskCFW" planned to charge for and release new custom firmware updates. To stop these people profiteering from their work, the "Muskateers" released the LV0 key and within 24 hours, a free CFW update was released.

"You can be sure that if it wouldn't have been for this leak, this key would never have seen the light of day, only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now," a statement from the hacker group says

- Eurogamer

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

81 comments for "Playstation 3 the final hack? Console is Fully open now"

10-23-2012, 09:30 AMaway - #2
DOM 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$7,528 | POWERFUL
Oh wow another #### on Playstation thread and here they come....

Last edited by DOM; 10-23-2012 at 09:39 AM..
 10-23-2012, 09:39 AMaway - #3
Da Ill One|M 3636 heat pts3636

d 
space
$40,220 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DominationCM
Oh wow another #### on Playstation thread and here they come
this isn't a #### on Playstation thread...this is a news thread...just happens it's about PS...
 10-23-2012, 09:40 AMonline - #4
Itzike 

d 
space
$2,332 | 6221946
i remember my hacked ps3. had my roommates and my homies goin bananas playin all the new games that was comin out. i need to hack a 360 or somethin.
 10-23-2012, 09:42 AMaway - #5
DOM 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$7,528 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Da Ill One
this isn't a #### on Playstation thread...this is a news thread...just happens it's about PS...
I believe you actually believe that

you and this other dude are so much alike now

Well not to derail your thread so let me go ahead and post something....

Sony takes another L
 10-23-2012, 09:45 AMaway - #6

d 
space
$40,220 | POWERFUL
I believe you actually believe that

you and this other dude are so much alike now

Well not to derail your thread so let me go ahead and post something....

Sony takes another L
Huh? what are you talking about? I post news as I see it...no matter if it's positive or negative about Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Or whoever...I didn't post a XBL live got hacked thread because their isn't one...
 10-23-2012, 09:45 AMaway - #7
ChevyBrah 204 heat pts204

d 
space
$12,429 | POWERFUL
Sony is waking up to a new PlayStation 3 security nightmare after a day in which a brand new, PSN-enabled custom firmware was released for hacked consoles, swiftly followed up by publication of the console's LV0 decryption keys - which some say blows the system wide open.
 10-23-2012, 09:46 AMaway - #8
DOM 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$7,528 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Da Ill One
Huh? what are you talking about? I post news as I see it...no matter if it's positive or negative about Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Or whoever...I didn't post a XBL live got hacked thread because their isn't one...
right I never said you was wrong I read your threads
 10-23-2012, 09:47 AMaway - #9

d 
space
$40,220 | POWERFUL
right I never said you was wrong I read your threads
Find a recent XBl live got hacked thread and post it... I'll wait
 10-23-2012, 09:55 AMaway - #10
The N 202 heat pts202

d 
space
$30,074 | POWERFUL
This is good for Sony, them new PS slims will sell out at Xmas

software sales will suffer but the Hardware will do good
 10-23-2012, 10:08 AMonline - #11
Ham Rove 2073 heat pts2073

d 
space
$37,782 | POWERFUL
jesus what has happened to the gamer section
 10-23-2012, 10:09 AMaway - #12

d 
space
$40,220 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NoTitleSince73
what do you mean?
 10-23-2012, 10:11 AMaway - #13
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72

d 
space
$15,340 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NoTitleSince73
Crazy how 2-3 ####s can ruin a section. Anyways about time they got a proper hack on the PS3. Sony will never stop it and they need to learn that.
 10-23-2012, 10:44 AMaway - #14
fatboi1 6 heat pts

d 
space
$3,287 | 12815376
Originally Posted by PhI|0z0pH3r
Crazy how 2-3 ####s can ruin a section. Anyways about time they got a proper hack on the PS3. Sony will never stop it and they need to learn that.
You the main one lol stay throwing mud when ps3 is mentioned here.
 10-23-2012, 10:55 AMonline - #15
TattooedMPsz 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$16,034 | POWERFUL
to the rescue
 10-23-2012, 11:19 AMonline - #16
HiRolliN 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$15,359 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by The N
This is good for Sony, them new PS slims will sell out at Xmas

software sales will suffer but the Hardware will do good
The hack still requires a console that previously had ofw 3.55 or lower so the new slims won't work with this latest hack.
 10-23-2012, 11:21 AMaway - #17
EGO 52 heat pts52

d 
space
$29,644 | POWERFUL
Let's back up for a second to f#ginationCM's post. I don't get how this is a #### on Playstation thread? If anything, I think many of us are happy about this. Sony has been diligent in securing the PS3 and this may be the one exploit that could eventually give us the freedom we want.

