This is BX @ Boxden.com

Microsoft: Xbox 360 is now an entertainment console

Microsoft: Xbox 360 is now an entertainment console
topic by Jesszman - 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, just sat down alongside Nancy Tellem, Corporate Vice President at Microsoft LA Studios, to kick off this year's rendition of D:Dive Into Media here in Dana Point, Calif. The first session of the evening is being piloted by AllThingsD's Peter Kafka, and naturally, the topic of conversation is Xbox. For starters, Mehdi affirmed that Microsoft is witnessing an unmistakable transition of the Xbox 360 "from a gaming console to an entertainment console." At present, the install base is up to 76 million (up from around 70 million at the close of September 2012), with US-based users using the console for some 87 hours per month.

In fact, he stated that 18 billion (yeah, with a "B") hours of entertainment have been consumed on Xbox, and while Netflix is obviously the driving force, it might not be that way for much longer. He was quick to claim that Sony's PlayStation 3 "isn't as good of an entertainment console" -- something he feels that "everybody knows" -- and insinuated that the next-generation Xbox will stick to "big and premium." In other words, don't expect Microsoft to kick out a $50 Roku-style content box. Mehdi wants to ensure that the future of Xbox enables voice control, interactivity, and "other stuff that's big and beautiful."

Kicking the conversation over to Tellem, she affirmed that Microsoft is going to invest in premium content -- and in fact, said that she "hopes" for some of it to actually hit end users this year. Not surprisingly, folks are going to be asked to pay for it, but she wasn't willing to talk specifics. Of course, existing Xbox Live users are technically already paying, so it's possible that this new wave of content will be bundled into that monthly cost. When asked if Microsoft was planning to fund its own shows (much like Amazon and Netflix are doing), she seemed open to the idea, but also noted that Microsoft will absolutely partner with existing studios and content creators in order to give them yet another outlet (read: not pay-TV) to get people hooked.

Finally, she noted that there's "more latitude" in what kinds of material they can produce given that console distribution isn't as regulated as traditional broadcast. And, while a good deal of it will aim to satisfy the 18-24 male demographic, we're told that womenfolk and families will be looked after, too. Oh, and as for these Microsoft-funded shows hitting other distribution outlets? According to Tellem, that's unlikely -- at least at first -- but a sizable enough check from the likes of Hulu, Amazon, Sony, etc. could very well change that. In response to a question from TechCrunch's Ryan Lawler, Tellem noted that Microsoft's desire to churn out original, interactive entertainment is a way to both "move consoles, create new relationships with consumers and to expand [Microsoft's] audience," and from a higher level, to create the next generation of TV and "have it be a hit."
Microsoft talks plans for premium content production, details Xbox 360's transition to an 'entertainment console'

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

28 comments for "Microsoft: Xbox 360 is now an entertainment console"

02-14-2013, 09:28 AMaway - #2
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$26,138 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
He was quick to claim that Sony's PlayStation 3 "isn't as good of an entertainment console"

Man down!
 02-14-2013, 09:29 AMaway - #3
Jesszman 2179 heat pts2179

d 
space
$29,474 | POWERFUL
He's right though
 02-14-2013, 12:54 PMaway - #4
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$26,795 | POWERFUL
Well no ####, all video game consoles since the beginning of time can be classified as entertainment consoles.. Video games are entertainment.

Microsoft has just figured out a way to make it an all-inclusive entertainment console.
 02-14-2013, 01:33 PMaway - #5
DarkSidesHero 304 heat pts304

d 
space
$8,933 | POWERFUL
Microsoft E3......everything but games.
 02-14-2013, 02:23 PMaway - #6
OG Killa 144 heat pts144

d 
space
$13,654 | POWERFUL
Long as im entertained and actually having fun....why should I give two ####s
 02-14-2013, 02:44 PMaway - #7
Ra-da-god 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,963 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ALLEEK
Long as im entertained and actually having fun....why should I give two ####s
right!!!

they've been saying #### like this since they debuted xbox live on the first xbox....

its no different than "ps3......it only does everything"

its clear that whatever you do they want you doing it on their console as long as they can show me that they are still dedicated to bring me the best gaming experience like they have with Xbox and Xbox 360 I dont give a #### what title they give the damn thing.....

if its games I'm good....
 02-14-2013, 02:54 PMaway - #8
deziking 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$14,268 | POWERFUL
okay so hold up... If they going to make both ps4 and xbox 1080i next multimedia than wtf am I going to do with ps3 or xbox360?????? I mean why can't they do something different and just make a damn gaming console!
 02-14-2013, 03:13 PMaway - #9

d 
space
$8,933 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by deziking
okay so hold up... If they going to make both ps4 and xbox 1080i next multimedia than wtf am I going to do with ps3 or xbox360?????? I mean why can't they do something different and just make a damn gaming console!
No idea what you mean by that...

