This is BX @ Boxden.com

As Valve confirms the Steam Box, Microsoft's Phil Harrison issues a warning

As Valve confirms the Steam Box, Microsoft's Phil Harrison issues a warning
topic by Tiko377 - 01-11-2013, 10:51 PM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

"Entering the hardware business is really tough..."

Valve hit the headlines this week with the confirmation that it will enter the console business with its own Steam Box.

For the Half-Life company it marks a desire to take on Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo with its own hardware powered by Steam and Linux.

Today, Phil Harrison, Microsoft Studios executive, ex-Sony PlayStation development boss and console business veteran, issued a warning to Valve and the companies behind the raft of new "micro-consoles" in the works.

"Entering the hardware business is a really tough business," he said. "You have to have great fortitude to be in the hardware business and you have to have deep pockets and a very strong balance sheet. It's not possible for every new hardware entrant to get to scale.

"They can be successful at small scale. But it's very rare for a new hardware entrant to get to scale, and I mean tens or hundreds of millions of units. There are a very small number of companies that can make that happen.

"And it's not just having a great brand or a great software experience. It's about having a supply chain and a distribution model and a manufacturing capacity and all the things that go with it. It's a non-trivial problem to solve and it takes thousands of people to make reality."

Valve is perhaps uniquely positioned to create its own console given the vast revenues its digital store Steam generates for the firm, but it is still a new area of business for the company that made its name making games.

"I admire Valve as a company and what they've achieved with Steam," Harrison continued when asked if Microsoft would be satisfied if, in two years' time, it had emulated the success of Steam with its own cloud gaming offering.

"So I wouldn't in any way criticise what they've achieved and the role they've played in the industry. But I'm not sure we would choose Steam as a benchmark of success. We would always seek to innovate and push beyond.

"Xbox Live as a foundation, the reach we have and the experience we deliver is a great place to build on."

Xbox Live currently enjoys over 40 million users from over 70 million Xbox 360s sold. Steam enjoys over 50 million active users.

Despite the apparent threat posed by the Steam Box and the Android-powered Ouya, Harrison welcomed their ilk. "Any new entrant, without being specific to any company or brand or product, to the games industry is ultimately a good thing, because it helps validate, grow and enhance consumer excitement and consumer interest in our category. So, ultimately, it's a win for everybody."

As Valve confirms the Steam Box, Microsoft's Phil Harrison issues a warning • News • Eurogamer.net

Latest Games Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

35 comments for "As Valve confirms the Steam Box, Microsoft's Phil Harrison issues a warning"

01-11-2013, 10:58 PMaway - #2
HATEWILL! 39 heat pts39

d 
space
$18,158 | POWERFUL
i like when people bold the key points of the article so i dont need to read the whole thing...
 01-11-2013, 11:09 PMaway - #3
Jesszman 2179 heat pts2179

d 
space
$29,468 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by H4T3W1LL!
i like when people bold the key points of the article so i dont need to read the whole thing...
I got you homie.

"Entering the hardware business is really tough..."

Valve hit the headlines this week with the confirmation that it will enter the console business with its own Steam Box.

For the Half-Life company it marks a desire to take on Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo with its own hardware powered by Steam and Linux.

Today, Phil Harrison, Microsoft Studios executive, ex-Sony PlayStation development boss and console business veteran, issued a warning to Valve and the companies behind the raft of new "micro-consoles" in the works.

"Entering the hardware business is a really tough business," he said. "You have to have great fortitude to be in the hardware business and you have to have deep pockets and a very strong balance sheet. It's not possible for every new hardware entrant to get to scale.

"They can be successful at small scale. But it's very rare for a new hardware entrant to get to scale, and I mean tens or hundreds of millions of units. There are a very small number of companies that can make that happen.

"And it's not just having a great brand or a great software experience. It's about having a supply chain and a distribution model and a manufacturing capacity and all the things that go with it. It's a non-trivial problem to solve and it takes thousands of people to make reality."

Valve is perhaps uniquely positioned to create its own console given the vast revenues its digital store Steam generates for the firm, but it is still a new area of business for the company that made its name making games.

