This is BX @ Boxden.com


Path of Exile; alternative to Diablo 3?


 Path of Exile; alternative to Diablo 3?
topic by Zaosyn - 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot


Things That Will Likely k!ll You In PoE - YouTube

People really sucking this game off > Path of Exile; alternative to Diablo 3? - Photo posted in BX GameSpot | Sign in and leave a comment below! my bro downloaded it, it's free to play and is in open beta. Downloading it now to see what it's about


Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

9 comments for "Path of Exile; alternative to Diablo 3?"


 01-24-2013, 10:16 AMonline - #2
Msirae Faythung 117 heat pts117

  d 
space
$3,762 | POWERFUL
I downloaded it earlier, from what I've played so far it seems ok, I'm a Torchlight fan and it feels more RPG than Torchlight, it's also darker and less colorful.
 01-24-2013, 10:46 PMaway - #3
ecomog 75 heat pts75

  d 
space
$2,705 | POWERFUL
Currently playing both Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 but this looks rather interesting. I might have to check it out
 01-24-2013, 11:15 PMaway - #4
TheKastOne 

  d 
space
$1,466 | 1957541
Originally Posted by ecomog
Currently playing both Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 but this looks rather interesting. I might have to check it out
D3 got old quick with the initial level cap and super duper rare drops.
 01-25-2013, 12:31 AMonline - #5
I'm The Dan 5 heat pts

  d 
space
$10,228 | POWERFUL
It's a really fun game. I was in closed beta for a long time. I was waiting for open beta because they aren't doing anymore character wipes.

It's a "Diablo" game, but there truly are different aspects to the game. First, there aren't skills like a traditional diablo game. You use skill gems that are socketed into items that you use. Then there are support gems that support the skill(s) you have socketed into the items you use. For example, you can get a bad a$s socketed weapon where you put a FIREBALL gem in there, but then add FASTER PROJECTILES and CHAIN (I forget the exact name) support gems. What this does is turn your normal fireball into a fireball that shoots much faster AND will chain (think chain lightning for D2). That's just one example of many different combinations that people use.

The other vastly different part is the skill tree. Instead of traditional skill points (or lack there of in D3) you get a skill tree. People call it a spider web or whatever, but basically, there's 100s of points that you can invest into to make your character the way you want him to be. There are things like faster attack speed, more hp, more mana, ect... but then there are KEYSTONES where you gain special abilities. One that I liked (it just got nerfed when it went to OB) was Chaos Innoculation. It made you immune to Chaos damage (a damage in the game that pierces your armor and !!), set your health to 1, gave you an extra 50% energy shield (just like a life pool, but it's called energy shield) and made your health work off of energy shield. It was great for a lot of builds because you could stack energy shield and make some OP characters. They nerfed it though, so I don't think it'll be as good.

The items in the game are really cool as well. The uniques are good. The rares are very good as well. They have a really cool crafting system that allows you to reroll items and make them better. They do not have a currency (like gold) but instead they use the crafting items as a currency. There are orbs like the Regal Orb that are worth quite a bit. There's another one called the Mirror or something like that (I never found one) that allows you to duplicate an item. They are rare and Godly to where you can literally get anything in the game with it. They added new things called Maps that are more end-game !! to where you can open this Map and go to higher leveled areas to find loot. They actually come with little things like "Armor is half effective and double frost damage"... basically, the harder they sound, the better the loot you can find.

Overall, a very fun game. I'm going to play it again once I fix my computer. It's different enough to peak your interest if you're looking for a 'diablo' game and are fed up with D3.
 01-25-2013, 01:31 AMaway - #6
TreZ 3 heat pts

  d 
space
$6,821 | 16469777
I just been doing hc on torchlight 2 fkn !! up lol
 01-25-2013, 04:36 PMonline - #7
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

  d 
space
$13,087 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by I'm The Dan
It's a really fun game. I was in closed beta for a long time. I was waiting for open beta because they aren't doing anymore character wipes.

It's a "Diablo" game, but there truly are different aspects to the game. First, there aren't skills like a traditional diablo game. You use skill gems that are socketed into items that you use. Then there are support gems that support the skill(s) you have socketed into the items you use. For example, you can get a bad a$s socketed weapon where you put a FIREBALL gem in there, but then add FASTER PROJECTILES and CHAIN (I forget the exact name) support gems. What this does is turn your normal fireball into a fireball that shoots much faster AND will chain (think chain lightning for D2). That's just one example of many different combinations that people use.