But I bet

Once the new Xbox comes out expect MS to forget about it.
When the PS4 drops Sony will continue to build the PS3.
 02-14-2013, 03:17 PMaway - #10
Ra-da-god 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,963 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DarkSidesHero
No idea what you mean by that...

But I bet

Once the new Xbox comes out expect MS to forget about it.
When the PS4 drops Sony will continue to build the PS3.
maybe, maybe not on both companies
 02-14-2013, 03:48 PMaway - #11

d 
space
$8,933 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Blood Edge
Cell is dead once the ps4 is released. Thank IBM for that. The ps3 will probably be the first current gen console to die.
Source so I have some duece dropping rreading material.
 02-14-2013, 06:50 PMaway - #12
LordBlanco|M 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$23,341 | POWERFUL
yet in order to access netflix (a service you pay for already) you need to have Xbox Gold.... nice work greedbox.

Can't even seamlessly attach Flash drives and externals without it asking to reformat or stream movies and shows off file sharing links through the browser.

360 is better for gaming, Worse for entertainment.

Last edited by LordBlanco; 02-14-2013 at 06:53 PM..
 02-14-2013, 06:55 PMaway - #13
King Dutch 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,406 | 6782080
Originally Posted by TanstA!
yet in order to access netflix (a service you pay for already) you need to have Xbox Gold.... nice work greedbox.

Can't even seamlessly attach Flash drives and externals without it asking to reformat or stream movies and shows off file sharing links through the browser.

oh ####. look who its is. Havent seen you since i thought i was a graphic designer.
 02-14-2013, 06:57 PMaway - #14
Soraci7 34 heat pts34

d 
space
$13,689 | POWERFUL
M$ really has turned into the GOP of console brands
 02-14-2013, 07:02 PMaway - #15

d 
space
$23,341 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by King Dutch
oh ####. look who its is. Havent seen you since i thought i was a graphic designer.
so do you "know" what you are now?
 02-14-2013, 07:06 PMaway - #16
King Dutch 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,406 | 6782080
so do you "know" what you are now?
Yea and it wasnt that. lol Me tryna make mixtape covers wasnt it. Im not about that life.

Now I flood this section with my knowledge of games and gaming news since im the Editor-in-Chief of IGN Games.
 02-14-2013, 07:08 PMaway - #17

d 
space
$23,341 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by King Dutch
Yea and it wasnt that. lol Me tryna make mixtape covers wasnt it. Im not about that life.

Now I flood this section with my knowledge of games and gaming news since im the Editor-in-Chief of IGN Games.
word? thats dope b.
 02-14-2013, 10:35 PMonline - #18
Optimus Crime 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,835 | POWERFUL

Not to mention their Netflix App is terrible lol
 02-14-2013, 10:36 PMaway - #19
HATEWILL! 39 heat pts39

d 
space
$18,158 | POWERFUL
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Krazie again.
 02-14-2013, 10:39 PMonline - #20
S7R 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$14,626 | POWERFUL

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Titanfall teases 'biggest update' details for tomorr..
67 comments
NBA 4thQtrKobe with 3 consecutive baskets in the clutch
84 comments
NBA Sixers Won..Plans for Lottery Reform Fall Apart
64 comments
 Video inside Xbox Won Multitasking At Work (party/movie/game)
New reply 17 seconds ago - 126 comments - by lato9905
 Video inside Gay Rumor Control: Tyrese Responds To Spanky’s Gay Acc...
New reply 1 minute ago - 90 comments - by ajeana
 MLB The 2014 World Series: Kansas City Royals Vs. San Fran...
New reply 32 seconds ago - 412 comments - by !!!
 NFL Brett Favre : "rams Austin Davis Can Be The Next ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 63 comments - by theFREAK
 Video inside Lord Jamar: Raven-symone Is Having An Identity Crisis
New reply 59 seconds ago - 92 comments - by Carlton Black
 Image(s) inside 50 Cent Speaks On Eminem And Jay-z (:truth:)
New reply 5 minutes ago - 160 comments - by BasedonMars
 Video inside Honey Cocaine - Curveball...exposing Thirsty Men And O...
New reply 1 minute ago - 239 comments - by blafy
 Image(s) inside They Saying This Might Be The Adidas Yeezy
New reply 6 minutes ago - 52 comments - by MGz

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,795 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.