And "Xbots" are supposed to be the ones derailing threads
 10-23-2012, 04:53 PMaway - #18
Acid Rap 77 heat pts77

d 
space
$8,911 | POWERFUL
PS3 hacked again? LV0 keys leaked; CFW released?

The PlayStation 3 has been hacked before, originally with the PSJailbreak dongle and fail0verflow, but Sony managed to f!ght back with Firmware 3.60 which managed to ingeniously resecure the console. Now, however, the PS3′s LV0 keys have been released, which allegedly means that no matter what Sony puts in its next firmware upgrade, hacking it will be very easy, similar to how it was on the PSP. This means that switching to CFW will be far simpler, something that primarily leads to piracy.

A group known as The Three Musketeers claim to have been the ones to have discovered the keys, but apparently weren’t planning to release them. Somehow, however, the keys leaked and were used by a Chinese hacking group to release BlueDiskCFW – which they charged for (this has since been hacked as well). The Three Musketeers, angry at someone trying to profit off of their work, then released the keys publicly, leading to a CFW anyone can download. The group detailed their announcement in a statement (nb: edited to remove keys):

As this was a group effort, we wouldn’t normally have lost a word about it ever, but as we’re done with PS3 now anyways, we think it doesn’t matter anymore. Congratulations to the guy that leaked stuff, you, sir, are a 1337 haxx0r, jk, you’re an ####.

People should know that crooked personalities are widespread in this so called ‘scene’. Some people try to achieve something for fun together and make the wrong decision to trust others and share their results with them, but ofc there got to be the attention seeking fame wh*** that has to leak stuff to feel a little bit better about him-/herself. Now the catch is that it works like this in every ‘scene’, just that in others it usually doesn’t come to light.The only sad thing is, that the others who worked on this won’t get the attention they deserve because they probably want to remain anonymous (also they don’t care about E-fame <3).

PS: This is neither about drama nor E-fame nor ‘OMG WE HAZ BEEN FIRST’, we just thought you should know that we’re disappointed in certain people. You can be sure that if it wouldn’t have been for this leak, this key would never have seen the light of day, only the fear of our work being used by others to make money out of it has forced us to release this now.

- The Three Musketeers
Sony has yet to comment on the hack – and likely won’t – but do you think that this could lead to a surge in piracy on the beloved black box? Let us know in the comments below.

Anybody know anything else about this? I wouldn't mind using one of my systems for a CFW. I put the ?'s in the title because this is the first I've seen of this.
 10-23-2012, 04:59 PMaway - #19
warning 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$619 | 8145762
nah its not hacked, its just a spoof of 4.2x...you would still need to be on 3.5x to install cfw
 10-23-2012, 05:02 PMaway - #20
duval88 3 heat pts

d 
space
$5,148 | 19955105

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Best Buy Black Friday online started, Gamestops too
74 comments
NFL Ray Rice Has Won His Appeal
50 comments
NCAAF CFB Week 14 Thread #RivalryWeekAndPlayoffs
79 comments
 Image(s) inside Bizzy Bone Posts Pic Of "notorious Thugs" St...
New reply 47 seconds ago - 52 comments - by The Bully
 Video inside Star Wars: Episode Vii - The Force Awakens (official T...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 80 comments - by Grimm
 Image(s) inside Tyler The Creator Disses Eminem/shadyxv
New reply 59 seconds ago - 57 comments - by mdemaz
 Image(s) inside Congrats To Young Thug And His New Fiancé @yeahlano!
New reply 16 minutes ago - 76 comments - by keejee
 NBA Melo Feeling Regretful : "chicago Was The Perfect...
New reply 1 minute ago - 56 comments - by theFREAK
  Q-tip Announces Lil Wayne Has Joined The Zulu Nation
New reply 21 minutes ago - 77 comments - by Danny M
 Video inside Nov 27 - New Video Footage Of Darrien Hunt, 22 Yr Old ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 64 comments - by Ham Rove
 Video inside Nov 26 - Cleveland Police Officer Shot Tamir Rice Imme...
New reply 31 minutes ago - 130 comments - by CrunchTime CDN

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,865 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,815 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.