This is BX @ Boxden.com

Crytek head says next-gen consoles 'impossible' to match PCs

Crytek head says next-gen consoles 'impossible' to match PCs
topic by Willbeatz - 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

As gamers prepare for their likely first glimpse of the next generation tomorrow, at least one executive is tempering expectations. Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli says it is "impossible" for the next-generation consoles to match high-end gaming PCs.

"Without breaking NDAs that are in place, realistically, from purely a price point perspective, it is impossible," Yerli told Eurogamer. "It's impossible to package $2000-3000 into a mainstream, let's say $500 console. I'm not saying they are $500 consoles. They may launch a console at $2000, but the consumer pricing is usually much lower than that." He further stated that Moore's Law dictates that hardware evolutions mean consoles launching in 2013, 2014, or even 2015 "will never beat a PC again."

The other issue at play is the PC culture, which Yerli says has grown more advanced and devoted to powerful gaming rigs. "If you look at PC gaming, that has changed also. The whole modular way you can design a PC today, with two, three or four graphics cards in them, and you can water cool them and overclock to infinity, that didn't exist even six or seven years ago. You just bought one or maybe two graphics cards and then you were super enthusiastic. It's very difficult to compete with that. People have these massive nuclear power plants standing in their rooms that will run your games really fast. It's hard to compete with."

If Yerli is right, Sony's presentation tomorrow may underwhelm some PC gamers who already own machines that outpace the future console.

Source

> Crytek head says next-gen consoles 'impossible' to match PCs - Photo posted in BX GameSpot | Sign in and leave a comment below! Stay free.

Latest Games Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

43 comments for "Crytek head says next-gen consoles 'impossible' to match PCs"

02-20-2013, 03:07 PMaway - #2
Hovi Bryant 214 heat pts214

d 
space
$15,629 | POWERFUL
PC gamers are playing themselves when they get these rigs imo.

There aren't many exclusive games for the platform that showcase superior graphics and gameplay experiences.

Instead, games are developed with consoles in mind, so while PC games will naturally look better, they will never take full advantage of the hardware.

Consoles have effectively bottlenecked the PC gaming world. There's no coming back from this.
 02-20-2013, 03:12 PMaway - #3
Arson 79 heat pts79

d 
space
$26,394 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Hovi Bryant

There aren't many exclusive games for the platform that showcase superior graphics and gameplay experiences.

Instead, games are developed with consoles in mind, so while PC games will naturally look better, they will never take full advantage of the hardware.

Consoles have effectively bottlenecked the PC gaming world. There's no coming back from this.
PC gaming is growing and next gen consoles will be closer to PC architecture wise than they've ever been. Its a good time to have a gaming pc
 02-20-2013, 03:17 PMaway - #4
Willbeatz 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$3,870 | POWERFUL

Sad but true. But with more developers cough crytek cough embracing the whole free2play model for their games we can see that going away.

Still waiting for that Half-life 3 pc/steambox exclusive announcement to also put that to rest.

Last edited by Willbeatz; 02-20-2013 at 03:20 PM..
 02-20-2013, 03:21 PMaway - #5

d 
space
$15,629 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
PC gaming is growing and next gen consoles will be closer to PC architecture wise than they've ever been. Its a good time to have a gaming pc
Console CPU architecture may become similar, but PC's will always have the flexibility of multiple brands of GPU's which vary each cycle.

Consoles can be developed for specifically in contrast to PC's which will have GPU's taking broader instructions from games, hindering performance and quality.

I don't believe the gap will be closing, for the gap is more of a fallacy imo.

What makes a game graphically superior? Frame-rates, more objects on screen, more detail?

PC's can offer all three better than consoles, but the scale of which is minor, when the GPU's can offer much more.

I would agree with your statement if more games were developed from the top (PC) down (consoles).

However, I believe improvements towards parity will be marginal at best.
 02-20-2013, 04:56 PMaway - #6
DJ Idol 3 heat pts

d 
space
$2,926 | 7271500

On one hand that's true, BUT, PC's have modders and mods. This is the biggest difference between consoles and PC's as far as games go. A game's graphics can almost always be improved on PC's thanks to mods, along with additional content, etc. etc.
 02-20-2013, 05:47 PMaway - #7
Ciggavelli 35 heat pts35

d 
space
$1,867 | 20945075

I understand what you're saying, but I kinda disagree. PCs have triple monitor support (eyefinity or nvidia surround). No console can do that. So even if the graphics are only console quality, you're getting much more immersion. I have a powerful gaming rig, and it's about maxed out when I play on ultra settings at 5780 x 1080 (and I have a GTX 690).
 02-20-2013, 06:24 PMaway - #8
realgunta 662 heat pts662

d 
space
$13,753 | POWERFUL

^^^i agree 100%
 02-20-2013, 07:14 PMaway - #9

d 
space
$15,629 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DJ Idol
On one hand that's true, BUT, PC's have modders and mods. This is the biggest difference between consoles and PC's as far as games go. A game's graphics can almost always be improved on PC's thanks to mods, along with additional content, etc. etc.
That's my honest opinion.

If you feel like you're getting what you paid for, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise.

That's not my point.

I just don't like the business or the market or the economy of it all.

Nobody wants to break ground in the PC market.

Just make games for whoever moves the most units. And then take care of everyone else.

