This is BX @ Boxden.com

As Valve confirms the Steam Box, Microsoft's Phil Harrison issues a warning

New replies will show automatically every 15 second(s) Automatic thread refreshing has been stopped because you appear to be idle. Un-Idle - Reload

As Valve confirms the Steam Box, Microsoft's Phil Harrison issues a warning
 01-13-2013, 10:13 AMaway - #21
ThePainkiller 298 heat pts298

d 
space
$52,655 | POWERFUL
Valve isn't directly competing with consoles. You have to understand that.
 01-13-2013, 10:34 AMaway - #22
Tiko377 899 heat pts899

d 
space
$7,722 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ThePainkiller
Valve isn't directly competing with consoles. You have to understand that.
what do you mean? i would think they are competing with consoles....they want to sell the "console" they make dont they?

anyways i am getting more and more interested about this system...wonder if half life gonna be a exclusive to this.....
 01-13-2013, 11:19 AMaway - #23
Willbeatz 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$5,169 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Tiko377
what do you mean? i would think they are competing with consoles....they want to sell the "console" they make dont they?

anyways i am getting more and more interested about this system...wonder if half life gonna be a exclusive to this.....
GabeN said something along the lines of he doesn't think next gen consoles wouldn't be good enough hardware wise so valve might make their own. And well they are so most likely Valve games will be exclusive.

I'm just curious to see if it's going to be a full on pc or a console with just steam and an Internet browser.

Oh and typing on a controller in big picture mode is awesome. Sony and M$ need to take notes.
 01-13-2013, 12:15 PMaway - #24
Jersey732 6 heat pts

d 
space
$4,295 | 16142361
Originally Posted by Zaosyn
I don't even think Valve is trying to compete. I don't look at the Steam Box as direct competition with gaming consoles. I look at the Steam Box as an alternative to PC gaming without a PC, for the people who aren't tech savvy and want to enjoy PC games. There's alot of bonuses to having a Steam Box, you get great deals on great games, some that are only exclusive to a PC, you get to play online for free, you get a choice between playing with a controller or mouse+Keyboard (in theory), your games that you buy on your computer can be played on your Steam Box anywhere or at home on your PC. So if you have a pc + steam box, you don't need to use your PC, duh.

It's more of a convenience type thing to me. I couldn't see myself with one unless it got a price drop ($300 is too much when I got a computer capable of playing most games I wanna play). But I can only see this box being a huge plus for Valve because the people who buy it are all gonna be buying #### from the Steam Store. That's more revenue for them.

I do ponder how they're gonna distribute it. I doubt you're gonna see this thing at Walmarts. Might see it at Best Buy, probably have to order it online like the Nexus 7 or something.
One of the great things that valve is doing is partnering with other companies and having them make their own steambox.
at CES there was maybe 7 different prototypes on display from each company so you'll be able to pick which system fits you

Valve havent released their console and customizable controller yet(removable/rearrange buttons, switch thumbsticks to trackballs) but they said their steambox will only be sold at the steam store.

Lowest price steambox will be $99 which is going to be a cloud device using nvidia grid or something along the lines of splashtop
sounds like a perfect option for users like you that already have a computer/laptop capable of gaming
 01-13-2013, 12:35 PMaway - #25
DarkSidesHero 304 heat pts304

d 
space
$8,933 | POWERFUL

01-13-2013, 12:43 PMonline - #26
katalist 171 heat pts171

d 
space
$33,560 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by r.burgundy
that wasnt a huge risk.digital is much cheaper and easier to dsitribute,and really was tha next logical step in game distribution
It is easy to say taht from your computer chair, but there was alot of industry insiders at the time steam started that said it would FAIL hard. People dont wanna downloiad games, they want em in there hands people said.

It was a HUGE moment in gaming, valve >>
 01-13-2013, 01:51 PMaway - #27
HiRolliN 102 heat pts102

d 
space
$14,671 | POWERFUL

there not competing against console which is why there allowing different companies to make there own versions of the steam box. like i said there trying to expand there steam app to more users. they know consoles have there own market share/loyal fan base and are smart not to compete with them and just stay in a lane of there own.
 01-13-2013, 02:46 PMonline - #28
dadon85 72 heat pts72

d 
space
$11,780 | POWERFUL
Price, online, games, media, etc...

Used games/act codes/mod

See which one I'm coppin.
 01-13-2013, 09:50 PMaway - #29
BRonin357 1 heat pts

d 
space
$4,274 | 16464245
People fail to forget that XBL (2002) was out before Steam (2003). And for PC users (when it boils down to it DL the game to their HDD anyway) steam made more sense than console gamers doing that in some cases. I think steam is great for PC users, but I'm a big console guy cuz I don't have the funds to continually future proof my laptop/desktop to play the latest and greatest.

I think steam is gonna do some decent initial numbers, but it depends on when the real next gen systems drop and what they have in store. If hard graphical pushes and increased download services aren't brought hard, then Steam and Ouya (to a smaller extent) will have a foothold to grasp.
 01-13-2013, 09:59 PMaway - #30
HiRolliN 102 heat pts102

d 
space
$14,671 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BRonin357
People fail to forget that XBL (2002) was out before Steam (2003). And for PC users (when it boils down to it DL the game to their HDD anyway) steam made more sense than console gamers doing that in some cases. I think steam is great for PC users, but I'm a big console guy cuz I don't have the funds to continually future proof my laptop/desktop to play the latest and greatest.

