This is BX @ Boxden.com

Need advice for a gaming headset

Need advice for a gaming headset
topic by EGO - 06-25-2012, 11:01 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

I'm tired of these piece of #### Miicrosoft headphones that always seem to break on me as soon as the warranty ends. I've gone through maybe 3 wireless ones in the past year and a half, and countless wired ones. I've concluded that these cheap pieces of #### are not right for those who play games a lot, so I'm willing to pay a lot more for better quality.

I was looking at either the Turtle Beach EarForce XP500 or Astro A40 Wireless since they're wireless and I don't want the burden of having another 2-3 cables added into my already messy cabling job. I want high-end headsets with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio. Couldn't really care less about the simulated 7.1 but it's a nice bonus that I can appreciate.

Comfort is another thing that I am taking into account. Some days these would be on my head for hours and I know some of these headsets have the tendency to squeeze on your skull.

Also, I understand the XP500 are rechargeable while you're using them. Are the Astros the same way? This would be a necessity for me since I sometimes forget to plug my headset in from previous sessions (for instance, if I just pass out from drinking) and it would be nice to be able to use the device while charging it.

Let me know what y'all recommend BX!

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

12 comments for "Need advice for a gaming headset"

06-25-2012, 11:35 AMaway - #2
mhurricane266 

d 
space
$1,473 | 6444233
Well you seem like more of a hardcore gamer than I, but I have x12 with the dss2 processor and they are great IMO. Money isn't an issue for you so look long and hard at the Astros just from reviews I read. I bought triton 720s but didn't really enjoy it, there was too much bass for my liking. I don't think you can go wrong with either of your first two choices though
 06-25-2012, 11:51 AMaway - #3
LakeHawks 89 heat pts89

d 
space
$12,682 | POWERFUL
With the astros ask yourself are you really read to spend $279 before tax (one year warranty, not many retailers if any carries them so returning is a ####)

Or with the XP500 i know best buy carries them and you can purchase a extended warranty

I was in the same boat and I said #### it and copped the Tritton AX 720
 06-25-2012, 01:13 PMaway - #4
el bundy 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$6,009 | POWERFUL
damn, 3 wireless headsets in a year and a half? the #### did you do to them? ive had the same one for 4 years.
 06-25-2012, 01:51 PMaway - #5
EGO 49 heat pts49

d 
space
$29,201 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by el bundy
damn, 3 wireless headsets in a year and a half? the #### did you do to them? ive had the same one for 4 years.
First one's speaker blew out. Second one's microphone went out. Third one's battery died in just two months. took 24 hours to charge and I'd only get 20 minutes of use Microsoft said there was no repair program for headsets and wouldn't help me out with a replacement since I threw the receipt away even though they've never needed a receipt to replace the first two.

I take care of my stuff. I just got unlucky with these ####in headphones I suppose. The wired headsets would just short out. And I do have a pair that is still working here but I just don't like to use them.
 06-25-2012, 04:06 PMaway - #6
EGO 49 heat pts49

d 
space
$29,201 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by berzerkerguts
As far as im concerned if you have the money i'd say get the astro. Im a little worried for you as far as the wirless portion cause that thing is def going to suck down batteries like nobodies business. Astro's craftsmanship,sound,look.feel>>>>>>
I got some rechargeables. I use them for my rock band guitar and for my TV/Blu Ray/Cable remotes. I'm going to need to get some more but I already have the charging station. I just swap one set out and charge it while I'm using the other. It works great for me and it only cost me about $25 for the charging station, 4 triple a rechargeables and 4 double a rechargeables. They've lasted me a year and some change and still hold a good charge. I know some people who still buy regular batteries. They could be saving hundreds a year on batteries alone, it's crazy how many they go through. I've tried educating them but I find that a lot of people are afraid to try new things.

Last edited by EGO; 06-25-2012 at 04:12 PM..
 06-25-2012, 04:10 PMaway - #7
EGO 49 heat pts49

d 
space
$29,201 | POWERFUL
I think I'm going to go with the Astro A40 wireless. I also had to take into account the A50s coming out soon and I really liked those, but the A40 is more flexible (you can't remove the boom mic on the A50). The Turtle Beach wireless setup is less cumbersome but I don't mind the way the A40 Wireless system is setup. I like sound more than anything so from what I hear the A40s are the way to go in that department. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
 06-25-2012, 07:09 PMaway - #8
Mr1979 

d 
space
$529 | 1365338
Check out the Steel Series Siberia headsets they are about $90 I believe. I was checking out FearMoho's youtube channel and he was saying he preferred those w/ an Astro mixamp over the A40's. I myself have Tritton AX Pro's which have 5.1 surround sound which I like alot but can wear heavy on head after long usage
 06-25-2012, 08:42 PMonline - #9
xslick504 4 heat pts

d 
space
$4,386 | 15948218
honestly i've had the TB x41's for like 3yrs now and i wouldn't waste a dime on anything else newer..... you can get em for less than $100 these days too.

the newer joints got futures that you'll probably rarely use that make them more expensive.

the x41s are wireless and 7.1 dolby as well.

that's the best/cheapest route.

there's nothing the newer XP models do better as far as sound quality.
 06-25-2012, 08:54 PMaway - #10
CS35 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$9,132 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Pierced Talentz
With the astros ask yourself are you really read to spend $279 before tax (one year warranty, not many retailers if any carries them so returning is a ####)

Or with the XP500 i know best buy carries them and you can purchase a extended warranty

I was in the same boat and I said #### it and copped the Tritton AX 720
This ax720 all the way I love mine, can hook it up to laptop, iPod , ect they slick

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Jul 30 - Boston Thug rapes 17-yr-old at Keith Urban c..
66 comments
Image inside  Jul 30 - Hate Crime Maps Reveal the Most Prejudiced P..
57 comments
Jul 30 - Africans accuse "Westerners" of Spreading Ebola.
58 comments
 Video inside Chief Keef Ft. Tadoe- Tec(official Video) #sosaseasoni...
New reply 38 seconds ago - 93 comments - by NoLastName
 Image(s) inside Your Girlfriend Or Your Barber
New reply 12 minutes ago - 57 comments - by blafy
 Image(s) inside How Smart Are You? Intelligence Test
New reply 2 minutes ago - 59 comments - by blaznfor20
 Video inside Watch: New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's ‘interstell...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 51 comments - by SM
 Image(s) inside Angela Simmons Wow
New reply 3 minutes ago - 130 comments - by WizDoM
 Video inside Def Jam: Fight For Ny" Was Blazin' Out Of Control
New reply 18 minutes ago - 67 comments - by Doc Logical
 Video inside Man On 6 Train Starts Drawing Everybody On The Train A...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 65 comments - by local celebrity
 Video inside 9 Songs Used By The Cia To Torture Prisoners
New reply 18 minutes ago - 94 comments - by local celebrity

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,760 fans of BX | none new today 4,741 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.