This is BX @ Boxden.com

343 Industries "made a lot of mistakes" with Halo 4, "we can do better"

343 Industries "made a lot of mistakes" with Halo 4, "we can do better"
topic by Jesszman - 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM - Boxden > BX GameSpot

Microsoft's 343 Industries is the internal development studio responsible for the Halo brand. Franchise development director Frank O'Connor says while it was the 8th game, it was their 1st.

He admits the studio has "a lot to learn," citing "a lot of mistakes" were made in Halo 4's development. O'Connor is adamant that it "wasn't half bad" for a first effort at Halo.

They had the huge daunting task of stepping into the big boots of Bungie, as the Halo creator left the franchise behind with Microsoft to pursue other projects with Activision.

"Halo 4, despite being the seventh or eighth game in the Halo series (depending on how you count them), was our first game. That is to say, our first-ever fully fledged title, built from the ground up creatively and technologically," began Frank O'Connor's message to fans on the official Halo Waypoint community website.

"So let me save you the trouble of trolling my statement: We have a lot to learn. We made a lot of mistakes. We can do better. And we know this, and we will. But I don’t want to spend the first moments of the year thinking about the negatives, because frankly, I am incredibly proud of both the team and the game that team created."

"And for a first effort, it wasn’t half bad," added the Halo boss.

"Stepping into Bungie’s oversized shoes would have been difficult, even for a well-est@blished team. The challenge of wrangling that engine, that universe and that community was dizzying, even withering. Four years ago when our charter began, the challenge of starting the seed of a development team and then creating a sequel to Halo terrified us."

Looking to the future, O'Connor thanks the community that has arisen - "a demanding, imaginative, engaged, vocal, varied and intelligent swarm of personalities, groups and individuals, each with subtly to radically different interests in this vast and varied universe we’re charged with. That isn’t lip service, nor is it pandering. You guys pay for the privilege of playing our game, and you have every right to have a voice in its development," he continued.

"It may not have ended up precisely the way you imagined – there are simply too many voices and perspectives to make all of the people happy, all of the time – but we think of the community as a direct and democratic extension of the team and, indeed, of the development process."

O'Connor makes no specific mention of the next Halo instalment but it's likely to be a next-gen affair what with the new Xbox console looming over the industry. "Technically, this should be a retrospective, but it’s safe to say I’m more excited about the future than the past. Excited about what this team is already working on. Excited about what this team is capable of. And excited about the future of Halo. A future we want you to be a part of. A future we’re building for you."

Halo 4 released on Xbox 360 back in November with a generally high Metacritic of 87.
News: 343 Industries "made a lot of mistakes" with Halo 4, "we can do better" - Strategy Informer

Latest Games Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

22 comments for "343 Industries "made a lot of mistakes" with Halo 4, "we can do better""

01-25-2013, 07:28 PMaway - #2
rockcityv2 

d 
space
$333 | 526034
I thought it was the best SP since Halo 1 and the best MP since Halo 2...#### was piff..
 01-25-2013, 07:28 PMaway - #3
Jesszman 2180 heat pts2180

d 
space
$29,491 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by rockcityv2
I thought it was the best SP since Halo 1 and the best MP since Halo 2...#### was piff..
Yeah, I really want to play this because of the single player. Glad to hear it was good
 01-25-2013, 07:50 PMaway - #4
Soraci7 34 heat pts34

d 
space
$13,690 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
Yeah, I really want to play this because of the single player. Glad to hear it was good
Can you not troll for one day of your life Jizz Dagai?
 01-25-2013, 07:50 PMaway - #5

d 
space
$29,491 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Soraci7
Can you not troll for one day of your life Jizz Dagai?
Not trolling. The single player looks interesting. Not really interested in the multiplayer.
 01-25-2013, 08:16 PMaway - #6
Msirae Faythung 216 heat pts216

d 
space
$5,786 | POWERFUL
Not trolling. The single player looks interesting. Not really interested in the multiplayer.
It's the second worst single player in the franchise, after Reach, might even be worse than Reach.
 01-25-2013, 08:19 PMaway - #7

d 
space
$29,491 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Msirae
It's the second worst single player in the franchise, after Reach, might even be worse than Reach.
well considering I've never played Halo for its story (i did enjoy 3's "race to the finish" type ending though) it can't be that bad. Hopefully i'll play it one of these days.
 01-25-2013, 10:01 PMaway - #8
Final Boss 108 heat pts108

d 
space
$5,298 | POWERFUL
i didnt buy it cuz im sick of giving M$ an annual tax for invisible air...360 been collecting dust for 4 years
 01-25-2013, 10:02 PMaway - #9

d 
space
$29,491 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Final Boss
i didnt buy it cuz im sick of giving M$ an annual tax for invisible air...360 been collecting dust for 4 years
Damn son. Why not just sell it?
 01-25-2013, 10:12 PMaway - #10
Final Boss 108 heat pts108

d 
space
$5,298 | POWERFUL
Damn son. Why not just sell it?
cuz its the old 60 gb phat model and id get like 40$....not even worth my time
 01-25-2013, 10:16 PMaway - #11

d 
space
$29,491 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Final Boss
cuz its the old 60 gb phat model and id get like 40$....not even worth my time
oh, dang.
 01-25-2013, 10:25 PMaway - #12
Ra-da-god 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,968 | POWERFUL
Haven't beat it yet but so Far halo 4 has one of the best SP campaigns since The first and so did Reach for that matter
 01-25-2013, 11:30 PMaway - #13
titanreese 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$10,534 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Msirae
Although I enjoyed the single player..I semi agree with you...They dumbed it down so much it was straight ridiculous. Defeating the last boss involved pressing 4 buttons It was nothing to beat that game on legendary by yourself.

