This is BX @ Boxden.com

Microsoft investing $1 billion into Xbox One games

Microsoft investing $1 billion into Xbox One games
topic by ChevyBrah - 05-29-2013, 07:33 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

> Microsoft investing $1 billion into Xbox One games - Photo posted in BX GameSpot | Sign in and leave a comment below!

At least $1 billion will be invested into next-generation games by Microsoft; core games "always important".
Microsoft will be investing an unprecedented amount into games for its next-generation console, the Xbox One.

Speaking to Official Xbox Magazine, Microsoft Game Studios vice president Phil Spencer and president of Interactive Entertainment Business Don Mattrick discussed the future of the console and the company's vision.

At least $1 billion will be invested by Microsoft into next-generation games, a number which may appease fans who scrutinised the company after its Xbox One unveiling focused more on television and entertainment than on games.

Speaking about the console's core titles, Mattrick acknowledged that they are "always important".

"We just ran through our script and counted the number of exclusives, and looked at the amount of money that we're spending and the deals that we have, exclusive windows and [things to create differentiation]. I think, candidly, people are way, way under-indexing how hard we're punching." Mattrick said.

On the topic of the Xbox One's core game market, Mattrick was confident in Microsoft's ability to succeed.

"We're going to come out with detail on things, and people are going to go, 'oh my god'. Like, 'they were focused, they made this a core goal, core activity'. There are great hits, there's innovation, and there are world class creators plugged in. There's a lot of hyperbole about things, but I think we're going to deliver."

Microsoft has confirmed 15 exclusive games for release in the Xbox One's first year of launch, a move that was accompanied by the opening of Microsoft Game Studios offices in London, Washington, and Victoria, British Columbia.

On the topic of the Xbox One as a development platform, Spencer described the new console as an opportunity to engage with a different audience.

"People are playing games on all kinds of devices, and games with different business models, with different engagement time frames. I think when we started Xbox 360, so many of the games were about 'I'm going to play it for four or five hours, and then I'm going to play online'.

"Today, our creators are really lighting up with the opportunity to build games that can live as full-screen immersive experiences like you're seeing on shelves today, but also the idea of building device experiences that live in the SmartGlass world that connect to what's on the screen. The ability to take your mobile away with you and continue to engage on it, engage with the game. The opportunities today--more people are playing games today than, I think, ever before," he said.

His comments echoed the sentiment of Microsoft senior vice president of Interactive Entertainment Business Yusuf Mehdi, who claimed that the next-generation of console sales could hit one billion units due to deep media opportunities.

"If I want to play a game for two minutes, or I want to play a game for two hours, or I want to play a game with twenty other people, all of those opportunities are available on the platform we're putting forward," Spencer added.

Microsoft investing $1 billion into Xbox One games - GameSpot.com

1 billi> Microsoft investing $1 billion into Xbox One games - Photo posted in BX GameSpot | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

102 comments for "Microsoft investing $1 billion into Xbox One games"

05-29-2013, 07:45 AMonline - #2
DominationCM 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,230 | POWERFUL
less than the hit they took trying to solve the RROD problem on this gens console
 05-29-2013, 07:46 AMonline - #3
philly337 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$21,471 | POWERFUL
But there are no games
 05-29-2013, 07:53 AMaway - #4
DreamChasers 68 heat pts68

d 
space
$5,381 | POWERFUL
because sony isnt focused right now on ps4 games........... LOL GREAT ARGUMENT XBOX
 05-29-2013, 09:19 AMonline - #5
Hovi Bryant 236 heat pts236

d 
space
$19,467 | POWERFUL
As long as none of this goes towards Kinect.
 05-29-2013, 09:45 AMonline - #6
freshprinceoba 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$6,274 | POWERFUL
Good, they have to step it up.

I know i've been joking a lot about the xbox 1 lately and for good reason. But truth is, without the xbox doing well Sony will probably become lazy again, like the first year or so after the goat Playstation 2.