The other vastly different part is the skill tree. Instead of traditional skill points (or lack there of in D3) you get a skill tree. People call it a spider web or whatever, but basically, there's 100s of points that you can invest into to make your character the way you want him to be. There are things like faster attack speed, more hp, more mana, ect... but then there are KEYSTONES where you gain special abilities. One that I liked (it just got nerfed when it went to OB) was Chaos Innoculation. It made you immune to Chaos damage (a damage in the game that pierces your armor and !!), set your health to 1, gave you an extra 50% energy shield (just like a life pool, but it's called energy shield) and made your health work off of energy shield. It was great for a lot of builds because you could stack energy shield and make some OP characters. They nerfed it though, so I don't think it'll be as good.

The items in the game are really cool as well. The uniques are good. The rares are very good as well. They have a really cool crafting system that allows you to reroll items and make them better. They do not have a currency (like gold) but instead they use the crafting items as a currency. There are orbs like the Regal Orb that are worth quite a bit. There's another one called the Mirror or something like that (I never found one) that allows you to duplicate an item. They are rare and Godly to where you can literally get anything in the game with it. They added new things called Maps that are more end-game !! to where you can open this Map and go to higher leveled areas to find loot. They actually come with little things like "Armor is half effective and double frost damage"... basically, the harder they sound, the better the loot you can find.

Overall, a very fun game. I'm going to play it again once I fix my computer. It's different enough to peak your interest if you're looking for a 'diablo' game and are fed up with D3.
This is a great post and explains the game and what makes it different very well, the things that make it different really work well and feel fresh. The customization in this game is incredible, I don't feel obliged to follow 1 build or some cookie cutter !!, I feel like this game you can be successful with alot of different builds and play styles.

I'm level 11 Marauder (basically tanky and strong like a traditional Warrior class) and I'm having alot of fun. I feel like when you get a nice drop in this game it feels rewarding. Where in Diablo 3, early game anyways, I was replacing alot of my gear every 10 minutes. In this game when an uncommon item drops it actually is surprising and means something.
 01-25-2013, 06:42 PMonline - #8
I'm The Dan 5 heat pts

  d 
space
$10,228 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Zaosyn
This is a great post and explains the game and what makes it different very well, the things that make it different really work well and feel fresh. The customization in this game is incredible, I don't feel obliged to follow 1 build or some cookie cutter !!, I feel like this game you can be successful with alot of different builds and play styles.

I'm level 11 Marauder (basically tanky and strong like a traditional Warrior class) and I'm having alot of fun. I feel like when you get a nice drop in this game it feels rewarding. Where in Diablo 3, early game anyways, I was replacing alot of my gear every 10 minutes. In this game when an uncommon item drops it actually is surprising and means something.
Yeah, when I fix my computer, I am going to start a Shadow. There was a very fun guide on the forums that made a Shadow ridiculously fun to play. It was built around lightning strike and flicker. The problem was that used Chaos Innoculation. I just found a new guide that is basically the same play style, but the guy switched it over to a HP/Armor build instead of Energy Shield.

The Marauder was the first guy I ever made. I made a tank as well. It was fun, but melee is underpowered in the game. They'll eventually fix it, but right now casting and range is at a vastly superior peak. I may try a traditional ranger and just go full bow, but I get bored with these characters. You could also go Bowmara, though. They rely on strength. There is a passive that coverts all your STR to.. (i forget exactly, but basically, it just makes it so your strength is used for bows).
 01-26-2013, 06:19 PMaway - #9
BadIntentionz 4 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,961 | 7907296
ahhhh downloading it right now!

Last edited by BadIntentionz; 01-26-2013 at 06:22 PM..
 01-26-2013, 08:56 PMaway - #10
HiRolliN 99 heat pts99

  d 
space
$13,711 | POWERFUL
hmm gonna have to check this out. diablo 3 was all good until the real money auction house came into the game.
 
 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Actual Iggy Azalea
122 comments
Image inside  Thick Vietnamese chick named Kandy...
74 comments
Image inside  Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look
80 comments
 Image(s) inside Lupita Nyong'o Named People Magazine's 'most Beautiful'
New reply 4 minutes ago - 111 comments - by SM
 NBA Nba-who Is The Most Overrated All Time Great?
New reply 7 minutes ago - 327 comments - by JordanWest86
 Article inside Lil Boosie Will Be Releasing His Next Album July 15th,...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 71 comments - by SM
 NBA Bradley Beal Says Fu-k Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
New reply 8 minutes ago - 132 comments - by bridouble
 Image(s) inside This Girls Dad Came Out Of Nowhere (gif)
New reply 6 minutes ago - 68 comments - by Aleandroid
  Worst Movie Endings
New reply 10 minutes ago - 110 comments - by tre0624
 Video inside Video Of Bleached Up Dancehall Dj Vybz Kartel’s Allege...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 60 comments - by ajeana
  Top 10 Wealthiest Pro Wrestlers Of All Time
New reply 10 minutes ago - 72 comments - by bridouble

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,711 fans of BX | none new today 4,651 following and 3 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.