This is BX @ Boxden.com

Installing Xbox One Games Takes Way Too Long

topic by CrunchTime CDN - 11-27-2013, 11:51 AM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

We wanted to test the install times of both new consoles, so we plugged a PS4 into an Xbox One's TV input and watched them race to install a game. You can see in our video, there's a big difference in the two systems.P

Both the Xbox One and PS4 require all games to be installed from the disc, due to the increasing size of games and the relatively low speed of optical drives. So both consoles have a feature that allows you to launch a game as soon as enough content is installed to begin running it, while the rest of the data continues to install in the background. Our test was how long it takes to launch the game from the time you insert a disc, with a normal console connected to the internet.P

RELATED

PS4 vs. Xbox One: The Comparison We Had To Make
Two new gaming consoles. Both very powerful. Both very ambitious. Both about to meet head to head... and do battle for your time, money and… Read…
We tested six multiplatform games on both consoles and every time, the PS4 was under a minute while the Xbox One install was several minutes long and required downloading an update before beginning the installation. When you include downloading those updates for each Xbox One game that happen in the background on PS4, the install times can get as high as fifteen minutes before you can even launch the game.P

Remember that this is only a test of how long the games initially take to install. Once the games are fully installed, they take about the same amount of time to boot up on either console.P

So here's the general idea: You put in a game to install it, a progress bar comes up, and at some point you can launch the game and start playing while it keeps installing. P

On PS4, after inserting a disc, you'll be shown a progress bar that ends when you're able to launch the game, and if there's a day-one update, it downloads in the background, and you can install it when you want to play online or whatever the case may be for that update.P

On Xbox One, you insert a disc and are shown a progress bar showing the percentage of the full installation, and when enough is installed to run the game, you'll see a message that says "Ready to Start!" The only difference is that the installation from the disc doesn't seem to start until you've downloaded and installed the update.P

Now, there's another big difference here. Both consoles will let you know when the game is ready to launch. But once you get into the game, some parts may not be finished installing. For ACIV and Battlefield 4, that would mean the multiplayer modes (on both platforms). However, it seems that Xbox One lets you launch a game even before some singleplayer content is ready. I tested this with Madden 25 on Xbox One. Once the game was "ready to start" most modes like Connected Franchise or Practice were locked off until the game was completely installed. However, after installing the same game on PS4, those modes were playable after the initial install, which took 38 seconds.P

We tested a$sassin's Creed IV on two different Xbox Ones, and had the same issue, resulting in standing in that beautiful Animus loading void while it installed the last bits of singleplayer content required to start the story. Although in that case it only required a couple of extra minutes to get those modes. Unlike Madden, the full disc didn't need to be installed. On both consoles, the game has a timer or progress meter in the main menu telling you the progress of the full install. So at least you aren't left blindly guessing when you'll be able to play.P

Since all of the games we were testing required an update, we factored this into our times. On the PS4, they happened in the background and didn't affect our ability to install or begin the game, while on Xbox One, the installation from disc wouldn't begin until after the update finished.P

I was using an Xbox One connected via Wi-Fi, getting about 9-11Mbps download speed, so we ran a test with another Xbox on a faster internet connection installing a$sassin's Creed IV to see how much of a difference that could make in downloading the update. To give you an idea of the time difference the 300-500MB updates added, we tested installing a$sassin's Creed IV on two consoles with the internet disconnected. P

How Long Your First Install Will Take On PS4 And Xbox OneP

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 secondsP

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:P

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

Do you have an Xbox One or PS4? Time a test, and let us know what you get. Include your internet speed, and make sure to note any other important information. Like if you timed from putting the disc in to launching the game, or actually getting to gameplay, or some other metric.P

How the reviewers ignore this #### when they was reviewing the Xbox One?

#### the media

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

121 comments for "Installing Xbox One Games Takes Way Too Long"

11-27-2013, 11:56 AMonline - #2
coolio 48 heat pts48

d 
space
$16,821 | POWERFUL
but but but "ill be done half the campaign before the PS is done installing"

Originally Posted by CrunchTime CDN

#### the media

alot of reviewers also completely ignored the hardware aspect when reviewing the x1 they had to pick and choose what to mention, rather than reviewing them both using the same criteria in order to have them both come out fairly equal, so that they dont look like they're picking a side
 11-27-2013, 11:57 AMaway - #3
LakeHawks 101 heat pts101

d 
space
$12,992 | POWERFUL
####ing starting games from the dashboard takes a long time

Dr3 takes forever to load
 11-27-2013, 11:58 AMaway - #4
Foyt 131 heat pts131

d 
space
$10,580 | POWERFUL
Dont matter to me because they run quieter on the X1, that PS4 sound like it's about to take off sometimes even when games are installed.
 11-27-2013, 12:00 PMaway - #5
Foyt 131 heat pts131

d 
space
$10,580 | POWERFUL
I'm confused by the times, the PS4 dont install all those games in under a minute
 11-27-2013, 12:00 PMaway - #6
IGOTSHITTZ 

d 
space
$9,106 | POWERFUL
Took me forever when I was downloading Forza. I think I was able to play it when it got to about 13%. My only option was to start career mode. After every race, I had to wait for the next one to install and it was usually about 20-50% installed when I finished the prior race. Once I finished the first series, I played some split screen with my son, then took a break from it. Came back about an hour later and still the only thing I could do was the bonus races from the first circuit. Finished all those and still couldn't do anything else.

