This is BX @ Boxden.com

NCAA In Talks With EA Sports to Bring College Hockey To NHL Series

NCAA In Talks With EA Sports to Bring College Hockey To NHL Series
topic by Da Ill One - 05-26-2010, 09:13 PM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

EA Sports is reportedly in discussions with the NCAA to bring Division I college hockey teams to the NHL series.

In an interview with The Pipeline Show the other day, Paul Kelly, Executive Director of College Hockey, said that they have been in discussions with EA Sports for a couple of weeks.

"We've actually been in discussions with EA for a couple of weeks, and while we don't have a formal announcement to make at this moment, we are certainly in discussions with EA Sports and they are very interested in having a college component to their game. We, the colleges, are very interested in having that happen and we are just currently in the process of figuring out what dimensions that ought to take. The answer to your question though is 'YES" just as there is going to be a CHL component to the video game, there will be a college hockey component as well."

The Pipeline Show then asked Kelly whether the NCAA teams would be included in NHL 11. He responded, saying, "I'm hopeful. I don't know much about the development of video games…if we come to a finality here in the next couple of weeks and whether that would give them enough time to roll it out in time for September…I would hope so but I don't know the answer to that. As soon as they are able to do it, we'll be doing it."

This is great news for U.S. hockey fans and more importantly, for hockey fans in general. The NCAA is one of the larger sources of NHL talent with just some former college hockey players including former and current stars such as Paul Kariya, Martin St. Louis, Tim Thomas, Ryan Miller, Brian Gionta and John Leclair.

This guy played NCAA hockey

The addition of NCAA hockey could help further add to the realism of both Be A GM Mode and Be A Pro Mode. Combined with the recent announcement that the CHL will be in NHL 11, it would allow players to draft from realistic sources of talent and begin their own virtual careers at realistic starting places.

The CHL is Canada's top junior league consisting of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, the Ontario Hockey League and the Western Hockey League. It includes several teams based in the U.S.

The inclusion of NCAA hockey could allow for players to begin their virtual pro careers as college hockey players (or even high school players who play in a state championship to determine what schools want to offer a scholarship similar to what's seen in NCAA Football). They would improve their skills and get drafted based on how well they play at the NCAA or CHL levels and eventually make the team, becoming NHL superstars.

Since the NCAA consists of amateur players, the NCAA portion of NHL 11 wouldn't include actual player names, unlike the CHL, which is semi-pro and thus the players names and likenesses can be used. Regardless, just having the NCAA in NHL 11 will be seen as a big addition for many fans of the series. College hockey is a level of the sport that many are passionate about, and while EA Sports is reportedly improving physics and gameplay for NHL 11, it's apparent that they are also focusing on improving the amount of options players have in the game.

We've reached out to EA Sports for comment and will update this post if they get back to us with any confirmation or the standard "no comment on rumor or speculation" answer.

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

5 comments for "NCAA In Talks With EA Sports to Bring College Hockey To NHL Series"

05-26-2010, 10:06 PMaway - #2
revolution03 

d 
space
$2,965 | 2929305
Nice... but i rather see a college lacrosse game :dancingcool:
 05-26-2010, 10:22 PMaway - #3
Tmac225 5 heat pts

d 
space
$6,653 | 18587046
why would people buy a game full of players they never heard of????
 05-26-2010, 10:57 PMaway - #4
Aleandroid 322 heat pts322

d 
space
$12,217 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by revolution03
Nice... but i rather see a college lacrosse game :dancingcool:
:hmm: don't know who the fuk would play that
 05-26-2010, 11:13 PMaway - #5
Bea5T 91 heat pts91

d 
space
$17,600 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Tmac225
why would people buy a game full of players they never heard of????
it wont be a separate game..they are trying to incorporate college hockey players IN the nhl games

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Samsung Galaxy S5 Beats iPhone 6 In New Benchmarks
56 comments
Ios 8 now available
65 comments
Image inside  Smash or Pass: Mexican BBW Singer Janney Marin AKA Ch..
51 comments
  Best Job Ever? Waka Flocka Is Hiring A Blunt Roller Wi...
New reply 9 seconds ago - 55 comments - by DSmith93
 NFL Brandon Marshall Of Chicago Bears Being Accused Of Pun...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 105 comments - by ant30ant33
 NFL Arizona Cardinals Rb Jonathan Dwyer Arrested For Domes...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 97 comments - by getlowmoe
 NFL Brandon Marshall: "espn Lied To Me For 2 Years Ab...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 65 comments - by Honolulu Blue
 NFL Budweiser, Visa, Mcdonald's And Campbell's Soup Not Ha...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 110 comments - by The Bully
  Name The 3 Biggest Mysteries In Hip Hop
New reply 14 minutes ago - 91 comments - by DASKCREW1
 Image(s) inside Kendrick Lamar-i Love Myself Artwork
New reply 11 minutes ago - 93 comments - by RoyceDa59
 Image(s) inside Nba 2k15 Face Scanning
New reply 20 minutes ago - 60 comments - by nwo504

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.