b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Based Gaben sees "Three tiers of price for Steambox lowest at $99"

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

join bx

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Based Gaben sees "Three tiers of price for Steambox lowest at $99"
topic by Da Ill One - 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Since Valve, along with collaborator Xi3, decided to show off a prototype Steambox at CES, the "living room PC" has been in the minds of gaming fans everywhere -- and understandably so. Valve's machinations could very well shake the industry at its core and change the landscape forever.

While we still do not know when it will be out or how exactly it will work, we might have an idea on its price already.

In an interview with The Verge, Valve CEO Gabe Newell reveals their target pricing for Steambox built by partners. Newell sees three tiers of price ranges that specific to each hardware specification, a "Good, Better, Best."

Valve's goal for the "Good" platform tier is "free" device, but realistically would likely start at $99 and eventually go down. The "Better" is a mid-range unit that should be around $300, and the "Best" is the top-tier device that will only be limited by how much someone is willing to spend on it.

It's just like choosing which device is best suited to your gaming needs like a PC, but in a more conventional set-up box. And you know what? I like it! The only concern I see now is games compatibility. I mean, can the $99 model play what the $300 model can but in a lower graphical setting or not at all?

Hopefully, these questions and more will be answered as we go deeper into 2013. Valve's director of marketing Doug Lombard did say that we should hear more about Valve's first official foray into our living rooms in the coming months.

Would you want the Steambox to be released in a tiered price range or will it just confuse consumers? If they did do something like this, how do you see Sony and Microsoft reacting?

Source

4 comments for "Based Gaben sees "Three tiers of price for Steambox lowest at $99""

01-09-2013, 09:43 AMaway - #2
DarkSidesHero 304 heat pts304

d 
space
$8,932 | POWERFUL
This will be interesting
 01-09-2013, 10:58 AMaway - #3
Y.G. 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$27,152 | POWERFUL
I remember when the PC gamers said this bull#### was going to k!ll off consoles.
 01-09-2013, 11:13 AMonline - #4
Msirae Faythung 230 heat pts230

d 
space
$5,966 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Da Ill One

It's just like choosing which device is best suited to your gaming needs like a PC, but in a more conventional set-up box. And you know what? I like it! The only concern I see now is games compatibility. I mean, can the $99 model play what the $300 model can but in a lower graphical setting or not at all?

This.
 01-09-2013, 12:12 PMaway - #5
ThePainkiller 303 heat pts303

d 
space
$55,005 | POWERFUL
Obviously the difference would just be the graphical power.

Image inside  Rate My Air Jordan 13 Restoration
71 comments
Dec 15 - Sandy Hook families sue gunmaker
53 comments
Image inside  Dec 16 - Report: Darren Wilson's Key Witness Lied Abo..
62 comments
 NFL Nfl Playoff Changes Likely
New reply 2 minutes ago - 86 comments - by MGz
 Image(s) inside North Korea Finally Got Seth Rogen And James Franco Sh...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 51 comments - by all3rd
 Image(s) inside The Moment You Realized Wrestling Was Fake
New reply 6 minutes ago - 92 comments - by Sphynx
 NBA King James Salutes His Uncle
New reply 15 minutes ago - 57 comments - by MGz
 NBA Sweet Lou Got 2 Girls That Knows They Being Shared #sa...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 71 comments - by BronxBombers
 Image(s) inside J. Cole At 250k Albums Sold With Only 50% Of Sales In
New reply 21 minutes ago - 137 comments - by mross16
  [hell Has Frozen Over] Tadoe Just Dropped Dmoty (break...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 54 comments - by Nasty Neighbor
  Nicki Minaj's The Pink Print Projected To Sell...
New reply 23 minutes ago - 141 comments - by King Henry

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,899 fans of BX | none new today 4,846 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.