Sadly, it's been like that since the SNES and Genesis, but it never harmed the PC experience like this before.
 02-20-2013, 07:33 PMaway - #10
BRonin357 1 heat pts

d 
space
$4,101 | 15848541
I will say that PC's will stay ahead, but with this gen not so much! The architecture of each rig is made to have some future proofing in them. I mean how many PC gamers are electronics engineers and not just hobby guys with some extra cash and some time to review some gpu's and cpu's. Just think of that for a sec. I'm sure you PC guys don't wanna admit that, but do you really know what the !! your doing putting this card with this memory and this cpu to get maximum effect? Maybe, but like the average, probably not.
 02-20-2013, 07:38 PMaway - #11
Baynut 4 heat pts

d 
space
$4,523 | POWERFUL
PC gaming>>>
 02-20-2013, 07:43 PMaway - #12
Cya Nerd 153 heat pts153

d 
space
$13,399 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BRonin357
I will say that PC's will stay ahead, but with this gen not so much! The architecture of each rig is made to have some future proofing in them. I mean how many PC gamers are electronics engineers and not just hobby guys with some extra cash and some time to review some gpu's and cpu's. Just think of that for a sec. I'm sure you PC guys don't wanna admit that, but do you really know what the !! your doing putting this card with this memory and this cpu to get maximum effect? Maybe, but like the average, probably not.

02-20-2013, 07:45 PMaway - #13

d 
space
$15,629 | POWERFUL
 02-20-2013, 07:53 PMaway - #14
Willbeatz 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$3,870 | POWERFUL
That's my honest opinion.

If you feel like you're getting what you paid for, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise.

That's not my point.

I just don't like the business or the market or the economy of it all.

Nobody wants to break ground in the PC market.

Just make games for whoever moves the most units. And then take care of everyone else.

Sadly, it's been like that since the SNES and Genesis, but it never harmed the PC experience like this before.
You're right again no one wants to break ground on the PC platform because they know they can't put out crap productions and get away with it, instead they keep peddling crap to consoles while the mass of consumers are sheep who follow their masters.

you confused people who would buy a mass produced PC from a store with people who know wtf they're doing to build a PC for maximum performance. The people who do crossfire/sli or build ridiculous PC's do use them to their max potential.
 02-20-2013, 08:01 PMaway - #15
Apostrophe 

d 
space
$8,025 | 20589888
Originally Posted by DJ Idol
HD texture packs always drop for any top teir game. So even if the pc version started its life as a console port, by the time the modding community is done with it, the graphics have been supercharged and the games content has expanded so far beyond what came on the disc that is like night and day. The thing is, you don't even really need a super high end rig either. Most games, even with HD textures you can max out on a moderately decent system.
 02-20-2013, 08:31 PMaway - #16
rek0nize 52 heat pts52

d 
space
$7,711 | POWERFUL
PC Gaming has already seen its prime. It's nothing but downhill now.

Take LoL and WoW and Starcraft and Diablo away and you've lost 20-30 million PC players between those 4 games alone.

Blizzard knows the future, that's why they're tapping into the consoles now. They aren't stupid.
 02-20-2013, 08:33 PMaway - #17
rek0nize 52 heat pts52

d 
space
$7,711 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
It's been on a downhill slope for a long time.

It's not 2000 anymore.
 02-20-2013, 08:36 PMaway - #18
Willbeatz 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$3,870 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by rek0nize
PC Gaming has already seen its prime. It's nothing but downhill now.

Take LoL and WoW and Starcraft and Diablo away and you've lost 20-30 million PC players between those 4 games alone.

Blizzard knows the future, that's why they're tapping into the consoles now. They aren't stupid.
Someone hasn't played Diablo 3.
 02-20-2013, 08:39 PMaway - #19
ThaReapa420 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$28,852 | POWERFUL
The flexibility of the PC and being able to swap parts to always be top of the line will always give it an advantage...gaming on a Console will always be more desirable to non graphics chicks...
 02-20-2013, 08:41 PMaway - #20
Arson 79 heat pts79

d 
space
$26,394 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by rek0nize
It's been on a downhill slope for a long time.

It's not 2000 anymore.
what? PC gaming is regaining some traction thanks to the indie game scene and steam. Where have you been?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Dangerously's Strange Fruit 2: Stephania Bell
54 comments
PS4 hits 7 million units sold
75 comments
Article inside  Activision indefinitely postpones Xbox One version o..
64 comments
 Article inside In Other News Nas Lost Again: Kelis Just Tossed A Few ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 120 comments - by CrunchTime CDN
 Video inside Man These Lil Nikkas In Chicago Wild As Fk (must Watch)
New reply 47 minutes ago - 138 comments - by Fen
 Image(s) inside 50 Cent Calls Puff Daddy's "big Homie" Recor...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 NBA Espn 30 For 30 - 'bad Boys' (video - Trailer)
New reply 59 minutes ago - 371 comments - by Matrix
  Chiwire Season 5: Supposedly Durk Got Choked Out By Re...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 116 comments - by HeatMafia410
 NBA Kobe To Begin Epic 6-month Training Program
New reply 1 hour ago - 56 comments - by ogballer32
 Article inside Mimi Faust, Nikko $10 Million $ex Tape Deal
New reply 17 minutes ago - 66 comments - by sammy1990
 Article inside Chingy Says A Trans$exual Ruined His Rap Career
New reply 1 hour ago - 67 comments - by A.Dot789

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,699 fans of BX | none new today 4,654 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.