This is BX @ Boxden.com

Microsoft Just Bought A Company That Will Help The NextBox Win The Living Room

Microsoft Just Bought A Company That Will Help The NextBox Win The Living Room
topic by Da Ill One - 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

Microsoft just bought R2 Studios, a company that Apple and Google were both after, to help the Xbox continue its a$sault on living rooms across the world. R2 Studios, which was founded by Blake Krikorian (the guy who also made the Slingbox), apparently "works on" technology related to distributing and displaying digital media on televisions.

Basically, it's more of Microsoft seeing the Xbox as a set top box as opposed to just a gaming device. It's also more of Microsoft flexing Xbox over Apple TV and Google TV.

Source

Damn MS balled out over both Apple & Google... that's pretty impressive

Latest Games Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

68 comments for "Microsoft Just Bought A Company That Will Help The NextBox Win The Living Room"

01-02-2013, 06:57 PMaway - #2
Jesszman 2182 heat pts2182

d 
space
$29,550 | POWERFUL
So the Xbox continues to become less of a games console and more of a DVR.
 01-02-2013, 07:00 PMaway - #3
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$27,092 | POWERFUL
And this is another reason why Microsoft will keep the stranglehold on Sony.
 01-02-2013, 07:02 PMaway - #4
McmasterlockPt2 34 heat pts34

d 
space
$11,417 | POWERFUL
I dont mind the xbox adding streaming media apps and #### like that but dont forget about the games.
 01-02-2013, 07:04 PMonline - #5
Arson 82 heat pts82

d 
space
$28,666 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by McmasterlockPt2
I dont mind the xbox adding streaming media apps and #### like that but dont forget about the games.
I recently went to the offices to get a glimpse at what was coming. Lets just say you won't be disappointed.
 01-02-2013, 07:10 PMaway - #6
MischiefTooReal 70 heat pts70

d 
space
$6,505 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
I recently went to the offices to get a glimpse at what was coming. Lets just say you won't be disappointed.

Are you saying you seen the "NextBox" in action?
 01-02-2013, 07:11 PMaway - #7
Explicit 54 heat pts54

d 
space
$6,522 | POWERFUL
It's the only thing MS has going for itself. Windows 8 and their phones are flopping hard
 01-02-2013, 07:12 PMaway - #8
King Dutch 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,407 | 6782080
Dont the PS3 and XBOX already some aspect of this already. With Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and the PSN and XBOX Live, can you pretty much watch/purchase whatever you want without having a cable subscription.

What else could they be adding?
 01-02-2013, 07:13 PMaway - #9

d 
space
$29,550 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Explicit
It's the only thing MS has going for itself. Windows 8 and their phones are flopping hard
next xbox is gonna flop too.
 01-02-2013, 07:19 PMaway - #10
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$27,092 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
next xbox is gonna flop too.
We know you pray for that every night before you go to sleep.

Give us one logical reason why that would happen though. It surely isn't because Sony is going to regain market share.
 01-02-2013, 07:20 PMaway - #11

d 
space
$29,550 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Krazie
We know you pray for that every night before you go to sleep.

Give us one logical reason why that would happen though. It surely isn't because Sony is going to regain market share.
Windows 8 is doing worse then Vista, and their phones aren't doing well either.
 01-02-2013, 07:24 PMaway - #12
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$27,092 | POWERFUL
Windows 8 is doing worse then Vista, and their phones aren't doing well either.
What's that have to do with a games console?

Windows 8 is fantastic IMO.

Why are you so aware of this ####? I could care less to look up Windows 8 and Windows Phone numbers.
 01-02-2013, 07:25 PMaway - #13

d 
space
$29,550 | POWERFUL
What's that have to do with a games console?

Windows 8 is fantastic IMO.