"I admire Valve as a company and what they've achieved with Steam," Harrison continued when asked if Microsoft would be satisfied if, in two years' time, it had emulated the success of Steam with its own cloud gaming offering.

"So I wouldn't in any way criticise what they've achieved and the role they've played in the industry. But I'm not sure we would choose Steam as a benchmark of success. We would always seek to innovate and push beyond.

"Xbox Live as a foundation, the reach we have and the experience we deliver is a great place to build on."

Xbox Live currently enjoys over 40 million users from over 70 million Xbox 360s sold. Steam enjoys over 50 million active users.

Despite the apparent threat posed by the Steam Box and the Android-powered Ouya, Harrison welcomed their ilk. "Any new entrant, without being specific to any company or brand or product, to the games industry is ultimately a good thing, because it helps validate, grow and enhance consumer excitement and consumer interest in our category. So, ultimately
, it's a win for everybody."
 01-11-2013, 11:22 PMaway - #4
Msirae Faythung 214 heat pts214

d 
space
$5,774 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
I got you homie.
 01-11-2013, 11:43 PMonline - #5
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$26,792 | POWERFUL
He's not lying, that's for sure. If anyone could succeed in the space, Steam would be at the top of my list.
 01-12-2013, 01:17 AMaway - #6
mystic boy 216 heat pts216

d 
space
$4,470 | POWERFUL
MS shook
 01-12-2013, 01:23 AMonline - #7
Krazie 93 heat pts93

d 
space
$26,792 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by mystic boy
MS shook
Goku's shook.

01-12-2013, 01:31 AMaway - #8
mystic boy 216 heat pts216

d 
space
$4,470 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Krazie
Goku's shook.

He just didn't know about the sun. That's all
 01-12-2013, 01:43 AMaway - #9
LaRy BLanco 455 heat pts455

d 
space
$36,004 | POWERFUL
I got you homie.
####ing
 01-12-2013, 08:08 AMaway - #10
ham00di 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$1,435 | 17910645
I got you homie.
ahahahhaha
 01-12-2013, 10:08 AMaway - #11
katalist 178 heat pts178

d 
space
$33,923 | POWERFUL
Starting Digital Distribution for games was a HUGE risk to... yet Valve and steam k!lled it. Now look at all the services offering digital download games! (From xboxlive and psn to other pc digital download services such as Origin, Gamersgate, Green Man Gaming, Amazon,etc..).

Alot of people thought Gabe was silly for putting so much effort and money into Digital Downloads, now look at the millions on steam each day.

If there is one company that knows they #### its valve.
 01-12-2013, 10:13 AMaway - #12
Msirae Faythung 214 heat pts214

d 
space
$5,774 | POWERFUL
With current consoles moving further away from gaming and turning into entertainment systems, there might be a gap in the market that Valve can fill.
 01-12-2013, 10:37 AMaway - #13
UpTownBronx92 217 heat pts217

d 
space
$8,286 | POWERFUL
I got you homie.
 01-12-2013, 11:58 AMaway - #14
Ra-da-god 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,963 | POWERFUL
He ain't lying, son know what's up just working on the ps3 all those years....

This is getting interesting, I don't think m$ has anything to fear but who's knows this thing could really take off....
 01-12-2013, 12:49 PMaway - #15
r.burgundy 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$31,753 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by katalist
Starting Digital Distribution for games was a HUGE risk to... yet Valve and steam k!lled it. Now look at all the services offering digital download games! (From xboxlive and psn to other pc digital download services such as Origin, Gamersgate, Green Man Gaming, Amazon,etc..).

Alot of people thought Gabe was silly for putting so much effort and money into Digital Downloads, now look at the millions on steam each day.

If there is one company that knows they #### its valve.
that wasnt a huge risk.digital is much cheaper and easier to dsitribute,and really was tha next logical step in game distribution
 01-12-2013, 01:05 PMaway - #16
whateverman 

d 
space
$202 | 984248
I got you homie.