As the multiplayer goes...I enjoyed it alot..It reminded me of Halo 2 and 3 mutliplayer..Reach was unplayable in my opinion. The worst halo game I have ever played. I dont think I ever played a match where I didnt feel like I got cheated out of a k!ll. Single or Coop campaign wasnt bad with Reach. It couldnt make up for the multiplayer though

Last edited by titanreese; 01-25-2013 at 11:34 PM..
 01-26-2013, 02:21 AMaway - #14
Pleasure Boy 683 heat pts683

d 
space
$6,388 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Ra-da-god
Haven't beat it yet but so Far halo 4 has one of the best SP campaigns since The first and so did Reach for that matter
^This... I dont get gamers sometimes, 1st im a big fan of Halo jus wanna throw that out there, started playing the game this wk wit my boys, this is by far the best 1, people will give u credit when they 1st start playing a game, then #### on you right afta they finished wit the game, i enjoyed Reach aswell, i think people demands are too high lately... Like they constantly want more then blame the game when they dont get what they want... So im giving credit to 343 this is a entertaining game, afta this im waiting on Alien Colonial Marines for that 4player campaign
 01-26-2013, 04:04 AMaway - #15
Zaosyn 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$13,113 | POWERFUL
I wanna know why you think this #### is worse than REACH

H4 was a breath of ####ing fresh air from REACH. REACH pissed me off. Halo 4 had elements of Halo 3 MP with a little bit of REACH influence to modernize it which was great.
 01-26-2013, 05:06 AMaway - #16
Royce207 

d 
space
$2,942 | 6258767
^^^ one of the few agreeable comments in here .. can tell most of you commenting are casual halo multiplayers which is fine if you wanna discuss the campaign which i could care less about ..

people that take multiplayer seriously would be stupid to argue that the following made this game ####

1. instant spawns
2. join in progress ( search alone and join losing team/ search with a team and periodically get split up)
3. lack of playlists (multi team, action sack, btb objective, griffball, team snipes, anything ranked etc.)
4. no ranked playlists ( or game incorporated high skill rank)
5. top rank/sr too easy to max
6. Lobby menu interface ( glitchy as ####, cant view what playlist ppl are in/ how long til finished match/ what current score is, can't view if playing a team in lobby, cant talk to opponents pre game lobby)

just a few, I know there's more but its too late and im falling asleep .

edit: they launched this game months too early without a second thought at a proper beta test, didnt have enough playlist options to keep gamers interested and the general pop dropped from 350 k to the 65 k that play this game in the first month, same amount of people that played reach consistently ... theres a very small amount of halo fans left

Last edited by Royce207; 01-26-2013 at 05:13 AM..
 01-26-2013, 06:56 AMaway - #17
DominationCM 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,270 | POWERFUL
and I thought this was going to be one of the best online games this gen ...oh well up next is Halo 5
 01-26-2013, 07:36 AMaway - #18

d 
space
$29,491 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DominationCM
and I thought this was going to be one of the best online games this gen ...oh well up next is Halo 5
Don't forget about halo 6!
 01-26-2013, 07:43 AMaway - #19
DominationCM 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,270 | POWERFUL
Don't forget about halo 6!
I actually typed "and 6" at the end of my statement but I deleted it because...well you know how "these" ni##as can get
 01-26-2013, 10:40 AMaway - #20
LaRy BLanco 458 heat pts458

d 
space
$36,135 | POWERFUL
reach had the worst campaign in the series??? GTFO

havent even beat 4 yet but reach's campaign is right behind H3,only thing I didnt like about reach was the MP ranking

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX GameSpot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Find me a Soprano's or Breaking Bad scene fu-king with this
103 comments
Video inside  Introducing PS4 Share Play...
57 comments
Video inside  Sunset Overdrive Embargo Lifted early review
104 comments
 NCAAF Week 9 Cfb Thread(top 25 Only)
New reply 1 minute ago - 381 comments - by JBoogie
  Whats The Answer
New reply 13 minutes ago - 52 comments - by BMAN626
 NFL Top 10 Diva's In The Nfl
New reply 4 minutes ago - 61 comments - by italiansteve
  Oct 24 - Teacher Ashley Zehnder Faces Sex Charge After...
New reply 35 minutes ago - 77 comments - by Frasier
 audio inside Lupe Fiasco - Haile Selassie Ft. Nikki Jean (prod. By ...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 132 comments - by 10th Wonder
  The Game.....has One Of The Best Songs Of The Year.
New reply 36 minutes ago - 72 comments - by Littlefinger1
 Image(s) inside Oct 24 - Tlc Cancels Honey Boo Boo Over Mom's Child Mo...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 74 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 MMA Ufc 179: Aldo Vs. Mendes 2 Official Discussion Thread
New reply 51 minutes ago - 183 comments - by Gramz

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,801 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.