I've noticed that PS4 downloads are better than Xbox One. Back on the PS3 it would take forever to download anything and the 360 would download fast.
Originally Posted by CrunchTime CDN

#### the media
If I were to guess, I think it is because they didn't download games. They most likely had discs.
 11-27-2013, 12:02 PMaway - #7
IGOTSHITTZ 

d 
space
$9,106 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Austin Foyt
Dont matter to me because they run quieter on the X1, that PS4 sound like it's about to take off sometimes even when games are installed.
Both of mine are quiet as ####.
 11-27-2013, 12:03 PMonline - #8
Infamous2o1x 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$10,853 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Pierced Talentz
####ing starting games from the dashboard takes a long time

Dr3 takes forever to load
It sure does. I agree with OP post xb1 takes too long to install.
 11-27-2013, 12:03 PMaway - #9
Foyt 131 heat pts131

d 
space
$10,580 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by IGOT####TZ
Both of mine are quiet as ####.
Even when playing k!llzone?
 11-27-2013, 12:04 PMaway - #10
Hovi Bryant 236 heat pts236

d 
space
$19,483 | POWERFUL
 11-27-2013, 12:05 PMonline - #11
CrunchTime CDN 282 heat pts282

d 
space
$5,690 | POWERFUL
I'm confused by the times, the PS4 dont install all those games in under a minute

This is the time that it takes to install enough of the game for you to start playing on both consoles the rest of the install is done in the background while you play.

Originally Posted by IGOT####TZ
Took me forever when I was downloading Forza. I think I was able to play it when it got to about 13%. My only option was to start career mode. After every race, I had to wait for the next one to install and it was usually about 20-50% installed when I finished the prior race. Once I finished the first series, I played some split screen with my son, then took a break from it. Came back about an hour later and still the only thing I could do was the bonus races from the first circuit. Finished all those and still couldn't do anything else.

I've noticed that PS4 downloads are better than Xbox One. Back on the PS3 it would take forever to download anything and the 360 would download fast.

If I were to guess, I think it is because they didn't download games. They most likely had discs.
The #### are you talking about? this is from the discs.
 11-27-2013, 12:05 PMaway - #12
IGOTSHITTZ 

d 
space
$9,106 | POWERFUL
Don't have k!llzone.
 11-27-2013, 12:06 PMonline - #13
dadon85 82 heat pts82

d 
space
$12,626 | POWERFUL
Next gen mandatory installs. Not a fan.want my hard drive space for digital and other ####. Not disc games.
 11-27-2013, 12:09 PMaway - #14
KURUPTION!!! 478 heat pts478

d 
space
$32,997 | POWERFUL
Yup. I just finished playing KZ. ####'s quiet as ####.
 11-27-2013, 12:28 PMaway - #15
Trizz187 9 heat pts

d 
space
$3,015 | 13849022
LOL @ all the xbox fan boys who thought PSN on PS4 was gonna be the same exact thing as it was on PS3,making comments about things being slow and taking forever and "lagging" now look PSN on PS4 is doing the damn thing
 11-27-2013, 12:34 PMaway - #16
P-Hill|M 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$26,558 | POWERFUL
NBA 2K14's install on the PS4 was a ####ing joke.

That initial install definitely wasn't under no 2 minutes... and then in the game... had to wait even longer and a bull#### music filled "Demo" while the rest of the content was installed

Ryse took long to install... so long that when I finished the first chapter, I had to wait some time because Chapter 2 was still installing
 11-27-2013, 12:37 PMaway - #17
ruff 6 heat pts

d 
space
$23,410 | POWERFUL
 11-27-2013, 12:43 PMaway - #18
EGO 51 heat pts51

d 
space
$29,512 | POWERFUL
Hasn't been an issue for me The first day was brutal when I wanted to play all my games right away, but just find something to do for 5 minutes and come back. No big deal. Would hate to see how you guys responded to Metal Gear Solid 4.
 11-27-2013, 12:45 PMaway - #19
Hovi Bryant 236 heat pts236

d 
space
$19,483 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by P-Hill
NBA 2K14's install on the PS4 was a ####ing joke.

That initial install definitely wasn't under no 2 minutes... and then in the game... had to wait even longer and a bull#### music filled "Demo" while the rest of the content was installed

Ryse took long to install... so long that when I finished the first chapter, I had to wait some time because Chapter 2 was still installing
I'd rather play a demo instead of sitting and doing something else. I hate all the installs period. I decided to pop in all the games I purchased for an install. Then I turned the system off and let the console download all the patches before heading to work.
 11-27-2013, 12:48 PMaway - #20
WezLFaCe_KiD 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$11,575 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by KURUPTION!!!
Yup. I just finished playing KZ. ####'s quiet as ####.
when that #### start getting fun chapt 2 is k!lling me

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Find me a Soprano's or Breaking Bad scene fu-king with this
114 comments
Video inside  Introducing PS4 Share Play...
57 comments
Video inside  Sunset Overdrive Embargo Lifted early review
105 comments
 NCAAF Week 9 Cfb Thread(top 25 Only)
New reply 2 minutes ago - 384 comments - by JBoogie
 NFL Top 10 Diva's In The Nfl
New reply 22 minutes ago - 62 comments - by italiansteve
  Oct 24 - Teacher Ashley Zehnder Faces Sex Charge After...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 78 comments - by Frasier
 Image(s) inside Oct 24 - Tlc Cancels Honey Boo Boo Over Mom's Child Mo...
New reply 56 minutes ago - 75 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 audio inside Lupe Fiasco - Haile Selassie Ft. Nikki Jean (prod. By ...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 136 comments - by 10th Wonder
  Whats The Answer
New reply 1 hour ago - 52 comments - by BMAN626
 MMA Ufc 179: Aldo Vs. Mendes 2 Official Discussion Thread
New reply 9 minutes ago - 185 comments - by Gramz
  The Game.....has One Of The Best Songs Of The Year.
New reply 2 hours ago - 72 comments - by Littlefinger1

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,801 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.