I need my Playstation exclusives!
 05-29-2013, 09:47 AMaway - #7
OG Killa 144 heat pts144

d 
space
$13,654 | POWERFUL
Few more of the usual suspects need to come in and hate. Where y'all ni##as at
 05-29-2013, 09:59 AMaway - #8
HDBeatz 55 heat pts55

d 
space
$4,586 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ALLEEK
Few more of the usual suspects need to come in and hate. Where y'all ni##as at
This ni##a
 05-29-2013, 10:06 AMonline - #9

d 
space
$19,467 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by freshprinceoba
Good, they have to step it up.

I know i've been joking a lot about the xbox 1 lately and for good reason. But truth is, without the xbox doing well Sony will probably become lazy again, like the first year or so after the goat Playstation 2.

I need my Playstation exclusives!
Sony can't afford to be lazy.

Sony was able to stave off what was probably one of the biggest fall offs in gaming history with the PS3.

Went from undisputed king to allowing Microsoft to take away its largest market (America) and gain a sizable chunk of Europe.

However, it looks like getting it back won't be too difficult, largely in part to Microsoft.
 05-29-2013, 10:33 AMonline - #10
DominationCM 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,230 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Hovi Bryant
Sony can't afford to be lazy.

Sony was able to stave off what was probably one of the biggest fall offs in gaming history with the PS3.

Went from undisputed king to allowing Microsoft to take away its largest market (America) and gain a sizable chunk of Europe.

However, it looks like getting it back won't be too difficult, largely in part to Microsoft.
"in gaming history"
 05-29-2013, 12:56 PMaway - #11
Ra-da-god 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,963 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DominationCM
"in gaming history"
Nah he's right tho ps3 was a epic failure in a lot of respects they are just now getting they #### together with it
 05-29-2013, 01:06 PMonline - #12
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$26,798 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DominationCM
"in gaming history"
The highest selling console of all time, to losing literally half of sales.. It's definitely up there.

And I told you ####es Microsoft would come out with guns blazing on the games front. What that means for exclusives 4-5 years down the road, who knows. But, out the gate they're gonna come with a lot of good ####.
 05-29-2013, 01:53 PMonline - #13

d 
space
$19,467 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Krazie
The highest selling console of all time, to losing literally half of sales.. It's definitely up there.

And I told you ####es Microsoft would come out with guns blazing on the games front. What that means for exclusives 4-5 years down the road, who knows. But, out the gate they're gonna come with a lot of good ####.
#### out of here with that bull####.

You've been keeping your faith strong in Microsoft and I fail to see any compelling reasons as to why. I want to know where this brand loyalty comes from.

Microsoft was mostly on the right side of gamers since the 360 launched. Not so much in recent years.

Not with the non-gaming centric E3 presentations for the past 3 years.

Not with the console reveal that introduced little to no features that would interest gamers, in fact we already know about the features that would do us more harm.

Finally, with all the bad press,

I don't see how you do it.

The Xbox 360 is the best console of this generation. Not just because of the games. It's because everything runs smoother, looks better, convenient services, things we just take for granted these days.

I realize how good the 360 is whenever I boot the PS3.

Sony evened most of this up in February. DRM policy is pretty much my only concern at this point.

Optimism is what I have for the Xbox One at best. Microsoft has to come straight on a lot of things and it's not just the games.
 05-29-2013, 01:55 PMaway - #14
Foyt 131 heat pts131

d 
space
$10,567 | POWERFUL

Meanwhile, Sony employees making Gifs about Xbox One and selling buildings.
 05-29-2013, 01:58 PMonline - #15
GucciBoy347 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$8,068 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by philly337
But there are no games
but but but they only care about kinect they said
 05-29-2013, 02:26 PMaway - #16
Ra-da-god 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,963 | POWERFUL
As long as none of this goes towards Kinect.
outside of #### like dance central i dont think we are going to see too many "only for kinect" games next gen, the heavy emphasis attention to it this gen was to cater to the 25 million install they has just gained and i think they were trying as many game ideas as possible to justify having one....

I think this time it'll be more of a better with kinect type deal.......

Last edited by Ra-da-god; 05-29-2013 at 02:45 PM..
 05-29-2013, 02:42 PMaway - #17
Ra-da-god 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,963 | POWERFUL
Microsoft was mostly on the right side of gamers since the 360 launched. Not so much in recent years.
I dont see how people make this argument stick, in the last few years they've still catered heavily to gamers all of popular games are still selling mostly on xbox just because it can be played on ps3 doesn't mean its not better on xbox.