01-12-2013, 11:02 PMaway - #17
XxC4xX 3 heat pts

d 
space
$7,003 | 10037507
as usual M$ gives props, wheres jezz with that gold old fanboy hate
 01-13-2013, 12:04 AMaway - #18
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$13,113 | POWERFUL
I don't even think Valve is trying to compete. I don't look at the Steam Box as direct competition with gaming consoles. I look at the Steam Box as an alternative to PC gaming without a PC, for the people who aren't tech savvy and want to enjoy PC games. There's alot of bonuses to having a Steam Box, you get great deals on great games, some that are only exclusive to a PC, you get to play online for free, you get a choice between playing with a controller or mouse+Keyboard (in theory), your games that you buy on your computer can be played on your Steam Box anywhere or at home on your PC. So if you have a pc + steam box, you don't need to use your PC, duh.

It's more of a convenience type thing to me. I couldn't see myself with one unless it got a price drop ($300 is too much when I got a computer capable of playing most games I wanna play). But I can only see this box being a huge plus for Valve because the people who buy it are all gonna be buying #### from the Steam Store. That's more revenue for them.

I do ponder how they're gonna distribute it. I doubt you're gonna see this thing at Walmarts. Might see it at Best Buy, probably have to order it online like the Nexus 7 or something.
 01-13-2013, 12:19 AMonline - #19
HiRolliN 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$15,180 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Zaosyn
I don't even think Valve is trying to compete. I don't look at the Steam Box as direct competition with gaming consoles. I look at the Steam Box as an alternative to PC gaming without a PC, for the people who aren't tech savvy and want to enjoy PC games. There's alot of bonuses to having a Steam Box, you get great deals on great games, some that are only exclusive to a PC, you get to play online for free, you get a choice between playing with a controller or mouse+Keyboard (in theory), your games that you buy on your computer can be played on your Steam Box anywhere or at home on your PC. So if you have a pc + steam box, you don't need to use your PC, duh.

It's more of a convenience type thing to me. I couldn't see myself with one unless it got a price drop ($300 is too much when I got a computer capable of playing most games I wanna play). But I can only see this box being a huge plus for Valve because the people who buy it are all gonna be buying #### from the Steam Store. That's more revenue for them.

I do ponder how they're gonna distribute it. I doubt you're gonna see this thing at Walmarts. Might see it at Best Buy, probably have to order it online like the Nexus 7 or something.

ive said this plenty of timse already there trying to make it more user friendly while also expanding there steam app/user base.

i would expect the major computer hardware online sellers like newegg and tigerdirect to be main sellers of these boxes tho. i doubt walmart, bestbuy, tartget ect to carry these things right away tho because there are gonna be different companies that manufacture the steambox, so it will take some time to see which manufacture will have the best specs for the lowest price.

Last edited by HiRolliN; 01-13-2013 at 12:27 AM..
 01-13-2013, 09:17 AMaway - #20
nyc 1 heat pts

d 
space
$879 | 3489045
I got you homie.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Hannibal Buress Called Bill Cosby a Rapist During a St..
69 comments
Video inside  Xbox Won multitasking at work (Party/Movie/Game)
98 comments
NBA Derrick Rose puts Kyrie Irving in the Spin Cycle (gif)
55 comments
 MLB The 2014 World Series: Kansas City Royals Vs. San Fran...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 366 comments - by !!!
 Image(s) inside Oct 20 - You Can Turn A $2000 Shipping Container Into ...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 68 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
  Chief Keef Dropped From Interscope
New reply 6 minutes ago - 315 comments - by youngige
 NFL Peyton Manning Sex Scandal: Largely Forgotten, Even Wi...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 75 comments - by illmatic826
 Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds 2 Ig Comment
New reply 6 minutes ago - 67 comments - by Dray
 Video inside Dej Loaf X Dj Whoo Kid - Bird Call (official Music Vid...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 64 comments - by akverse47
 Image(s) inside New Drake Meme
New reply 12 minutes ago - 52 comments - by donmagic901
 Video inside Smack/url Presents- Shotgun Suge Vs Charron [discussio...
New reply 27 minutes ago - 123 comments - by ZeusSlaps

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,828 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,795 following and 6 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.