I think steam is gonna do some decent initial numbers, but it depends on when the real next gen systems drop and what they have in store. If hard graphical pushes and increased download services aren't brought hard, then Steam and Ouya (to a smaller extent) will have a foothold to grasp.
Lol yes Xbox live was released before steam but Xbox live was for online play ONLY (i know cause i got xbox live when it was in beta and and still have it to this day).

Steam brought digital download to the forefront and Xbox live didn't get into the digital download load service game until a few years ago.

The OG Xbox never had digital download of full games. Hell the OG Xbox didn't even have a marketplace to explore for content. the way you downloaded map packs was threw the in-game menu and not the dashboard.

the steam app is what can be compared to what the xbox live marketplace or PSN/SEN store is today except they were the first to do it right when it comes to digital download back in 03

Last edited by HiRolliN; 01-13-2013 at 10:28 PM..
 01-14-2013, 08:02 PMaway - #31

d 
space
$8,933 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BRonin357
I think steam is great for PC users, but I'm a big console guy cuz I don't have the funds to continually future proof my laptop/desktop to play the latest and greatest.
I'm TIRED of people giving this lame excuse as to why they won't game on the PC. Let me break this down to you and everyone else

Hard drive & RAM = Cheap and you don't need to worry about upgrading them pretty much ever. 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/1866Mhz RAM and you'll be set for a long time.

CPU - There are people still using old a$s AMD Phenom and Intels and they're still able to run all the new games with no problem. What does this mean? It means you don't have to go buying the newest CPU that comes out every other month or year.

GPU - Same thing with the CPU. People are using cards that are now about to be 2 generations old (ie 560 & 6970) and others a bit older, and guess what, they're still able to run all the games nowadays with no problem.

I sold my 6950 (then got a 6990) to someone about 3 years ago, dude is still using it with no problems. I had a 6990 till last month and got a 680. That 6990 would have lasted me a few more years since the card is a beast. ONLY reason why I got the 680 was because I wanted to try out Nvidia.

After reading that I'm sure you'll see my point. You don't need to "continously future proof" your PC to the latest hardware when your current hardware is running everything just fine and dandy. Unfortunately there are A LOT of people that don't understand this which is why they stay away from it.
 01-15-2013, 11:48 AMaway - #32
HiRolliN 102 heat pts102

d 
space
$14,671 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DarkSidesHero
I'm TIRED of people giving this lame excuse as to why they won't game on the PC. Let me break this down to you and everyone else

Hard drive & RAM = Cheap and you don't need to worry about upgrading them pretty much ever. 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/1866Mhz RAM and you'll be set for a long time.

CPU - There are people still using old a$s AMD Phenom and Intels and they're still able to run all the new games with no problem. What does this mean? It means you don't have to go buying the newest CPU that comes out every other month or year.

GPU - Same thing with the CPU. People are using cards that are now about to be 2 generations old (ie 560 & 6970) and others a bit older, and guess what, they're still able to run all the games nowadays with no problem.

I sold my 6950 (then got a 6990) to someone about 3 years ago, dude is still using it with no problems. I had a 6990 till last month and got a 680. That 6990 would have lasted me a few more years since the card is a beast. ONLY reason why I got the 680 was because I wanted to try out Nvidia.

After reading that I'm sure you'll see my point. You don't need to "continously future proof" your PC to the latest hardware when your current hardware is running everything just fine and dandy. Unfortunately there are A LOT of people that don't understand this which is why they stay away from it.
but that makes to much sense DarkSideHero and because of that we shouldnt listen and ignore it.
 01-15-2013, 11:56 AMonline - #33
Infamous2o1x 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$10,308 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
I got you homie.
 01-15-2013, 11:56 AMaway - #34

d 
space
$8,933 | POWERFUL
 01-16-2013, 02:59 AMaway - #35
TrainWreck 

d 
space
$1,040 | 1767093
Originally Posted by DarkSidesHero

I agree. There is also a lot of people who can't be arsed to figure out how to buy a PC part for part and build it. I know a lot of people who think Im a computer "wiz" because I can take the side panel off a computer, name everything inside and apply new hardware etc etc...

My point is, Consoles are quick and easy, plug it in, put a game in and play. Computers, there are tons of variables, from system specs to drivers etc etc. People dont care about games enough to make sure everything stays on point. Not to mention malware and viruses that eat up peoples resources. Unless you really enjoy gaming, the average Gamer is not going to put in the time, effort and money into PC gaming.

New replies will show automatically every 15 second(s) Automatic thread refreshing has been stopped because you appear to be idle. Un-Idle - Reload

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Nicki Minaj - Anaconda [Music Video]
192 comments
Aug 18 - Mike Brown Paid for Rillos , and Store Owners reported..
176 comments
Image inside  Aug 19 - Breaking: Another Suspect Dead In St. Louis ..
58 comments
  Rapper Gucci Mane Sentenced On Federal Gun Charge To 3...
New reply 5 seconds ago - 56 comments - by GameTheory
 NBA Report: Drose Has Pain In His Knee....fml!
New reply 4 minutes ago - 90 comments - by sportzzbrainz
 NBA Magic Johnson: "no Team In The East Will Want To ...
New reply 1 minute ago - 242 comments - by Motion
  If You Could Bring Back One Cancelled Tv Show And/or A...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 105 comments - by thirsty91
 Video inside Ludacris Or Ti
New reply 2 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Sean McDevitt
 Article inside Tnt Inside The Nba To Be Featured In Nba 2k15
New reply 14 minutes ago - 62 comments - by YoungInfamous
 Image(s) inside Aug 19 - Jesse Jackson Asking Protesters For Donations...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 62 comments - by ZeusSlaps
  Confirmed: The Rock Is Shazam
New reply 16 minutes ago - 54 comments - by P DRILLA

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.