I can't imagine anyone who'd wanna play any type of shooters on ps3 the only thing ps3 has over 360 gaming wise is exclusives (as of late) everything else is better on xbox

Not with the non-gaming centric E3 presentations for the past 3 years.
wont argue there, M$ has been severely out of touch since E3 2010 I'd say I've come to hate that smug smile of Mattrick's

Not with the console reveal that introduced little to no features that would interest gamers, in fact we already know about the features that would do us more harm.
again with this, this is more entitlement than sound logic because logically it makes no sense for M$ to do anymore than they did especially with E3 so close.....

I can see if they pulled that #### in like march but damn at this point E3 isn't even 20 days away

Finally, with all the bad press,

DRM policy is pretty much my only concern at this point.

Optimism is what I have for the Xbox One at best. Microsoft has to come straight on a lot of things and it's not just the games.
I can agree with how they have handle the info and detail about Xbox one its shooting yourself in teh foot at its finest they def flubbed up mostly all the positive momentum they had going into E3 now people wanna pay attention to all the negative #### like DRM whis is my only real concern at this point aswell for both consoles.....

but to say they haven't shown a dedication to games when they've done nothing but say "We have games, lots of them wait till e3" is just running with the hate

Last edited by Ra-da-god; 05-29-2013 at 02:44 PM..
 05-29-2013, 02:46 PMaway - #18
DJ EM Double 6 heat pts

d 
space
$3,218 | 20348528
Originally Posted by Ra-da-god
outside of #### like dance central i dont think we are going to see too many "only for kinect" games this gen, the heavy emphasis attention to it this was to cater to the 25 million install they has just gained and i think they were trying as many game ideas as possible to justify having one....

The Kinect experience is going to be alot different this generation, for one the sensor is so much more accurate , every console is going to have it etc there are no such thing as "for kinect only" games and they won't have to divide the two different markets.

Future Kinect titles for us gamers have the potential to be more hardcore controller based with voice commands or some gesture support but the core is still the controller. If they make games with gestures and voice command and I have the option to not use it I don't see what the #### is the big deal exactly what has changed then?
 05-29-2013, 02:48 PMaway - #19
OG Killa 144 heat pts144

d 
space
$13,654 | POWERFUL
We missing like 3 or 4 of the usual suspects
 05-29-2013, 02:48 PMonline - #20

d 
space
$19,467 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Ra-da-god
outside of #### like dance central i dont think we are going to see too many "only for kinect" games next gen, the heavy emphasis attention to it this gen was to cater to the 25 million install they has just gained and i think they were trying as many game ideas as possible to justify having one....

You think?

Why is Kinect mandatory for the console?

Those features revealed on the 21st were hardly for gaming at all.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Titanfall teases 'biggest update' details for tomorr..
67 comments
NBA 4thQtrKobe with 3 consecutive baskets in the clutch
84 comments
NBA Sixers Won..Plans for Lottery Reform Fall Apart
64 comments
 Article inside Xbox One November System Update: New Tv, Personalizati...
New reply 59 seconds ago - 75 comments - by whodatb1
 Image(s) inside They Saying This Might Be The Adidas Yeezy
New reply 4 minutes ago - 53 comments - by MGz
 MLB The 2014 World Series: Kansas City Royals Vs. San Fran...
New reply 1 minute ago - 482 comments - by !!!
 Video inside Gay Rumor Control: Tyrese Responds To Spanky’s Gay Acc...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 95 comments - by ajeana
 Video inside Honey Cocaine - Curveball...exposing Thirsty Men And O...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 256 comments - by blafy
 Video inside T.i. At The Breakfast Club: Iggy & Snoop, Ebola, G...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 58 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Image(s) inside Missing Sphinx Head Found In Ancient Greek Tomb
New reply 3 minutes ago - 63 comments - by Sniggit
 NFL Brett Favre : "rams Austin Davis Can Be The Next ...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 65 comments - by theFREAK

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,795 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.