Why are you so aware of this ####? I could care less to look up Windows 8 and Windows Phone numbers.
Because it's everywhere. I have Windows 8, it's amazing. I don't know why it's failing, but it is
 01-02-2013, 07:49 PMaway - #14
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$27,092 | POWERFUL
Because it's everywhere. I have Windows 8, it's amazing. I don't know why it's failing, but it is
We need to pray for the PS4 REALLY hard then, considering every Sony product out there is failing miserably.
 01-02-2013, 07:50 PMaway - #15
King Dutch 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,407 | 6782080
Its because this Mac im on is the truth. My job gave it to me. I dont even know how to work it and i think its nice. I know windows System Admins who dont like Windows 8. Maybe its cuz it new, people dont like change, or they cant find the f*cking start menu.
 01-02-2013, 07:51 PMaway - #16

d 
space
$29,550 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by King Dutch
Its because this Mac im on is the truth. My job gave it to me. I dont even know how to work it and i think its nice. I know windows System Admins who dont like Windows 8. Maybe its cuz it new, people dont like change, or they cant find the f*cking start menu.
See, that's the thing though. Windows 8 isn't really much of a change. I'm in desktop mode 24/7. the only time i switch to the new start menu is to open a program i already don't have up, and that's as simple as typing in the name of the program. People act as if this is some other level type ish when it's just a simple cosmetic change to the start menu. It's no rocket science.
 01-02-2013, 08:00 PMaway - #17
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$27,092 | POWERFUL
See, that's the thing though. Windows 8 isn't really much of a change. I'm in desktop mode 24/7. the only time i switch to the new start menu is to open a program i already don't have up, and that's as simple as typing in the name of the program. People act as if this is some other level type ish when it's just a simple cosmetic change to the start menu. It's no rocket science.
Yeah, I've been more productive with Win 8, it's really easy to open new programs and ####. I'm not sure what the backlash is about. It was confusing for about a day when it came to navigation, but it's easy once you understand how it works.
 01-02-2013, 08:12 PMaway - #18
King Dutch 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,407 | 6782080
We need to pray for the PS4 REALLY hard then, considering every Sony product out there is failing miserably.
You cant believe the PS4 is gonna flop. lol. If it flops, i believe its cuz consoies in general are going to be selling less. It wont just be Sony. They'll all have to adapt. I cant see XBOX breaking out a new groundbreaking feature with out Sony having something similar to compete. They'll all be on the same level they are now. (I admittedly dont know lifetime sales number for either, but i'm a$suming Microsoft and Sony aint hurting on the console side of things)

But if you talking about handhelds and peripherals damn Sony f'd up with the VIta. I copped one and want my money back.
 01-02-2013, 08:15 PMaway - #19
King Dutch 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,407 | 6782080
Yeah, I've been more productive with Win 8, it's really easy to open new programs and ####. I'm not sure what the backlash is about. It was confusing for about a day when it came to navigation, but it's easy once you understand how it works.
Your computer literate. Most people dont want a learning curve. Especially older people. They already cant use computers. They want something they're use too and comfortable with. We can figure it out, but can the average person wait a day to learn it. Everybody wants instant gratification and ease of use, now not later.
 01-02-2013, 08:26 PMaway - #20
Explicit 54 heat pts54

d 
space
$6,522 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by King Dutch

How are you going to say "this Mac im on is the truth." Then state you can't even work the damn thing?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 30 - Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
63 comments
Image inside  Oct 28 - Life under Obama sucks. And these numbers pr..
61 comments
IGN Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
88 comments
 Video inside This Guy Asked A Homeless Man For A Slice Of Pizza. An...
New reply 1 minute ago - 79 comments - by YungPrinceNY
  Best Rap Album Of 2014?
New reply 24 minutes ago - 100 comments - by QB Eagles
  Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta (prod. Soundwave X Thunder...
New reply 1 minute ago - 93 comments - by mdemaz
  How You Can Get A New Ps4 For $275
New reply 24 minutes ago - 184 comments - by SpazzOut
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 194 comments - by NoLastName
 Video inside 10 Hours Of Walking Around Nyc As A Woman (ny Niggas A...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 313 comments - by Tastemaker331
 Video inside Throwback: Iggy Azalea Refuses To Freestyle On Sway In...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 82 comments - by The Bully
 NBA Miami Was Using That Fake Crowd Noise Last Night
New reply 1 hour ago - 93 comments - by st21

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.